IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags smoke , gun , smoking

Old 17th June 2003, 12:16 AM   #1
crocodile deathroll
Muse

Another smoking gun goes up in smoke

The recent so called evidence of WMD, those two trailers used as evidence of a mobile biological weapon program have now been debunked here and here and here
Old 17th June 2003, 04:50 AM   #2
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Quote:

The skeptics noted further that the mobile plants had a means of easily extracting gas. Iraqi scientists have said the trailers were used to produce hydrogen for weather balloons. While the white paper dismisses that claim as a cover story, some analysts see the Iraqi explanation as potentially credible.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2003, 05:10 AM   #3
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Good call CD!

There is a report on NPR right now (should be available on their web site later on) which discusses how CIA Director George Tenant had deliberately withheld data from the international inspectors and possibly lied to the US Congress in order to provide support for the argument that Iraq had WMDs and was continuing to develop WMDs, when in fact, they did not.

It looks like at the very least, someone from the CIA will have to appear before Congress and do so explaining.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2003, 05:13 AM   #4
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally posted by a_unique_person ...
Iraqi scientists have said the trailers were used to produce hydrogen for weather balloons.

Old 17th June 2003, 05:27 AM   #5
OBgac
Student

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes

From one of the articles:

"Finally, the "Observer" revealed that the Iraqi military possessed precisely the kind of hydrogen-producing equipment for balloons described by the scientists who were questioned by US intelligence. A British arms manufacturer sold the system, known as "Amets", or "Artillery Meteorological System", to Baghdad in 1987, when both Washington and London were supporting Saddam Hussein’s regime."

right back at you

Aleksander Kwaśniewski 8 June2003
OBgac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2003, 05:31 AM   #6
Lurker
Illuminator

Quote:

Did you READ the articles or did you just read the quote? I suggest you read the whole articles. You might not roll your eyes.

Just a suggestion...

Lurker
Lurker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2003, 05:46 AM   #7
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally posted by Lurker

Did you READ the articles or did you just read the quote? I suggest you read the whole articles. You might not roll your eyes.

Just a suggestion...

Lurker

I'm really not interested.. I was just amused at the thought of all the high level meteorlogical research taking place within the Hussein regime...

Something to do with gas dispersion patterns, perhaps?

Old 17th June 2003, 06:05 AM   #8
crocodile deathroll
Muse

Quote:

I'm really not interested.. I was just amused at the thought of all the high level meteorlogical research taking place within the Hussein regime...

You are trying to tell us they have never had any weather in Iraq and therefore no need for high level meteorlogical research taking place during Saddam's regime! That's strange.

This looks like the weather forecast for Basra to me:
Monday
Clear. High: 120° F. / 49° C.
Monday Night
Clear. Low: 82° F. / 28° C.
Tuesday
Clear. High: 118° F. / 48° C.
Tuesday Night
Wednesday
Clear. High: 116° F. / 47° C.
Wednesday Night
Clear. Low: 84° F. / 29° C.
Thursday
Clear. High: 114° F. / 46° C.
Thursday Night
Scattered Clouds. Low: 78° F. / 26° C.
Friday
Scattered Clouds. High: 109° F. / 43° C.
Friday Night
Clear. Low: 78° F. / 26° C.
Saturday
Clear. High: 111° F. / 44° C.
Saturday Night
Sunday
Clear. High: 111° F. / 44° C.
Sunday Night
Clear. Low: 80° F. / 27° C.
Old 17th June 2003, 06:07 AM   #9
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Quote:

Weak. Come on Diogenes, you're a better thinker than this!
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2003, 06:09 AM   #10
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally posted by crocodile deathroll

You are trying to tell us they have never had any weather in Iraq during Saddam's regime!

Old 17th June 2003, 06:14 AM   #11
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Quote:

One of the links claims it is to do with artillery aiming. Worst case, it is used as part of a weather assesment system that can be used with poison gas. It is not an actual weapon itself, and they were just a couple of unused trucks.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2003, 06:22 AM   #12
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally posted by a_unique_person

One of the links claims it is to do with artillery aiming. Worst case, it is used as part of a weather assesment system that can be used with poison gas. It is not an actual weapon itself, and they were just a couple of unused trucks.

Interesting... Thanks..
Old 17th June 2003, 04:04 PM   #13
ImpyTimpy
Muse

Diogenes, are you being sarcastic or have you entered into the "true believer" mode of thinking?

Dismiss all evidence until you find the "might be" part and cling onto it with your life?

Quote:

Interesting... Thanks..
ImpyTimpy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2003, 07:10 PM   #14
crocodile deathroll
Muse

"Absence evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence"

It is not

"Absence evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence, so therefore that is justification to declare war"
Old 18th June 2003, 01:57 PM   #15
Baker
Graduate Poster

Re: Another smoking gun goes up in smoke

Quote:
Originally posted by crocodile deathroll
The recent so called evidence of WMD, those two trailers used as evidence of a mobile biological weapon program have now been debunked here and here and here
Prime Minister John Howard doesn’t seem to agree with you.
All look for more information on it.

Quote:
AT least one of three vehicle trailers found by the US military in Iraq was a mobile biological weapons platform, John Howard said yesterday.

The Prime Minister's claim was the first official confirmation by a coalition political leader that suspected vehicle trailers had actually been used to produce weapons of mass destruction.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0,5744,6608964^2702,00.html
Baker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2003, 01:08 PM   #16
E.J.Armstrong
Illuminator

Quote:
originally posted by Baker
Prime Minister John Howard doesn’t seem to agree with you.
All look for more information on it.
My auntie says that the weather might turn nasty soon.

Can I just suggest again that when some WOMD are found you let us know Baker. Now that actually would be interesting.

Anyone for a game of Spot the Truth about the war in Iraq?
E.J.Armstrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2003, 03:34 PM   #17
Baker
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by E.J.Armstrong

My auntie says that the weather might turn nasty soon.

Can I just suggest again that when some WOMD are found you let us know Baker. Now that actually would be interesting.

Anyone for a game of Spot the Truth about the war in Iraq?
That is just what we need a Scotland native to tell us what to think and say.
Baker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics