IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , hillary clinton , political predictions , prediction thread

View Poll Results: How great is this thread?
So great! 7 24.14%
The word "great" has lost all meaning. 6 20.69%
Picard, blow up the damn ship! 19 65.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th November 2016, 08:28 AM   #81
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Will you accept a personal check?
Certified only.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 08:44 AM   #82
Bindamel
Graduate Poster

Clinton 318 / 333.

She carries Florida, Arizona and Nevada on the motivated Hispanic vote, NH narrowly on the backs of Massachusetts ex-pats and educated whites, loses the rural Maine elector.

North Carolina will be recount territory, but it will be moot.
Bindamel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:47 AM   #83
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'm with 322-216.
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
+1
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Clinton: 321
Trump: 216

One faithless elector for Evan McMullin.
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It's almost midnight (here) on the 5th.

<>
Hillary Clinton - 323
Donald Trump - 215

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Just to be different

328 Hilary
210 Trump
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I'm going for the optimistic scenario.
Hillary 324
Orangutan 208
McMullin 6
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I'm gonna say Clinton with 323. She gets FL, NV, and even NC. She loses OH and IA.
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Worst case a slim Clinton win by 12 votes (275/263). This is unlikely. More likely is a serious Clinton win by over a hundred EC votes (323 to 215).
Somewhere around 320-something , with 323 the big winner so far.
Old 7th November 2016, 10:51 AM   #84
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not making any predictions, but I just love that the poll attached to this thread has let me vote twice! Picard for the win!
Old 7th November 2016, 06:08 PM   #85
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Electronvolts?

Worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7th November 2016, 06:41 PM   #86
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

I'm with 322-216.
I'm flipping Ohio and ME2. Going to 341-197. Taking a gamble on NC going blue despite attempts at African American disenfranchisement by NCGOP.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:44 PM   #87
Suddenly
No Punting

I have Trump at 231. Flipping NC and other than that 538 chalk.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 08:12 PM   #88
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Here I go.

This has to be the hardest election ever. The support for both candidates is so shallow that almost anything could sway them. That being said, the closing days of the campaign have been good for Hillary. I'm saying the last minute swings are in her favor.

Clinton 337
Trump 211

But I wouldn't be complete shocked at Trump 295, Clinton 243.

ETA: It occurs to me that my prediction adds up to 548. I'm sure that's what I pulled off of CNN's interactive map. The system is rigged!

But I'll revise by assuming I read a 3 as a 2, and will go with 327 to 211.

In 24 hours, I sure hope we will know who will be above 270, and the only thing left will be to figure out who gets the bragging rights for the exact guess.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 7th November 2016 at 08:46 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 08:25 PM   #89
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I'm exercising my Ohio option, as mentioned earlier. There's got to be one that puts the talking heads in a tizzy and I think Clinton takes OH.

My guess, now is

Clinton 341 - Trump 197

(Those betting on the "one faithless elector" should note that we won't know that on election night. That only becomes a vote when the Electoral College votes.)

The final popular vote??? Anyone wanna pick the points. Based on adjusting the negatives (like the bias I believe is in the LA Times sampling and the IBD TIPP call list), I now think we're going to see

Clinton +5.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 08:26 PM   #90
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Popular vote: Hillary +6
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:08 PM   #91
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm going with Clinton with 300, give or take a single digit.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:12 AM   #92
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
LOL, I guess they know their poll is garbage.

Also, exactly the same as my prediction!
I think the LA Times political writers and pundits have always been at odds with the LAT/USC-Dornslife poll partnership. That article is not from the USC people at the Unruh Center who've been running the poll but by the regular staff.
It wasn't the poll that was causing the issue, well it was I guess, but the problem was that it broke down the groups a lot more than other polls, and that resulted in one person having a massive effect in the Millennial Black Males category in such a way that when he was responding to the polls he caused to to way over weight the real support for Trump by young black males. and that skewed the poll toward Trump when he responded.

Most polls would have this effect just once, and then because the respondents change, the next polls would not have that issue, but because the LAT/USC-Dornslife poll retained the same people for each poll, whenever this one guy responded, he would push the results hugely towards Trump.

There is an article in the NYT that explains it a lot better then I do.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:17 AM   #93
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Help an interested foreigner out, please........

Does the Electoral College actually physically gather and vote? If they do, is this in all elections, or only tight ones? Or is the Electoral College a notional body?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:27 AM   #94
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Does the Electoral College actually physically gather and vote? If they do, is this in all elections, or only tight ones? Or is the Electoral College a notional body?
Yes they actually get together and vote in ever election. Though in every modern election the result was clear before they did.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:30 AM   #95
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Sorta, but not really. They get together in their individual states, in an actual meeting (or 51 meetings). I don't know if any states have done away with the physical part. They don't actually meet for about six weeks (it's the first Monday after the second Wednesday of December.... no, I'm not being funny). This year, it will be the latest possible date... 19 Dec.

They then (per my earlier comment) will know if there are any legendary unfaithful electors. It's happened, but never influenced the result in modern times. After the states confirm their votes, they're submitted to Congress where I think they're formally accepted in the first week of January. (Not sure what format that takes.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:32 AM   #96
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Sorta, but not really. They get together in their individual states, in an actual meeting (or 51 meetings). I don't know if any states have done away with the physical part. They don't actually meet for about six weeks (it's the first Monday after the second Wednesday of December.... no, I'm not being funny). This year, it will be the latest possible date... 19 Dec.

They then (per my earlier comment) will know if there are any legendary unfaithful electors. It's happened, but never influenced the result in modern times. After the states confirm their votes, they're submitted to Congress where I think they're formally accepted in the first week of January. (Not sure what format that takes.)
You're right. They meet in their respective states (plus DC) rather than all together.
Old 8th November 2016, 03:33 AM   #97
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Thanks. Sounds like carrier pigeons are involved.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 04:39 AM   #98
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The paper ballots submitted by the electors are counted in the Senate, and the President of the Senate counts them. The President of the Senate is the Vice President of the United States.

In 2000, that meant that Al Gore had to go through the ritual of officially declaring George W. Bush the President-elect.

ETA: In the event of "faithless electors", I don't know if elector ballots are secret. I don't think they are. In most states, I know that they are not. Therefore, there is no mystery about what the count is going to be. It's just a formality that is a holdover from the 18th century.

A word about "faithless electors". Each state has its own laws regarding how electors are required to vote. In some states, there are no restrictions. They vote however they want. In other states, they vote however they want, but not voting in accordance with the certified popular vote is a crime, punishable by fines and/or imprisonment, with the penalty varying from one state to another. In many states, they can vote however they want, but there is a provision in state law that if they cast their ballot in any way other than in accordance with the popular vote of the state, they are immediately replaced, and their vote nullified. Repeat as necessary until someone agrees to vote for the victorious candidate.

In the election of 2000, one elector on Al Gore's slate abstained, so the official vote totals reflect 537 electoral votes instead of the expected value of 538. In the election of 1976, one elector on Gerald Ford's slate cast his vote for Ronald Reagan. This year, one elector on Hillary Clinton's slate in the state of Washington is on record saying he will not vote for Hillary Clinton. The penalty in that state is a $1,000 fine, and he says he'll pay it. I suppose we'll see if he keeps to that pledge. Hillary is certainly going to win that state.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 8th November 2016 at 04:53 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:37 AM   #99
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I'm going to predict:

Clinton - 303
Trump - 235

Nate Silver is giving Clinton 302.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:42 AM   #100
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Most polls would have this effect just once, and then because the respondents change, the next polls would not have that issue, but because the LAT/USC-Dornslife poll retained the same people for each poll, whenever this one guy responded, he would push the results hugely towards Trump.

There are some great things about tracking the same group of people. It captures changing attitudes, perceptions and reactions. It does, however, have the weakness of an unfixable partisan lean.

In all, it's a useful tool when combined with other types of polling.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:44 AM   #101
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

There are some great things about tracking the same group of people. It captures changing attitudes, perceptions and reactions. It does, however, have the weakness of an unfixable partisan lean.

In all, it's a useful tool when combined with other types of polling.
In this particular case they didn't cap the demographic multipliers, so he's worth something like 80 times as much as the other voters.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:02 AM   #102
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I'm exercising my Ohio option, as mentioned earlier. There's got to be one that puts the talking heads in a tizzy and I think Clinton takes OH.

My guess, now is

Clinton 341 - Trump 197

(Those betting on the "one faithless elector" should note that we won't know that on election night. That only becomes a vote when the Electoral College votes.)

The final popular vote??? Anyone wanna pick the points. Based on adjusting the negatives (like the bias I believe is in the LA Times sampling and the IBD TIPP call list), I now think we're going to see

Clinton +5.
Clinton +4
Old 8th November 2016, 12:09 PM   #103
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Jeb Bush: 538
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:17 PM   #104
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Seriously, though, this is my guess...

Hillary Clinton: 292
Donald Trump: 235
Gary Johnson: 5
Evan McMullin: 6
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:36 PM   #105
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Nate Silver is giving Clinton 302.
302.2, even!

Of course that isn't the single most likely electoral distribution, it's just a weighted average. It's the number to pick if you want to get close, but not if you want to be exactly right, and not if you want to be closest.

Implicitly, I think the game here is to get closest, because that's what people remember after the fact.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 01:11 PM   #106
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Clinton 308 Trump 230

If I had stayed off the internet, I'd probably have predicted Clinton to reach 360 or more.

Even here in the OC, which is known as the Orange Curtain of Republicans, the Presidential vote is sure to go to Clinton this time. It's been 80 years since a Democrat won this county.

Fun fact: Orange County is currently 44%R-32%D and has a higher population than 20 US states ---> at 3.2m, a little more than Iowa. I wanted to see how many electoral votes are represented here even though CA is winner-take-all.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 01:31 PM   #107
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Clinton 308 Trump 230

If I had stayed off the internet, I'd probably have predicted Clinton to reach 360 or more.

Even here in the OC, which is known as the Orange Curtain of Republicans, the Presidential vote is sure to go to Clinton this time. It's been 80 years since a Democrat won this county.

Fun fact: Orange County is currently 44%R-32%D and has a higher population than 20 US states ---> at 3.2m, a little more than Iowa. I wanted to see how many electoral votes are represented here even though CA is winner-take-all.
It's also a county whose most famous resident is a rodent.
Old 8th November 2016, 02:05 PM   #108
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's also a county whose most famous resident is a rodent.
Did you do that on purpose?

Two famous residents of Orange County: Mickey Mouse, and Richard Nixon.
Old 8th November 2016, 04:22 PM   #109
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Did you do that on purpose?

Two famous residents of Orange County: Mickey Mouse, and Richard Nixon.
No, but your spoiler is awesome!

Many years ago, while temporarily working in the LA area, I heard a sports reporter on the radio whining about coach Chuck Knox going to the Seahawks, instead of the Rams. He said the Hawks were "a Micky Mouse team in a Micky Mouse town." I pretty much chortled, since the Hawks had a much better record the previous year and the Rams played in Anaheim.
Old 9th November 2016, 03:38 AM   #110
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

So who won? Skeptic Tank? I was close for a non-Hillary win, although technically Shemp was closer.

My feeling is: nobody won. nobody.
Old 9th November 2016, 04:18 AM   #111
applecorped
Banned

I think that's damned impressive for a candidate that is only going to win one demographic group: white men.

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:00 AM   #112
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
You haven't seen the demographic breakdowns, I take it? Trump lost among women, black, Latino, Asian, and "other" demographics. He won big among white men only, and white without a college degree.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:05 AM   #113
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
You haven't seen the demographic breakdowns, I take it? Trump lost among women, black, Latino, Asian, and "other" demographics. He won big among white men only, and white without a college degree.
Uneducated, born-again, older, rich white men, apparently.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:35 AM   #114
Loss Leader

Well, that was ... horrible.

L. Leader
Old 9th November 2016, 06:38 AM   #115
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Funny thread.

My guess, now is

Clinton 341 - Trump 197

Clinton +5.

I think you owe us a name change. Foolmetwice, how does that sound?
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:39 AM   #116
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
All groups will do much better under him. The dems have been very successful in dividing groups but now they have very little power. Take power from the corrrupt and let the healing begin.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:40 AM   #117
logger
Banned

Well, that was ... horrible.
The most incredible victory and upset I've ever seen in politics, how sweet it is!!!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:41 AM   #118
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
All groups will do much better under him. The dems have been very successful in dividing groups but now they have very little power. Take power from the corrrupt and let the healing begin.
I remain amazed that anyone can think Trump is not corrupt.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:42 AM   #119
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Clinton: 258
Trump: 280
Looks like I had insufficient faith in ze Trumpenfuhrer!
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:44 AM   #120
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by logger View Post
All groups will do much better under him.
Including the people whom he wants to kick out of the country?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics