IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Aaron Schock , Illinois incidents , Illinois politics , politics scandals

Old 17th March 2015, 06:14 PM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Aaron Schock (R) Ill resigns

At first when I was reading the article I kind of thought "who cares":

Originally Posted by Politico
Schock billed the federal government and his campaign for logging roughly 170,000 miles on his personal car from January 2010 through July 2014. But when he sold that Chevrolet Tahoe in July 2014, it had roughly 80,000 miles on the odometer, according to public records obtained by POLITICO under Illinois open records laws. The documents, in other words, indicate he was reimbursed for 90,000 miles more than his car was driven.
I mean, mileage seems like a kind of slow way to rip off the government. It adds up to a healthy chunk of change; however the timeline in the article says a bit more. Hopefully they'll get someone in office that is a bit more reliable.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2015, 06:24 PM   #2
applecorped
Banned

I'm schocked.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2015, 07:05 PM   #3
The Big Dog

Jesus, what a douchebag.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I think the mileage was just the clearest, easiest narrative they could find. There's evidence that he did far more crooked things.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Tangential question, if I may...

I've only seen the panning video of his office and have never seen Downton Abbey, so can someone explain... is it some inside joke having paintings hung outside of and alongside of their frames?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2015, 09:20 PM   #6
meg
psychic reader

I'm guessing the only joke there is that the designer somehow convinced Schock that all those empty frames somehow represented how he thinks "outside the box" or some such drivel, and then she laughed and laughed and laughed all the way to the bank.
Old 17th March 2015, 10:35 PM   #7
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The constant questions over the last six weeks have proven a great distraction that has made it too difficult for me to serve the people of the 18th District with the high standards that they deserve and which I have set for myself...

Let me rephrase: The constant questions over the last six weeks have proven a great distraction that has made it too difficult for me to live high on the hog with other people's money.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 03:38 AM   #8
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I think the mileage was just the clearest, easiest narrative they could find. There's evidence that he did far more crooked things.
Sure but they are the kind of things that are more accepted behavior of a politician. So those get a pass. Otherwise we would have to get rid of all of congress.

We can dream though.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
Jesus, what a douchebag.
So is this Schock guy.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 09:34 AM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
So is this Schock guy.
Badoom ching. All week ladies and gentlemen...tip your servers

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 11:15 AM   #11
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

I mean, mileage seems like a kind of slow way to rip off the government. It adds up to a healthy chunk of change; however the timeline in the article says a bit more. Hopefully they'll get someone in office that is a bit more reliable.
So it's not just the Democrats in Illinois that are crooks.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 11:16 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Nope, it's bipartisan. Where are the " OMGZ! TU QUOQUE!" team when you need them?

Old 18th March 2015, 11:27 AM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

An Illinois politician is corrupt.Whatta Surprise.

Only difference between the two partied in Illinois is that the Democratic Machine is more efficient then the GOP Machine.

Land of Lincoln, Baby.Land of Lincoln.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 18th March 2015 at 11:31 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 11:30 AM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Recently two conescutive governors of Illinois did time in prison for corruption:One was a Democrat and One was a Republican. The story of Illinois politics in a nutshell.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 11:31 AM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
An Illinois politician is corrupt.Whatta Surprise.

That a few years ago you had two ex Governors of Illinois doing time in prison ,and one was a Democrat and one a Republican, is a perfect metaphor for Illinois Politics. The only difference between them is the Democratic machine is more efficent then the GOP machine.
But were they cell mates like the Pennsylvania speakers of the house?

http://www.politicspa.com/bill-dewee...llmates/36309/

How is that for bipartisanship?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 11:41 AM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

My favorite comment about Illinois politics is that the two most famous public figures in Illinois history are Abraham Lincoln and Al Capone, and Illinois politicans always have the charecteristics of the Latter.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:51 AM   #17
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Reminds me of the old joke about the lawyer going to heaven, and he's greeted at the pearly gates by every person of historical note.

The lawyer's surprised to say the least, and asks St. Peter what all the commotion is about - St. Peter tells him "You have lived longer than any human ever has, 280 Years! my what you must have seen!"

The lawyer tells St. Peter there must be some mistake as he's only 44 years old.

St. Peter goes back to his record book and comes back to the guy, apologizes, and explains they were going on his billed hours...
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 12:01 PM   #18
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Reminds me of the old joke about the lawyer going to heaven, and he's greeted at the pearly gates by every person of historical note.

The lawyer's surprised to say the least, and asks St. Peter what all the commotion is about - St. Peter tells him "You have lived longer than any human ever has, 280 Years! my what you must have seen!"

The lawyer tells St. Peter there must be some mistake as he's only 44 years old.

St. Peter goes back to his record book and comes back to the guy, apologizes, and explains they were going on his billed hours...
That....is....hilarious. It was kind of embarrassing as I laughed in the middle of my Microcomputer class, but it was worth it.

Old 18th March 2015, 12:12 PM   #19
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he didn't rob the government. Maybe he tampered with the odometer and robbed the guy he sold the vehicle to.

OTOH, I don't think it's as easy to turn back an odometer as it used to be.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 12:16 PM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

Maybe he didn't rob the government. Maybe he tampered with the odometer and robbed the guy he sold the vehicle to.

OTOH, I don't think it's as easy to turn back an odometer as it used to be.
You may be right, I did just some quick googling and could only find images of a digital dashboard for the 2010 Tahoe. Admittedly....I didn't look very hard.

Old 18th March 2015, 12:48 PM   #21
Spindrift

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But were they cell mates like the Pennsylvania speakers of the house?

http://www.politicspa.com/bill-dewee...llmates/36309/

How is that for bipartisanship?
Connecticut's former governor is going back to prison for round two.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/ny...ison.html?_r=0
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 01:05 PM   #22
NoahFence
Banned

A mileage controversy? How are we supposed to stick a -gate or a -ghazi after that?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 01:17 PM   #23
Spindrift

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
A mileage controversy? How are we supposed to stick a -gate or a -ghazi after that?
odomogate

odomoghazi
Old 18th March 2015, 02:15 PM   #24
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

And the reimbursement rate is over fifty cents, so that's what $45,000 he stole.

Should have made it $4.5B and then he could have gotten a bail out. Too small to succeed.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 02:23 PM   #25
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
And the reimbursement rate is over fifty cents, so that's what $45,000 he stole.

Should have made it $4.5B and then he could have gotten a bail out. Too small to succeed.
What an *******. The mileage rate I get which is set by the USG is only $.38 per mile and I have to submit a cost comparison worksheet with it. Bastard didn't even do the stuff he makes me do to drive my own car.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 07:00 PM   #26
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
Jesus, what a douchebag.
This thread is about Aaron Shock. Start a thread about that in Religion.
Old 18th March 2015, 07:25 PM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Isn't this the guy who flew to Katy Perry concerts on government dime, and tried to squash the story about how expensive his office decoration was? And wears colorful belts and claims not to be gay despite emitting the gaydar equivalent of a solar flare felt three hundred million miles out into space? I'd say the odometer business is just the straw that broke the camel's back, and said camel was loaded up with items from Ceaușescu's garage sale.
Old 18th March 2015, 09:40 PM   #28
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
This thread is about Aaron Shock. Start a thread about that in Religion.
I lolled and scared the cat off my lap. Your fault I have claw marks in my scrote.

Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2015, 11:51 PM   #29
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Isn't this the guy who flew to Katy Perry concerts on government dime, and tried to squash the story about how expensive his office decoration was? And wears colorful belts and claims not to be gay despite emitting the gaydar equivalent of a solar flare felt three hundred million miles out into space? I'd say the odometer business is just the straw that broke the camel's back, and said camel was loaded up with items from Ceaușescu's garage sale.
He's also the guy that has a full time paid male photographer who accompanies him everywhere he goes.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics