IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts , haunted houses

Old 8th July 2021, 10:25 PM   #41
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
Other than the weird race stuff, not sure why folks are getting on caincain's case. As far as I can tell, he wasn't claiming to have done a s lol I'd experiment, just giving a guess as to why some people are psychologically predisposed to expect a haunting. Regardless of it's accuracy, it's just a guess
"I ran an experiment on the effects of water at 0 degrees Celsius. My Jew assistant, Irving took notes. Well, he calls himself 'Oiving', cause you know how Jews speak. We found the water solidified into ice at 0 degrees. Jew assistant Irving was unnerved by this, unlike my own more rational self. Thus concluded the experiment, which I believe supports my utterly undemonstrated hypothesis that people expect solidified water in cold temperatures.

Now some Irish accountants have taken over the lab and are positively infesting the joint. This has nothing to do with the experiment at all."

What elements of this experiment seem most worthy of note and comment to you? Feel free to interject random racial stereotypes as seems fitting. Be sure to mention the Irish, as they seem to convey some kind of Hemmingway-esque symbolism.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2021, 10:32 PM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Other than the weird race stuff, it's inane. Supposedly there's a hypothesis and a test, but this part of the story is almost incoherent. This reads more like the stream of consciousness diary of a lowkey racist, than any serious attempt at some sort of skeptical inquiry into the paranormal. Why not get on that case?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2021, 06:21 AM   #43
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That was it, thanks. My oldest had me read it when she was I think in her second year at Law school. PA's federal court had a wicked sense of humor.
As I understand it, legal writing is normally very regimented. I think you have to reach a certain stature in the legal profession to be given leave to write with some degree of art and entertainment in mind.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2021, 09:35 AM   #44
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Other than the weird race stuff, it's inane. Supposedly there's a hypothesis and a test, but this part of the story is almost incoherent. This reads more like the stream of consciousness diary of a lowkey racist, than any serious attempt at some sort of skeptical inquiry into the paranormal. Why not get on that case?
I would humbly suggest that this is pretty much exactly what it is.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2021, 09:36 AM   #45
Cainkane1
Philosopher

"I ran an experiment on the effects of water at 0 degrees Celsius. My Jew assistant, Irving took notes. Well, he calls himself 'Oiving', cause you know how Jews speak. We found the water solidified into ice at 0 degrees. Jew assistant Irving was unnerved by this, unlike my own more rational self. Thus concluded the experiment, which I believe supports my utterly undemonstrated hypothesis that people expect solidified water in cold temperatures.

Now some Irish accountants have taken over the lab and are positively infesting the joint. This has nothing to do with the experiment at all."

What elements of this experiment seem most worthy of note and comment to you? Feel free to interject random racial stereotypes as seems fitting. Be sure to mention the Irish, as they seem to convey some kind of Hemmingway-esque symbolism.
I merely stated that Jewish people are extremely skeptical about ghosts and things that go bump in the night in general. If anything that is a compliment. I must be doing something right as we've been friends since 1977. Perhaps the way I tell a tale or speak of ethnic or people not the same as I am is outdated bu I am not racially or ethnically biased against anyone.

Milton and I retired from the same company in 2000. We hang out and have a drink at our local pub. When I talked about the haunted house he made fin of me in a friendly sort of way and when I saw the door to the house in question I invited him to explore this house.

Its not haunted because ghosts don't exist but the house in question fits every stereotype of a spook house. Its large, its old, it has an attic and a basement.

My greatest fear when exploring the house is that the city owns it and it might not like me trespassing. Either that or a transient might be in the house. The win

d slamming the door was scary at first and neither of us sent into the attic or basement.

Nothing I said was anti semetic. Nothing like the diatribe in Thermals post anyway.
Old 9th July 2021, 09:47 AM   #46
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I merely stated that Jewish people are extremely skeptical about ghosts and things that go bump in the night in general. If anything that is a compliment. I must be doing something right as we've been friends since 1977. Perhaps the way I tell a tale or speak of ethnic or people not the same as I am is outdated bu I am not racially or ethnically biased against anyone.

Milton and I retired from the same company in 2000. We hang out and have a drink at our local pub. When I talked about the haunted house he made fin of me in a friendly sort of way and when I saw the door to the house in question I invited him to explore this house.

Its not haunted because ghosts don't exist but the house in question fits every stereotype of a spook house. Its large, its old, it has an attic and a basement.

My greatest fear when exploring the house is that the city owns it and it might not like me trespassing. Either that or a transient might be in the house. The win

d slamming the door was scary at first and neither of us sent into the attic or basement.

Nothing I said was anti semetic. Nothing like the diatribe in Thermals post anyway.
Buddy, I hope you understand that the way you interject random racial/ethnic asides sounds super strange to a lot of people. Like super dooper Wtf out in left field strange.

What, for example, does a Mexican law firm currently occupying every nook and cranny of the place (after you concluded) have to do with your experiment?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2021, 09:52 AM   #47
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

You and Milton certainly can't be sure the house was not haunted if you didn't even bother to check the attic. Everyone knows that's where they spend the majority of their time.
Old 9th July 2021, 10:56 AM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Of course you're racially and ethnically biased. You said it yourself: Mexicans. Every time you say something complimentary about Jews, you say something derogatory about Mexicans by comparison. The comparison you raised on purpose to point out exactly this difference between your two racial stereotypes.

Also, positive racial stereotypes are still racial stereotypes.

Also, the Jews brought us zionism, hasidism, and golems (which are cool, but also superstitious af).

Also, "some of my best friends are Jews" just makes you look more casually and ignorantly racist, not less. A concept which I'm pretty sure was already well known by 1977.

Why is it important to you to embellish your story with racist stereotypes? Why is it necessary for you to defend those embellishments when they are called out?

You're not Rip van Winkle. You didn't fall asleep in a more racist time, and wake up yesterday. You've lived through every single day between 1977 and now, just like me. You've had every opportunity to change with the times, just like everyone else. You've had forty years to figure it out.

Don't use "I'm old" as an excuse. Being old just means you've seen more stuff and experienced more of life, and should know better by now.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2021, 11:11 AM   #49
Venom
Philosopher

Are you the poster who came up with the enclosed space hypothesis a while back?
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2021, 11:17 AM   #50
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why is it important to you to embellish your story with racist stereotypes? Why is it necessary for you to defend those embellishments when they are called out?
Well, to be fair, it is kind of entertaining. Better than a boring science paper, imo. And, I don't necessarily think there is any ill-intent with the mention of kikes and beaners. Not everything needs to be PC, you know.

I think we have been a little too harsh on this guy.
Old 9th July 2021, 11:31 AM   #51
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Buddy, I hope you understand that the way you interject random racial/ethnic asides sounds super strange to a lot of people. Like super dooper Wtf out in left field strange.

What, for example, does a Mexican law firm currently occupying every nook and cranny of the place (after you concluded) have to do with your experiment?
Talking to the lawyer he informed me that ghosts are part of his culture. Milton S is a lifelong friend. You seem to think the very mention of a race or ethnic other than your own means you have sinister motives which in my case aren't true.

Quite frankly if I could eliminate this thread I'd do so.

This is my last response to my very poorly thought out post.
Old 9th July 2021, 11:47 AM   #52
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Talking to the lawyer he informed me that ghosts are part of his culture. Milton S is a lifelong friend. You seem to think the very mention of a race or ethnic other than your own means you have sinister motives which in my case aren't true.

I can understand where you might be discouraged by the results. A lot of us have had some fun at your expense.

But, I do think that people overlook cultural norms a lot. Whether with the paranormal or otherwise. Stereotypes are frowned upon, but sometimes they are simply rooted in the observation of such norms. Perhaps even your friend Milton relayed his take on Jewish culture, as you mentioned the Mexican lawyer did, relating to ghosts.

So, in summation, I do appreciate you taking the time to post.
Old 9th July 2021, 04:12 PM   #53
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, to be fair, it is kind of entertaining. Better than a boring science paper, imo. And, I don't necessarily think there is any ill-intent with the mention of kikes and beaners. Not everything needs to be PC, you know.

Wow. Well that explains a lot.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2021, 07:04 AM   #54
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Wow. Well that explains a lot.
Why Mark, whatever do you mean?
Old 10th July 2021, 09:12 AM   #55
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post

Political correctness, man. It's proper to say (((friend))) and rapist. Get with the 21st century forms of address, brah.

Old 10th July 2021, 03:26 PM   #56
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

You must realize that a single lawyer doesn't represent the entire ex is an population, nor does your buddy represent all Jews
Old 11th July 2021, 08:13 AM   #57
Warp12
Graduate Poster

For those just joining the conversation:

Article on the Jewish view of ghosts:

https://www.ou.org/life/inspiration/jewish-view-ghosts/

Wiki on ghosts in Mexican culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_in_Mexican_culture

Wiki on ethnic slurs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal