IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags e-mail scandals , Eric Hothem , hillary clinton , politics scandals

Closed Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 08:47 AM   #1
The Big Dog

clintonemails.com: Who is Eric Hoteham?

According to AP, the computer server that transmitted and received Hillary Clinton's emails — on a private account she exclusively controlled and used exclusively for official business when she was secretary of state — traced back to an Internet service registered to her family's home in Chappaqua.

As for the web master:

Quote:
It was unclear whom Clinton hired to set up or maintain her private email server, which the AP traced to a mysterious identity, Eric Hoteham. That name does not appear in public records databases, campaign contribution records or Internet background searches. Hoteham was listed as the customer at Clinton's $1.7 million home on Old House Lane in Chappaqua in records registering the Internet address for her email server since August 2010.

The Hoteham personality also is associated with a separate email server, presidentclinton.com, and a non-functioning website, wjcoffice.com, all linked to the same residential Internet account as Mrs. Clinton's email server....

Since Clinton effectively retained control over emails in her private account even after she resigned in 2013, the government would have to negotiate with Clinton to turn over messages it can't already retrieve from the inboxes of federal employees she emailed.
So just is Eric Hoteman anyway? maybe he was the guy that helped the Clintons move the boxes of subpoenaed documents that were found in a spare bedroom in the White House?

Last edited by The Big Dog; 4th March 2015 at 09:05 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
The computer server that transmitted and received Hillary Rodham Clinton's emails — on a private account she exclusively controlled and used exclusively for official business when she was secretary of state — traced back to an Internet service registered to her family's home in Chappaqua, New York, according to Internet records reviewed by The Associated Press.

According to AP:

So just is Eric Hoteman anyway? maybe he was the guy that helped the Clintons move the boxes of subpoenaed documents that were found in a spare bedroom in the White House?
Have you been plagiarizing posts from other websites?

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:00 AM   #3
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Have you been plagiarizing posts from other websites?
Yeah, I took that one right from Eric Hoteham's twitter account.

Clinton/Hoteham 2016!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:08 AM   #4
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Cool another the CT in the politics thread.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Crossbow

Yeah, I took that one right from Eric Hoteham's twitter account.

Clinton/Hoteham 2016!
Twitter, eh? If true, then that would be very resourceful of you.

However, I expect that your source is more likely something like this:

http://thenewstalkers.com/forum/topi...Comment1465512

… Who is Eric Hoteman? With all of the APs investigative resources they can't find a trace of who he is. Then there is the issue of Bill Clinton also having access to this server with his own personal email, and another to his what seems to be his office. How convenient if all Hillary had to do when she received important emails was hit CC and Bill get's the same email. There's always been suspicions as to whether Bill is really running the show around here considering we just can't seem to get that guy to go away even though he hasn't been the POTUS for 15 yrs. Has he been the one really pulling Hillary's State Dept duty strings via emails?

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:09 AM   #6
carlitos
"más divertido"

Did I miss a link?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:14 AM   #7
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Did I miss a link?
Your wish is my command:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b78ba...fficial-emails
Old 4th March 2015, 09:15 AM   #8
Crossbow

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
Thanks much.

That is about what I was thinking as well.

Old 4th March 2015, 09:16 AM   #9
The Big Dog

Twitter, eh? If true, then that would be very resourceful of you.

However, I expect that your source is more likely something like this:

http://thenewstalkers.com/forum/topi...Comment1465512

… Who is Eric Hoteman? With all of the APs investigative resources they can't find a trace of who he is. Then there is the issue of Bill Clinton also having access to this server with his own personal email, and another to his what seems to be his office. How convenient if all Hillary had to do when she received important emails was hit CC and Bill get's the same email. There's always been suspicions as to whether Bill is really running the show around here considering we just can't seem to get that guy to go away even though he hasn't been the POTUS for 15 yrs. Has he been the one really pulling Hillary's State Dept duty strings via emails?
No, it was AP. Like I said in the OP.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:17 AM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

So this is coming from an IT guy. Saying that she has her own "private email server" isn't all that impressive. I have a full server in my house that runs a ton of stuff. FTP, email, DHCP, and more, I did it for S's and G's. They aren't hard to setup, and they're even easier to rent from another provider. Anyone here could setup an @firstnamelastname.com email address within about 15 minutes. It's not complex. Registering it is the same as signing an petition online. Put whatever name, moniker or whatever else you'd like as long as the debit\credit card clears. The providers don't do background checks or anything. It would seem that if she or her husband were to register the account under their own names it would be a prime target for hackers, which is very common during our current day. You would have shocked me more if you told me they registered it under their own names.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:17 AM   #11
The Big Dog

Wait, you think that the AP's report is a conspiracy theory and are going to hand wave the facts away?

WOW!

The fallacy of psuedo-refuting labeling in action folks.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 4th March 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:20 AM   #12
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
So this is coming from an IT guy. Saying that she has her own "private email server" isn't all that impressive. I have a full server in my house that runs a ton of stuff. FTP, email, DHCP, and more, I did it for S's and G's. They aren't hard to setup, and they're even easier to rent from another provider. Anyone here could setup an @firstnamelastname.com email address within about 15 minutes. It's not complex. Registering it is the same as signing an petition online. Put whatever name, moniker or whatever else you'd like as long as the debit\credit card clears. The providers don't do background checks or anything. It would seem that if she or her husband were to register the account under their own names it would be a prime target for hackers, which is very common during our current day. You would have shocked me more if you told me they registered it under their own names.
You running the entire State Department out of your house?

Hillary was, even though President Obama's press secretary assured us in 2011 they were using US.GOV accounts.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:23 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Whoever he is, I'm one billion percent certain he's behind the Benghazi coverup.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:25 AM   #14
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Whoever he is, I'm one billion percent certain he's behind the Benghazi coverup.
LOL! You mean the part where Hillary withheld emails from production pursuant to subpoenas?

You are 1 billion percent correct!
Old 4th March 2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Crossbow

LOL! You mean the part where Hillary withheld emails from production pursuant to subpoenas?

You are 1 billion percent correct!
And make sure that you mention how Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster too.

Old 4th March 2015, 09:28 AM   #16
The Big Dog

And make sure that you mention how Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster too.
Yeah, the New York Times and the Associated Press, well known conspiratists.

Old 4th March 2015, 09:30 AM   #17
plague311
Great minds think...

Hillary was, even though President Obama's press secretary assured us in 2011 they were using US.GOV accounts.
There is evidence that they were using US.GOV accounts actually. You realize that when you send an email there isn't just 1 copy, right? They get sent to the recipient which then has it archived on whatever server system they use (if it's setup that way, which the govt openly has said it is setup that way). So while she might have been on a personal email server, any government business would still have been archived on the receivers end.

So....where's the problem?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:33 AM   #18
carlitos
"más divertido"

Thanks for the link.

So just is Eric Hoteman anyway?
Based on the article, I'd say that he was the guy who set up and / or registered this email server.

Quote:
maybe he was the guy that helped the Clintons move the boxes of subpoenaed documents that were found in a spare bedroom in the White House?
This does not follow.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:35 AM   #19
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

HOTEmailrodHAM ? Hotmail account?
Old 4th March 2015, 09:36 AM   #20
Crossbow

Yeah, the New York Times and the Associated Press, well known conspiratists.

Well...

If that is the case, then you go show them who is the boss.

Old 4th March 2015, 09:46 AM   #21
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
There is evidence that they were using US.GOV accounts actually. You realize that when you send an email there isn't just 1 copy, right? They get sent to the recipient which then has it archived on whatever server system they use (if it's setup that way, which the govt openly has said it is setup that way). So while she might have been on a personal email server, any government business would still have been archived on the receivers end.

So....where's the problem?
Well, actually, the emails to people not on government servers would not be archived, now would they.

This is particularly true where Clinton's top aide had a clintonemails.com account, viz: huma@clintonemail.com.

There's a problem.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:47 AM   #22
The Big Dog

Well...

If that is the case, then you go show them who is the boss.

Ummmmm, I'm the one relying on The New York Times and Associated Press....

So.... cool "conspiracy" theory and "bunny."

Last edited by The Big Dog; 4th March 2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:52 AM   #23
Jrrarglblarg

Have you ever used a .gov service of any kind? They suck, completely and totally. If I wanted to keep stuff private no way I'd use a system that requires you to click windows security bypasses to ignore certificate mismatches each and every single time in order to use a system chocked with featurebloat only a bureaucracy could invent.

We used military issued email in the National Guard but with all the hassles (including a requirement to change password every 150 days, requiring 2 uppers two lowers two numbers two symbols and two of whatever you want for a total of ten characters, unique from the last ten passwords you used and don't you dare forget it or your account will be locked) and a cumbersome interface totally unlike anything else on earth except maybe one of the old walled-garden proto internet engines. Nearly all the soldiers I supervised used commercial email. We had to update our contact info every freaking month because the unit couldn't trust soldiers to actually have access to a PC with a CAC reader in order to reset passwords regularly. I had a CAC reader thrust into my hand one month by a senior NCO so I'd go away. Didn't sign for it or anything. Then I had to spend the rest of drill attempting to install the "middleware" to get it working. Ended up having to go to one soldier's house between drills to help him get his CAC working so we could reset his password so he could download the stupid monthly unit newsletter to know what drill requirements were upcoming.

Of all the things to dislike Hillary for (and I'm sure our lists would have at least a few points of overlap) using a private email address on a server she controlled is the least important.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 4th March 2015 at 10:03 AM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 09:53 AM   #24
carlitos
"más divertido"

Well, actually, the emails to people not on government servers would not be archived, now would they.

This is particularly true where Clinton's top aide had a clintonemails.com account, viz: huma@clintonemail.com.

There's a problem.
Well, they were most likely archived, just not on the .gov server.

Might I ask - based on what you are intimating, what government business could Hillary! conduct without emailing people on government servers? Did she issue everyone in State their own account, or would she email them on their state.gov email accounts?

As for Huma - so, she and her aide could theoretically communicate on their own email, outside the gov't server. They could have just as easily spoken in person, which is also outside the gov't server. Point being?
Old 4th March 2015, 09:58 AM   #25
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
Have you ever used a .gov service of any kind? They suck, completely and totally. If I wanted to keep stuff private no way I'd use a system that requires you to click windows security bypasses to ignore certificate mismatches each and every single time in order to use a system chocked with featurebloat only a bureaucracy could invent.

We used military issued email in the National Guard but with all the hassles (including a requirement to change password every 150 days, requiring 2 uppers two lowers two numbers two symbols and two of whatever you want for a total of ten characters, unique from the last ten passwords you used) and a cumbersome interface totally unlike anything else on earth except maybe one of the old walled-garden proto internet engines.

Of all the things to dislike Hillary for (and I'm sure our lists would have at least a few points of overlap) using a private email address on a server she controlled is the least important.
It wasn't that she was just "using" them (after Carney said they were not), she was not turning over the documents, and has still not turned over all the documents.

Therefore, FOIA requests are being disregarded, subpoenas are being violated and investigations are being compromised.

Plus, do you really think anyone believes that she set up her own private server to do all official business on because the interface sucked? Really?
Old 4th March 2015, 10:05 AM   #26
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Might I ask - based on what you are intimating, what government business could Hillary! conduct without emailing people on government servers? Did she issue everyone in State their own account, or would she email them on their state.gov email accounts?

As for Huma - so, she and her aide could theoretically communicate on their own email, outside the gov't server. They could have just as easily spoken in person, which is also outside the gov't server. Point being?
She was the Secretary of State.... her job involves international diplomacy, i.e., people NOT on Government servers. Do I really need to explain this?

They could have just "spoken." That is why Clinton assigned her a clintonemails.com email address.

wowsers.
Old 4th March 2015, 10:39 AM   #27
maxpower1227
Graduate Poster

Easy. He's the guy who shot Vince Foster.
Old 4th March 2015, 11:01 AM   #28
The Big Dog

It wasn't that she was just "using" them (after Carney said they were not), she was not turning over the documents, and has still not turned over all the documents.

Therefore, FOIA requests are being disregarded, subpoenas are being violated and investigations are being compromised.

Plus, do you really think anyone believes that she set up her own private server to do all official business on because the interface sucked? Really?
Here is another detailed New York Times article outlining the number of FOIA requests that have gone unanswered due to clintonemails.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/us...ests.html?_r=0

Freedom of Information Act? Who cares, I was told that this is a conspiracy.

Clinton/Hoteman 2016!
Old 4th March 2015, 11:13 AM   #29
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Wait, you think that the AP's report is a conspiracy theory and are going to hand wave the facts away?

WOW!

The fallacy of psuedo-refuting labeling in action folks.
You should considering reading what you write:
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 11:14 AM   #30
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

According to AP, the computer server that transmitted and received Hillary Clinton's emails — on a private account she exclusively controlled and used exclusively for official business when she was secretary of state — traced back to an Internet service registered to her family's home in Chappaqua.

As for the web master:

I'm glad someone started a thread about this, as I am still confused about many details.

To address your post: Eric Hoteman appears to be HRCs IT guy or similar.
That was easy.

Now, the harder questions - did setting up and using this email server break rules, laws, neither or both ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 11:24 AM   #31
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
On the contrary, this is definitely the most important thing to dislike about Hillary - until the next one comes along. I wonder what it will be? Perhaps she will deliberately fall down again and give herself another concussion, or attack another embassy, or...

Hey, has anyone checked her birth certificate recently?
Old 4th March 2015, 11:27 AM   #32
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I can't wait for the meltdown Republicans will have when Hillary Clinton is elected President of the United States.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 11:28 AM   #33
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
On the contrary, this is definitely the most important thing to dislike about Hillary - until the next one comes along. I wonder what it will be? Perhaps she will deliberately fall down again and give herself another concussion, or attack another embassy, or...

Hey, has anyone checked her birth certificate recently?
Does anyone know if she installed a car lift in her garage?
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 11:36 AM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Not to be stereotypey and all, but isn't Hillary Clinton an old lady? Does she know what a server is, and how email works? My mom is about her age, and her knowledge extends to 'click this to do email, click this to do internet, here are my Facebooks can you put them on my phone for me'.
Old 4th March 2015, 11:39 AM   #35
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
I'm glad someone started a thread about this, as I am still confused about many details.

To address your post: Eric Hoteman appears to be HRCs IT guy or similar.
That was easy.

Now, the harder questions - did setting up and using this email server break rules, laws, neither or both ?
Actually, "Eric Hoteman" appears not to exist.

The New York Times has reported (as cited above) that

"But since 2009, said Laura Diachenko, a National Archives and Records spokeswoman, federal regulations have stated that “agencies that allow employees to send and receive official electronic mail messages using a system not operated by the agency must ensure that federal records sent or received on such systems are preserved in the appropriate agency record-keeping system.”

The rules are designed to ensure a contemporaneous record of government activity is being kept so it will be available to members of Congress, the news media, historians and ordinary citizens."

So there is that, plus as a result, the State Department has not fulfilled its duties under FOIA, and has violated several subpoenas.

eta: she also appeared to disregard Obama's instructions as well, making his spokesman a liar, but that is old news.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 4th March 2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 4th March 2015, 11:48 AM   #36
The Big Dog

You should considering reading what you write:
You should bone up on history:

"her Whitewater billing records from her old practice, the Rose Law Firm, mysteriously went missing for two years, then turned up in a reading room in the third-floor residence at the White House."

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-to-whitewater
Old 4th March 2015, 11:57 AM   #37
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Actually, "Eric Hoteman" appears not to exist.
*shrugs*
Maybe it was a pseudonym. I'm still trying to figure out - why/how does it matter ?

The New York Times has reported (as cited above) that

"But since 2009, said Laura Diachenko, a National Archives and Records spokeswoman, federal regulations have stated that “agencies that allow employees to send and receive official electronic mail messages using a system not operated by the agency must ensure that federal records sent or received on such systems are preserved in the appropriate agency record-keeping system.”

The rules are designed to ensure a contemporaneous record of government activity is being kept so it will be available to members of Congress, the news media, historians and ordinary citizens."

So there is that,
I saw that. What I am asking is where is the evidence that federal records are not being preserved in the "appropriate agency record-keeping system" ?

These "regulations" i.e. rules not laws don't seem very specific to me, as a layperson, so I am trying to figure out the specifics of this supposed transgression, and how bad it it.

It would be nice to see the regulations, not just have a spokesperson say they were broken.

plus as a result, the State Department has not fulfilled its duties under FOIA, and has violated several subpoenas.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/us...ests.html?_r=0
The State Department had not searched the email account of former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton because she had maintained a private account, which shielded it from such searches, department officials acknowledged on Tuesday.

Sounds like she was using following the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

eta: she also appeared to disregard Obama's instructions as well, making his spokesman a liar, but that is old news.
I don't think presidential "instructions" are either rules or laws, so ...
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th March 2015, 12:02 PM   #38
The Big Dog

I saw that. What I am asking is where is the evidence that federal records are not being preserved in the "appropriate agency record-keeping system" ?

These "regulations" i.e. rules not laws don't seem very specific to me, as a layperson, so I am trying to figure out the specifics of this supposed transgression, and how bad it it.

It would be nice to see the regulations, not just have a spokesperson say they were broken.
clintonemails.com is not an appropriate agency record-keeping system. But if you want to see the regulations, go right ahead and take a gander, i have no reason to disbelieve the spokeman, do you?

In any event, let us know what you find out.
Old 4th March 2015, 12:30 PM   #39
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

clintonemails.com is not an appropriate agency record-keeping system.
Did you miss this part ?:
All told, 55,000 pages of emails were given to the department.

But if you want to see the regulations, go right ahead and take a gander, i have no reason to disbelieve the spokeman, do you?
Skepticism seems like a good reason, no ?

In any event, let us know what you find out.
I will.

In the meantime, let us know if you come up with more than some manufactured outrage.
Old 4th March 2015, 12:35 PM   #40
The Big Dog

In the meantime, let us know if you come up with more than some manufactured outrage.

Ok.

Thanks for posting.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics