IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia politics , Mal Brough , Peter Slipper , politics scandals

Old 11th October 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Peter Slipper text messages

Here are some of Peter Slipper's text messages

Warning - strong language.

Plibersek evidently tried to hide these from publication; Gillard and Labor defended this bloke! And they accuse others of misogyny. Gillard fails her own tests at every turn.

And just to make the point clear - this makes her a liar to her own principles and standards.

Worst PM in the worst government ever!

Last edited by LashL; 11th October 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 05:16 AM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

All I get is a message saying that the video is not available on mobile.

How about a text version?
Old 12th October 2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Sorry, but I have no idea how to provide that.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 02:32 PM   #4
MG1962

Originally Posted by A.A. Alfie View Post
Sorry, but I have no idea how to provide that.
And given the language used the auto censor would melt down and a warning possibly a ban would result
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Wolrab
Illuminator

Isn't "Peter Slipper" bad enough?

How much peter would Peter Slipper slip if Peter Slipper could slip peter?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Wolrab; 12th October 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Hallo Alfie
Banned

That might be why he is in trouble.
Old 12th October 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
MG1962

That might be why he is in trouble.
Once you read the text you will never look at shell fish the same again
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 09:02 PM   #8
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Isn't "Peter Slipper" bad enough?

How much peter would Peter Slipper slip if Peter Slipper could slip peter?
Obviously, Peter Slipper would slip 'er as much peter as he could slip 'er, if Peter Slipper could slip 'er a peter.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Magenta
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
All I get is a message saying that the video is not available on mobile.

How about a text version?

They're quoted in this article which, obviously, contains language some may find offensive:

Text barrage reveals Slipper’s secrets

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Once you read the text you will never look at shell fish the same again

This made me LOL:

Quote:
Gillard doesn’t care whether every woman in Australia has her feelings hurt by the Speaker’s vicious allegations that they’re packing bivalves in their scanties. Link
Magenta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Hallo Alfie
Banned

On Tuesday night, it emerged during a Senate estimates hearing that the Attorney-General was briefed on June 9 about the hundreds of dubious or distasteful text messages sent by Slipper to his staffer James Ashby.

Four days later, on June 13, Roxon instructed the Solicitor-General to seek to have Ashby's case struck out. She also gave instructions to seek a waiver for the government to be allowed to use the texts to have Ashby sacked.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...#ixzz29aRvWcqa

The shadow attorney-general, Senator George Brandis, told me yesterday: ''These texts, on any view, contain dozens of instances of predatory sexual conduct. So the Attorney-General's claim that this was merely a vexatious case was extraordinary. Any person who read the texts would know instantly that Ashby had a case.

Later she was to say that she would not comment on the Slipper case because it was before the courts.

Very smelly.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:08 PM   #11
Wildy
Adelaidean

Quotes? Links? Evidence?
Old 17th October 2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Legend
Focu Meu!

How about
His actual quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)
An actual argument supporting your claims?
~ RoboTimbo
Legend is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Morrigan
Crone of War

Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 12:54 AM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Petard+own+hoist.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 04:12 AM   #15
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Is Peter Slipper a misogynist?
Old 18th October 2012, 04:23 AM   #16
Legend
Focu Meu!

Dunno. Still waiting for some things: links, context, full quotes, arguments?

Worst misogynist ever.
~ RoboTimbo
Legend is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 04:26 AM   #17
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Thanks in advance.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 04:32 AM   #18
Legend
Focu Meu!

Forgot about that one.
~ RoboTimbo
Old 18th October 2012, 04:50 AM   #19
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Is Peter Slipper a misogynist?
There is probably enough evidence to make a strong case, wouldn't you think? Stronger anyway than some others who have been accused wrongfully of same.
Old 18th October 2012, 04:54 AM   #20
Legend
Focu Meu!

Links? Quotes? Evidence? ***** in brine?
~ RoboTimbo
Old 18th October 2012, 04:56 AM   #21
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Links? Quotes? Evidence? ***** in brine?
No problem, but of what? What claim have I made that you would like me to support here?
Old 18th October 2012, 04:59 AM   #22
Wildy
Adelaidean

That there is a strong case that Peter Slipper is a misogynist. Remember we are looking for:

His actual quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)
Old 18th October 2012, 05:10 AM   #23
Legend
Focu Meu!

Also, that Julia Gillard is a liar.

Don't forget:

Full quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)
~ RoboTimbo
Old 18th October 2012, 05:11 AM   #24
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
That there is a strong case that Peter Slipper is a misogynist. Remember we are looking for:

His actual quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)

And remember that he does have some form.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2012, 01:45 AM   #25
Wildy
Adelaidean

It looks like he doesn't want to answer our questions. I wonder why that could be?
Old 21st October 2012, 01:47 AM   #26
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

It looks like he doesn't want to answer our questions. I wonder why that could be?

<SNIP>

Edited by Locknar:  Edited, breach of rule 12.

Last edited by Locknar; 21st October 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 21st October 2012, 01:53 AM   #27
Hallo Alfie
Banned

I'm awaiting an answer to my post #21. When I have that I may be in a position to respond.
Old 21st October 2012, 02:19 AM   #28
Legend
Focu Meu!

I'm awaiting an answer to my post #21. When I have that I may be in a position to respond.

His actual quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Also, that Julia Gillard is a liar.

Don't forget:

Full quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)
[The quotes you ignored.]
~ RoboTimbo
Old 21st October 2012, 02:40 AM   #29
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Have you read post 21?

But please - show me exactly what claim and where I have made one so I am in a position to respond (re Slipper).

As for Gillard being a liar, there is an entire thread dedicated to that question. Please take your thoughts on her honesty there. Thanks.
Old 21st October 2012, 05:52 AM   #30
Legend
Focu Meu!

Please show me the exact post in which you claim the thing that I'm claiming you claimed and direct me there so that I may reference it for your response.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm gonna go sleep on the hammock. This typing is tiring.
~ RoboTimbo
Old 21st October 2012, 06:51 AM   #31
Wildy
Adelaidean

His actual quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)
See, I already answered your post #21. In case you missed it I've made it nice and clear for you. By the way, those questions still apply.
Old 21st October 2012, 01:26 PM   #32
Hallo Alfie
Banned

You missed much of the sentence - rather dishonest. A sentence that was a question, a supposition, a proposal, postulation. Indeed an offer for others to contribute their thoughts.

It was a long way from a claim and you know it.

But if you are after indications, I would direct you the text messages themselves. Messages, l hasten to add, that I will not post here given their graphic and offensive nature. But please, you post them - go right ahead.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 21st October 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:18 PM   #33
Wildy
Adelaidean

You missed much of the sentence - rather dishonest. A sentence that was a question, a supposition, a proposal, postulation.
It looks like someone found a thesaurus. But then what you're trying to say here is "I didn't make a claim, I'm just asking questions", only you've used a thesaurus. But then you choice of words here very strongly suggest that it is a claim and so you should back it up.

But then to try and shift the burden of proof on to others would mean that your argument is pretty weak to begin with.

Quote:
Indeed an offer for others to contribute their thoughts.
Did I say shift the burden of proof? I meant get someone to prove your claim for you.

Quote:
It was a long way from a claim and you know it.
No it was a claim, despite your efforts to say that it wasn't.

Quote:
But if you are after indications, I would direct you the text messages themselves. Messages, l hasten to add, that I will not post here given their graphic and offensive nature. But please, you post them - go right ahead.
This paragraph does not meet the criteria laid out for providing evidence which was:

His actual quotes (and)
Links to same (and)
Context (and)
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:06 AM   #34
Hallo Alfie
Banned

You are good at redefining words to suit yourself and making other words appear what they are not. Julia would be impressed.
Old 22nd October 2012, 03:43 AM   #35
Wildy
Adelaidean

Prove it.
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:07 AM   #36
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Define "prove" for me, so I have a starting place.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:14 AM   #37
Wildy
Adelaidean

I'd say you're joking here but I know you much better than that. So here you go:

Prove, verb, 1. to establish the truth or genuineness of, as by evidence or argument: to prove one's claim.
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:12 PM   #38
Hallo Alfie
Banned

I'd say you're joking here...
Did you miss the big smiley face? That is usually a giveaway. Much like a question mark at the end of a sentence, which confirms it is a question.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:43 PM   #39
Wildy
Adelaidean

So are you going to prove that I redefined words or not?
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:20 PM   #40
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Whoosh!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics