IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags fire , smoke

Old 30th June 2008, 09:51 AM   #1
1337m4n
Alphanumeric Anonymous Stick Man

Smoke COMES from fire, duh

Can anyone explain to me what the deal is with this new meme among Truthers where they deny the existence of fires in pictures that show a great deal of smoke? Is this some new denial tactic? Some new persuasive techniques? Are they just playing games to get on our nerves? Is it a desperate attempt to shut their eyes to obvious facts?

"I don't see much fire", they'll say. "I just see smoke".

Is is even possible to be this dumb?

"The evidence that the attacks of 9/11 were an inside job just keeps not coming in." --pomeroo
1337m4n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 10:01 AM   #2
sts60
Illuminator

Evidently. As a firefighter, I am greatly amused by such claims.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Good Lt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
Well, when you've had 7 years to work at it...

Yup - I'd say that they're finally scraping the bottom of the barrel. Their desperate quest for meaning, relevance and da twoof is coming to its predictable end.

One thing to keep in mind, though.

Think of how many times over the past seven years that you've thought, "well, the troofers can't possibly get any stupider than this claim/remark/video/cult leader," only to be surprised at a new low within a short period of time.

It's been a race to the intellectual gutter, and there will probably be a photo finish to see who gets there first.

Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful.
- Ian Faith

Last edited by Good Lt; 30th June 2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Capital letters and such...
Good Lt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 10:07 AM   #4
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

What they can't accept is that -

1. Some materials will always produce stonkin' great clouds of smoke, no matter how much air is available. Rubber tyres spring to mind.
2. That an efficient, well-oxygenated inferno will create fringe fires that have not yet got up to speed and are producing lots of smoke. You can try this at home with a nice dry bonfire in the back garden. Just toss some damp green stuff on the edge and watch the smoke appear.

Bottom line - they've picked up a few key words from a CT website about "inefficient fires" and that's plenty enough "research" for them.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
Can anyone explain to me what the deal is with this new meme among Truthers where they deny the existence of fires in pictures that show a great deal of smoke? Is this some new denial tactic? Some new persuasive techniques? Are they just playing games to get on our nerves? Is it a desperate attempt to shut their eyes to obvious facts?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...s/WTC7Fire.jpg

http://uploads.abovetopsecret.com/ats27400_WTC7b03.jpg

http://www.oilempire.us/graphics/wtc29.jpg

"I don't see much fire", they'll say. "I just see smoke".

Prisonplanet claims that the smoke from WTC 7 isn't smoke from WTC 7 at all, that it's from building 5 & 6:

*Begin massive cherrypicking extravaganza*

Stundie kept telling me 'no smoke=no flames' when I had at it with him too.... funny, I've waited a month now for his reply

And truth videos irrefutably debunk themselves when they show video of the smoke billowing out of the south face...

Then again that is all we can expect from a PP source
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

I haven't seen any bears in this forest, only bear poop.

Clearly that means there are no bears around here.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Slayhamlet
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Prisonplanet claims that the smoke from WTC 7 isn't smoke from WTC 7 at all, that it's from building 5 & 6:

*Begin massive cherrypicking extravaganza*

Stundie kept telling me 'no smoke=no flames' when I had at it with him too.... funny, I've waited a month now for his reply

And truth videos irrefutably debunk themselves when they show video of the smoke billowing out of the south face...

Then again that is all we can expect from a PP source
In other words, they believe smoke travelled upwind on 9/11. Have they added that to their list of "laws of physics" that were supposedly broken that day?
Slayhamlet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 11:35 AM   #8
NYCEMT86
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Evidently. As a firefighter, I am greatly amused by such claims.
i forgot how to post YT videos, so here the links for some very good videos

Smoke before a flashover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VxYzzjpKM

How to read smoke....the last part is the best

"Turbulent smoke flow is caused by extreme heat and radiant heat feedback, this is the number one warning sign that a flashover is going to occur."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ7B542OSF8

Commercial Building fire w/ flashover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxEBMZO6kIk

"The most beautiful four words in the common language is: I told you so." - Vidal
NYCEMT86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2008, 08:04 PM   #9
OldTigerCub
Striped Shapeshifting Reptoid

Originally Posted by NYCEMT86 View Post
i forgot how to post YT videos, so here the links for some very good videos

Smoke before a flashover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VxYzzjpKM

How to read smoke....the last part is the best

"Turbulent smoke flow is caused by extreme heat and radiant heat feedback, this is the number one warning sign that a flashover is going to occur."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ7B542OSF8

Commercial Building fire w/ flashover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxEBMZO6kIk
1st
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

2nd
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

3rd
I AGREE

There ya go!
Old 1st July 2008, 01:23 AM   #10
Furi
Felix Sapiens

Originally Posted by Good Lt View Post
It's been a race to the intellectual gutter, and there will probably be a photo finish to see who gets there first.
Just to keep them guessing take the photo from differing and extreme perspectives, just to keep them arguing over which crossed the line, possibly record it and post it heavily compress on YT at 1 fps so they can work out which artefacted pixel crossed the theoretical limit of teh dumb.

But then again only a close minded sheeple would accept such a claim when the only evidence is provided by NWO PNAC BBC 'anybody-who-doesn't-agree-with-my-viewpoint' and clearly suggests that further dumberisms can be committed
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2008, 01:35 AM   #11
peteweaver
Graduate Poster

As soot will accumilate upon windows, that will black out what is going on behind them, (anyone who's had a coal fire with a glass window on the front should know that).
peteweaver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories