IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags doxxing incidents , internet incidents , Jackson Cosko , politics scandals

Old 9th October 2018, 09:39 AM   #41
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I value those things too, but I’m not under any delusions that they really carry any weight.

Exactly. I see no reason why they wouldn’t resort to such tactics to consolidate their power.
Maybe it's time for a new set of options, then.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 09:52 AM   #42
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I think the point everyone here is trying to get through to you is that if the Democrats started doing what the Republicans are doing in order to stay in power, I (at least) wouldn't consider myself a member of their party. I refuse to support a party that's entirely corrupt from the bottom up. That shouldn't be a shock to anyone, and you speaking down to anyone that won't support those methods says more about you than anyone you're speaking to.
I get it. My point is that some posters are living in a pipe-dream. We’ve already passed the point of no-return. And for the record, the Dems already are corrupt from the bottom up. They’re just not smart about it.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

Last edited by Tony; 9th October 2018 at 09:57 AM.
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 09:54 AM   #43
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Maybe it's time for a new set of options, then.
I agree. As soon as you locate that set of new (viable) options, let me know.

Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 10:00 AM   #44
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

And for the record, the Dems already are corrupt from the bottom up. They’re just not smart about it.
This very thread belies your claim.

It’s an example of Democrats doing the right thing and rooting out wrongdoing in their ranks.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 10:02 AM   #45
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

It’s an example of Democrats doing the right thing and rooting out wrongdoing in their ranks.
No. It actually supports my claim that they’re not smart about it.

Old 9th October 2018, 10:04 AM   #46
johnny karate

They weren’t smart about doing the right thing and rooting out wrongdoing in their ranks?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 10:06 AM   #47
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

They weren’t smart about doing the right thing and rooting out wrongdoing in their ranks?
Huh?

Old 9th October 2018, 10:11 AM   #48
johnny karate

The “it” at the end of your sentence has been lost in translation. It reads like you’re referring to what I said.

What’s “it” and how do the events being discussed in this thread prove the Democrats aren’t smart about “it”?
Old 9th October 2018, 10:24 AM   #49
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
May I ask what amendment the convention would lead to?
I honestly thought Tony was making this up, but a Google search found The New Yorker (I think) article on this topic. The motivating amendment is a balanced budget amendment. Many states are in favor of this.

It's my understanding that most economists hate the idea.

But whether it's a good idea or not, it's not about fundamental changes to our democracy (except for restricting certain budget options, obviously).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 10:40 AM   #50
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I honestly thought Tony was making this up, but a Google search found The New Yorker (I think) article on this topic. The motivating amendment is a balanced budget amendment. Many states are in favor of this.

It's my understanding that most economists hate the idea.

But whether it's a good idea or not, it's not about fundamental changes to our democracy (except for restricting certain budget options, obviously).
You’ve never heard of the conservative effort to rewrite the Constituion by evoking Article V?

This has been a conservative goal for years. Here is a recent article on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...onvention-alec

And it goes way beyond a Balanced Budget Amendment. Is has the potential to completely recreate our system in the extreme rights warped image. The Dems and the left in general should thwart that at all costs.

Last edited by Tony; 9th October 2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:38 PM   #51
applecorped
Banned

A federal judge on Tuesday rejected any sort of pretrial release for a former congressional staffer accused of posting online the home addresses of Republican senators backing Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Supreme Court.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 04:12 PM   #52
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

A thought: Dear US friends - correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the contact details for your senators and congresspeople readily available to the public anyway? On official websites and think-tank websites and such? If so, why do they even need to be "doxxed" to Wiki at all?

Which leads to the question: What was this dingbat REALLY doing going to the trouble of breaking in to a former employer's office to make public information that is already public and easily obtainable on any mobile phone with internet connection?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 06:08 PM   #53
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
A thought: Dear US friends - correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the contact details for your senators and congresspeople readily available to the public anyway? On official websites and think-tank websites and such? If so, why do they even need to be "doxxed" to Wiki at all?

Which leads to the question: What was this dingbat REALLY doing going to the trouble of breaking in to a former employer's office to make public information that is already public and easily obtainable on any mobile phone with internet connection?
First question: The professional contact details of elected officials are readily available. That includes their office address, public access phone number and fax number, and office email address. In some cases officials make social media contact information available. The indicted staffer was releasing home addresses and personal phone numbers. Those are private.

Second question: No idea what he was up to, but it does seem weird.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:03 PM   #54
The Big Dog

He also threatened to release the senator’s children’s info in order to intimidate a witness.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:21 PM   #55
applecorped
Banned

(D).....stands for doxxing
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 07:30 PM   #56
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
First question: The professional contact details of elected officials are readily available. That includes their office address, public access phone number and fax number, and office email address. In some cases officials make social media contact information available. The indicted staffer was releasing home addresses and personal phone numbers. Those are private.
The media seem to have little trouble finding these data and using it to locate and papp people of current interest. And I recall in the dim dark past most home phone numbers could be found in this big white annual book that lists people and businesses alphabetically...

Quote:
Second question: No idea what he was up to, but it does seem weird.
I would have though that, having obtained all this juicy stuff on the candidates and their families, they would do all their doxxing from somewhere private where they could not be (easily, quickly) traced, e.g. a McDonalds restaurant. But no, he had to go back into the office and use someone's PC there. So it would seem to me the goal was not the doxxing per se. It was to incriminate the person who's PC it was. And that suggests strongly either a personal beef with that person (did he fire him unreasonably?) or perhaps it was part of a longer game to sow discord among the Democrats. That is, the perpetrator was never a genuine Democrat volunteer at all.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 09:24 PM   #57
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The media seem to have little trouble finding these data and using it to locate and papp people of current interest. And I recall in the dim dark past most home phone numbers could be found in this big white annual book that lists people and businesses alphabetically...

The fact that security doesn't always work is not a good reason to abandon it. As to phone books; my towns phone book used to be two phone books the size of the ones the circus strong man tears in half. Now it's one quarto size book thinner than the motor manual for a Vespa. You will not find my name and address in it, nor that of my family. Unlisted numbers, lots of people have them. Businesses don't pay for the big full page adds anymore, so much thinner yellow pages.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 09:31 PM   #58
Elagabalus
Philosopher

The fact that security doesn't always work is not a good reason to abandon it. As to phone books; my towns phone book used to be two phone books the size of the ones the circus strong man tears in half. Now it's one quarto size book thinner than the motor manual for a Vespa. You will not find my name and address in it, nor that of my family. Unlisted numbers, lots of people have them. Businesses don't pay for the big full page adds anymore, so much thinner yellow pages.
And yet, it seems like every ******* week I find the latest phone book on my front porch that is exactly the same as the previous one! Why do they keep giving me the same phone book?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:13 PM   #59
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The paparazzi seem to be able to locate any people they want in the most obscure places, even when they want to stay ultra-private. My guess is they just follow them about and sift their trash. They also are fairly careless online when it comes to personal contact details. Seriously, finding out where people live and their contact details is pretty easy for any reasonably savvy investigator.

Quote:
As to phone books; my towns phone book used to be two phone books the size of the ones the circus strong man tears in half. Now it's one quarto size book thinner than the motor manual for a Vespa. You will not find my name and address in it, nor that of my family. Unlisted numbers, lots of people have them. Businesses don't pay for the big full page adds anymore, so much thinner yellow pages.
We used to use last year's phone books for toilet paper because they had so many pages. Nowadays they would not last a single decent bout of ultra-hot chili.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 15th October 2018 at 10:16 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics