IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th July 2021, 02:03 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Fyre Festival for Ultrarunners ?

This is a very peculiar story about a super-luxury ultrarunning event.

Quote:
Highland Kings Ultra, a four-day camping race covering 120 miles on the west coast of Scotland, costs 15,499 per person to enter.

In contrast, the 95-mile West Highland Way Race costs just 120.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57975285

In my experience, ultra-runners like to rough it and don't tend to be multi-millionaires so this would likely be a *very* niche market.

Will this turn out to be like the Fyre Festival ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2021, 06:00 AM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

In my experience, ultra-runners like to rough it and don't tend to be multi-millionaires so this would likely be a *very* niche market.

BT Barnum has been dead for for a 130 years but his spirit lives on.
Old 28th July 2021, 06:08 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

The hallmark of the Fyre Festival was that it didn't exist, not that it was gratuitously luxurious.

Have you seen any evidence that this event doesn't actually exist?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2021, 07:47 AM   #4
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The hallmark of the Fyre Festival was that it didn't exist, not that it was gratuitously luxurious.

Have you seen any evidence that this event doesn't actually exist?
It did exist, but it was extremely poorly planned and executed, and did not match the description in the advertising, which was that it was a luxury event.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2021, 08:03 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
It did exist, but it was extremely poorly planned and executed, and did not match the description in the advertising, which was that it was a luxury event.
You're welcome to use whatever term you want. I'm sticking with "did not exist". I think it captures the distinction between garden-variety poor planning, and the epic-level, across-the-board, didn't-even-think-or-try clownshow.

If someone says "Fyre Festival?" I want to see mind-boggling levels of incompetence and carelessness. Not, "we tried, but we're just not very good at this." Not, "we had high hopes, but bit off more than we could chew. Not even, "yeah, we ran your standard bait and switch to fleece the marks." I want the full monty. I want the "this was never actually going to happen, but we weren't going to let that stop us from screwing it up anyway!"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events