IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political predictions , political speculation , prediction thread , predictions

Old 12th November 2016, 09:46 AM   #121
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Do you have a citation for that?
You just gave it. It's my prediction.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:08 AM   #122
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
You just gave it. It's my prediction.
OK, I thought maybe you had evidence.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:12 AM   #123
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
Isn't there some policy against appointing one's family members? Perhaps he has to start with an executive order changing that?
RFK was JFK's attorney general, so apparently there was no such policy in the '60s. Don't know about later times.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:19 AM   #124
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. And nope, they won't kick newly insured people to the curb. The Obamacare subsidies will stay in place - mark my words. Republicans really aren't as hard-hearted as liberals believe. Nowhere near.
I hope you're right that they were just lying all along.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:24 AM   #125
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

I hope you're right that they were just lying all along.
They never promised to kick recently insured people to the curb. You've just been brainwashed by Democratic spin.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:27 AM   #126
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

RFK was JFK's attorney general, so apparently there was no such policy in the '60s. Don't know about later times.
A law was passed during LBJ's administration specifically to prevent an RFK/JFK situation from happening again.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:29 AM   #127
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Don't borrow trouble. Find your actionables. We obviously can't predict the future or this thread wouldn't exist.
I've heard that saying - Chinese? I agree that living in the present is healthier than carrying around free-floating dread.

I think it was you that talked about getting involved in local politics. What I may be in a position to do is help young people make evidence-based arguments.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:35 AM   #128
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

They never promised to kick recently insured people to the curb. You've just been brainwashed by Democratic spin.
You don't know what's in my brain and please, if you can find it in you, refrain from pretending you can. But, since I now see that Trump was lying all along about repealing Obamacare, maybe Congress will fall into line.
Old 12th November 2016, 12:05 PM   #129
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Kris Kobach, architect of the law allowing police to ask all brown people for papers, joins transition team.

Quote:
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach has been asked to join Donald Trump’s presidential transition team.

Kobach is a controversial figure because he was the architect of what many consider to be the most racist law in modern American history: SB 1070, passed in Arizona in 2010. The law allowed police officers to stop anyone that they suspected of not being a citizen in order to ask that person to prove proof of citizenship.

The law, nicknamed “Papers Please,” was championed by both Kobach and the right-wing ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council), and two dozen other bills like it spread throughout conservative states

What’s more, Kobach was a featured speaker at a workshop for the white nationalist The Social Contract Press (TSCP). And before he was secretary of state, he was a lawyer for Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 07:28 AM   #130
annnnoid
Banned

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
1. Trump is convicted of fraud (Trump University)
2. Trump is impeached and thrown out of office. Both GOP and Dems rejoice.

...am thinking the Dems might be shaking their heads either way.

From what I can see…the Republicans have a majority in the Senate, the House, and a majority of Governorships. The only thing standing between ‘them’ and everything they want…is Donald Trump (and his loyalists).

Donald Trump goes…the (even scarier….???) Mike Pence arrives.

…so…maybe the question is simply: How long will it take to get rid of Donald Trump…by whatever means possible (legal or otherwise)? They’ve basically got two years of carte blanch where…absent Trump…they could do whatever they want. When asking what ‘means’ might be used…one only has to ask how valuable an opportunity this is (or is perceived to be) by whatever nut-job Republicans may be out there.

Is it inconceivable that ‘they’ could dig up some Democrat malcontent sociopath fall-guy somewhere (how hard would it be to find such an individual) and give him / her the opportunity to off the pres???

I don’t know…is it? Have I been watching too many movies?

…but why go to all that trouble (and risk)? Just how many skeletons do you suppose Donald has in his closet that would be grounds for impeachment??? Donald was the epitome of the moving target over the last 12-18 months…but now he’s a sitting duck with a very big target on him.

…how conceivable is it that discussions just like these are occurring somewhere in the Republican halls of power. The incentive is not just to get Pence in…Donald also seems to have made lots of enemies in Republican-land. If a plain brown envelope gets dropped on someone’s desk with impeachable-level evidence inside…how many of these ‘enemies’ (or even ‘friends’) wouldn’t use it?

I wonder if there are yet any odds in Vegas on how long before Trump is… ‘replaced’…?

Personally I think the ‘blue’ states should just face reality and create their own country (the united states of sanity). The west coast and northeast would immediately become the 5th or 6th biggest economy in the world…and the ‘red’ states would be left to squabble over the quickest route to third-world status.
annnnoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 07:37 AM   #131
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Could Trump re-pick his VP now that he's won the election? If he has any foresight, he should know that Pence is the one that the Republicans really want as POTUS.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 07:57 AM   #132
annnnoid
Banned

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Could Trump re-pick his VP now that he's won the election? If he has any foresight, he should know that Pence is the one that the Republicans really want as POTUS.

…and he and his lackey’s probably are aware of that. So maybe Pence will get ‘offed’ (Trump could call up his buddy Putin and get a bit of that radioactive stuff that the KGB / FSB uses to ‘disappear’ unwanted expatriates).

What happens if the VP position becomes vacant?...apparently the pres gets to appoint a new one…subject to the approval of both houses…BUT…he doesn’t actually HAVE to appoint anyone. The position can be vacant. But then the next in line becomes the speaker of the house (Paul Ryan)…and who in the GOP upper echelons wouldn’t want him in the white house???

Just kicking the can down the road. All absurdly hypothetical of course...but we have just entered the twilight zone where reality TV has intersected the white house. Is there anything that is too-crazy?
annnnoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2016, 02:20 AM   #133
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I see Trump go the way of least resistance everywhere, once he realizes who much effort it is to change anything.
With Priebus and Bannon at the center, the most important job of the Trump administration will be to purge and remake the GOP in the Alt-right image. Everything else will be postponed until "conformity" has been achieved.
Old 14th November 2016, 04:43 AM   #134
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
With Priebus and Bannon at the center, the most important job of the Trump administration will be to purge and remake the GOP in the Alt-right image. Everything else will be postponed until "conformity" has been achieved.
If that is the case, isn't it a rather frightening prospect given that GOP voters seem either to support the alt-right message and/or are so anti Democratic Party that they would rather vote for someone whose political views are more different than their own just because they cannot bring themselves to vote for someone with a blue rosette ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2016, 12:38 AM   #135
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Another vision that started only as a soft echo but is now getting more prominent:

"...I am therefore resigning the Office of the President of the United States."
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2016, 12:48 AM   #136
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Another vision that started only as a soft echo but is now getting more prominent:

"...I am therefore resigning the Office of the President of the United States."
I wish! Then Pence would start his presidency with the actual title of President instead of VP. Make no mistake, Pence will really be the one in charge on Jan 20th.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2016, 03:12 AM   #137
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I wish! Then Pence would start his presidency with the actual title of President instead of VP. Make no mistake, Pence will really be the one in charge on Jan 20th.
...which is very worrying for people for whom a Christian Fundamentalist U.S. is undesirable.
  • Abortion ban
  • Doubling down on abstinence only sex-ed
  • Prejuduce allowed on (Christian) religious grounds
  • Crack-down on LBGTQ rights
  • Creationism taught as science
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2016, 03:45 AM   #138
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/ma...ning-mate.html

Donald, Jr. was tasked with the vetting process for VP selection.

A Kasich adviser purports the following exchange:

Quote:
Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?

When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

Then what, the adviser asked, would Trump be in charge of?

“Making America great again” was the casual reply.
ETA: Yes, it was disputed (only after publication, of course). It is not outside of the realm of possibility, however (that it was considered a workable arrangement). I think he's changing his expectations, however. I really do think that Donald considered it plausible that he could keep working from his office in Trump Tower, jetting around on his own private jet rather than Air Force One, and basically still just being Donald while everyone else actually ran the country (per his guidance via phone conference, perhaps). Now that he's encountering the real powers of the 'deep state' that pin a President down to behave a certain way, he's getting a rude awakening.

It reminds me of what some monarchies had morphed into by the time of the Enlightenment. Kings were no longer despots that could rule by unilateral fiat. They were still legally identified as the sovereign, but the 'court' ran things, merely needing the monarch to sign this document, deliver this speech on the day of the Feast of the Blessed Virgin, make an appearance at the Spring Equinox Gala/Ball/Pageant, attend the first performance of the theatre season, gavel in the meeting of the committee of nobles, receive the official request of the ambassador of wherever-it-is, etc, etc. They were a vestigial organ.

If he thinks he's a high-powered, wheeling-and-dealing, moving-and-shaking power broker, his expectations are about to re-align. Entrenched factions and alliances of power that exist within the system are going to play him like a fiddle.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th November 2016 at 04:03 AM.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2016, 09:39 AM   #139
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Trump's main focus will be on creating synergy between his business interests and the presidency. He will hopelessly entangle the two in any way that makes him money. By the time he leaves office (through whatever means) there will be no line at all.

Corporations will win big, the little guy and the environment will lose. No big surprise there.

Pence will be running the show in many ways, but not as many as he would like. Trump's inability and unwillingness to actually run the country will lead to him letting multiple people take over things in a way that causes a lot of internal strife. It won't always be clear who outranks who, because for the most part it will be "who talked to Trump most recently?".

Even for areas where someone competent is in charge, they will occasionally be blindsided by Trump. At least a few times, plans that have been in the works for nine months or more will be abruptly torpedoed as Trump declares something out of nowhere that contradicts the party message or makes a promise that (insert planned GOP thing) will never happen.

Trump will continue to have randomly left-leaning opinions mixed in with his right wing platform. Sometimes this will muddy the waters, sometimes not. It will keep certain other politicians annoyed at him and in theory should anger some of his supporters as he drops things he doesn't really care about and was just saying to get votes.

As the establishment Republicans push back against Trump and even more often some of his buddies, Trump will not be able to resist his nature and will strike out against them. This, along with some of the scandals that will continue to come up, will mean that at some point there is serious talk of impeachment even among the Republicans. I don't think he will actually be thrown out of office though.

Despite all this, for the most part Republicans will get what they want and for the most part Trump supporters will rationalize whatever he says and does. He'll serve his four years, and if he runs again he'll still get about half the vote though I strongly believe he wouldn't win a second time.

I can't make any really specific predictions though, because he's a wildcard. So I don't know how to go down the list of policies and give a yes/no vote. Essentially I think almost none of them will be an unqualified yes, other than appointing a conservative judge to the supreme court.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2016, 06:17 AM   #140
Tero
Master Poster

Pence calls in exterminators. All rats, except Trump family, to be removed from team:
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016...remain-n684836

New lobbyists will hide behind stuffed suits, 70 year old Republicans.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2016, 06:21 AM   #141
Belz...
Fiend God

How can the VP do this without the President's say?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2016, 07:41 AM   #142
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
How can the VP do this without the President elect's say?
He can't. Which means he has the President elect's say.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2016, 07:55 AM   #143
Belz...
Fiend God

Ok. So Trump chose these guys and then dismissed them because of public opinion?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2016, 08:45 AM   #144
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Ok. So Trump chose these guys and then dismissed them because of public opinion?
Possibly. Or possibly because of internal battles within his organization. Unless he talks, we'll never know for sure.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 02:03 PM   #145
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Unless I missed it, nobody got "double impeachment and a failed insurrection".

I'm beginning to think predictions of the future might be just a lot of guessing.
Old 18th January 2021, 02:36 PM   #146
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
Trump's main focus will be on creating synergy between his business interests and the presidency. He will hopelessly entangle the two in any way that makes him money. By the time he leaves office (through whatever means) there will be no line at all.

Corporations will win big, the little guy and the environment will lose. No big surprise there.

Pence will be running the show in many ways, but not as many as he would like. Trump's inability and unwillingness to actually run the country will lead to him letting multiple people take over things in a way that causes a lot of internal strife. It won't always be clear who outranks who, because for the most part it will be "who talked to Trump most recently?".

Even for areas where someone competent is in charge, they will occasionally be blindsided by Trump. At least a few times, plans that have been in the works for nine months or more will be abruptly torpedoed as Trump declares something out of nowhere that contradicts the party message or makes a promise that (insert planned GOP thing) will never happen.

Trump will continue to have randomly left-leaning opinions mixed in with his right wing platform. Sometimes this will muddy the waters, sometimes not. It will keep certain other politicians annoyed at him and in theory should anger some of his supporters as he drops things he doesn't really care about and was just saying to get votes.

As the establishment Republicans push back against Trump and even more often some of his buddies, Trump will not be able to resist his nature and will strike out against them. This, along with some of the scandals that will continue to come up, will mean that at some point there is serious talk of impeachment even among the Republicans. I don't think he will actually be thrown out of office though.

Despite all this, for the most part Republicans will get what they want and for the most part Trump supporters will rationalize whatever he says and does. He'll serve his four years, and if he runs again he'll still get about half the vote though I strongly believe he wouldn't win a second time.

I can't make any really specific predictions though, because he's a wildcard. So I don't know how to go down the list of policies and give a yes/no vote. Essentially I think almost none of them will be an unqualified yes, other than appointing a conservative judge to the supreme court.
Eh, this guy got closest to mark.
Old 18th January 2021, 03:34 PM   #147
bam
Scholar

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 08:13 PM   #148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post

I can't believe you were that on the mark in 2016. Wow! I think this deserves a language nom, (coming right up).

EDT: I asked for an exception to the rules that a post has to be current.

These are the only two posts of mine in the thread:
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It looks like he's appointing an absolutely incompetent cabinet. What a nightmare.
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I suspect the Pubbies might be planning that so they can have POTUS Pence.
Not much worth mentioning.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th January 2021 at 08:20 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 10:38 PM   #149
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think we can answer the questin in the threat title easily. The worst presidency in US History.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:14 PM   #150
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

What I most hope for is that people will quickly lose interest in Trump, although he'll continue to fascinate a) people in his thrall and b) people who can make money from people in his thrall. I just hope that turns out to be a fairy small number of people. So far, you gotta admit, he's been pretty entertaining, both to supporters and detractors.

Personally I may feel a bit bereft post-Jan. 20. In fact I already am. Trump has grown steadily more irrelevant in recent days/weeks, IMO. Having seen all his schemes fail so far I'm skeptical that a) Biden will be arrested after swearing-in; c) Harris will disappear and 3) that Trump will be installed as president for 2 years with his VP Michael Flynn. But other people on ISF are sure that will happen and I suppose time will tell.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:25 AM   #151
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think we can answer the questin in the threat title easily. The worst presidency in US History.
Right now I'm not ready to say Trump was the worst—as far as I'm concerned Buchanan still holds that title. His actions let to the US Civil War, which killed about 655,000 people by direct action and disease. Keep in mind that the population of the US at the time was 35.7 million, for a loss of 1.8% of the population.

The death toll from COVID-19 is currently 409,000, but that's in a population nearly ten times that of 1865. 1.8% of today's population is 5,976,000. So for one metric (deaths due to poor administration) goes, Buchanan is an order of magnitude worse.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:17 AM   #152
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Right now I'm not ready to say Trump was the worst—as far as I'm concerned Buchanan still holds that title. His actions let to the US Civil War, which killed about 655,000 people by direct action and disease. Keep in mind that the population of the US at the time was 35.7 million, for a loss of 1.8% of the population.

The death toll from COVID-19 is currently 409,000, but that's in a population nearly ten times that of 1865. 1.8% of today's population is 5,976,000. So for one metric (deaths due to poor administration) goes, Buchanan is an order of magnitude worse.
Measuring US presidents by the number of deaths during their term is an interesting concept.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics