IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Indiana incidents , Indiana politics , politics scandals , voter fraud incidents

Old 23rd December 2011, 12:41 AM   #1
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Scandal in Indiana

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=9005

Quote:
Some remarkable news late today. Finding he was not eligible to be a candidate on the ballot in the November 2010 election, a Marion County Circuit judge has ordered Indiana's Republican Sec. of State Charlie White removed from office and replaced by his Democratic challenger Vop Isili, the second highest vote getter in that election.

<SNIP>

Separately, White still faces seven criminal felony charges, including three of them for voter fraud, related to the fact that he did not live at the address where he was registered to vote in the 2010 election. As he was not a properly registered Indiana voter, he was not eligible to be a candidate on the ballot, Rosenberg has ruled. Moreover, at the time of his election, White was a member of the Fishers Town Council --- a town in which he no longer lived since separating from his wife and moving out of her house, where he remained registered to vote, several years earlier. Democrats charge he retained his registration at the house so that he could continue to collect his salary as a Council Member.

<SNIP>
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

That sounds pretty sad. But it would be funnier if it involved a rent-a-boy.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Grizzly Adams
Graduate Poster

The "remedy" for the ineligibility sounds odd. Perhaps this is how Indiana has codified it, but it seems the more reasonable outcome would be to hold a new election.

If today we discovered Obama was actually 34 years old, would we be swearing in John McCain tomorrow morning? I doubt it.

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 23rd December 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Grizzly Adams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:29 AM   #4
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Check here for those updateshttp://gayhomophobe.com/*. Looks like as of today, it has been 7 days since the last rent-a-boy update.

Daredelvis

*found at boingboing.net
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:26 PM   #5
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm glad it did not, because this shows the hypocrisy; Indiana was where people were whinging about all the Democratic voter fraud and election fraud in 2008.

Nothing was found when those allegations were investigated.

And here we see the GOP doing that very thing.

And paying the price.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:31 PM   #6
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I'm glad it did not, because this shows the hypocrisy; Indiana was where people were whinging about all the Democratic voter fraud and election fraud in 2008.

Nothing was found when those allegations were investigated.

And here we see the GOP doing that very thing.

And paying the price.
Not quite, Ben. The fraud that was made political with the Voter ID issue was separate from this case. White would have have been just as guilty of fraud without the new rules, and the new rules had no way of preventing this type of fraud.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:37 PM   #7
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
Not quite, Ben. The fraud that was made political with the Voter ID issue was separate from this case. White would have have been just as guilty of fraud without the new rules, and the new rules had no way of preventing this type of fraud.
I was trying for an ethical comparison, not a legal one. Clearly I missed!
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:58 PM   #8
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I was trying for an ethical comparison, not a legal one. Clearly I missed!
The problem was the 'Nothing was found when those allegations were investigated.' line since the only thing investigated were the specific types of fraud that would be corrected by the voter ID law.

Don't get me wrong, the guy messed up and he deserves what he got. Also there has been a Democrat accused of a similar offence in this election, but he was either not charged (due to insufficient evidence) or exonerated (I don't recall ATM).

There was a huge set of volleys back and forth each side accusing the other of only investigating because of politics. It has been pretty ugly.

The thing is both cases had to with candidates accused of getting on ballots fraudulently, not voters voting fraudulently (In White's case he re-registered in his new district in time to vote correctly, but still ran in his old district- and apparently continued to receive pay for being on a city council for a city he no longer lived in)

However, to give you an idea of how this can happen. I live less than a 5 minute drive from my office. I live in Indianapolis in Marion County, but work in Fishers in Hamilton county. The main E-W street in my area 96th is Marion county on the south side, but Hamilton county on the north).

I am still not certain how intentional this was, but knowledge of such minutia in regards to election laws is something I would expect a candidate for public office to know and not mess up.
Old 23rd December 2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Meh. If you want a real scandal based in Indiana, Google "Ku Klux Klan Indiana Rape". Just sayin'.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Unabogie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Meh. If you want a real scandal based in Indiana, Google "Ku Klux Klan Indiana Rape". Just sayin'.
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2011, 03:47 PM   #11
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Unabogie View Post
Yeah, that story is indeed jaw-dropping, isn't it?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics