IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Dennis Hastert , politics scandals , rape charges , sex scandals

Reply
Old 5th June 2015, 10:05 PM   #161
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is a fun video to watch: Slate: The Sex Scandals Surrounding Bill Clinton’s Sex Scandal

Good music too.
lots of sax and violins!
__________________
Trakar
"By doubting we come to inquiry, and through inquiry we perceive truth." — Peter Abelard
"My civilization can do anything!" - David Brin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i275AvgVvow)
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 05:57 AM   #162
12AX7
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hollywood East
Posts: 10,889
Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
lots of sax and violins!
I see what you did there.

12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 06:07 AM   #163
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 25,141
Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
lots of sax and violins!
Joke of the day, give that man a cigar.
For his mouth.
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 06:12 AM   #164
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by 12AX7 View Post
I see what you did there.

Hey, that's the big dog, tickling the plumbing and even pulling a little bit of sweet out from behind the shed, every now and again!
__________________
Trakar
"By doubting we come to inquiry, and through inquiry we perceive truth." — Peter Abelard
"My civilization can do anything!" - David Brin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i275AvgVvow)
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 07:25 AM   #165
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,465
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Yet people who should know better don't actually recognize that just because they are in a position of authority doesn't mean that it isn't necessarily abusive.
I can't work out this statement.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's statutory rape for a teacher to have sex with a student.
Even if the student is 18?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 07:57 AM   #166
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
... Even if the student is 18?
Hastert was a high school coach. It doesn't look like he only 'massaged' kids once they reached 18.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 09:10 AM   #167
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hastert was a high school coach. It doesn't look like he only 'massaged' kids once they reached 18.
In at least one case the attention was said to last all four years of high school. That would mean that molestation was initiated when the victim was ~14.
__________________
Trakar
"By doubting we come to inquiry, and through inquiry we perceive truth." — Peter Abelard
"My civilization can do anything!" - David Brin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i275AvgVvow)
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 09:39 AM   #168
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's statutory rape for a teacher to have sex with a student.
And if a law says something that makes it so? A teacher having consensual sex with their student is actually completely impossible because the law doesn't acknowledge said consent?
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 10:24 AM   #169
Molinaro
Illuminator
 
Molinaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,747
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
And if a law says something that makes it so? A teacher having consensual sex with their student is actually completely impossible because the law doesn't acknowledge said consent?
It is still a crime, and the crime has a name: statutory rape.
__________________
100% Cannuck!
Molinaro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 10:33 AM   #170
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
And if a law says something that makes it so? A teacher having consensual sex with their student is actually completely impossible because the law doesn't acknowledge said consent?
What makes you think the law is all I'm going by here?

In this case, a coach molesting a kid all through high school, YES, that is statutory rape and all kinds of creepy.

If an 18 yr old high school senior has sex with a sixteen yr old high school Jr or Sophomore, not so much (despite the fact many people here disagree).

Are you defending Hastert's actions, calling it consensual? How do you know how consensual vs manipulative it actually was?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th June 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 10:51 AM   #171
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,758
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Are you defending Hastert's actions, calling it consensual? How do you know how consensual vs manipulative it actually was?
I think his point is that "consensual" and "manipulative" are not antonyms. A sexual act can be both.

Under the law, a minor* cannot give consent to sex. However, in reality, minors can and do give consent to sex. They desire sex. They initiate sex. The go along with sex. They can be manipulated by adults into giving consent for sex, and they can manipulate adults into having sex with them. They do all sorts of sexual things, all of which are consensual. The law doesn't recognize the validity of the consent, but it is still consensual.

For the record, I certainly am not defending Hastert's actions. I doubt Arcade22 is, either. I, for one, am perfectly happy with it being illegal for an adult to have sex with a 15 year old, regardless of the 15 year old's consent.



Reading about this case, I must agree that I find it truly sickening. The acts themselves are bad, but I wouldn't go quite so far as to call the acts sickening.** The hypocrisy, however, is really disgusting to me. The fact that he could lead the charge against Clinton so sanctimoniously, all the while with this in his past, is just incredible.


*Definitions of "minor" vary based on location and circumstance.
** Depending on exactly what really happened.
__________________
Proud of every silver medal I've ever received.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 11:07 AM   #172
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think his point is that "consensual" and "manipulative" are not antonyms. A sexual act can be both.

Under the law, a minor* cannot give consent to sex. However, in reality, minors can and do give consent to sex. ....
You guys are contorting the exchange.


Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I wonder if he stopped raping boys when he left the high school? Somehow I doubt it.
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
... Where exactly has someone accused him of rape?
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's statutory rape for a teacher to have sex with a student. If you are nitpicking there was only mutual masturbation and no anal penetration, that's a weak argument against statutory rape.
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
... Even if the student is 18?
The question being addressed was, had Hastert been accused of rape?

The question was not, debate the morality of a teacher having consensual sex with a student.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 06:07 PM   #173
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
It is still a crime, and the crime has a name: statutory rape.
That's not what benburch said. He said rape not "statutory rape" and when people say rape i assume they mean rape.

But hey who cares since there's apparently no difference between actually raping someone and having consensual sex with them if they are under the age of 18? It's all the same really, at least in America.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 06:09 PM   #174
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
What makes you think the law is all I'm going by here?
Because that's the only thing you mentioned when i asked?

Quote:
In this case, a coach molesting a kid all through high school, YES, that is statutory rape and all kinds of creepy.
I have read this thread and the links posted in it and i haven't seen any reliable article that said he was "molesting a kid all through high school". The closest thing I've read was that he "sexually abused" someone, which evidently includes any and all sexual acts and relationships whatsoever.

So what reliable information made you come to the conclusion that he was "molesting a kid all through high school"?

Quote:
Are you defending Hastert's actions, calling it consensual?
No? Considering the near complete lack of details and specifics in the news articles that i have read i actually know very little about what he actually did other than that it likely happened over an extended period of time and could be termed as "sexual abuse".

Yet again this very idiotic definition of "sexual abuse" includes any and all sexual acts and relationships whatsoever ranging from violent rape to consensual intercourse.

Quote:
How do you know how consensual vs manipulative it actually was?
Again: I don't know. I thought i made that clear a couple of posts ago. Despite my ignorance i see people in this thread who apparently already know that, not only did he "sexually abuse" someone, he specifically "raped" them. You seem to know just how abusive it was so why don't you go ahead and tell me?
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 06:28 PM   #175
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 37,538
If the victim was not legally able to consent, it is rape. Just like it is when consent is coerced.
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 06:30 PM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Hastert has been accused of rape.

It's a simple claim backed by the discussion of his alleged crime as reported by the sister of one of the victims.

That is the extent of the discussion I entered into.

You all can have the broader debate about what is or isn't consent, and what is or isn't rape, and if one defines statutory rape based solely on the fact the law recognizes it or if one actually agrees with the law for reasons other than just the fact it is a law. I'm not biting that one.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 07:30 PM   #177
hgc
Penultimate Amazing
 
hgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 15,892
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
What makes you think the law is all I'm going by here?

In this case, a coach molesting a kid all through high school, YES, that is statutory rape and all kinds of creepy.

These two statements, in succession, are pretty funny.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2015, 07:53 PM   #178
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 43,432
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
And if a law says something that makes it so? A teacher having consensual sex with their student is actually completely impossible because the law doesn't acknowledge said consent?
Yes. That's the law in Western countries. Students get a crush on a teacher, teacher gets to take advantage of them.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 05:48 AM   #179
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
If the victim was not legally able to consent, it is rape. Just like it is when consent is coerced.
Right. Laws determine not only what is and isn't legal they also determine reality itself. Then we come back to the point i made earlier:

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
The same people would almost certainly have no calms about describing any gay sex as "a crime against nature and god" with a good conscience were it criminalized as such.
Now comes the pathetic double standards of how it's "completely different"...
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 05:51 AM   #180
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hastert has been accused of rape.
Yes you and benburch are accusing him in this thread right now despite refusing the give any evidence to back up the allegations.

Quote:
It's a simple claim backed by the discussion of his alleged crime as reported by the sister of one of the victims.
Where exactly did she accuse him of raping her brother? I've read the articles posted in this thread and the article only said:

Quote:
But she also said she believed that relationship had caused irreparable harm.

"He damaged Steve, I think, more than any of us will ever know," she told the morning show.
No actual accusation of rape or even sexual abuse only that the "relationship caused irreparable harm". For all i know her perception of said relationship is highly inaccurate. Considering that the victim is dead and barring any written testimony they left i don't exactly trust her recollection.

Quote:
You all can have the broader debate about what is or isn't consent, and what is or isn't rape, and if one defines statutory rape based solely on the fact the law recognizes it or if one actually agrees with the law for reasons other than just the fact it is a law. I'm not biting that one.
So you can't actually defend your beliefs at all and refuse to justify them. Nice.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Yes. That's the law in Western countries.
Well i guess Sweden isn't included among western countries then...
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 10:29 AM   #181
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,758
This whole exchange is kind of funny. It's a great example of the fallacy of equivocation.

it's very clear that arcade22 is using "rape" to mean "forced sexual activity", and others are using "rape" to mean "sexual activity which is illegal because one part did not, or cannot legally, consent."

Each side understands the other perfectly, and each side knows that neither side is actually incorrect, but it will be interesting to see how long this can go on.

For what it's worth, my guess is that what Denny Hastert did does not satisfy any legal definition of rape, including statutory rape. The reason I say that is that most criminal codes have been revised over the years and the word "rape" has been totally removed from the legal definitions. In the law, it is usually called some variation of "criminal sexual conduct" or "sexual assault". Therefore, sticking precisely to the law, there is nothing called "rape" in a lot of jurisdictions. I don't know if Yorkville, Illinois is one such jurisdiction, either today or at the time of the crimes.

What we can say with certainty is that he is accused of criminal conduct, which would include consensual sex, and that whatever he did, he thought it was worth paying millions of dollars to someone to not let it be known what happened.
__________________
Proud of every silver medal I've ever received.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 10:50 AM   #182
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
So there is indicting and likely indickting involved here - Hastert is definitely ^ the creek........
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 11:21 AM   #183
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Originally Posted by hgc View Post
These two statements, in succession, are pretty funny.
So if there is a law against something there must not be any other reason to agree with it?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 11:41 AM   #184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Yes you and benburch are accusing him in this thread right now despite refusing the give any evidence to back up the allegations.

Where exactly did she accuse him of raping her brother? I've read the articles posted in this thread and the article only said:

No actual accusation of rape or even sexual abuse only that the "relationship caused irreparable harm". For all i know her perception of said relationship is highly inaccurate. Considering that the victim is dead and barring any written testimony they left i don't exactly trust her recollection.

So you can't actually defend your beliefs at all and refuse to justify them. Nice.

Well i guess Sweden isn't included among western countries then...
This is incredibly contorted thinking. What do you think his first sexual encounter was with Hastert meant?

Sister accuses Hastert of a four year relationship with her brother all through high school when Hastert was a coach at the school. Sister says brother told her, his first sex was with Hastert. And what, that's not a direct enough statement for you?

The charge in this thread was, "Hastert has been accused of rape." What do you think the sister was accusing Hastert of?

Chicago Tribune
Quote:
Federal agents also have interviewed a second person who raised similar allegations of sexual abuse against Hastert that corroborated the account of the initial alleged victim, another law enforcement source said after the indictment. The Reinboldt accusation raised the possibility of a third alleged victim.

Reinboldt's sister Jolene Burdge told ABC News that when her brother came out to her as gay, years after his graduation, he told her that he had a yearslong sexual relationship with Hastert during high school.
Is your argument the sister didn't spell out penetration? I really don't get your nit pick here.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 12:13 PM   #185
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,581
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
And if a law says something that makes it so? A teacher having consensual sex with their student is actually completely impossible because the law doesn't acknowledge said consent?
Beside the fact it is a crime (*), the main problem, as said upthread, is that you cannot differentiate whether the teacher is using his position of power or not. So just like age of consent law, where an arbitrary barrier was put at a certain age deemed old enough for the person to decide for herself, an arbitrary barrier was set up to bar persons in potential power over the teenager to have sex with them.

(*) statuatory rape, so any mention of him having sex with an underage person as rape is based on legal statue and correct

Last edited by Aepervius; 7th June 2015 at 12:14 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 02:55 PM   #186
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 37,538
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Right. Laws determine not only what is and isn't legal they also determine reality itself. Then we come back to the point i made earlier:

...
Rape exists only as a law. If you are the sort to want to **** a child, you have put yourself subject to that law. Enjoy!
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 03:47 PM   #187
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is incredibly contorted thinking.
Go ahead and explain what part is "contorted". I beg you.

Quote:
What do you think his first sexual encounter was with Hastert meant?

Sister accuses Hastert of a four year relationship with her brother all through high school when Hastert was a coach at the school. Sister says brother told her, his first sex was with Hastert. And what, that's not a direct enough statement for you?
Oh they had sex and that means he raped him because...? Oh right i forgot that, to Americans, it was actually completely and absolutely impossible for anyone under the age of 18 to consent to sex. Even the notion of having consensual sex with someone under the age of 18 is contradictory.

Quote:
Is your argument the sister didn't spell out penetration? I really don't get your nit pick here.
Of course don't get it because you have already concluded that it must have been rape because a law says any and all sex with someone is rape no matter what.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 7th June 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 03:49 PM   #188
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Rape exists only as a law.
I think that statement says more than enough.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 04:26 PM   #189
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Go ahead and explain what part is "contorted". I beg you.

Oh they had sex and that means he raped him because...? Oh right i forgot that, to Americans, it was actually completely and absolutely impossible for anyone under the age of 18 to consent to sex. Even the notion of having consensual sex with someone under the age of 18 is contradictory.

Of course don't get it because you have already concluded that it must have been rape because a law says any and all sex with someone is rape no matter what.
"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
The Boxer, Paul Simon

You want a debate over what constitutes rape when, the sex appears consensual but because a minor is involved it is defined as non-consensual, and no one is taking your bait.

You want a debate whether an adult having sex with a minor, especially in a situation such as a teacher and a minor student, constitutes non-consensual sex by its very nature, and no one is taking that bait either.

You continue to insist the legality of something is the only supporting argument for what is consensual sex when a minor is involved despite being told by many people here they are using their own definitions of the ability to give consent, not the legal definition of rape in and of itself.

And by the way, do you even know the law in Sweden?

I assume Wiki has this right, they quote the law:
Quote:
The age of consent in Sweden is 15, as specified by the Swedish Penal Code, Chapter 6 (On Sexual Crimes). The age of fifteen is referred to several times, for example in Section 4, which reads: "A person who has sexual intercourse with a child under fifteen years of age or who with such a child carries out another sexual act that, having regard to the nature of the violation and the circumstances in general, is comparable to sexual intercourse, shall be sentenced for rape of a child to imprisonment for at least two and at most six years."
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 07:47 PM   #190
hgc
Penultimate Amazing
 
hgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 15,892
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So if there is a law against something there must not be any other reason to agree with it?
I don't know what you're talking about. I just thought it was funny that you said the law wasn't the only thing you were going by, and in the next line you describe some kinds of situations as definitely constituting statutory rape. You see, "statutory" means enacted in statute by a legislative body, as in defined in the law. By definition, you are precisely concerned with what the law says. Now, maybe you meant to say something other than statutory rape, say, wrongful sexual contact regardless of the law or something like that. I don't know.

And I notice that you use the rolly eyes smiley in response to all my posts. Is it something I said?
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 08:06 PM   #191
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You want a debate over what constitutes rape when, the sex appears consensual but because a minor is involved it is defined as non-consensual, and no one is taking your bait.

You want a debate whether an adult having sex with a minor, especially in a situation such as a teacher and a minor student, constitutes non-consensual sex by its very nature, and no one is taking that bait either.
No i don't. What i want is for you to start supporting your statements with facts like i have been asking you to do. Your continual refusal to do so is getting really tiresome.

Quote:
You continue to insist the legality of something is the only supporting argument for what is consensual sex when a minor is involved despite being told by many people here they are using their own definitions of the ability to give consent, not the legal definition of rape in and of itself.
Where have they explained that? Care to cite their posts cause i haven't seen anyone explain their own special private definitions of what "rape" really is? I haven't seen you do that either.

BenBurch even explained that rape doesn't exist other than as a legal construct. I guess one can presume that his definition of rape coincides with all the different legal definitions of rape that the world has to offer, no matter how inconsistent and contradictory they happen to be.

Quote:
And by the way, do you even know the law in Sweden?
Yes? First of all, that is just a "Brottsrubricering", the title of a crime, and it could be titled "XYZ/512" and it would make no difference.

Second, there's another paragraph that wasn't included that goes like this:

"If an offense referred to in § 4 first or second sub-paragraph is, with respect to the circumstances of the crime, to be regarded as less serious they shall be sentenced for sexual exploitation of a child to imprisonment not exceeding four years." Thus there's not necessarily any insinuation of rape.

And lastly is that in actual legal practice with cases of what you call "statuary rape" the judges often acknowledge in their judgments that the sex that took place was mutually consensual and there's no reason to suspect that the underage individual was unable to consent considering the circumstances. Even if the judges come to those conclusions there's nothing at all that prevents them from sentencing people for "rape of a child" instead of "sexual exploitation of a child" because consent isn't a requisite for sentencing them for that criminal label.

Even the legislators who wrote that law conceded that it would be unfair and unreasonable to sentence people to a minimum of two years in prison (effectively 16 months in prison, usually) if the intercourse was mutually consensual, non-abusive and especially if it was in terms of love. Hence why they included the less serious variation of the same crime.

To reiterate: the crime is to intentionally or negligently have intercourse with someone who is under the age of 15 and despite going under the label of "rape of a child" there's no requirement for rape to have taken place nor are the judges obligated to ignore anything that suggests that the victim consented.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2015, 10:51 PM   #192
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,465
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hastert has been accused of rape.

It's a simple claim backed by the discussion of his alleged crime as reported by the sister of one of the victims.
Yes per latest news stories I agree, but that came out pretty recently. Except for "innocent until proven guilty" thing. That does IMO matter but I don't doubt that it's being reported fairly.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 06:57 AM   #193
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,947
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Beside the fact it is a crime (*), the main problem, as said upthread, is that you cannot differentiate whether the teacher is using his position of power or not.
That's strange considering that Swedish prosecutors have successfully prosecuted teachers for the crime of "sexual exploitation of a dependent person" despite them needing to show that the accused used their position of authority to make the victim engage in or endure a sexual act.

So if it's possible in Sweden why wouldn't it be feasible in America?
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 10:59 AM   #194
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
Originally Posted by hgc View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. I just thought it was funny that you said the law wasn't the only thing you were going by, and in the next line you describe some kinds of situations as definitely constituting statutory rape. You see, "statutory" means enacted in statute by a legislative body, as in defined in the law. By definition, you are precisely concerned with what the law says. Now, maybe you meant to say something other than statutory rape, say, wrongful sexual contact regardless of the law or something like that. I don't know.

And I notice that you use the rolly eyes smiley in response to all my posts. Is it something I said?
Sorry. Your post followed the same line as Arcade22 who assumed when I said, against the law, that it was the sole reason I believed Hastert has been legitimately accused of rape (not saying there's proof, the question was, where has he been accused of rape?).
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 11:03 AM   #195
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,525
I've answered you repeatedly, Arcade22. You just keep ignoring the answer that doesn't fit your tunnel vision of what the exchange is here. I can't make it any simpler for you.

You asked, where has Hastert been accused of rape?

It's been answered numerous times: he's been accused by the sister of the victim and one other witness whose ID is obscured on the video.

The rest of your quibble is claiming that wasn't a rape accusation and most people in this thread disagree with you.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 06:34 PM   #196
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 37,538
I am really appalled that anybody is defending this rapist.
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 07:22 PM   #197
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,758
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
BenBurch even explained that rape doesn't exist other than as a legal construct.
And I pointed out that it doesn't exist even there in most of America.



But I must share others' puzzlement about your point. At first, I thought that your point was that Hastert's actions may have involved consensual sex, as opposed to the ordinary definition of rape. I'm not exactly sure why that's significant, but I can see some people thinking it is.

So that may be true, but even so, what's the bigger point? I mean, other than picking nits, what's the big deal about the distinction between consensual illegal sex and nonconsensual illegal sex? It still means Hastert is in a heap of trouble, and it still means that most people would hear about what he did and still consider him to be pond scum, quite apart from whatever it is the law has to say about his actions.

So, other than arguing semantics, is it really all that important whether Mr. Hastert is accused of rape, or merely of criminal sexual conduct?
__________________
Proud of every silver medal I've ever received.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2015, 08:30 PM   #198
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And I pointed out that it doesn't exist even there in most of America.



But I must share others' puzzlement about your point. At first, I thought that your point was that Hastert's actions may have involved consensual sex, as opposed to the ordinary definition of rape. I'm not exactly sure why that's significant, but I can see some people thinking it is.

So that may be true, but even so, what's the bigger point? I mean, other than picking nits, what's the big deal about the distinction between consensual illegal sex and nonconsensual illegal sex? It still means Hastert is in a heap of trouble, and it still means that most people would hear about what he did and still consider him to be pond scum, quite apart from whatever it is the law has to say about his actions.

So, other than arguing semantics, is it really all that important whether Mr. Hastert is accused of rape, or merely of criminal sexual conduct?
I'm under the impression that consent can only be properly given between individuals that are considered equal and equivalent under the law. This is the reason that individuals under eighteen cannot enter into binding contracts regardless of how much they really want to.
__________________
Trakar
"By doubting we come to inquiry, and through inquiry we perceive truth." — Peter Abelard
"My civilization can do anything!" - David Brin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i275AvgVvow)
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2015, 05:53 AM   #199
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
 
BenBurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Universe 35.2 ms ahead of this one.
Posts: 37,538
Rape is what we legally define as rape. What Hastert did was rape. Hastert is a rapist and a pedophile.

A deeply closeted queer who legislated against those just like him.

And also a patron of DC rent boys.

Nothing wrong with being queer or screwing rent boys, unless of course you are being a hypocrite.
__________________
For what doth it profit a man, to fix one bug, but crash the system?
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2015, 06:03 AM   #200
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10,017
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Rape is what we legally define as rape. What Hastert did was rape. Hastert is a rapist and a pedophile.

A deeply closeted queer who legislated against those just like him.

And also a patron of DC rent boys.

Nothing wrong with being queer or screwing rent boys, unless of course you are being a hypocrite.
A pedophile too? Where did you hear that?
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.