IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Eric Greitens , Missouri incidents , Missouri politics , politics scandals

Old 22nd February 2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Missouri Governer indicted for felony invasion of privacy

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens indicted on felony invasion of privacy charge stemming from affair

tl;dr: Prior to being elected, Greitens had an affair with married woman took a picture of her naked, to which she did not consent. He admits he took the photo but denies he blackmailed her during the campaign to keep her silence about the affair.

Problem is, in Missouri, blackmail isn't against the law. Taking the photograph, however, is. Oops.
Old 22nd February 2018, 06:00 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Problem is, in Missouri, blackmail isn't against the law.
I did not know this.

Now I know what I'm doing this weekend!
Old 22nd February 2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I did not know this.

He is/was the Education Governor.
Old 22nd February 2018, 06:30 PM   #4
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens indicted on felony invasion of privacy charge stemming from affair

tl;dr: Prior to being elected, Greitens had an affair with married woman took a picture of her naked, to which she did not consent. He admits he took the photo but denies he blackmailed her during the campaign to keep her silence about the affair.

Problem is, in Missouri, blackmail isn't against the law. Taking the photograph, however, is. Oops.
Whats the word on the street?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Civet
Graduate Poster

I did not know this.

You might want to hold off. Here's an article quoting a couple of Missouri attorneys on the matter:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...f492796e8.html
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:02 PM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

For a moment I thought the headline read "piracy" instead of "privacy". That would be so COOL!!!
"There is a virus here — it kills people. And the only way we prevent it is to get vaccinated, to wear masks, to do social distancing, washing your hands all the time, and not just to think about, 'Well, my freedom is being kind of disturbed here.' No, screw your freedom — because with freedom comes obligations and responsibilities. You cannot just say, 'I have the right to X, Y, and Z.' When you affect other people then it gets serious." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:32 PM   #7
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
For a moment I thought the headline read "piracy" instead of "privacy". That would be so COOL!!!
It likely has something to do with the conspicuous absence of any high seas in the state of Missouri.
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:42 PM   #8
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It likely has something to do with the conspicuous absence of any high seas in the state of Missouri.
Never heard of the legendary river pirates on the Mississippi? True, they were largely wiped out by 1800, but they were a thing.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:42 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Global warming will take care of that.
"There is a virus here — it kills people. And the only way we prevent it is to get vaccinated, to wear masks, to do social distancing, washing your hands all the time, and not just to think about, 'Well, my freedom is being kind of disturbed here.' No, screw your freedom — because with freedom comes obligations and responsibilities. You cannot just say, 'I have the right to X, Y, and Z.' When you affect other people then it gets serious." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:50 PM   #10
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Surely river piracy on the mighty Missouri River is as feasible now as it was in early days, when
River pirate gangs ... plied the river and waited in ambush for honest flat boaters as they traveled the Ohio, Missouri, and Mississippi Rivers.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 05:07 AM   #11
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Apparently blackmail is against the law; it's being said that what the guy did doesn't actually qualify as blackmail. Other lawyers are saying that it isn't blackmail, but it can be considered extortion.

This is in addition to the misdemeanor crime of taking a picture of someone nude or semi-nude without consent.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 05:21 AM   #12
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Never heard of the legendary river pirates on the Mississippi? True, they were largely wiped out by 1800, but they were a thing.
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Surely river piracy on the mighty Missouri River is as feasible now as it was in early days, when
River pirate gangs ... plied the river and waited in ambush for honest flat boaters as they traveled the Ohio, Missouri, and Mississippi Rivers.
I never mind learning something new! Thanks to both of you!
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

And the Missouri GOP responds by blaming George Soros.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KFILE/sta...78933668814849
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:49 AM   #14
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Wow. And this is the official statement of the Missouri GOP, not just some rando staffer running his mouth.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:24 AM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Wow. And this is the official statement of the Missouri GOP, not just some rando staffer running his mouth.
Which means the GUy is guilty as hell.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:30 AM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I never mind learning something new! Thanks to both of you!
You never saw "How The West Was Won"...in which the first episode deals with the River Pirates.
And one of the Disney "Davy Crockett " films has Davy fighting the River Pirates.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:31 AM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not to mention Missour's own tradition of outlaw gangs......ever hear of Jesse James and Cole Younger?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:13 PM   #18
fuelair
Banned

He is/was the Education Governor.
It's a learning experience for him!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:51 PM   #19
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Apparently blackmail is against the law; it's being said that what the guy did doesn't actually qualify as blackmail. Other lawyers are saying that it isn't blackmail, but it can be considered extortion.
Apparently the "blackmail" was threatening to release the photo if she revealed the affair, which makes it sound like the photo was intended as insurance. Ironic that it ends up being the issue.

Years ago, I remember a star football player at some college had a gal back in his dorm room and he recorded them having sex (IIRC audio only). so he'd have proof it was consensual. Only he played the tape for some of his buddies latter. Not a good idea.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:15 PM   #20
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You never saw "How The West Was Won"...in which the first episode deals with the River Pirates.
And one of the Disney "Davy Crockett " films has Davy fighting the River Pirates.
Didn't Abe Lincoln travel down the Mississippi as "muscle" for a flatboat? Coming out of southern Illinois, you went through some of the most dangerous areas. People think of it as Jean Lafitte setting up shop in cultured New Orleans but those were wilderness areas in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. There were outlaw communities.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:36 PM   #21
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, another corrupt Democrat heading for jail!

Hold on...

He's not a....?

Oh, never mind, forget I was here.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:26 AM   #22
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, yes...the GOP: party of family values!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 01:18 AM   #23
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ah, yes...the GOP: party of family values!
That used to be a straight-man line for: "Yeah, the Borgias!"

Now, we're thinking more towards: "Yeah, the Corleones!"

Old 24th February 2018, 09:15 AM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That used to be a straight-man line for: "Yeah, the Borgias!"
The Borgias were no worse than any other aristocratic family of the era, and much of the scandalous legends were deliberate fictions spread by their enemies to make them look bad. A lot of the animosity was due to their Spanish origins, which made them unpopular in Italy. I'm not saying they were nice people, but they certainly weren't as bad as their legend.
Old 24th February 2018, 09:17 AM   #25
Mike!

The more embarrassing thing is I live in a sleepy little river town, just north of St. Louis, at one of the spots where the Mississippi is at its widest.

Last edited by Mike!; 24th February 2018 at 09:21 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 11:11 AM   #26
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

The more embarrassing thing is I live in a sleepy little river town, just north of St. Louis, at one of the spots where the Mississippi is at its widest.
You should take up river piracy as a profession. Obviously there are unfilled vacancies in your area. Your sleepy river town sounds pretty much like the place plundered by the two swindlers in Huckleberry Finn.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 11:13 AM   #27
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
You should take up river piracy as a profession. Obviously there are unfilled vacancies in your area. Your sleepy river town sounds pretty much like the place plundered by the two swindlers in Huckleberry Finn.
River piracy requires a lot of exertion. May I suggest...monorail?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:18 PM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

There's a difference between sleepy because it's peaceful and sleepy because everyone's been knocked unconscious by meth lab explosions.
Old 24th February 2018, 12:36 PM   #29
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

There's a difference between sleepy because it's peaceful and sleepy because everyone's been knocked unconscious by meth lab explosions.
Is there? Let me quote Mike!
I never mind learning something new! Thanks ...
Old 24th February 2018, 01:59 PM   #30
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Apparently the "blackmail" was threatening to release the photo if she revealed the affair, which makes it sound like the photo was intended as insurance. Ironic that it ends up being the issue.
True. I think that sounds like one of those cases of "suffering from unintended consequences."

Quote:
Years ago, I remember a star football player at some college had a gal back in his dorm room and he recorded them having sex (IIRC audio only). so he'd have proof it was consensual. Only he played the tape for some of his buddies latter. Not a good idea.
That sounds very odd to me. I don't disbelieve you; I mean that it's odd that a guy would want to have sex with a gal when it was in doubt he'd get permission?

Or is it that he wouldn't have been believed had he claimed they had sex later so to prove it to his buddies, he recorded it?

Hmmm... this is one of those things where it's probably some easy solution but I'm over thinking something which doesn't merit much thinking about in the first place...
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 09:48 PM   #31
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

The Borgias were no worse than any other aristocratic family of the era, and much of the scandalous legends were deliberate fictions spread by their enemies to make them look bad. A lot of the animosity was due to their Spanish origins, which made them unpopular in Italy. I'm not saying they were nice people, but they certainly weren't as bad as their legend.
Yeah, I know... cheap shorthand. I was going to use the Earps, but people are still confused due to the hero-ification by Hollywood. Then I thought of the James brothers, but they're kinda folk heroes, too. And no one's ever heard of "the Kindles" a family of 20 kids that terrorized my block in Alphabet City, so I settled on the Borgias. Lazy. I know.

Old 25th February 2018, 01:55 AM   #32
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Quote:
We look forward to a bipartisan committee of legislators elected by people across Missouri to find out what's really going on...
Unfortunately Missouri GOP, it looks like a court of law will be finding out what's really going on.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 03:24 PM   #33
fuelair
Banned

Three eps on the WD show- worked with Mike Fink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Fink
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 07:01 PM   #34
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
True. I think that sounds like one of those cases of "suffering from unintended consequences."

That sounds very odd to me. I don't disbelieve you; I mean that it's odd that a guy would want to have sex with a gal when it was in doubt he'd get permission?

Or is it that he wouldn't have been believed had he claimed they had sex later so to prove it to his buddies, he recorded it?

Hmmm... this is one of those things where it's probably some easy solution but I'm over thinking something which doesn't merit much thinking about in the first place...
Maybe they had left a party and had both been drinking. Maybe they were only buzzed. Maybe he was afraid she'd regret it for some reason later - boyfriend finds out, for example - then she can cry rape and that she was drunk. It happens.

Right now, especially with the MeToo movement going on there's probably an app for that.

- Connect the USB blood alcohol analyzer to phone.
- "Press 'GO' to record a 10 second consent speech from your partner(s).
- Press 'Submit' to send video to local law enforcement.
- Have fun!
Old 26th February 2018, 04:15 AM   #35
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Maybe they had left a party and had both been drinking. Maybe they were only buzzed. Maybe he was afraid she'd regret it for some reason later - boyfriend finds out, for example - then she can cry rape and that she was drunk. It happens.

Right now, especially with the MeToo movement going on there's probably an app for that.

- Connect the USB blood alcohol analyzer to phone.
- "Press 'GO' to record a 10 second consent speech from your partner(s).
- Press 'Submit' to send video to local law enforcement.
- Have fun!
Of course! I should have known the #MeToo movement wasn't about rectifying millennia of improper male behavior against which women had little recourse. It is actually about giving cheating sluts an out to keep on being cheating sluts!

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2018, 11:11 AM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Three eps on the WD show- worked with Mike Fink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Fink
That was the Davy Crockett episode I was referring to.
One of the locations was Cave In Rock in Illinois,a actual River Pirate hangout.
They do seem to have been more active on the Ohio then the Missisippi, though.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2018, 11:16 AM   #37
3point14
Pi

It's almost like the selection process for politicians, the fundamental plank of which is the willingness to trade campaign contributions for legislation, thereby corrupting the process of democracy, isn't getting the right people into office...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 07:05 AM   #38
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
It's almost like the selection process for politicians, the fundamental plank of which is the willingness to trade campaign contributions for legislation, thereby corrupting the process of democracy, isn't getting the right people into office...
How is it corrupting? It is fair for the legislator to favor the policies of his phone bankers over the people they called. Effort matters.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 07:09 AM   #39
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, I guess it is too bad that the good governor did not follow the Trump model by paying this person off instead of trying to blackmail her.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 08:32 AM   #40
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, I guess it is too bad that the good governor did not follow the Trump model by paying this person off instead of trying to blackmail her.
Then again, it's kind of hard to shame an adult video star by threatening to release nude photos of her, so Trump had no choice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics