IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th July 2021, 12:25 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

‘Fyre Fest’ of Summer Camps Shut Down After Parents Spend Thousands

Right here in New Hampshire no less!

Camper Brawls, Uncooked Meatballs: ‘Fyre Fest’ of Summer Camps Shut Down After Parents Spend Thousands

Quote:
An expensive sleep-away camp in New Hampshire was such a disaster that it was forced to shut down after just one week earlier this month, leaving eager campers and their parents in the lurch.

Kids and staffers at Camp Quinebarge—a decades-old program in Moultonborough trying to make its comeback after a canceled summer season last year—described six days of chaos to the Boston Globe, which likened it to the doomed “Fyre Festival,” with undercooked food, quarantined and vomiting campers, staffing shortages, and brawls.

“We have been in tears, bored, and devastated the whole day,” one camper wrote to his parents in a letter that was shared with the newspaper, adding that the camp director was “lying to you all.”
Quote:
A summer adventure at Quinebarge costs $3,400 for two weeks, and an eye-popping $9,800 for the full eight-week program, according to the camp website. Carlson told The Daily Beast in an email that families from its first session “mostly received a pro-rata refund” for the debacle this year, although some received full refunds.

All families who had registered for the camp’s upcoming sessions will be receiving full refunds, Carlson said.
Unlike Fyre Festival, at least people got refunds.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 01:44 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Camper Brawls, Uncooked Meatballs: ‘Fyre Fest’ of Summer Camps Shut Down After Parents Spend Thousands

Sort of a modern day "Camp Granada" (after the fictional disfunctional Summer camp immortalized in Allan Sherman's song of the same name...."Hello mudda, Hello Fadda, ther I am from Camp Granada"\

The uncoooked meatballs remind me of the
Mystery Meat contest in Bill Murray's
Meatballs.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 02:00 PM   #3
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Sort of a modern day "Camp Granada" (after the fictional disfunctional Summer camp immortalized in Allan Sherman's song of the same name...."Hello mudda, Hello Fadda, ther I am from Camp Granada"\

Meatballs.
Or D. R. and Quinch's 'Camp Apocalypse'.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 02:43 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Also unlike Fyre Festival, it was a real operation that actually operated effectively, before the shutdown, and then botched its reopening. Which is certainly amateur-hour type stuff, but not quite the same as sociopaths LARPing as festival organizers.

Unless it's under new management now, and the new managers are in fact LARPing sociopaths.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 03:04 PM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Meatballs.
The cost of attending sounds more like Camp Mohawk though. I wonder if Camp Quinebarge also has a Sexual Awareness Week too?

We are the C I Ts so pity us.
The kids are brats, the food is hideous
We're going to smoke and drink and fool around
We're nookie bound
We are the Northstar C I Ts

Last edited by acbytesla; 24th July 2021 at 03:41 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Have you been reading 80s comics?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2021, 10:21 AM   #7
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
S'right

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2021, 10:24 AM   #8
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Kamp Krusty

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2021, 01:31 PM   #9
Lplus
Muse

Camp Weedontwantcha
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2021, 02:15 PM   #10
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Have you been reading 80s comics?
Oddly enough, no. I do have the complete D. R. and Quinch around but I haven't re-read it at all recently.
It came to me in another thread ("Mind the oranges, Marlon!") and seems to have stuck.
I'll ask my resident shrink if this has some deep meaning.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2021, 02:25 PM   #11
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Also unlike Fyre Festival, it was a real operation that actually operated effectively, before the shutdown, and then botched its reopening. Which is certainly amateur-hour type stuff, but not quite the same as sociopaths LARPing as festival organizers.

Unless it's under new management now, and the new managers are in fact LARPing sociopaths.

Looks like new management, but by people who knew how the camp should run. From the link:
Quote:
In his statement explaining the camp’s closing, Carlson, who took the reins of the camp this past spring and co-owns it with his wife, Lesley, said that in addition to the 15 staffers who had dropped out, a nurse who had committed to the camp for the summer “simply did not show up.”

Still, Carlson, who is an alumnus of the camp’s long legacy from the 1980s, said Quinebarge is expected to reopen to campers next year.
It sounds like maybe they tried to reopen it on very short notice, maybe after late relaxation of covid restrictions, without anything like the planning and investment such a business would require.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2021, 03:10 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The cost of attending sounds more like Camp Mohawk though. I wonder if Camp Quinebarge also has a Sexual Awareness Week too?

We are the C I Ts so pity us.
The kids are brats, the food is hideous
We're going to smoke and drink and fool around
We're nookie bound
We are the Northstar C I Ts
But then...

IT JUST DOES"NT MATTER!

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2021, 05:39 PM   #13
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It sounds like maybe they tried to reopen it on very short notice, maybe after late relaxation of covid restrictions, without anything like the planning and investment such a business would require.
I wonder how much this $3400-per-head summer camp pays its staffers. 15 of them quitting before the opening - that's impressive.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2021, 05:28 AM   #14
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Indeed, other than being a total disaster, I'm not seeing much of a likeness to Fyre. People sending their kids to this luxury camp probably had a realistic expectation that the program would be run well, given the previous track record.

The strange thing about Fyre was how slick marketing and unrestrained social media hype could create a huge demand for something that didn't even exist and never had a chance of success.

Edit: At least a slice of American cheese on bread is edible, but then again being stranded in New Hampshire is much preferable to being on a tropical island without running water.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 28th July 2021 at 05:29 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2021, 08:43 AM   #15
thines
Scholar

Camp Runamuck

A long forgotten NBC sitcom that ran for just one season - 1965 - 1966.
thines is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2021, 09:23 AM   #16
crescent
Illuminator

My understanding is that the camp was actually ticking along perfectly well for a number of days. Right up until they decided to cast Wednesday Addams in the play....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events