ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

General type of program that Adobe Illustrator is one of

With most program types, I know what to call the whole type, not just the specific individual name(s) of one or more examples of the type. For example...

Firefox, Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Safari: web browsers

Thunderbird, Outlook: email & business administration

Word, WordPerfect: word processors

Excel: spreadsheet
Axxess: database
Lotus 1-2-3: either spreadsheet or database; my memories of it are vague now

Paint, GNU, PhotoShop, PhotoStudio: image editors

(I can also distinguish between a 3d modeller and a 3d renderer, although I've forgotten most of the names I learned when I first dabbled in that ages ago.)

So, what would go after after the colon after "Illustrator"? "Drafting" occurs to me as a possible description of its function, but I can also imagine that word being reserved for the software used by pro engineers designing real things, not just putting text & graphics together for an image/illustration. I can also imagine it being bundled under "image editors", possibly with the adjective "vector" thrown in to distinguish it from the raster focus of conventional image editors, but I don't think I've ever seen that kind of terminology in use.

Also, whatever you call the general type, what would be some other examples of it?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:45 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm...

Web browsers, check.

Fixed that for you. SAP and Quickbooks are examples of business administration software.

Not going to quibble with the rest.

According to Wikipedia, Illustrator is a (vector) graphics editor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:46 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Vector Graphics Editor"

See also many other Adobe Products, GIMP, CorelDraw, Inkscape, Microsoft Visio, etc.

As compared to a "Bitmap/Raster Graphics Editor" like MS Paint. (Although overlap where many modern software image editors act as both and the distinction is a little less important is now a thing)
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Grrrghck... wrong forum...
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Access.

Quote:
Lotus 1-2-3 was a spreadsheet program, but Lotus thought it was a good idea to also include some database functionality... which has been included in every other spreadsheet program ever since.

Quote:
So, what would go after after the colon after "Illustrator"?
Vector graphics editor or "drawing program" (as opposed to a pixel graphics editor or "painting program").
Old 13th January 2020, 01:30 PM   #6
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

What they said. It's a Vector graphics program. Advantage: Resolution independent. Disadvantage: Burns a lot of processor resource.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:34 PM   #7
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Yeah, what everyone else said. Your "image editor" category is a superset, it can be broken down in to many ways that images can be represented.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 01:38 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Grrrghck... wrong forum...
Protip: Use the Report function to tell the forum staff that it's in the wrong forum, and to ask them to move it. Use the Post function to acknowledge and respond to the other members who have gotten involved in your discussion.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:01 PM   #9
Elagabalus
Philosopher

With most program types, I know what to call the whole type, not just the specific individual name(s) of one or more examples of the type. For example...

Word, WordPerfect: word processors

Excel: spreadsheet

Paint, GNU, PhotoShop, PhotoStudio: image editors

(I can also distinguish between a 3d modeller and a 3d renderer, although I've forgotten most of the names I learned when I first dabbled in that ages ago.)

So, what would go after after the colon after "Illustrator"? "Drafting" occurs to me as a possible description of its function, but I can also imagine that word being reserved for the software used by pro engineers designing real things, not just putting text & graphics together for an image/illustration. I can also imagine it being bundled under "image editors", possibly with the adjective "vector" thrown in to distinguish it from the raster focus of conventional image editors, but I don't think I've ever seen that kind of terminology in use.

Also, whatever you call the general type, what would be some other examples of it?

Illustrator is in the awesome category, where as, something like Word is in the lame* category.

*not to be confused with the LAME Mp3 encoder. Just lame.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:10 PM   #10
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Illustrator is in the awesome category, where as, something like Word is in the lame* category.

*not to be confused with the LAME Mp3 encoder. Just lame.
Illustrator has had some spectacularly lame releases.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:48 PM   #11
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
Access.

Lotus 1-2-3 was a spreadsheet program, but Lotus thought it was a good idea to also include some database functionality... which has been included in every other spreadsheet program ever since.

Vector graphics editor or "drawing program" (as opposed to a pixel graphics editor or "painting program").
I've used CorelDRAW! daily for over a quarter of a century, and I regularly describe it as a "drawing program". It's short, sweet, and concise.
Old 13th January 2020, 02:56 PM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Although there is a tendency for Vector Graphic programs to be more complicated on average then Raster Graphic programs it's not like an inherent law or anything.

Simple Vector Graphic and complicated, indepth Raster Graphic programs exist.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 06:21 AM   #13
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

With AI to pull out faces, separate and cut cleanly objects, understand the scene and 3D it, and most recently sharpen due to analysis of millions of images (where they can find close approximations of sharper segments that are blurry in your image and substitute the sharper portion) raster isn't your grandpa's Paint anymore.

Basically the idiotic sci fi "zoom in and enhance" is a real thing now.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 14th January 2020 at 06:25 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 06:40 AM   #14
elgarak
Illuminator

Adobe Illustrator is a vector graphics program.

The best alternative (without a subscription model) is Affinity Designer.
elgarak is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 05:15 AM   #15
Wudang
BOFH

Also Inkscape which is free. Not my area of expertise but I used it to design a team logo and it worked after a short tutorial I found.
Old 15th January 2020, 05:50 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
Adobe Illustrator is a vector graphics program.

The best alternative (without a subscription model) is Affinity Designer.
I've actually stopped my Adobe subscription (the photography sub, Photoshop, Lightroom etc) and use the Affinity products now. Not quite as good as Photoshop in some areas but more than good enough for what I need. And their iPad version is fantastic on my iPad Pro.

The two reasons I dropped the Adobe sub was 1) Affinity being good enough and it's a cheap one off payment and 2) hate how much of the Adobe stuff ties into their cloud services, and pretty much forced to have to be online all the time to fully use the Adobe products.
Old 16th January 2020, 12:47 PM   #17
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
(without a subscription model)
The subscription is indeed the main reason I'm looking elsewhere.
Old 16th January 2020, 12:49 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The subscription is indeed the main reason I'm looking elsewhere.
Good luck. "Open Source" and "Rent to Own" are going to be the premier software models going forth.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet