IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags schools , curriculum , mirrors , smoke , chiropractic

Old 16th June 2005, 04:29 PM   #1
yersinia29
Thinker

Chiropractic: smoke and mirrors curriculum in schools

Take a look at he coursework for a particular chiro school:

http://www.nwhealth.edu/edprogr/chiro/acadres.html

You'll note that there are in fact a few "legit" courses sprinkled here and there amidst the sea of quackery.

A common mantra of chiros is that "we took the same courses real medical students took so we are legit doctors just like they are"

Lets take a closer look at that claim.

First off, I have no doubt that their biochemistry course and a couple of other courses in there are in fact legit. If you sat in on that class, you would probably find they are studying normal biochemistry just like everybody else. Furthermore, that class is probably taught by a PhD with a reputable degree from a reputable university.

The problem with chiro training is that its an obvious smoke and mirrors ploy. That biochemistry class was added SPECIFICALLY to dupe the public into thinking that since one class is legit, they all must be legit.

It would be similar to me starting a school of witchcraft and putting in the following courses:

1) Physics w/ calculus, taught by John Smith, PHD
2) Witchcraft 101 taught by Ida Fool, PhDW (doctoral in witchcraft)

Then I could claim I'm a legit school because I have a bona fide PHD teaching a real physics course. Of course if you examine the curricula closer you'll notice that the later courses have NOTHING to do with biochem. They totally abandon biochem and go off into the world of quackery.

The PhDs that get involved with this do so because of money. By and large they dont give a damn what the chiro school teaches in the later semesters. Their class is legit, and thats all they care about. I have spoken to several of these people, and they are basically clueless as to the indoctrination that occurs in their students in later coursework. By and large, they subscribe to a "see no evil, hear no evil" philosophy which they should be ashamed of.

PHDs who associate themselves with such quacks SHOULD be ashamed. Even if their course is legit, they are participating in a fraud to dupe the public into believing that the whole school is legit, when its clearly not the case.
yersinia29 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Eos of the Eons
Mad Scientist

Just try telling people that outside of the this forum. They won't believe you. Our insurance coverage just got better for those wanting to see those quacks. I'm the butt of jokes.

They are "doctors". That's it. I give up trying to explain the difference between DC and MD.
The Lateral Truth: An Apostate's Bible Stories by Rebecca Bradley, read it!
Eos of the Eons is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology