ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th July 2018, 07:34 AM   #81
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Why should i be bothered to show people on a random internet forum contrition?
I think the assembled company thinks it might help you grow as a person, realise that you acted like a dickhead and perhaps resolve not to be such a dickhead in future.

We're not really worried for your immortal soul, we'd just like the world to be a teeny, tiny bit nicer as a result of having one fewer person in it prepared to **** up someone else's day just for a bubble.

Quote:
If I owe anything to anyone, it would be the guy whose pizza got olives on it, but since he clearly died from olive allergy heart explosion syndrome, I consider the matter closed.

But it seems we've failed.
Old 14th July 2018, 08:08 AM   #82
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Pterodactyl, what did you expect would happen, when you told us that story? Were we supposed to see the humor in it and congratulate you on the cleverness of your prank?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 09:54 AM   #83
Spock Jenkins
Muse

If I owe anything to anyone, it would be the guy whose pizza got olives on it, but since he clearly died from olive allergy heart explosion syndrome, I consider the matter closed.
Sadly, you’re giving the impression of being one of those individuals who doesn’t believe allergies are real. It would likely take you having to call emergency when a loved one can’t breathe or is swelling up before you don’t think it’s a joke.

Reminds me of the “prank” some college kids pulled when they smeared peanut butter on their “friend” with an allergy. LOLZ!!!

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...as-just-a-joke

A real knee slapper! Sadly it’s a fairly common prank.

I have no idea if there is an olive allergy or not. Really wasn’t my point, other than to say if the customer was that emphatic, there may have been a reason beyond olives being disgusting. I do know I had never heard of my sons allergy until after we had taken him to ER and followed up with an allergist. I also know that when I’m trying to get him something at a restaurant, not many people have heard of it either. However, most people take it seriously. There is still a fear of running into an idiot who wants to prove us wrong.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 11:34 AM   #84
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Domino's founder is, of course, a right wing loon himself, of the sort for whom the Pope is insufficiently Catholic.
Ugh!
Old 14th July 2018, 11:49 AM   #85
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Yes, but he seems to be able to keep it under control enough so he doesn't alienate the pizza buying public. I live in a neighborhood that would despise Monaghan if they put in the energy to find out about him. However, I still see lots of Domino's cars in the evenings.
I don't think he's had much, if anything, to do with the company in quite a long while.
Old 14th July 2018, 12:28 PM   #86
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
... I think I'm done with this and anyone else can have the last word on it...

Perhaps it's a Bigfoot thread participant thing?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 01:29 PM   #87
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Pterodactyl, what did you expect would happen, when you told us that story? Were we supposed to see the humor in it and congratulate you on the cleverness of your prank?

No, we're supposed to learn how to get free olives on our pizzas.

If you tried to actually order "olive slices carefully hidden under each piece of pepperoni" you'd have to pay extra for it, if they were even willing to do it at all.

ETA: Maybe I'll see if this can work in a bar. "I'd like an empty shot glass, please. Whatever you do, don't put any 16 year old single malt in it. Especially not an Islay, I can't stand those."

Last edited by Myriad; 14th July 2018 at 03:12 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 04:02 PM   #88
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

If you tried to actually order "olive slices carefully hidden under each piece of pepperoni" you'd have to pay extra for it, if they were even willing to do it at all.

ETA: Maybe I'll see if this can work in a bar. "I'd like an empty shot glass, please. Whatever you do, don't put any 16 year old single malt in it. Especially not an Islay, I can't stand those."
If that works I will be the first to call pterodactyl my lord and saviour. Until then he is being a bigger jerk than the guy ordering the pizza.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 04:11 PM   #89
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Ugh!
How dare a devoutly religious person run a business!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 04:12 PM   #90
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

Well, I can't deny you are a man of taste, at least.
Old 14th July 2018, 05:24 PM   #91
Minoosh
Philosopher

Monaghan, Papa John, Herman Cain ... do pizza chains attract conservatives or is it the other way around? I can enjoy the stuff they serve at high schools (e.g. Little Caesar's), so, not a snob here. But I'd like a slight upgrade. Pizza Hut give me indigestion. I've gotten used to the sweet taste of Papa John's, but it also seems to be about half crust.

I'm going to audition some standalone places in the immediate area on the theory that there might be little-known gems nearby. But really, it's kind of a crappy neighborhood.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 07:08 PM   #92
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
<snip>

I'm going to audition some standalone places in the immediate area on the theory that there might be little-known gems nearby. But really, it's kind of a crappy neighborhood.

That's exactly the kind of neighborhood to find a really good, family owned and operated pizzeria.

Dingy, run-down strip malls are a good sign, too.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 09:02 PM   #93
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I think that the reason you've been getting so many negative comments is that you say "Dude was a grade A jerk" but you haven't actually said anything jerky that he did except stress that he didn't want olives. Which doesn't seem to be much a jerk move and certainly doesn't merit giving him olives.

Apparently, "this a-hole dude" CAPITALIZED:

One time this a-hole dude called in an order for a pepperoni pizza "with NO OLIVES! I absolutely HATE OLIVES. DO NOT PUT ANY OLIVES ON MY PIZZA"
Of course we carefully hid a sliced olive or two underneath every pepperoni. heh.
I am saying I still laugh when I think about it though. Dude was a grade A jerk..
Introspection over putting olives on a pizza when I was 16. Got it.

And how old are you now?!

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
I have no idea if there is an olive allergy or just a general revulsion.

It’s not nearly as common as olive pollen allergy, but but it’s there.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 09:27 PM   #94
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Dingy, run-down strip malls are a good sign, too.
I tried one tonight and it was pretty good, but it had the opposite problem from Papa John's - strong toppings threatened to undermine a decent crust.

Pizza seems to regress to the mean due to its strong association with comfort/party food. Gourmet mustard took off, but not gourmet ketchup, because people want ketchup to taste pretty much the same everywhere; that's what ketchup is for.

ETA: I deduced it had to be in a certain strip mall based on land-use patterns in my city. It still took 2 passes to find, after I had already looked it up, gotten directions etc. from home. I did not have my phone with me. I never would have found it if not for the fact that I expected it to be in a certain strip mall.

Last edited by Minoosh; 14th July 2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Fiddling around
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 10:09 PM   #95
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think the assembled company thinks it might help you grow as a person, realise that you acted like a dickhead and perhaps resolve not to be such a dickhead in future.
I'm skeptical.

I think the assembled company look for any excuse to signal virtue, and you see it over and over in threads. It's a pathetic cry for attention really, this new internet fascism. Find some perceived moral lapse, no matter how small, and use it as an excuse to insult or degrade another thereby making yourselves look better. Like the fit people who humblebrag posts in the weight loss threads. It's a lame, obvious and transparent attempt to feel superior.

This is also religious behavior. Decry the moral failings of others and demand the contrition of people who owe you nothing.

Let's be honest. You all don't give a damn if I grow as a person, and I don't care if you die in a fire tomorrow. Because we don't know each other. This site is good for a few things, but regular, human conversation isn't one of them. It's too laden with superficial and insecure phonies. Can't discuss a dumb prank from 20+ years ago without the righteous going on the attack. Is this how you people communicate in social settings? I bet that's great fun at parties.

Anyway, I still don't care, but let's see how long we can string out the faux outrage with references to statistically insignificant, but technically possible food allergies, and the innate evil it requires to put olives on a pizza. Im genuinely curious if this stems from boredom or insecurity.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 14th July 2018 at 10:16 PM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 10:23 PM   #96
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This site is good for a few things, but regular, human conversation isn't one of them. It's too laden with superficial and insecure phonies. Can't discuss a dumb prank from 20+ years ago without the righteous going on the attack.
You do realize that your story described a self-righteous act against an "a-hole dude" who deserved it because he was a "grade A jerk", right?

I'm sure nobody intends to berate you over the situation every time you make an appearance on the forum. Just think of the statements of disapproval as little olives passive-aggressively hidden beneath the pepperoni of this particular thread.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 11:33 PM   #97
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Pterodactyl, I think it's really just "Someone's wrong on the internet". You're clearly wrong and won't admit it, so people keep saying that you're wrong. The more you dig your heels in the more people will want to argue with you about it.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 05:28 AM   #98
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

...One time this a-hole dude called in an order for a pepperoni pizza "with NO OLIVES! I absolutely HATE OLIVES. DO NOT PUT ANY OLIVES ON MY PIZZA"

Of course we carefully hid a sliced olive or two underneath every pepperoni. heh.
Good thing he didn't ask you not to spit on it. Now that would have been an opening for some REALLY funny hijinks.
Old 15th July 2018, 06:40 AM   #99
3point14
Pi

I'm skeptical.
Colour me surprised...
Old 15th July 2018, 11:17 AM   #100
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm skeptical.

I think the assembled company look for any excuse to signal virtue, and you see it over and over in threads. It's a pathetic cry for attention really, this new internet fascism. Find some perceived moral lapse, no matter how small, and use it as an excuse to insult or degrade another thereby making yourselves look better. Like the fit people who humblebrag posts in the weight loss threads. It's a lame, obvious and transparent attempt to feel superior.

This is also religious behavior. Decry the moral failings of others and demand the contrition of people who owe you nothing.

Let's be honest. You all don't give a damn if I grow as a person, and I don't care if you die in a fire tomorrow. Because we don't know each other. This site is good for a few things, but regular, human conversation isn't one of them. It's too laden with superficial and insecure phonies. Can't discuss a dumb prank from 20+ years ago without the righteous going on the attack. Is this how you people communicate in social settings? I bet that's great fun at parties.

Anyway, I still don't care, but let's see how long we can string out the faux outrage with references to statistically insignificant, but technically possible food allergies, and the innate evil it requires to put olives on a pizza. Im genuinely curious if this stems from boredom or insecurity.
Save it for the next cross-burning, Adolph.
Old 15th July 2018, 11:47 AM   #101
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Nah. Im not saying I was right to hide olives under this man's pepperonis.
I am saying I still laugh when I think about it though. Dude was a grade A jerk.

I would apologize but I dont care.
Ah. A Donald Trump Acolyte.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 01:39 PM   #102
Checkmite

Ex-Papa John's-CEO Schnatter said in a radio interview that a marketing firm pressured him to use the n-word during the conference call and he felt very uncomfortable about doing it.

Which is a highly interesting abdication of responsibility, firstly because it seems very interesting that a marketing agency would be counseling on language use during an in-company executive conference call about a subject that is not related to marketing; and also because a marketing agency that thinks a white man using the n-word in literally any situation whatsoever would be a good idea must be the worst marketing agency that ever existed.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 01:39 PM   #103
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
He has mentioned the idea that some or all of those were eaten with the person not realizing that the pattie is missing.

It was the drive-thru. How would he know that?

I mean, sure, that idea makes it funny, but it's a complete fantasy. The same way a black man being dragged behind a truck might be found funny if you imagine that the black man is comically unaware of his predicament.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 15th July 2018 at 01:41 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 01:43 PM   #104
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
It was the drive-thru. How would he know that?

I mean, sure, that idea makes it funny, but it's a complete fantasy. The same way a black man being dragged behind a truck might be found funny if you imagine that the black man is comically unaware of his predicament.
WTF?
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 01:44 PM   #105
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

WTF?

Exactly.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2018, 06:23 PM   #106
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Most people who have a bad eating or retail experience don't complain. They just never return. Although they'll probably tell other people the story every time that restaurant or business is mentioned. For years.
That used to be the case, before the Yelp generation.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #107
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I saw another couple of stories recently about people who had to apologize for making racist comments once upon a time, or a fellow whose job was on the line because he said nice things about a conservative, or on and on about people being judged for offhand remarks, or for offensive opinions.

I don't think I have ever had a Papa John's pizza in my life, but the more of these stories I see, the more I think that I wouldn't care if the CEO were Grand Dragon of the KKK. If he makes good pizza, I'll eat it.

I haven't had Dominos in a long time, but I don't care that it's run by a right wing loon. I don't like Chick-Fil-A, so I wouldn't eat it regardless of whether or not gay people can get married. If I ever find out that the CEO of Popeye's once made a clumsy advance on a woman who clearly showed body language that indicated her discomfort, I'll still order the spicy chicken with Cajun rice.

I'm not voting for these people. I'm just eating their food, or watching their movies, or whatever. If they break the law, sue them or throw them in jail as appropriate, but if they happen to be idiots who have outdated ideas about how the way the world works, please make mine with garlic crust.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #108
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You're not voting for them. You're just lining their pockets so that they can treat people like garbage without consequence and fund evil.

It may be impossible to completely avoid lining the pockets of terrible people, but there are occasions when it's easy to do so.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #109
Checkmite

In my opinion there's just too much good pizza out there to say I'd be limiting myself or depriving myself of something good by not patronizing businesses like Schnatter's.
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #110
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Ex-Papa John's-CEO Schnatter said in a radio interview that a marketing firm pressured him to use the n-word during the conference call and he felt very uncomfortable about doing it.

Which is a highly interesting abdication of responsibility, firstly because it seems very interesting that a marketing agency would be counseling on language use during an in-company executive conference call about a subject that is not related to marketing; and also because a marketing agency that thinks a white man using the n-word in literally any situation whatsoever would be a good idea must be the worst marketing agency that ever existed.
A “marketing firm.” God in heaven, it’s pizza.
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #111
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
A “marketing firm.” God in heaven, it’s pizza.
You don't think marketing matters for pizza? Ask Dominos. Their "our pizza sucks" campaign was one of tbe most successful marketing campaigns of all time.

Personally, I don't like their new pizza, either, but they've sold a lot more.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events