IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Dennis Hastert , politics scandals , rape charges , sex scandals

Old 2nd June 2015, 11:01 AM   #121
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

This joke by Bush at the Radio and TV Correspondents Dinner has taken on new meaning. I wonder if there was some inside knowledge at the time:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:31 AM   #122
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Come to think of it, even if you were the victim you could be guilty of concealing a crime if you take payment in exchange for silence, couldn't you?
I doubt if the victim even sought payment before the perp attained a high enough level of success that the revelation of past wrongs was worth paying to hush, but I don't think I've ever heard of the police prosecuting someone for not reporting a crime committed against them. If so, there are apparently a lot of rape victims (male and female according to the surveys) who need to be on their guard!
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 01:14 PM   #123
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Being exempt from insider trading laws helps.
Wow. I didn't know that.

If he gave any individual more than $14K a year (or lesser amount in previous years), Hastert should have filed a gift tax return.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2015, 05:59 PM   #124
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It occurs to me that Hastert probably could have set up a contract with the victim/blackmailer/whatever for unspecified "personal services", paid by check, and been perfectly legal. Of course, the other party would have had to pay income tax.

And how come the other party hasn't also been charged with currency violations?
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:33 AM   #125
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
The warrant is served on the bank to obtain their records.
Left bank or Right bank??? Enquirer minds.............
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:12 AM   #126
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

And how come the other party hasn't also been charged with currency violations?
He committed no crime that I can see.
Old 3rd June 2015, 01:05 PM   #127
SezMe
post-pre-born

Accessory after the fact?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2015, 01:37 PM   #128
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Blackmail?

ETA:
Quote:
Sources knowledgeable of the case told ABC News Hastert was paying a man hundreds of thousands of dollars to hide that Hastert had engaged in sexual misconduct with him
I'm not sure if the FBI was using the man to get to Hastert - or if they are using Hastert to get the man.

Last edited by Minoosh; 3rd June 2015 at 01:42 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2015, 02:27 PM   #129
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Blackmail?

As I said above, if the man asked for the money to keep from suing Hastert (as opposed to threatening harm through fear of release of information), then perfectly legal under Federal law. What was said by whom is important to know before saying it looks like crime was committed. I would bet that tax fraud prosecution might be more salient for the other party.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2015, 04:06 PM   #130
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
As I said above, if the man asked for the money to keep from suing Hastert (as opposed to threatening harm through fear of release of information), then perfectly legal under Federal law. What was said by whom is important to know before saying it looks like crime was committed. I would bet that tax fraud prosecution might be more salient for the other party.
Unless he reported it and paid taxes on it. It may have been an IRS audit that let the FBI know that they needed to watch Hastert.

Last edited by Trakar; 3rd June 2015 at 04:08 PM.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2015, 04:24 PM   #131
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Unless he reported it and paid taxes on it. It may have been an IRS audit that let the FBI know that they needed to watch Hastert.

Except that the first thing we learned about this story a few days ago was that it was the bank reporting a pattern of apparently structured withdrawals by Hastert that caused the investigation. So, no.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2015, 04:59 PM   #132
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

In addition to what others have said, if it's illegal to "structure" withdrawls to just under the reporting limit, why isn't illegal to be on the receiving end of those?
Old 3rd June 2015, 05:40 PM   #133
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

In addition to what others have said, if it's illegal to "structure" withdrawls to just under the reporting limit, why isn't illegal to be on the receiving end of those?
There is no associated system to monitor deposits, and it seems logical and reasonable that there shouldn't be. Money deposited in a bank isn't in the individual's possession and an easily obtainable, on suspicion of criminal activity, court order can freeze accounts so that the individual has no access to his monies.
Old 3rd June 2015, 05:43 PM   #134
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Except that the first thing we learned about this story a few days ago was that it was the bank reporting a pattern of apparently structured withdrawals by Hastert that caused the investigation. So, no.
That means that the warning didn't come from IRS, it doesn't mean the individual didn't process his payments legally and legitimately, to include being in full compliance with taxes on those funds.
Old 3rd June 2015, 06:28 PM   #135
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Same way it's illegal for you to make counterfeit goods, but not illegal for me to buy them from you.
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:42 PM   #136
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I would bet that tax fraud prosecution might be more salient for the other party.
I don't think the receiver is required to report gifts - I could be wrong but that burden is on Hastert, not him, and will affect only what Hastert can leave tax-free to heirs.

ETA: Assuming Hastert paid hush money, and the allegations are true, I'm not sure which person I think is sleazier. By default I would say Hastert, even if the other party was 18, because coach in a position of respect etc. But if someone who was silent begins a reign of terror 30 years after the fact ... to get rich ... and so on ... that person doesn't come off very well either.

Last edited by Minoosh; 3rd June 2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 4th June 2015, 02:32 AM   #137
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Elf Grinder 3000 View Post
The interesting point is Mr Hastert has not been charged with a sexual relationship between Teacher Student. He was charged with structuring withdrawals from his bank and lying about it.

His actual crime is not something that should even be prosecuted in a free country.

This is 1984 tactics by the government

They do the same thing with Mom and Pop businesses that withdraw money and get charged. They can't have access to their own money and are forced to prove that they committed no crime. Its asset forfeiture and its not right.
I don't think anyone would want a politician being weakened by blackmail. Leads to all kinds of problems.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2015, 03:36 AM   #138
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That means that the warning didn't come from IRS, it doesn't mean the individual didn't process his payments legally and legitimately, to include being in full compliance with taxes on those funds.
If the funds where a gift for tax purposes, then the receiver is not generally required to pay the tax, but the giver. At least by the IRS website I linked to earlier.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2015, 05:32 AM   #139
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Rumor is Hastert is ill and may not live long enough for a trial. No media verification of that though, so its suspect.

I'm just glad we got THIS pervert into jail before he dies. And I hope it is a slow and hideous death; http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...519-story.html

EDIT: Just like Hastert, that jerk represented my district.

Last edited by BenBurch; 4th June 2015 at 05:33 AM.
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2015, 10:43 AM   #140
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
If the funds where a gift for tax purposes, then the receiver is not generally required to pay the tax, but the giver. At least by the IRS website I linked to earlier.

Yes, intriguing. One way or another, if you move that kind of money around, the IRS wants its cut from somebody. They may be sending one or the other party a bill for back taxes, and not necessarily pressing charges.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:21 AM   #141
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, intriguing. One way or another, if you move that kind of money around, the IRS wants its cut from somebody. They may be sending one or the other party a bill for back taxes, and not necessarily pressing charges.
And I hope they get it! The IRS works for all of us and I dislike anyone who doesn't pay their share of support for the services we all benefit from, either directly or indirectly.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:26 PM   #142
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

As I said above, if the man asked for the money to keep from suing Hastert (as opposed to threatening harm through fear of release of information), then perfectly legal under Federal law.
I'm not sure this is correct if the behavior covers up a crime.

ETA: If Hastert paid taxes on those funds, then no more taxes are owed. It could affect how much of his estate can pass tax-free to his heirs. He did have a reporting requirement. If the other person is charged with blackmail, then those funds or other assets could probably be seized under civil forfeiture (racketeering) laws. Which themselves can be a form of extortion: Give us $2 million and we won't prosecute you. I don't think this would be initiated by the IRS because so far I can see no tax law the receiver broke.

If the other guy isn't charged with anything, there is no mechanism for the IRS to claim taxes are owed. If he's charged with blackmail assets could be seized through RICO statutes, with the money going to law enforcement.

Last edited by Minoosh; 4th June 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:44 PM   #143
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Rumor is Hastert is ill and may not live long enough for a trial.
I have suspected he'll kill himself.
Old 4th June 2015, 01:34 PM   #144
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Is this the principal from Saved by the Bell?
Old 4th June 2015, 07:22 PM   #145
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

But he took an action to evade the law, a law he himself passed, and which he understood the consequences of, and then he lied to federal agents and as somebody who helped impeach Bill Clinton for lying under oath, he also knew he shouldn't be doing that, either.
There is some irony there, isn't there. Was he one of the moral preeners during the Lewinsky scandal and impeachment?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...ndals-31402788

Quote:
Hastert was propelled to the speakership in 1998 on the tumultuous December day on which the House impeached President Bill Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair. During the raucous debate, the presumptive speaker, Bob Livingston of Louisiana, stunned the political world as he announced he would step down over revelations of his own marital infidelities.

Hastert rose from the junior ranks of leadership in large part because he was without controversy, unlike other contenders such as Tom DeLay, R-Texas, the politically toxic driving force behind Clinton's impeachment. Hastert was a behind-the-scenes operative whose political identity came from small-town Illinois, where he was a high school wrestling coach and teacher before serving in the state House and then Congress.
Old 5th June 2015, 06:20 AM   #146
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Is this the principal from Saved by the Bell?
Yes, and the victim is Screech. That annoying little creep deserved it.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 06:22 AM   #147
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...605-story.html

Not only did he molest a kid, but he turned him gay! His fellow right-wing nutters will never forgive him for that.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 08:24 AM   #148
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

So that's two kids he (allegedly) had sex with. Why do I sense a Cosby redux in the wings?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 09:47 AM   #149
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
So that's two kids he (allegedly) had sex with. Why do I sense a Cosby redux in the wings?
I think the count is more than 2, only 1 named..

The fact the sister of the one victim tried to report it earlier gives her a bit more cred.

Quote:
Sadly she tried to expose this 'for decades' and given the perfect opportunity to investigate in 2006 with the Mark Foley scandal, ABC yet again declined to investigate further because 'Hastert denied the charges'.
Daily Kos summary of reports
Quote:
potentially several alleged victims that were not included in Thursday's indictment, BuzzFeed News reported Friday....

Thinly sourced - one anonymous person - but not inconsistent of what we know of pedophiles.
The Chicago Sun Times provides more information, but it's still from that one anonymous source.

LA Times has the source as a "top federal law enforcement official". ...

Hastert had another access to victims: he was a Boy Scout leader for an Explorer post (older boys). Chicago Trib ...

I think the floodgates just moved an inch or two. I expect more victims.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 5th June 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 02:31 PM   #150
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I wonder if he stopped raping boys when he left the high school? Somehow I doubt it.
Old 5th June 2015, 03:48 PM   #151
12AX7
Banned

It must be really tough being a conservative these days.
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 04:13 PM   #152
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by 12AX7 View Post
It must be really tough being a conservative these days.
Lol
He wasn't a conservative and now we see he was into buggering little boys. It would be nice to see get what he deserves.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 04:14 PM   #153
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

You know, there was a story in 2006 which I could not source properly that says he was a regular with DC rent boys.
Old 5th June 2015, 04:15 PM   #154
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol
He wasn't a conservative and now we see he was into buggering little boys. It would be nice to see get what he deserves.
"No true conservative" - he was the DARLING of the Right. Stop making crap up.
Old 5th June 2015, 04:34 PM   #155
logger
Banned

I remember being not very excited about him.

http://congress.freedomworks.org/node/9897/print
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 07:21 PM   #156
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I remember being not very excited about him.

http://congress.freedomworks.org/node/9897/print
Well he was third choice after all, but not for his lack of conservatism. And everybody was bummed out that the buggery and adultery of the previous two had been exposed so he didn't get the warm conservative welcome he should have expected. I'm sure he consoled himself with DC rent boys.
Old 5th June 2015, 07:27 PM   #157
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Well he was third choice after all, but not for his lack of conservatism. And everybody was bummed out that the buggery and adultery of the previous two had been exposed so he didn't get the warm conservative welcome he should have expected. I'm sure he consoled himself with DC rent boys.

He was a complete figurehead. After Newt Gingrich and Bob Livingston flamed out in quick succession, Dick Armey and Tom Delay were left atop the GOP House leadership. Both them realized that they themselves were too odious to front the leadership, and so they drafted a fumbly droopy nobody off the back bench to play Speaker for them. I'd say they were damn lucky not to have Hastert's true self revealed. It would have started to look like a very disturbing pattern.

Last edited by hgc; 5th June 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 5th June 2015, 07:42 PM   #158
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is a fun video to watch: Slate: The Sex Scandals Surrounding Bill Clinton’s Sex Scandal

Good music too.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 08:49 PM   #159
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
But at the same time, it is very blind to NOT recognize that a teacher has an incredible position of power over a puppil. That is why the exception in case an adult has a position of guardianship or power over a teenager.
Sure, I'm not denying that at all and i understand why the "age of consent" is often set higher if one party is in a position of authority. Yet people who should know better don't actually recognize that just because they are in a position of authority doesn't mean that it isn't necessarily abusive. In fact people seem to assume that it must be abusive especially because it's illegal.

I have real problem with that kind of presumptive attitude.

I wonder if he stopped raping boys when he left the high school? Somehow I doubt it.
Where exactly has someone accused him of rape?

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2015, 09:26 PM   #160
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's statutory rape for a teacher to have sex with a student. If you are nitpicking there was only mutual masturbation and no anal penetration, that's a weak argument against statutory rape.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics