IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags FBI issues , James Comey , political predictions , political speculation

View Poll Results: Will FBI Director Comey:
resign after the election 16 41.03%
be fired by Obama 5 12.82%
be fired by Clinton 4 10.26%
stay on the job as a whipped little bitch 7 17.95%
on planet X, Comey is the new president 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 7th November 2016, 05:12 PM   #81
Civet
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,657
I've generally been trying to avoid making too many personal judgments about Comey's character, but I do believe strongly that law enforcement needs to maintain public confidence. I don't see that as a purely superficial thing, I think it actually affects the ability of law enforcement to serve its vital function in society.
Since Comey has lost the confidence of much of the public at this point, I think it best for him to make a dignified exit.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 05:55 PM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,826
Agreed. He needs to go. Nobody trusts him now.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:41 PM   #83
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,465
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
In another thread this same suggestion elicited the response that the media will institute a witch-hunt against Comey to get him removed from position because the media thinks it has been "had".
It sounds vaguely like one of my posts. I wasn't envisioning a witch-hunt against Comey but a backlash from reporters who belatedly realize that they were getting leaked information from unreliable sources. People like Bret Baier. Whether he and his ilk have the CPU power to understand how they've been played is questionable.

If he loses his job, big deal. He'll survive. He's not a "dead man." He could be kept on as a show of bipartisanship or be quietly encouraged to split. It can't feel good for him to know that people under his command attempted end-runs around his relatively straightforward communications with Congress. Putting their faith in the likes of Rudy Giuliani. Good God.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:45 PM   #84
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 32,426
Snopes has a story up about a Trump sign in front of Comey's house. It's not clear if he still lives there, or who planted the sign. But the key thing I see is that he bought the really expensive house when he went to work for a hedge fund. Screw hedge funds. Screw Comey. What's he doing at the FBI in the first place?
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:59 PM   #85
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
He knows more about ISIS than the generals do. Believe him. He has a very good brain.
He keeps it in a jar in his desk.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 07:05 PM   #86
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No they don't. In every single state, parents can give up babies for adoption. Neither party is trying to change that.
Yes they can, but they should not be forced to. No matter what is claimed it is quite possible for the child given for adoption may eventually want to find the birth parents. If they do not wish that, it should not be able to happen. Abortion makes sure that does not occur. Abortion should always be a valid and acceptable action for a woman to take IF SHE CHOOSES TO!!!!!
Never forced to do it, never forced not to do it, her choice period.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 07:13 PM   #87
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,465
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Snopes has a story up about a Trump sign in front of Comey's house. It's not clear if he still lives there, or who planted the sign. But the key thing I see is that he bought the really expensive house when he went to work for a hedge fund. Screw hedge funds. Screw Comey. What's he doing at the FBI in the first place?
He's a longstanding bureaucrat with the right sort of credentials to be considered for the job of director of the FBI.

James Comey

Bureaucrats are like anyone else, subject to the Peter Principle. Someone has to be director of the FBI. We want people of sterling character who are competent administrators and whose goal in life is punish bad people. You don't rise to the level of consideration for such jobs without a record in government service and apparently he's been on the side of the angels a few times. It's not really his fault that Hillary screwed up so royally.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 07:18 PM   #88
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Is it my imagination or were people here singing his praises a while back when he recommended no charges for Clinton?

Ranb
I don't remember anyone singing his praises over that, but I do know that he has done a few very important and much discussed things since then. Perhaps you've not been keeping up with the news lately?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 07:27 PM   #89
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,754
I had to vote "other" because I think he'll resign at the end of Obama's term, not right after the election.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 07:36 PM   #90
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,276
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I had to vote "other" because I think he'll resign at the end of Obama's term, not right after the election.
It only says "after the election" , not specifically when after
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 07:40 PM   #91
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 49,582
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
To give himself a semblance of impartiality? In the meantime, the damage has been done.
And what good is that semblance of impartiality? Democrats hate him anyways, and the damage is significantly less that it might have been, making it more likely that Democrats will be in a position to extract revenge. So it still doesn't make any sense, if hurting Hillary was the goal.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:42 AM   #92
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You said Trump has no positions. That was a ridiculous claim, which I disproved. And yet, you want to cling to it. Why?
Because he has no positions. That his website tries to cover that up doesn't change that fact.

Quote:
Wrong again. I've pointed specifically to two numbers already (violent crime rate and labor participation rate). The reason I'm not obsessing about them is because my position isn't simply an inverse of yours. I'm not claiming everything is terrible like you're claiming everything is great.
I never claimed that everything is great. Why do you continue to engage in these strawmen?

Quote:
I know exactly what you said.
Then stop playing games.

Quote:
Let's go back and see:
And as you can see, I never said it wasn't important. You QUOTED me saying something different than you claim. Are you willing to retract your accusation?

Quote:
Note that I described no policy response to terrorism. Neither did you in this response. You only introduced the policy objection later, as part of your subsequent goalpost move. But it played no part in your initial goalpost placement, which was absolutely about its lack of importance. So no, I didn't lie at all.
Again, there was no goalpost move. Your lack of understanding doesn't constitute a goalpost move.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 04:48 AM   #93
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,411
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...mocrats-230893

When the leadership of both parties turns on you, you are toast.
What's assume for a moment this was politically motivated and not just CYA (Cover Your A--) gone horribly wrong: The Dems hates your guts,and the GOP thinks you handled it incredibly ineptly.
I also doubt it would take much Political Capital of fire Comey;I doubt the GOP is in much of a mood to defend him.
And he serves at the President's pleasure;FBI chief has to be approved by Congress but ,like cabinent post,the President can fire him whenever he pleases.
Meh, GOP politicians (with a few notable exceptions) have demonstrated again and again that they will do anything to support a fellow Republican and/or undermine someone from the Democratic Party. Look at the way that Cruz, McCain and the rest came back to the Trump fold repeatedly even after everything Trump said or did.

Wind the clock forward a few weeks and any attempt to dispose of Comey by a Democratic Party President will be cast as the most outrageous piece of partisanship and unwarranted revenge-seeking ever - by the same group of people who are currently not rushing to his defence now.

It costs the GOP nothing politically to defend him and it gives them a convenient stick to beat the Democratic Party with, a way of keeping Hillary's e-mails in the public eye (the truth does not matter any more, she is tainted in this regard by sheet repetition) and the germ of an idea to impeach should she become President.

After all, if they want to impeach her over the emails then what better evidence for her wrongdoings than the politically motivated "execution" of a diligent public servant whose only concern was keeping the U.S. safe (or at least that's how it will be spun once the public have forgotten what actually happened).
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 06:36 AM   #94
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 49,582
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Because he has no positions. That his website tries to cover that up doesn't change that fact.
If you're simply going to deny evidence, what's the point?

Quote:
I never claimed that everything is great. Why do you continue to engage in these strawmen?
You are in no position to accuse me of straw men, given how constantly you do it to me.

Quote:
And as you can see, I never said it wasn't important.
You didn't use those words, but that was the clear meaning.

Quote:
Again, there was no goalpost move. Your lack of understanding doesn't constitute a goalpost move.
I understood perfectly well. You're just trying to make excuses for your own failure.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:00 AM   #95
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
If you're simply going to deny evidence, what's the point?
I'm not denying the evidence. I'm saying that the evidence provided doesn't support your case.

Quote:
You are in no position to accuse me of straw men, given how constantly you do it to me.
Tu quoque.

Quote:
You didn't use those words, but that was the clear meaning.
This sounds like a license to interpret my words as you see fit. I write X, you pretend that I really meant Y despite my objection and the evidence in front of you. If you're simply going to deny evidence, what's the point?

Quote:
You're just trying to make excuses for your own failure.
I've already explained to you why your interpretation was wrong. You're doing exactly what you are accusing me of doing.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:53 AM   #96
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,411
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It sounds vaguely like one of my posts. I wasn't envisioning a witch-hunt against Comey but a backlash from reporters who belatedly realize that they were getting leaked information from unreliable sources. People like Bret Baier. Whether he and his ilk have the CPU power to understand how they've been played is questionable.
One of my points is that it doesn't matter whether they've been played or not as long as the story has attracted eyeballs to the media outlet - because that's all that really matters. The news is just another part of the entertainment media and as such is under an obligation to generate a profit.

There may be some market for genuinely unbiased news but by and large, these days people want news that confirms their own views and prejudices.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:56 AM   #97
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,411
I'm surprised that anyone who has actually kept up with the campaign thinks that Trump has a coherent set of policies. Apart from "building a wall and making Mexico pay for it", every policy pronouncement he has made has been contradicted, sometimes in the same sentence.

Even the one constant, "building a wall and making Mexico pay for it" has been subject to refinement, not all of it may be a wall and instead. Mexico may be sent an invoice.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:53 AM   #98
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,276
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
If he wanted to influence the election, why not wait until after Tuesday to announce that nothing changed? It's not like he doesn't have a good excuse on hand, namely that it takes a lot of time to sort through that many emails.
I think, perhaps, in both instances he was trying to get out ahead of potential leaks.

I'm not sure I believe he was trying to influence the election as much as keep the appearance of control within his organization.

That being said - if we want to go all CT, then what he did may have been with thought of Dems win the presidency (because trump), but lose the senate. And I think his letter(s) may have had that effect, tone down support for Clinton enough that she has no coattails.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 10:01 AM   #99
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 49,582
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'm not denying the evidence. I'm saying that the evidence provided doesn't support your case.
Because reasons.

Quote:
This sounds like a license to interpret my words as you see fit.
I get to interpret them as the words themselves mean. You aren't Humpty Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland. Words have meaning.

Quote:
If you're simply going to deny evidence, what's the point?
Oh, the irony.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 10:22 AM   #100
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Because reasons.
Yes, reasons I've already explained.

Quote:
I get to interpret them as the words themselves mean.
You lie. You said youself that I didn't use the words and that you had to interpret the meaning. Now you're pretending that it meant that all along. Stop lying.

Quote:
Oh, the irony.
Yes, irony was the whole point of my comment: you are engaged in the exact behaviour you decry from others. Beam in your eye and all that.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:40 AM   #101
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 49,582
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, reasons I've already explained.
Reasons which amount to nothing more than arbitrary declarations.

Quote:
You lie. You said youself that I didn't use the words and that you had to interpret the meaning. Now you're pretending that it meant that all along. Stop lying.
There's a reason I didn't use quotation marks, because I never meant it as a direct quotation. You paraphrase too, and have done so in this very thread. Everybody does, and there's nothing wrong with it. And you ALWAYS have to interpret meaning when reading. If you don't, you're doing it wrong.

Although, on second thought, that would explain a lot....

Quote:
Yes, irony was the whole point of my comment: you are engaged in the exact behaviour you decry from others. Beam in your eye and all that.
That's funny, coming from you.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:44 AM   #102
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Reasons which amount to nothing more than arbitrary declarations.
Seems like you have no counter-argument at all.

Quote:
There's a reason I didn't use quotation marks, because I never meant it as a direct quotation.
Face it: your interpretation was wrong. Move on.

Quote:
That's funny, coming from you.
You do realise that since I've just told you that you accuse others of doing what you're doing, flipping around again simply proves my point, right?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:57 AM   #103
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 49,582
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Seems like you have no counter-argument at all.
And it also seemed to you like I was "selectively accepting numbers" (oh, look, I used quotation marks! Guess what that means?). What things seem like to you has little connection to what things are.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:58 AM   #104
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And it also seemed to you like I was "selectively accepting numbers" (oh, look, I used quotation marks! Guess what that means?). What things seem like to you has little connection to what things are.
Still not seeing an argument from you.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:15 PM   #105
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 49,582
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Still not seeing an argument from you.
I can lead a horse to water....
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:24 PM   #106
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I can lead a horse to water....
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:53 PM   #107
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 32,426
Trump has positions. Great positions! Missionary, Doggy, Cowboy....
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 05:47 PM   #108
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump has positions. Great positions! Missionary, Doggy, Cowboy....
Bent over and spreadin' 'em!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 12:17 AM   #109
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 43,449
Comey gets to keep his job and is expecting a big bonus.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 02:43 AM   #110
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,411
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Comey gets to keep his job and is expecting a big bonus.
...and the FBI increasingly acts as an extension of the GOP carrying out investigations into political opponents of the GOP at the behest of the party.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 03:02 AM   #111
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,950
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
...and the FBI increasingly acts as an extension of the GOP carrying out investigations into political opponents of the GOP at the behest of the party.
Well, you can't spell Gestapo without GOP

Do you really think the FBI is going to let itself be used in that way, by one party?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:03 AM   #112
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,411
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Well, you can't spell Gestapo without GOP

Do you really think the FBI is going to let itself be used in that way, by one party?
Well it's more a case of the way in which the sympathies of a large number of senior FBI officers align, politically conservative (as evidenced by the eMail revelation and Twitter leaks) and looking out for the interests of the FBI.

With a Republican President, House and Senate, funding for the FBI is secure and so any requests to investigate people on the other side of the political divide will likely be well received and pursued vigorously - as long as the requests are not illegal. It's also likely that much will be made of people being investigated, anything that hints towards guilt or malfeasance will find its way leaked into the press while the final report exonerating the person will come in a much more low key announcement.

All of the above IMO
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:19 AM   #113
Degeneve
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 891
I am wondering why the Americans still bother to organise elections. Would it not be much easier and clearer to let the director of the FBI decide who will be the next President of the USA?

Last edited by Degeneve; 9th November 2016 at 05:12 AM.
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:27 AM   #114
applecorped
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,145
the grapes, they are sour
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:28 AM   #115
applecorped
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20,145
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Bent over and spreadin' 'em!!!!!
how was it?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:32 AM   #116
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,411
Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
I am wondering why the Americans still bother to organise élections. Would it not be much easier and clearer to let the director of the FBI decide who will be the next President of the USA?
It's hardly surprising if some groups are better disposed to one party than another. Law enforcement, military, border control and the like prefer the GOP, those involved in welfare, human rights and science would prefer the Democratic Party.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 07:48 AM   #117
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,949
Or maybe Comey just 'pardoned' Hillary?

Say there was a smoking gun in the emails just discovered. Intentionally bad search makes the evidence inadmissible. Comey's "ooops" lets Hillary walk. Trump will replace him.
__________________
Any sufficiently advanced idea is indistinguishable from idiocy to those who don't actually understanding the concept.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 08:58 AM   #118
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,276
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Or maybe Comey just 'pardoned' Hillary?

Say there was a smoking gun in the emails just discovered. Intentionally bad search makes the evidence inadmissible. Comey's "ooops" lets Hillary walk. Trump will replace him.
Why would we say that with ZERO evidence ?

That being said, IDK comeys fate at this point.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:00 AM   #119
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,467
Looks like he will be able to keep his job.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:17 PM   #120
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
how was it?
I don't know - that's a republicker thing. They do seem to like it though!!! Possibly like a secret handshake.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.