IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , uk elections , uk politics

View Poll Results: Predict the result of UK General Election 2017
Conservative majority of 100+ 7 10.94%
Conservative majority of 76 to 100 4 6.25%
Conservative majority of 51 to 75 9 14.06%
Conservative majority of 26 to 50 7 10.94%
Conservative majority of 1 to 25 14 21.88%
Hung parliament 19 29.69%
Labour majority of 1 to 25 3 4.69%
Labour majority of 26 to 50 0 0%
Labour majority of 51 to 75 0 0%
Labour majority of 76 to 100 0 0%
Labour majority of 100+ 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th June 2017, 01:52 PM   #161
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
......2015 was a freak result. SNP still have a mandate in Scotland.
I'm not sure that anyone has suggested otherwise. However, as the campaign in Scotland was all about Indyref 2, the big drop in vote and seats, in contrast to the performance of the unionist parties (who got a higher number of votes) mean that even Sturgeon is struggling to spin the result as a ringing endorsement of her call for another referendum.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 05:15 AM   #162
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I'm not sure that anyone has suggested otherwise. However, as the campaign in Scotland was all about Indyref 2, the big drop in vote and seats, in contrast to the performance of the unionist parties (who got a higher number of votes) mean that even Sturgeon is struggling to spin the result as a ringing endorsement of her call for another referendum.
I don't think Sturgeon is trying to spin that line. She is "reflecting" on the result, as well she may.

Recall that the areas that voted yes in indyref1 weren't SNP heartlands. They were Labour heartlands. A vote for Labour is not necessarily a unionist vote, even though Labour is a unionist party. This is particularly so when Labour is standing on a Left wing manifesto.

But it is true to say that there is no clear majority for Indy at the present time.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 06:13 AM   #163
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I don't think Sturgeon is trying to spin that line. She is "reflecting" on the result, as well she may.

Recall that the areas that voted yes in indyref1 weren't SNP heartlands. They were Labour heartlands. A vote for Labour is not necessarily a unionist vote, even though Labour is a unionist party. This is particularly so when Labour is standing on a Left wing manifesto.

But it is true to say that there is no clear majority for Indy at the present time.
And nor has there ever been as far as I can tell. The SNP perhaps overestimated the extent to which Brexit would be a factor for voters. It seems the initial outrage cooled somewhat but the suggestion that this election tells us something new about support for either Indy or indyref (which strangely seem to be more or less the same thing now) is stretching.

In UK elections the natural home for a lot of votes is Labour and not SNP. Uk elections should be something of an irrelevance for the snp in some ways. The next holyrood vote is far more important as an indicator.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:09 AM   #164
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
And nor has there ever been as far as I can tell. The SNP perhaps overestimated the extent to which Brexit would be a factor for voters. It seems the initial outrage cooled somewhat but the suggestion that this election tells us something new about support for either Indy or indyref (which strangely seem to be more or less the same thing now) is stretching.

In UK elections the natural home for a lot of votes is Labour and not SNP. Uk elections should be something of an irrelevance for the snp in some ways. The next holyrood vote is far more important as an indicator.
The SNP had started walking back their let's have another referendum this generation as they realised it wasn't going to fly with the voters, then May made her decision and the SNP didn't have time to make up their loss. I think we can assume that SNP calls for another referendum will not happen again in the near future.

Perhaps they actually will wait a generation as they told everyone at the independence referendum.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:41 AM   #165
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The SNP had started walking back their let's have another referendum this generation as they realised it wasn't going to fly with the voters, then May made her decision and the SNP didn't have time to make up their loss. I think we can assume that SNP calls for another referendum will not happen again in the near future.

Perhaps they actually will wait a generation as they told everyone at the independence referendum.
If Brexit turns out a disaster and voters therefore become more sympathetic to independence, a referendum will be held, and rightly so. At the last one we were told that to stay in the EU we had to vote No to independence. But that was a falsehood, so Sturgeon will go ahead whenever she thinks it can be won. That may of course be some time away, or it may be sooner, if prospects for the U.K. outside the eu start to look unappealing.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:49 AM   #166
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Question is if the SNP Might evolve into a Scottish version the Quebecois party in Canada:using the threat of sucession to gain concessions..and pork ...for Scotland, but never really pushing it to the limit. Sort of "Give un Indepdence, Lord...But Not RIght Now!".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:50 AM   #167
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That fits in with my theory of the SNP becoming like the Qubecois party in Canada;use sucession as a scarecrow to get goodies for Scotland.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 11:23 AM   #168
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That fits in with my theory of the SNP becoming like the Qubecois party in Canada;use sucession as a scarecrow to get goodies for Scotland.
I'm not sure that would work for very long. Sooner or later the SNP would have to demonstrate both their own commitment and the support they say independence has among the voters. Otherwise a threat of a referendum would be empty.

I still adhere to my theory that it will be advanced if and when things go badly wrong as regards Brexit or one of the other problems confronting Westminster. But it will be kept quietly in reserve until an opportunity to deploy it is clearly seen to have arisen. Meanwhile Westminster will try to taunt Sturgeon into setting off her Doomsday Device prematurely.

Ignite blue touch paper and secede to a safe distance immediately.
Old 14th June 2017, 12:41 AM   #169
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

Deary me. You are better than parroting this tired old Unionist canard. They never told anyone anything of the sort.

Nor have they walked anything back on indyref which was voted upon by the Scottish government and remains policy to date. When and if that changes we can say they have walked something back.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 12:47 AM   #170
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I'm not sure that would work for very long. Sooner or later the SNP would have to demonstrate both their own commitment and the support they say independence has among the voters. Otherwise a threat of a referendum would be empty.

I still adhere to my theory that it will be advanced if and when things go badly wrong as regards Brexit or one of the other problems confronting Westminster. But it will be kept quietly in reserve until an opportunity to deploy it is clearly seen to have arisen. Meanwhile Westminster will try to taunt Sturgeon into setting off her Doomsday Device prematurely.

Ignite blue touch paper and secede to a safe distance immediately.
My main disagreement with this approach is that I don't think pushing for a risky change from a position of weakness will ever work. If things get bad post Brexit it will be used as to scare people that can't afford to gamble on independence. A yes vote can only ever happen when people are confident to make the change not because the status quo is so bad.

The moment the UK leaves the EU then independence becomes less rather than more likely. In my opinion anyway.
Old 14th June 2017, 01:54 PM   #171
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

The SNP campaign was not all about Indyref 2.

The unionists campaign was. The idiotic call for an election cost both May and Sturgeon.

The SNP made it more about policies and Brexit.

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics