ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 20th January 2020, 02:34 AM   #961
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Yes I do. I do it every work day.

It is either meeting in person or by big screen TV and there is very little difference apart from shaking hands physically.

I get you think while watching her videos she needs to be there in person while not being there in person when she influences you, somehow means she has to be there to influence others.

Don't understand it but get it.
Thank you. Confirming that you know nothing about communication.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:38 AM   #962
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Thank you. Confirming that you know nothing about communication.
Says the poster who lives by Greta videos
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:45 AM   #963
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Says the poster who lives by Greta videos
Bwahahaha.

I’ve never watched a video by Greta.

But keep on showing your ignorance of the benefits of meeting in person.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 02:49 AM   #964
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Bwahahaha.

I’ve never watched a video by Greta.

But keep on showing your ignorance of the benefits of meeting in person.
Nice dodging again. Bit I meet heaps of people in person.

These days it just seems to be more via camera if they are in the US or the UK.

But I get you think they should fly over for 20 hours.

And then maybe go jet boating
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 04:34 AM   #965
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That's a shame.

I'm not.

Patronising ****.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 05:35 AM   #966
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Why are you scared?

I don't mean this in any way except as honest curiosity..

Are you personally threatened by rising sea levels, or very moderate temperature increases?

Climate change doesn't scare me , though it does concern me to some extent; but not because of either of the two reasons mentioned, and I'm not sure what other
reasons there might be.
Do you have to be personally threatened? Is it not possible to care about what happens to other people?
Old 20th January 2020, 06:04 AM   #967
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Do you have to be personally threatened? Is it not possible to care about what happens to other people?
Oh you are simply not tough enough to be a true skeptic like Skepitcal Greg.....

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th January 2020, 10:22 AM   #968
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Not eating all of your straw, and saving some for arguments I haven't made?

Certainly I care..

What does that have to do with being scared?
Old 20th January 2020, 11:28 AM   #969
sackett
Philosopher

They burned Joan of Arc, and they're doing their damndest to burn down funny-looking little Greta.

Let 'em. All her detractors will be ****-stained footnotes long before she's even old enough to vote.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 11:41 AM   #970
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Patronising ****.
Not patronising.

It is called being honest.

I tell you what

Become a vegan. Apparently a few people doing it while the US, India, and China spew emissions, it will save the death of the human race.

No agenda there

Old 20th January 2020, 02:06 PM   #971
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
They burned Joan of Arc, and they're doing their damndest to burn down funny-looking little Greta.

Let 'em. All her detractors will be ****-stained footnotes long before she's even old enough to vote.
No one here is burning anyone, or even trying to silence her..

Some are just questioning how important she really is ..

Otherwise there would be no discussion. Just genuflecting at the altar..

Can you imagine that some people actually compare her to St. Jeanne d'Arc?
Old 20th January 2020, 02:08 PM   #972
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

No one here is burning anyone, or even trying to silence her..

Some are just questioning how important she really is ..

Otherwise there would be no discussion. Just genuflecting at the altar..

Can you imagine that some people actually compare her to St. Jeanne d'Arc?
Well Joan was dismissed as a silly little girl, so there is that similarity.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 20th January 2020, 02:52 PM   #973
sackett
Philosopher

Joan also inspired a popular following, and scared the less popular.

And Greta has a helluva lot better cause.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 03:10 PM   #974
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Well Joan was dismissed as a silly little girl, so there is that similarity.
Can't argue with that..
Old 20th January 2020, 03:44 PM   #975
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Joan never bothered going to school either

Old 20th January 2020, 06:22 PM   #976
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Fair call.

I just went with what I was like as a teenager.

It wasn't listening to Greta. It was trying to get it on with that chick in maths
Your judgement doesn't seem to have improved any.

Originally Posted by 8enotto
I am fully aware changes are happening. What I am not sure of is how much is really our fault and howmuch is earth's natural cycles. The reports of each scientist count but no one has been determined to be exact yet.
Panic is not the answer.
I am guessing your age is closer to 70 than 17.

As people get older they tend to become more conservative in their outlook. We survived for all these years despite the panic, and nothing really changed. But now I am seeing changes, and they are disturbing. The science is clear, even if you don't understand the nuances. You don't have to. Just look around and you will see the changes. And if you think it won't affect you, think again. Our global economy is very sensitive to disturbances. A few bad mortgages almost put it under, so just think what a little worse 'weather' will do to it!

But there isn't much you or I alone can do about it, which why we have to support the people with real power - people like Greta Thunberg.

The older I get the less I panic, and the less stuff gets done 'urgently'. But the stupid thing is that the older I get the more urgently stuff needs to get done. If I was told at age 17 that I might have less than 10 years to live, I would be trying to do as much as I could in the little time I had left. Now? Another year goes by and it's no big deal - until one day...

We need people like Greta Thunberg because they have the sense of urgency that we older people lack. If not for their 'panic', nothing would get done - and then it will be too late for all of us.
Old 20th January 2020, 06:24 PM   #977
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Too late for ' what ' ?
Old 20th January 2020, 07:09 PM   #978
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Joan never bothered going to school either
Greta went to school.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 08:18 PM   #979
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Too late for ' what ' ?
Apparently too late to keep the weather exactly the same, never changing, just the way we like it, forever and ever and ever.

Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 20th January 2020 at 08:19 PM.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2020, 09:56 PM   #980
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Your judgement doesn't seem to have improved any.

I am guessing your age is closer to 70 than 17.

As people get older they tend to become more conservative in their outlook. We survived for all these years despite the panic, and nothing really changed. But now I am seeing changes, and they are disturbing. The science is clear, even if you don't understand the nuances. You don't have to. Just look around and you will see the changes. And if you think it won't affect you, think again. Our global economy is very sensitive to disturbances. A few bad mortgages almost put it under, so just think what a little worse 'weather' will do to it!

But there isn't much you or I alone can do about it, which why we have to support the people with real power - people like Greta Thunberg.

The older I get the less I panic, and the less stuff gets done 'urgently'. But the stupid thing is that the older I get the more urgently stuff needs to get done. If I was told at age 17 that I might have less than 10 years to live, I would be trying to do as much as I could in the little time I had left. Now? Another year goes by and it's no big deal - until one day...

We need people like Greta Thunberg because they have the sense of urgency that we older people lack. If not for their 'panic', nothing would get done - and then it will be too late for all of us.
Apart from getting kids to not go to school for a day every now and again and having a big following what real power has she wielded?

It's a bit like saying Cold Play are a great band because the sell heaps of records when the a repetitive dirge

Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM   #981
a_unique_person

Not patronising.

It is called being honest.

I tell you what

Become a vegan. Apparently a few people doing it while the US, India, and China spew emissions, it will save the death of the human race.

No agenda there

Now just being a cynical ****.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:22 AM   #982
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Now just being a cynical ****.
Cynical would be desperately throwing out messages to come up with an excuse your dad is the author username of your Facebook posts.

But all good.

I'll take her word for it

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #983
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

All climate change debate posts have been reported.
This is not the thread for that.
Interesting that you would do this, then in your very next post make misleading claims about what the climate science actuality says.

Why are you scared?

Are you personally threatened by rising sea levels, or very moderate temperature increases?
It's almost as if your real goal is to get the moderators to prohibit anyone from debunking the incorrect or misleading claims you are making about climate change...
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #984
shuttlt
Philosopher

Good news. Net-zero emissions are no longer enough. Offsetting and planting trees are no good. We need actual zero emissions to stay below 1.5 degrees.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and...greta-thunberg

Presumably this is just reiterating the recommendations of the IPCC report?
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #985
a_unique_person

Cynical would be desperately throwing out messages to come up with an excuse your dad is the author username of your Facebook posts.

But all good.

I'll take her word for it
Trump agrees with you. There's nothing to worry about.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #986
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Good news. Net-zero emissions are no longer enough. Offsetting and planting trees are no good. We need actual zero emissions to stay below 1.5 degrees.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and...greta-thunberg

Presumably this is just reiterating the recommendations of the IPCC report?
Yes, that's always been her position. Ending the use of fossil fuels.

I don't know about you but I got a hella lot of fossil fuel burning to do this year. International vacations, home renovations, lots of driving around in my new truck, maybe a yacht. Government can do whatever they want with the price of fuel, I don't care, I can afford it.

Oh, and I support Greta Thunberg, at least on paper where it really counts.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #987
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Trump agrees with you. There's nothing to worry about.
Not sure how this post relates in any way to mine, but appreciate you have a fixation with Trump so I am happy just looking at it as an odd quirk.

Old Today, 02:03 AM   #988
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Not eating all of your straw, and saving some for arguments I haven't made?

Certainly I care..

What does that have to do with being scared?
I would have thought that contemplating the grave, possibly catastrophic consequences of climate change, and the fact that these changes may be largely unstoppable, would be enough to scare anyone.
Obviously, as has been pointed out, this is presumably because I'm not as tough as you.
I should also point out that you don't have to be personally threatened by something to be scared: ask anyone who's seen a good horror film.
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #989
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Yes, that's always been her position. Ending the use of fossil fuels.

I don't know about you but I got a hella lot of fossil fuel burning to do this year. International vacations, home renovations, lots of driving around in my new truck, maybe a yacht. Government can do whatever they want with the price of fuel, I don't care, I can afford it.

Oh, and I support Greta Thunberg, at least on paper where it really counts.
Going literally zero carbon to hit the 1.5 degree target is the authoritarian purity fantasy of a little girl. She might as well demand the UN gather the wishes of all the boys and girls together and take them to the magic wishing tree where the elves of the forest can weave them into a net to capture carbon from the air for all the realism there is here.

Going zero carbon in a timescale remotely relevant to the 1.5 degree target implies almost all international trade stops. Almost everything on the roads stop. Energy prices soar. Most industry stops. Every economy collapses. Producing batteries and solar panels isn't exactly zero carbon, so that has to stop. Building any more nuclear power stations is definitely out.

Or do we not actually take what she says seriously?

Last edited by shuttlt; Today at 03:08 AM.
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #990
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Going literally zero carbon to hit the 1.5 degree target is the authoritarian purity fantasy of a little girl. She might as well demand the UN gather the wishes of all the boys and girls together and take them to the magic wishing tree where the elves of the forest can weave them into a net to capture carbon from the air for all the realism there is here.

Going zero carbon in a timescale remotely relevant to the 1.5 degree target implies almost all international trade stops. Almost everything on the roads stop. Energy prices soar. Most industry stops. Every economy collapses. Producing batteries and solar panels isn't exactly zero carbon, so that has to stop. Building any more nuclear power stations is definitely out.

Or do we not actually take what she says seriously?
We could have started limiting emissions earlier, when scientists first started to warn about this, but we listened to people like you and did nothing.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:41 AM   #991
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
We could have started limiting emissions earlier, when scientists first started to warn about this, but we listened to people like you and did nothing.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

That helps

We have what we have now.

Old Today, 03:53 AM   #992
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
That doesn't mean that ignoring the recommendations of scientists and calling for the collapse of civilisation is the way to go. I can see how one might find it emotionally satisfying if one was an authoritarian puritan, but honestly.... avoiding 1.5 degrees by going literally zero carbon? Do hundreds of millions, or billions starve to death in this plan?

Either who ever writes her speeches is a fool, or they are deliberately asking for things that can not be implemented.
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #993
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

That doesn't mean that ignoring the recommendations of scientists and calling for the collapse of civilisation is the way to go. I can see how one might find it emotionally satisfying if one was an authoritarian puritan, but honestly.... avoiding 1.5 degrees by going literally zero carbon? Do hundreds of millions, or billions starve to death in this plan?

Either who ever writes her speeches is a fool, or they are deliberately asking for things that can not be implemented.
Easy to post stuff like this. Show us your work. Show some evidence that avoiding 1.5C warming will lead to billions of deaths?

More importantly, as you should realise if you have been following the science, 1.5C is now almost certainly built in. Show us the cost of seeing 2.0C or more devastating the earth against avoiding warming beyond 1.5C?

You are posting nothing but denialism. “Nah, too hard, don’t bother”.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #994
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Those ignoring recommendations from the scientists are you lot.

Hundreds of millions will starve to death if we keep on the way we are going. Hundreds of millions will starve to death if we make half-assed limitations to emissions.

Basically, because we listened to people like you, hundreds of millions will die, pretty much no matter what we do. We'll just have to accept that. I don't even think we can count on poetic justice, and those who die will be people who had no say in nor benefit from all the emissions.

What Greta is saying, that I agree with, is that we should stop listening to people like you and start listening to the scientists who we have collectively ignored all along.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; Today at 05:07 AM.
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events