IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Reply
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,289
Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum - America's "Bigfoot Professor" - Part Deux

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Our group is participating in a sasquatch conference and one of the speakers will be Dr. Meldrum. So not only will I be meeting him for the first time, I will be picking him up from the airport and driving him to the conference location which is about 2 1/2 hours away.

I understand he is not held in high regard on this forum but I don't share that sentiment. I do respect the man and am truly looking forward to meeting and being able to talk to him without interruption.

My question to this group is if you had this type of access, what would you ask him? If I think you have a serious and legitimate question, I will ask him and reply back with what he said.

The conference is 6 weeks out so let me know. Obviously I'm going to ignore all BS questions but am interested in hearing your thoughts.
Well, the man's reputation is as laughable as they come. A scientist who misuses his trade and bends the truth, hiding behind his tenure while peddling fraudulent evidence and supporting fraudulent claims.

It's not BS questions you need to ignore when it comes to good ol' Jeff, it's BS answers.


Mod InfoThread continued from here.

You may quote or respond to any post from the previous part.
Posted By:zooterkin
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'

Last edited by zooterkin; 5th March 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 7,289
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Whether you believe the Bigfootz is real or you don't, Meldrum sold out to being a "Celebrity" Bigfooter long ago, so yes, that does at least partially impact his "credibility.
A Mormon scientist who goes around the country selling obviously man-made Bigfoot casts to grown men in Harry Potter t-shirts. Literally no credibility involved.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,154
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Well, the man's reputation is as laughable as they come. A scientist who misuses his trade and bends the truth, hiding behind his tenure while peddling fraudulent evidence and supporting fraudulent claims.

It's not BS questions you need to ignore when it comes to good ol' Jeff, it's BS answers.
What other questions could there be of a BS shoveller shovelling BS about a BS subject?
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
What other questions could there be of a BS shoveller shovelling BS about a BS subject?
The real question is why does someone act as a shill for the BS'er. What is the mindset of someone who has a desire to protect the BS'er, it's very much a cult like behavior.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 08:06 AM   #5
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,383
Does anyone remember this lovely bit from Dr. Meldrum?
https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017...-north-america

The Shrike had some nice comments on the article.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 02:23 PM   #6
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster
 
jerrywayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,083
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Does anyone remember this lovely bit from Dr. Meldrum?
https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017...-north-america

The Shrike had some nice comments on the article.
I thought both The Shrike and Dr. Meldrum scored some points in their exchange. Dr. Meldrum's position as he articulates it: "There is much compelling evidence, stopping short of "conclusive," which as I have always acknowledged, would require a type specimen." The problem here is that Dr. Meldrum behaves as if that "compelling evidence" is conclusive (notice he puts the word conclusive in quotes as if to diminish it). He behaves as if he hasn't any real doubt in a field that requires substantial doubt to be credible.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:30 AM   #7
CORed
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 10,358
Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
I thought both The Shrike and Dr. Meldrum scored some points in their exchange. Dr. Meldrum's position as he articulates it: "There is much compelling evidence, stopping short of "conclusive," which as I have always acknowledged, would require a type specimen." The problem here is that Dr. Meldrum behaves as if that "compelling evidence" is conclusive (notice he puts the word conclusive in quotes as if to diminish it). He behaves as if he hasn't any real doubt in a field that requires substantial doubt to be credible.
I consider the lack of a type speciment to be pretty conclusive evidence of non-existence There is simply no way that such a creature could exist in North America without leaving a trace.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,154
Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I consider the lack of a type speciment to be pretty conclusive evidence of non-existence There is simply no way that such a creature could exist in North America without leaving a trace.
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence where evidence is necessarily expected.
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 11:38 AM   #9
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 5,147
Ah, the Meldrum version of the Gish Gallop, enabled by naive editors and assclown fanbois.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #10
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,383
OK who laid down the London Trackway?

Did we ever find out?

I can't remember.

https://www.isu.edu/media/libraries/...way_final-.pdf
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:53 AM   #11
mysteriousmonsters65
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 12
"Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum, Ph.D. - Idaho State University, Associate Professor of Anatomy & Anthropology, Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Anthropology, Dept. of Occupational and Physical Therapy, Affiliate Curator, Idaho Museum of Natural History." Phew ! Now that's a hell of a title. I wonder if he has to type it on his cell phone or a note pad and pull it out and recite when asked about his credentials at any random person asking his qualifications.
mysteriousmonsters65 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 12:08 AM   #12
rockinkt
Master Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,169
Originally Posted by mysteriousmonsters65 View Post
"Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum, Ph.D. - Idaho State University, Associate Professor of Anatomy & Anthropology, Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Anthropology, Dept. of Occupational and Physical Therapy, Affiliate Curator, Idaho Museum of Natural History." Phew ! Now that's a hell of a title. I wonder if he has to type it on his cell phone or a note pad and pull it out and recite when asked about his credentials at any random person asking his qualifications.
It should read: "Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum Ph.D. - Flock Leader, Department of Quacks."
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 06:07 AM   #13
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,383
Dr. Meldrum is a guest on a podcast.

I couldn't even read the synopsis without laughing my coffee all over my screen.

Quote:
Dr. Jeff shares sasquatch stories about determining average height, eating habits and food availability, Sasquatch Scat (4:02), meat eating evidence, aggressive behaviors, possible discovery of a homesite, hair having no medulla (36:53), tracking seasonal movement and repeat appearances, Bigfoot Field Research Organization certified curators validating footprints, why there has not been a Sasquatch body found (1:06:23), determining life expectancy, the term “Missing Link” being a misnomer, cognitive function and expression (1:43:26), Patterson and Gimlin video evidence, why he believes the film is real, testicales proving a lack of male competition, finding footprints and evidence of baby footprints (2:18:30)
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000523305569
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 06:14 AM   #14
Warp12
Graduate Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,862
I don't follow this guy, although I have read bits and pieces. Is the idea that he is a fraudster, or just not a very good scientist? Or both?
__________________
“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” - Ronald Reagan
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 10:12 AM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,931
He is deluded in thinking you can have this creature without any biological evidence after many hundreds of years. No roadkill ever. No remains ever found. He is crazy.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 10:21 AM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,931
He is also a devout Mormon which requires crazy thinking too.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 06:33 AM   #17
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,383
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I don't follow this guy, although I have read bits and pieces. Is the idea that he is a fraudster, or just not a very good scientist? Or both?
Well, he uses his professor rank & Bigfoot celebrity status, to persuade people to donate money to questionable causes.

One of these questionable causes was the 'Falcon Project' an un-flyable, dual-envelope, dirigible with a huge camera on it, a crew, and a truck to act as the pit-crew.

Grant request:


Cost Summary:


Angry Bigfooter who left his job and family to go help with the project with the promise of getting paid:
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 09:25 AM   #18
Warp12
Graduate Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,862
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Well, he uses his professor rank & Bigfoot celebrity status, to persuade people to donate money to questionable causes.

One of these questionable causes was the 'Falcon Project' an un-flyable, dual-envelope, dirigible with a huge camera on it, a crew, and a truck to act as the pit-crew.

Grant request:
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...538/y8DFBi.jpg

Cost Summary:
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...909/hmrFgx.jpg

Angry Bigfooter who left his job and family to go help with the project with the promise of getting paid:
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...538/MgBmTA.jpg
I remember the blimp, now. Well, with current consumer drone tech, this hairy manimal ought to be captured on video any day now. Probably still need funding for a truck, though.
__________________
“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” - Ronald Reagan
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 05:37 AM   #19
jollyroger85
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
He is also a devout Mormon which requires crazy thinking too.
not offering Meldrum support, but immediately dismissing him based on his religious background is potentially just as ignorant.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 10:00 AM   #20
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,373
Originally Posted by jollyroger85 View Post
not offering Meldrum support, but immediately dismissing him based on his religious background is potentially just as ignorant.
I have to concur. I employ quite a number of devout Mormons as scientists and engineers. They are as professionally competent in their roles as non-Mormons. Religion does not factor into the work they do for me. No doubt there are some screwy Mormons, and it may be that Dr. Meldrum is one of them, but that's a claim that would require more evidence than just categorical reasoning.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 10:12 AM   #21
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,154
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
I have to concur. I employ quite a number of devout Mormons as scientists and engineers. They are as professionally competent in their roles as non-Mormons. Religion does not factor into the work they do for me. No doubt there are some screwy Mormons, and it may be that Dr. Meldrum is one of them, but that's a claim that would require more evidence than just categorical reasoning.
Oh he's a screwy mormon all right:


Quote:
In Who Are the Children of Lehi? Meldrum and Stephens examine the merits and the fallacies of DNA-based interpretations that challenge the Book of Mormon’s historicity. They provide clear guides to the science, summarize the studies, illuminate technical points with easy-to-grasp examples, and spell out the data’s implications.

The results? There is no straight-line conclusion between DNA evidence and “Lamanites.” The Book of Mormon’s validity lies beyond the purview of scientific empiricism—as it always has. And finally, inspiringly, they affirm Lehi’s kinship as one of covenant, not genes.
Reminds me of the Dara O'Briain line aping a wooist "There's more to life than evidence!"
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 10:33 AM   #22
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,373
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 12:43 PM   #23
jollyroger85
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Oh he's a screwy mormon all right:




Reminds me of the Dara O'Briain line aping a wooist "There's more to life than evidence!"
You miss the point maybe, with all the angst in the Social/Current events section etc, it seems like the height of hypocrisy to dismiss one's competence soley based on their religion.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 12:44 PM   #24
jollyroger85
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Concur.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 01:03 PM   #25
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,154
Originally Posted by jollyroger85 View Post
You miss the point maybe, with all the angst in the Social/Current events section etc, it seems like the height of hypocrisy to dismiss one's competence soley based on their religion.
When their scientific competency is compromised by their religion, in this case:
Quote:
The Book of Mormon’s validity lies beyond the purview of scientific empiricism—as it always has. And finally, inspiringly, they affirm Lehi’s kinship as one of covenant, not genes
Then I am perfectly reasonable in questioning it.

I don't think I missed the point at all.


ETA: "The book of bigfoot validity lies beyond the purview of scientific empircism . . . "

ETAII: All of which was in reply to Jay Utah:
Quote:
No doubt there are some screwy Mormons, and it may be that Dr. Meldrum is one of them, but that's a claim that would require more evidence than just categorical reasoning.
I think the link I posted adequately addresses Mr. Utah's requirement.
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 30th June 2021 at 01:31 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 02:23 PM   #26
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,373
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I think the link I posted adequately addresses Mr. Utah's requirement.
It does. My objection is to categorical reasoning as a convenient substitute for knowledge of the more proximate facts.
Mormons are slipshod thinkers.
Meldrum is a Mormon, therefore
Meldrum is a slipshod thinker.
I disagree with the major premise as a categorical statement, so naturally I don't subscribe to this syllogism. The more proximate facts are that Dr. Meldrum has not only mixed his religion with his science (something I have not often seen Mormons do), but done so in a way that conflates religious belief with scientific reasoning. He can be said to be a slipshod thinker based on a whole different, and clearly particularized, set of facts.

I can't say whether he has also committed a similar conflation in his Bigfoot studies, because I'm unfamiliar with that work. That is yet another body of proximate facts I don't have ready. And as such it still smacks of lazy categorical reasoning to say that just because he's one of "those" Mormons, it must necessarily affect his anthropology and cryptozoology research. If we want to talk about Bigfoot research he has done, then that should speak for itself. It doesn't need "priming" from our preconceptions arising out of his admixture of religion and science elsewhere.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 03:42 PM   #27
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,154
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
It does. My objection is to categorical reasoning as a convenient substitute for knowledge of the more proximate facts.
Mormons are slipshod thinkers.
Meldrum is a Mormon, therefore
Meldrum is a slipshod thinker.
I disagree with the major premise as a categorical statement, so naturally I don't subscribe to this syllogism. The more proximate facts are that Dr. Meldrum has not only mixed his religion with his science (something I have not often seen Mormons do), but done so in a way that conflates religious belief with scientific reasoning. He can be said to be a slipshod thinker based on a whole different, and clearly particularized, set of facts.

I can't say whether he has also committed a similar conflation in his Bigfoot studies, because I'm unfamiliar with that work. That is yet another body of proximate facts I don't have ready. And as such it still smacks of lazy categorical reasoning to say that just because he's one of "those" Mormons, it must necessarily affect his anthropology and cryptozoology research. If we want to talk about Bigfoot research he has done, then that should speak for itself. It doesn't need "priming" from our preconceptions arising out of his admixture of religion and science elsewhere.
I believe Meldrum has also conflated his religion with his bigfoot science concerning some sort of link between footie and the Nephilim, but I might be misrembering that. Someone around here might have better information on that aspect.
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 05:37 AM   #28
jollyroger85
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
When their scientific competency is compromised by their religion, in this case: Then I am perfectly reasonable in questioning it.

I don't think I missed the point at all.


ETA: "The book of bigfoot validity lies beyond the purview of scientific empircism . . . "

ETAII: All of which was in reply to Jay Utah:


I think the link I posted adequately addresses Mr. Utah's requirement.
Nope, your logic is flawed, two separate issues here. What is being attempted is Meldrum is ******* for bigfoot because MORMON.... its a bigoted outlook so own it.... it's rationalized bigotry


To attempt to break down and disprove any holy book is a completely seperate debate.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 05:39 AM   #29
jollyroger85
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Mormons are slipshod thinkers.
Meldrum is a Mormon, therefore
Meldrum is a slipshod thinker.

The aftermath rationizing doesnt really help deflect the original context which was exactly what you propose above.

Thats not skepticism, thats not critical thinking, its exactly the logic portrayed
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 12:24 PM   #30
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,383
For those of you wondering, the argument should be, that Dr. Meldrum isn't a very good scientist, not, that he is a mormon, therefore he isn't a good scientist.

His book on the DNA of Native Americans and how just because their DNA doesn't match to the Children of Lehi, is not reason enough to discredit the idea that the Children of Lehi became the Native Americans, because sure, after thousands of years the Children of Lehi DNA was dilluted by the Native Americans who came from Asia, has ABSOLUTELY zero to do with him being a Mormon, He's just a bad scientist. Although, if one is doing bad science, in order to inflate the believers in a religion's faith... OMG that sounds like someone who is inflating Bigfoot's Existence with bad science, in order to inflate the believer's faith... (Now I'm not sure, maybe it does have something to do with him being a Mormon...)

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Children-.../dp/B005GGTA3Q

Quote:
How does the Book of Mormon, keystone of the LDS faith, stand up to data about DNA sequencing that puts the ancestors of modern Native Americans in northeast Asia instead of Palestine?

In Who Are the Children of Lehi? Meldrum and Stephens examine the merits and the fallacies of DNA-based interpretations that challenge the Book of Mormon’s historicity. They provide clear guides to the science, summarize the studies, illuminate technical points with easy-to-grasp examples, and spell out the data’s implications.

The results? There is no straight-line conclusion between DNA evidence and “Lamanites.” The Book of Mormon’s validity lies beyond the purview of scientific empiricism—as it always has. And finally, inspiringly, they affirm Lehi’s kinship as one of covenant, not genes.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic

Last edited by Drewbot; 1st July 2021 at 12:27 PM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 12:32 PM   #31
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,154
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
For those of you wondering, the argument should be, that Dr. Meldrum isn't a very good scientist, not, that he is a mormon, therefore he isn't a good scientist.

His book on the DNA of Native Americans and how just because their DNA doesn't match to the Children of Lehi, is not reason enough to discredit the idea that the Children of Lehi became the Native Americans, because sure, after thousands of years the Children of Lehi DNA was dilluted by the Native Americans who came from Asia, has ABSOLUTELY zero to do with him being a Mormon, He's just a bad scientist. Although, if one is doing bad science, in order to inflate the believers in a religion's faith... OMG that sounds like someone who is inflating Bigfoot's Existence with bad science, in order to inflate the believer's faith... (Now I'm not sure, maybe it does have something to do with him being a Mormon...)

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Children-.../dp/B005GGTA3Q
See post 21.

Meldrum is demurring to his faith over his scientific understanding. If he weren't a mormon, he'd make no such demurs.

Quote:
The Book of Mormon’s validity lies beyond the purview of scientific empiricism—as it always has. And finally, inspiringly, they affirm Lehi’s kinship as one of covenant, not genes.
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 1st July 2021 at 12:38 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2021, 05:50 AM   #32
jollyroger85
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
See post 21.

Meldrum is demurring to his faith over his scientific understanding. If he weren't a mormon, he'd make no such demurs.
Unless you're a mind reader you don't know that. Bad science can just be bad science. David Icke has proven to be a proud guano connoisseur without dragging any particular religion into it to my knowledge.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2021, 08:42 AM   #33
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by jollyroger85 View Post
Quote:
riginally Posted by Resume View Post
See post 21.

Meldrum is demurring to his faith over his scientific understanding. If he weren't a mormon, he'd make no such demurs.
Unless you're a mind reader you don't know that. Bad science can just be bad science. David Icke has proven to be a proud guano connoisseur without dragging any particular religion into it to my knowledge.
I agree that bad science doesn't require any specific religious beliefs and those in fact may have no relation to the particular piece of bad science.

Thus I doubt that Meldrum's boosting of Bigfoot woo has anything to do with his Mormon beliefs. However in regards to his his claims about the Book of Mormon and the pre-Columbian history of the Americas, especially his boosting of the whole Lehi nonsense etc.; it appears that his Mormon beliefs have a lot to do with that.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 12:19 PM   #34
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,383
The most PENETRATING search for sasquatch.

__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 12:23 PM   #35
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,154
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
The most PENETRATING search for sasquatch.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...7583158128.jpg
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Sad Trombone
__________________
“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 08:24 PM   #36
whatsthedreamnow
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
The most PENETRATING search for sasquatch.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...7583158128.jpg
No women were on this penetrating project?
whatsthedreamnow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2021, 01:26 PM   #37
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster
 
HarryHenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: All up in your business!
Posts: 1,873
Originally Posted by whatsthedreamnow View Post
No women were on this penetrating project?
They knew they were missing something, they just couldn't figure out what it was.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.