IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags FBI issues , James Comey , political predictions , political speculation

View Poll Results: Will FBI Director Comey:
resign after the election 16 41.03%
be fired by Obama 5 12.82%
be fired by Clinton 4 10.26%
stay on the job as a whipped little bitch 7 17.95%
on planet X, Comey is the new president 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th November 2016, 12:16 AM   #121
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I don't know - that's a republicker thing. They do seem to like it though!!! Possibly like a secret handshake.
I heard somewhere they call it cornholing. Very popular in the republicker filled midwest - flyover country!!!!!! Apparently they play the game outdoors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole_(slang) Possibly NSFW
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 08:18 AM   #122
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Originally Posted by Ziggurat
If you wanted to stop illegal immigration, that meant you were a racist. If you're worried about Islamic terrorism, you're an Islamophobe, which really just means you're a racist. If you think that the collapse of marriage in the black community is a major factor in inner city crime, then you're a racist. But making a position illegitimate doesn't actually make the problem it's responding to go away.
What problems are those? Is illegal immigration or even terrorism such a big problem on US soil?
Please explain what you meant by the highlighted question, Argumemnon. Please explain also why you chose to limit the scope of the question to US soil when the quote you were responding to relates to "Islamic terrorism" in general and doesn't limit it's scope to terrorism on US soil.

If the problems brought up in the quoted text are not problems, how does a question addressing only a single facet of said problem have any hope of demonstrating that?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 08:26 AM   #123
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Please explain what you meant by the highlighted question, Argumemnon.
Zig's last sentence quoted mentions problems. I'm asking them to what problems he's refering.

Quote:
Please explain also why you chose to limit the scope of the question to US soil when the quote you were responding to relates to "Islamic terrorism" in general and doesn't limit it's scope to terrorism on US soil.
Simply because I think that the average american who is concerned about terrorism is concerned about terrorism on US soil, not in Pakistan.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 09:34 AM   #124
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Simply because I think that the average american who is concerned about terrorism is concerned about terrorism on US soil, not in Pakistan.
I don't share your opinion about American voters.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 09:52 AM   #125
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Zig's last sentence quoted mentions problems. I'm asking them to what problems he's referring.
And the rest of his text made it quite explicit what problems he was referring to. Why do you need to ask something that he's already told you the answer to?

In context it looks a lot more like you are saying that the things he is referring to aren't problems.

Quote:
Who brought up the average american? Why don't you respond to the things he actually said rather than something else. He talks about Islamic terrorism in general and you respond that you don't think terrorism on US soil is a big problem.

Let me try to be as clear as possible: Zig mentioned the problem of Islamic terrorism. You respond by saying "what problems are those?", implying that you don't think Islamic terrorism is a problem, then go on to ask "Is [...] terrorism such a big problem on US soil?" as though that were a response to the issue.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics