IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , political predictions , political speculation , presidential candidates

View Poll Results: Will Donald Trump give a concession speech?
No 25 39.68%
Yes 16 25.40%
No, because he will win 11 17.46%
On Planet X, he will be the true winner, but the election was rigged against him 11 17.46%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th November 2016, 01:36 AM   #1
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Will Donald Trump give a concession speech?

By this I mean he acknowledges that he lost fair and square. I say almost certainly not.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 8th November 2016 at 01:37 AM.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 01:49 AM   #2
Civet
Graduate Poster

I'll be astonished if he does. But I really hope he does simply because it might discourage any of his less stable followers from doing something stupid and tragic.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 01:49 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

In the event that Donald Trump does not win then no doubt there will be some kind of speech. IMO that speech will contain:
  • Allegations of widespread vote rigging and election fraud - these will be tacitly supported by the GOP in general. They won't come out in support of these comments but they will not disown them either.
  • Claims that Trump will successfully challenge the result in several states, some of which Hillary won handsomely - most or all of these will come to nothing, it's empty bluster
  • Suggestions that "Some people are saying, I don't know" that people should take up arms to stop the election being stolen from them. This will be carefully worded to stop well short of sedition. The GOP will not support these calls but they will only condemn them in the most mealy-mouthed way
  • Calls for impeachment proceedings to begin against Hillary - these calls will be echoed by several senior GOP personalities
  • Further wild allegations concerning Hillary's "Crookedness" all couched in "a lot of people are saying" type language

Trump will go to his deathbed convinced that he really did win the election and that it was stolen from him. The GOP will use his comments to undermine the legitimacy of Hillary's Presidency. They will also use it as a means to enact a broad range of voter suppression legislation aimed at excluding minority voters.

All of this will happen because numbers of GOP supporters, and Trump in particular are ********
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 02:45 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think The Don is spot-on.

Trump will vow to bring down Clinton, promise use his wealth to hire investigators to send her to prison but actually do nothing except to chime in every time impeachment is discussed.
Old 8th November 2016, 02:49 AM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Is it too much to hope for that he completely snaps, declares himself the winner and then refuses to acknowledge otherwise? He can lock himself in Trump Tower and broadcast on his Facebook station as to what's really going on with the country and what he and his cabinet (all curiously named Trump) have done that day.

In short - he crosses over to Time Cube territory.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 03:42 AM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Smart money is on spontaneous human combustion triggered by a burst of petulance so intense astronomers detect it as a new radio galaxy.
Old 8th November 2016, 04:06 AM   #7
sts60
Illuminator

This is hardly original with me, but I'm going to vote "yes": Trump can't stand being a loser, so when he is beaten badly - I predict the first large network will call the election by 8:45 Eatern tonight - he will flip into "safe mode" and basically pretend the whole thing was no big deal; and he'll make what for him is a gracious concession, with only a hunt of the rigged-conspiracy talk (that he'll return to within a week). It will be his ego's way of protecting itself.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 04:32 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
It will be his ego's way of protecting itself.
I thought his kind protected their ego by emitting layer after layer of viscous slime in an attempt to slip out of the clutches of predators.
Old 8th November 2016, 04:35 AM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Donald will complain that the election was rigged, which will cause his most fervent supporters to spill blood.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 04:39 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Donald will complain that the election was rigged, which will cause his most fervent supporters to spill blood.
From their "wherevers"?
Old 8th November 2016, 04:48 AM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think he gives a nonspecific "call to arms" to take the country back. He'll stop just short of calling for armed insurrection but his cult will follow the dog whistle.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 04:51 AM   #12
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think he gives a nonspecific "call to arms" to take the country back. He'll stop just short of calling for armed insurrection but his cult will follow the dog whistle.
I agree. He knows his supporters are deplorable enough to be violent.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 05:20 AM   #13
baron

A wild-eyed Trump supporter was interviewed for Sky (I think) this morning. She said that if Trump loses, well-armed people would gather and 'move on' the White House. In the silence that followed this announcement the skin of her face tightened and her pupils dilated with a worrying darkness.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 05:24 AM   #14
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

My guess is that he will politely concede. I say this because he seems to have a tendency to fake in one direction and then move in the opposite direction.

Feel free to mock me yet again if I'm wrong on this.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 05:52 AM   #15
NoahFence
Banned

He will give a concession speech of sorts. He'll admit he lost the rigged election, but go on to claim overall victory because he won the hearts and minds of white uneducated America.

He'll make a "major" announcement of what comes next. Trump TV, lawsuits aplenty, that sort of stuff. Very little will be about Clinton and none of it will be about healing America from what he's done to it.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 05:54 AM   #16
NoahFence
Banned

This is hardly original with me, but I'm going to vote "yes": Trump can't stand being a loser, so when he is beaten badly - I predict the first large network will call the election by 8:45 Eatern tonight - he will flip into "safe mode" and basically pretend the whole thing was no big deal; and he'll make what for him is a gracious concession, with only a hunt of the rigged-conspiracy talk (that he'll return to within a week). It will be his ego's way of protecting itself.
You think they'll call the election hours before the polls close on the West Coast? I hope not.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 06:02 AM   #17
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Something like that, yeah. He'll make the concession speech about himself (he's "going back to a nice life, a very nice life") and throw in some hook about an impending announcement of something huge. That will eventually turn out to be TrumpTV, where he can go full retard.
Old 8th November 2016, 06:13 AM   #18
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

My answer (arrived at immediately upon seeing the thread title) is yes, if it's clearly a loss, he will offer a fairly muted concession. He's got some grace to call on in there somewhere.
Old 8th November 2016, 06:17 AM   #19
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Is it too much to hope for that he completely snaps, declares himself the winner and then refuses to acknowledge otherwise? He can lock himself in Trump Tower and broadcast on his Facebook station as to what's really going on with the country and what he and his cabinet (all curiously named Trump) have done that day.

At least one will be named John Miller...
Old 8th November 2016, 06:17 AM   #20
Aardvark422
Muse

I voted No but I think he might give a weak, mealy mouthed concession speech at first but then when in the comfort of his gilded rooms he'll start tweeting about Rigged! and Robbed! He's a standard middle school bully who caves in the face of actual opposition but puffs himself up later to his toadies.
Aardvark422 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:23 AM   #21
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

with only a hunt of the rigged-conspiracy talk (that he'll return to within a week). It will be his ego's way of protecting itself.
I am assuming you mean a hint of the rigged conspiracy talk.

The problem with that theory is that Trump doesn't know how to hint at something. He is either full force in one direction or full force in the other direction. And personalities like that are not a problem when the person who has that personality knows he has that personality. However, Trump's smugness leads him to believe that he can drop subtle hints that his followers will understand and that liberals and reporters will not notice (or at least not be able to use in order to nail him against the wall). That, of course, is one trait that bullies, jack-asses, and Trump have in common
Old 8th November 2016, 07:35 AM   #22
Jrrarglblarg

I make the same analysis. But then, I've been wrong all along. So I predict he loses then shoots Rudy Giuliani in the middle of Fifth Avenue during his concession.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 8th November 2016 at 07:36 AM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:53 AM   #23
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
You think they'll call the election hours before the polls close on the West Coast? I hope not.
Yeah, you're right. That doesn't make too much sense. I'm going to move it back (edit) an hour or two, but my prediction (worth the electrons it's typed on) is that the first major TV news organization will call it before the West Coast polls close.

Last edited by sts60; 8th November 2016 at 07:56 AM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:54 AM   #24
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I still think he's going to win. So.. no.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:55 AM   #25
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I am assuming you mean a hint of the rigged conspiracy talk.

The problem with that theory is that Trump doesn't know how to hint at something. He is either full force in one direction or full force in the other direction. And personalities like that are not a problem when the person who has that personality knows he has that personality. However, Trump's smugness leads him to believe that he can drop subtle hints that his followers will understand and that liberals and reporters will not notice (or at least not be able to use in order to nail him against the wall). That, of course, is one trait that bullies, jack-asses, and Trump have in common
"Hint", yes. By Trump standards. But the idea is that he won't be too heavy on this because that brings him too close to acknowledging it really mattered.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:17 AM   #26
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

the title of the thread (but at least the poll addresses it) seems to be to be verging on 'tempting the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing'....

actually, on reflection, there's a good chance he hasn't had one written, so he's the one tempting the wrath...

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate

Last edited by DreadNiK; 8th November 2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: actually...
DreadNiK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 08:55 AM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

I think that's probably the most likely outcome. And he's been pretty close to Time Cube territory for a long time.
Old 8th November 2016, 09:12 AM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think that's probably the most likely outcome. And he's been pretty close to Time Cube territory for a long time.
But it's a great cube, the best cube, people say it's the best cube, why can't we have more of it. He'll build a cube, a great cube, that will be great and make America great and be just the best.
Old 8th November 2016, 09:30 AM   #29
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

I think Trump's people will let the news networks that he is going to make a concession speech. He will then use the air time to pitch his new news network: Trump TV while claiming that the mainstream liberal crooked hillary media can't be trusted anymore, so he'll bring the best truthiness to all with his new network.

I'm pretty sure this was his plan the day he announced his candidacy for the nomination.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 09:55 AM   #30
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
I think Trump's people will let the news networks that he is going to make a concession speech. He will then use the air time to pitch his new news network: Trump TV while claiming that the mainstream liberal crooked hillary media can't be trusted anymore, so he'll bring the best truthiness to all with his new network.

I'm pretty sure this was his plan the day he announced his candidacy for the nomination.
That sounds very likely
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 10:56 AM   #31
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Trump has essentially already given his concession speech.

He has been bitching and complaining for weeks now about all of the time and money that he has wasted.

Therefore, I expect his actual concession speech will be more of the same.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 10:59 AM   #32
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I'll be astonished if he does. But I really hope he does simply because it might discourage any of his less stable followers from doing something stupid and tragic.
As long as the stupid and tragic only hurts them (self immolation, eating lots of foods that cause gas then sealing themselves into plastic bags just as the gas starts exiting their bodies. What passes for brain meets bullet. Etc.) I am way fine with it!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:02 AM   #33
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I thought his kind protected their ego by emitting layer after layer of viscous slime in an attempt to slip out of the clutches of predators.
He will - though amazingly the slime will be brown and smell just like fecal matter of the liquidy sort!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:05 AM   #34
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post

I second this, along with the some of the don's talking points to sell his network.

#trumpnewsnetwork
Old 8th November 2016, 11:26 AM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He is going to turn Green, and it's turns out he is a Skrull.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:42 AM   #36
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Voted "no", since there will be speech, but it will be "concession speech" in name only.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:48 AM   #37
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Important factor in popular vote, California accounted for ~60% of Obama's total 5 million vote margin in 2012. California will take weeks to finalize its votes. So whatever the popular vote is when you go to bed, it will grow in Clinton's favor. Donald did not realize this in 2012 and had a meltdown when Romney lost. This could happen again since he is surrounded by yes men.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:51 AM   #38
sackett
Philosopher

I think he'll cave and give a short, ungracious concession speech.

I also hope it rains beer.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:13 PM   #39
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Instead of a traditional concession speech, he will present an infomercial about Trump Hotels, Trump Golf Courses and his upcoming TV network.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 02:56 PM   #40
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

One need look no further than Trump's speech conceding that President Obama was born in America to get a feel for his likely approach tonight.

His best. His very best would be 99% of "Trump is great" and 1% of "Clinton won."

ETA
I also think he will say "I am the one who exposed the corruptness in Washington. I am the one who made party members show their true allegiance. I am ......"

And there might be a lot of blaming. Blaming of everyone except Himself. He really believes every choice he made was correct.

Last edited by Ladewig; 8th November 2016 at 03:00 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics