IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Emmanuel Macron , France elections , France politics , Marine Le Pen , political predictions , political speculation

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2017 French presidential election?
Nathalie Arthaud* 0 0%
François Asselineau* 0 0%
Jacques Cheminade* 0 0%
Nicolas Dupont-Aignan 0 0%
François Fillon 2 6.45%
Benoît Hamon 0 0%
Jean Lassalle 0 0%
Marine Le Pen 7 22.58%
Emmanuel Macron* 16 51.61%
Jean-Luc Mélenchon* 0 0%
Philippe Poutou* 0 0%
On planet X, Trump wins all elections 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th May 2017, 02:10 AM   #281
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

I do hope the French have learned from the Brexit mistake and the US election and this Putin interference will backfire.

But I don't know anything about how the French actually view this development.
We won't know the impact before the first estimates are released tomorrow evening.

French law prohibits politicians and the campaigns to communicate since midnight.
Some Le Pen surrogates tweeted about the leaks just before midnight. The Macron campaign denounced the leaks at 23.55pm.

Now the campaigns are silent, the French media have been warned by the election watchdog not to release or comment on the leaked documents.
Of course foreign media and social media are not bound by this warning.

As of now, I'm not aware of any damaging information contained in the leaks.

Americans will "appreciate" the fact that the first account who tweeted about the 4Chan leak was Jack Posobiec.
Old 6th May 2017, 02:36 AM   #282
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Obama is interfering in the French election.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 02:59 AM   #283
esspee
black goo

Le Pen will win. Almost certainly IMO or at least is more likely to win than lose.

Brexit - impossible
Trump - impossible

Le Pen - impossible.

I would have put money on Le Pen two months ago (like i did with trump in the uk), but I then i found out that it is illegal to gamble on politics here in France.

( i am still here from my flyboard air investigation - BTW the thing has not flown once since the day that i arrived)

Last edited by esspee; 6th May 2017 at 03:03 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 03:06 AM   #284
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Le Pen will win. Almost certainly IMO or at least is more likely to win than lose.

Brexit - impossible
Trump - impossible

Le Pen - impossible.

I would have put money on Le Pen two months ago (like i did with trump in the uk), but I then i found out that it is illegal to gamble on politics here in France.

( i am still here from my flyboard air investigation - BTW the thing has not flown once since the day that i arrived)
Certainly? Based on what?

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 04:37 AM   #285
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Certainly? Based on what?
the atmosphere here. Peoples real opinions as opposed to what they might say in polite company/what is de rigueur

note - i think i said almost certainly. Nothing is for certain in this life. But i personally think its likely that she wins.

As in - i would have put most of my money (not a kings ransom btw) on that outcome had betting on politics not been illegal here.

(which is a strange thing, because in the uk, where i am from, betting is the only good reason to follow politics )

Last edited by esspee; 6th May 2017 at 04:55 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2017, 05:03 AM   #286
Firestone

Tunnel vision: if I would base my prediction on what I hear from my French friends and colleagues, Macron should win with close to 100% of the vote.

I know he won't. Polls give him between 59% and 63%.
Are these polls reliable? Well, the polls for the first round were quite good. And there was no hidden Le Pen vote whatsoever.

So, while an upset is always possible (see the Michigan democratic primary in 2016), it seems very unlikely based on the track record of polls in the first round.

Last edited by Firestone; 6th May 2017 at 05:04 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 12:53 AM   #287
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
We won't know the impact before the first estimates are released tomorrow evening.

French law prohibits politicians and the campaigns to communicate since midnight.
Some Le Pen surrogates tweeted about the leaks just before midnight. The Macron campaign denounced the leaks at 23.55pm.

Now the campaigns are silent, the French media have been warned by the election watchdog not to release or comment on the leaked documents.
Of course foreign media and social media are not bound by this warning.

As of now, I'm not aware of any damaging information contained in the leaks.

Americans will "appreciate" the fact that the first account who tweeted about the 4Chan leak was Jack Posobiec.
In all likelyhood the leaks don't contain anything that might jeopardize Macron. They didn't hack multiple accounts and pull gigabytes worth of e-mails in the last few days, they had them weeks ago. If there was anything damaging they would've released them when they could impact his campaign - two weeks ago at latest. By releasing them so close to the election it's rather unlikely anything significant will be founf and publicized before the vote is in. Macron and his campaign also made a safety move by claiming some documents therein are false. Whether this is true or not anyone not already voting for Le Pen that finds something damaging will ask himself "what if this is fake?", limiting the damage further.

It's a desperate tactic of FSB and their stooges. Wikileaks has once again shown they work for them. They not only failed to stop the publication for two days, they evrn immediately claimed there was no reason to believe any files were falsified. Vermin.

McHrozni
Old 7th May 2017, 12:58 AM   #288
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Tunnel vision: if I would base my prediction on what I hear from my French friends and colleagues, Macron should win with close to 100% of the vote.

Are these polls reliable? Well, the polls for the first round were quite good. And there was no hidden Le Pen vote whatsoever.

So, while an upset is always possible (see the Michigan democratic primary in 2016), it seems very unlikely based on the track record of polls in the first round.
The best chance for an upset would be a major terrorist attack a few days ago, coupled with Macron's poor response to it. Right now it is possible, but only in the theoretical sense.
Brexit and Trump were both within the margin error of polls. French elections are six to seven times that. Possible perhaps, but in the same sense as the other candidate being killed by a meteorite before the polls close.

McHrozni
Old 7th May 2017, 01:15 AM   #289
Firestone

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
In all likelyhood the leaks don't contain anything that might jeopardize Macron. They didn't hack multiple accounts and pull gigabytes worth of e-mails in the last few days, they had them weeks ago. If there was anything damaging they would've released them when they could impact his campaign - two weeks ago at latest. By releasing them so close to the election it's rather unlikely anything significant will be founf and publicized before the vote is in. Macron and his campaign also made a safety move by claiming some documents therein are false. Whether this is true or not anyone not already voting for Le Pen that finds something damaging will ask himself "what if this is fake?", limiting the damage further.

It's a desperate tactic of FSB and their stooges. Wikileaks has once again shown they work for them. They not only failed to stop the publication for two days, they evrn immediately claimed there was no reason to believe any files were falsified. Vermin.

McHrozni
Yes, I agree.

Yesterday I put on a hazmat suit and dived into the Fachosphère on Twitter to see what they were disclosing from the leaked emails and documents.
Absolutely nothing of any significance.

The best chance for an upset would be a major terrorist attack a few days ago, coupled with Macron's poor response to it. Right now it is possible, but only in the theoretical sense.
Brexit and Trump were both within the margin error of polls. French elections are six to seven times that. Possible perhaps, but in the same sense as the other candidate being killed by a meteorite before the polls close.

McHrozni
Again, agree.

If we stay within the bounds of what is realistic, the only major question this evening will be what the margin is.
Old 7th May 2017, 01:59 AM   #290
esspee
black goo

well i guess it all depends on who your collegues and friends are, and maybe there general economic class.

But at the same time, this could also be effecting my perception of it to ie - the kind of circles i might mix in.

SO yeah - Macron may win, totally not impossible - but if he does i would like to think the margin would be rather small.

Guess we find out in a few hours.

Either way - probrably going to be drama and carnage on monday no matter who wins.

Seems to me, from people here that many just seem to dislike both candidates. Kind of like the US election, ie many voted against Trump, many voted against Clinton, but how many actually voted for Clinton or for Trump?

Maybe the real deciding factor will be who is the most despised.
Old 7th May 2017, 01:59 AM   #291
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

McHrozni
And as always, terrorists failed to deliver...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 03:18 AM   #292
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
And as always, terrorists failed to deliver...
Well, they do ensure something like 90% of French Muslims will vote Macron today. That's almost 10% of the votes he needs for presidency if their turnout is in line with other groups. It is also likely terrorists ensured a greater than average turnout amongst French Muslims, making their impact stronger still. Without terrorists we could be rooting for Filon to beat Melenchon right now or sonething like that. That would be depressing.

The Irony is strong with this one.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 7th May 2017 at 03:20 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 06:16 AM   #293
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Information for the conspiracy nuts: Wikileaks has not published these leaks. They originate at 4chan where people (Putin? ) posted links to pastebin which contained links to archive.org which hosts the data.
Old 7th May 2017, 06:59 AM   #294
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Without terrorists we could be rooting for Filon to beat Melenchon right now or sonething like that.
I suppose it's too much to hope that you can provide something resembling evidence for that?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 07:17 AM   #295
Firestone

French law doesn't authorize the release of estimates before 8.00pm (CET).

Belgian media are not bound by this law, and of course like to leak the first estimates they get from the French polling firms before the French deadline.

If you can't wait, have a look on RTBF, the Belgian French language public broadcasting company.

Last edited by Firestone; 7th May 2017 at 07:31 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 09:06 AM   #296
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I suppose it's too much to hope that you can provide something resembling evidence for that?
You want evidence for a what-if scenario that includes a "could"?

Good luck with that.

McHrozni
Old 7th May 2017, 09:54 AM   #297
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

You want evidence for a what-if scenario that includes a "could"?

Good luck with that.

McHrozni
Yes, cos you wrote
Without terrorists we could be rooting for Filon to beat Melenchon right now or sonething like that.
and forgot to add
With or without terrorists we could, or as it may equally well be, could not, be rooting for Fillon to beat, or perhaps fail to beat Melenchon, right now or perhaps at some other time, or something like that, but perhaps nothing at all like that, as the case may be.
You indicated that Muslims would be threatened by terrorists to come out and vote. Perhaps, they could or could not be doing that, but overall voting figures seem to be down on last time. Or they could be.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 10:30 AM   #298
Belz...
Fiend God

the atmosphere here. Peoples real opinions as opposed to what they might say in polite company/what is de rigueur
Except that Brexit and the US elections had pretty close numbers on both sides regardless of the predictions. Macron has a huge lead.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 10:51 AM   #299
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Except that Brexit and the US elections had pretty close numbers on both sides regardless of the predictions. Macron has a huge lead.
fair point i suppose. we find out in ten minutes
Old 7th May 2017, 11:01 AM   #300
Firestone

First estimates: Macron at 65.1%
Old 7th May 2017, 11:03 AM   #301
esspee
black goo

First estimates: Macron at 65.1%
estimates?

real results should be any minute
Old 7th May 2017, 11:05 AM   #302
esspee
black goo

65.5 macron.

Guess the people i talked to were not representative of the nation as a whole!
Old 7th May 2017, 11:10 AM   #303
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

65.5 macron.

Guess the people i talked to were not representative of the nation as a whole!
It looks like Le Pen didn't even reach the results the polls predicted. That's good, and gives Marcon a chance of starting to heal the country.

McHrozni
Old 7th May 2017, 11:16 AM   #304
eerok
Quixoticist

That's a relief. I'm fed up with the far right.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:20 AM   #305
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
There is one major difference I tried to explain you but you missed. There is a good reason poll are mostly correct for the second round within a few points, and that lies in the huge difference of that with brexit or the US election system. That is the power of direct suffrage , combined with pollster which are used to it.

As said previously the result is utterly unsurprising. Better yet : *it could not have had a surprise*.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 11:20 AM   #306
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Le Pen has conceded to Macron.

Still, doubling the result of her father in 2002, is still a massive achievement. Then again, reading some of the stuff that made people vote for her, it only goes to show we really are in a post-factual era.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 11:20 AM   #307
Belz...
Fiend God

Phew!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 11:21 AM   #308
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

It looks like Le Pen didn't even reach the results the polls predicted. That's good, and gives Marcon a chance of starting to heal the country.

McHrozni
60/40 was what was predicted. 65/35 is near enough.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 11:21 AM   #309
Firestone

I'm particularly happy that Macron won with a clear pro EU campaign.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:36 AM   #310
Degeneve
Muse

Now let's hope that after this defeat the FN will have its own Night of the Long Knives...
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 11:38 AM   #311
malbui
Beauf

Massive relief around here.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:41 AM   #312
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
Massive relief around here.
official results not released yet, is it too early to sigh?
Old 7th May 2017, 11:43 AM   #313
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

the atmosphere here. Peoples real opinions as opposed to what they might say in polite company/what is de rigueur....
So where was that atmosphere located? I'm curious given the Macron victory was so clear and Le Pen didn't get the 40% that was supposed to mark a victory for her personally.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 11:44 AM   #314
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So where was that atmosphere located? I'm curious given the Macron victory was so clear and Le Pen didn't get the 40% that was supposed to mark a victory for her personally.
south - rural areas
Old 7th May 2017, 11:54 AM   #315
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Marseille is pretty much a bastion of FN.

One potential headache for Macron, as he set about trying to heal the country, will be that the 2 million voters who posted a spoiled ballot. That's 2 million voters actively saying no thanks to either candidate.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 12:13 PM   #316
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post

One potential headache for Macron, as he set about trying to heal the country, will be that the 2 million voters who posted a spoiled ballot. That's 2 million voters actively saying no thanks to either candidate.
inb4 conspiracy theories of election fraud start (off to check the conspiracy forum)

EDIT: nope, nothing there yet, ...just some stupid thread about a flying stool

Last edited by esspee; 7th May 2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 7th May 2017, 01:09 PM   #317
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post

4,2 million actually, which is a record, apparently.
http://www.liberation.fr/elections-p...ais-vu_1567886
Quote:
...Manifestement, une bonne partie d’entre eux a finalement refusé de choisir pour ce second tour de l’élection présidentielle, l’abstention dépassant les 25% et les votes blancs et nuls explosant. 4,2 millions d’électeurs sur les 47,6 millions d’inscrits sur les listes électorales ont décidé de voter, mais de ne choisir ni le Front national, ni En marche....

Last edited by Castro; 7th May 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 01:13 PM   #318
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Viva la, viva la, viva l'amour!
Viva la, viva la, viva l'amour!

Merci, beaucoup, la France.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2017, 01:21 PM   #319
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
4,2 million actually, which is a record, apparently.
http://www.liberation.fr/elections-p...ais-vu_1567886
Alas, was only following the coverage with half an ear. Bad idea when hearing impaired, I suppose
Old 7th May 2017, 01:36 PM   #320
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Stated and respectful reaction from the Leave.EU campaign
Quote:
The French rolled over in 1940. This time they've saved Germany the fuel and bullets.
https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/...07433829924866

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics