IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alabama elections , Alabama politics , Doug Jones , political predictions , prediction thread , roy moore

View Poll Results: Who will win the senate seat
Roy Moore 60 68.18%
Doug Jones 5 5.68%
Don’t know/Planet X/third option 23 26.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th December 2017, 08:51 PM   #361
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He announced he wouldn't allow the winner to be sworn in until next year, keeping Strange in the office.
Yes, which is against tradition, Senate Rules and probably illegal. But they have no shame about taking such actions, as evidenced with the theft of a SCOTUS appointment.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:52 PM   #362
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Speaking of which, schadenfruede time:
http://www.breitbart.com/

This is the only time I'll ever recommend this: Read the comments, sort by best.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:53 PM   #363
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I voted that Moore would win. But that wasn't skepticism, it was pessimism. As well as the knowledge of just how conservative Alabama is.
Called it!

Pessimists!

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:53 PM   #364
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It might be less than 10,000 votes. The media was saying that the cities would give Jones a much greater margin.
Old 12th December 2017, 08:54 PM   #366
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think Moore was just not as popular in Alabama as a lot of people seemed to think he was.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:56 PM   #367
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Don’t you mean Moore? Grammar resistance leader?
Huh huh, ya got me there, Beevis! (It's a typo; or a brainfart, if you will. It doesn't change that your kiddie diddler lost and he did so with the help of your pussy-grabbing president and your neo-nazi white supremacist demigod, Steve Bannon.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:57 PM   #368
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I’m happy for your side, you guys really needed a win. You’ll have the seat for two years.
Did you forget we had some really good wins last month, too? Looks like a trend.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:58 PM   #369
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There are enough write ins to overshadow the difference between Moore and Jones.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:59 PM   #370
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Looks like Mitch is going to have to break the Senate rules again so that they can get their tax bill.
Why? Strange will be the voting Senator.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:01 PM   #371
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Huh huh, ya got me there, Beevis! (It's a typo; or a brainfart, if you will.
Lol

Quote:
It doesn't change that your kiddie diddler lost and he did so with the help of your pussy-grabbing president and your neo-nazi white supremacist demigod, Steve Bannon.)
Actually, there were some accusations that might have had something to do with it.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:01 PM   #372
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The gap seems to be mighty small...

Old 12th December 2017, 09:01 PM   #373
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Looks like decency and common sense won for a change.

Barely...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:02 PM   #374
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I think Moore was just not as popular in Alabama as a lot of people seemed to think he was.
I don't think it's so much that people presumed that Moore was popular - it's that people presumed that Alabamas have no ethical standards (en masse) given their Republican tendencies.

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 12th December 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Shadowdweller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:02 PM   #375
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

He was a lot more popular just a month or so ago. I wonder what happened?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:03 PM   #376
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Turnout 34%, much higher than the 25% I was hearing earlier.

Old 12th December 2017, 09:04 PM   #377
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Why? Strange will be the voting Senator.
Looks like it will be Strange voting on it. But Mitch has already been breaking Senate traditions to get the bill passed.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:04 PM   #378
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
He was a lot more popular just a month or so ago. I wonder what happened?
He didn't beat the Dem for judge by all that much in 2012.

Old 12th December 2017, 09:06 PM   #379
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Moore may win this yet...

Old 12th December 2017, 09:07 PM   #380
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger;12112075[HILITE
]I learned long ago that letting politics give you pain is always a loser.[/hilite] Ultimately in the long run if you’re counting on anything other than yourself to be successful in this world, you’re going to always be disappointed.
Wow logger, you and I agree on something.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:07 PM   #381
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The Moore campaign sent out a fundraising email at 10:41 PM—15 minutes after AP called the race—warning that "time is running out!"
He's the worst.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:07 PM   #382
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www2.alabamavotes.gov/electio...?ecode=1000915

Moore back in front with 1 county to go?

Old 12th December 2017, 09:08 PM   #383
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Barely...
But the consequences, think of the consequences: GOP legislators are going to be running away from Trump as fast as they can run.

And if we are lucky they might even stop voting in lock-step with the rest of the pro-rich, anti-human decency jerks.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:09 PM   #384
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Doug for prez? That was a good speech.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:10 PM   #385
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

close enough that the Republicans can "find" votes to put Moore ahead.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:10 PM   #386
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Moore back in front with 1 county to go?
No, look at the totals, that isn't all counties but one, that's about an hour ago with 85% counted. The news media is better staffed and ahead of the official state site.

98.2% counted on Politico and the numbers are 639,088 votes for Jones and 629,749 votes for Moore.

Your link is showing 554,000 and 560,000.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th December 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:11 PM   #387
Cain
Straussian

Well, **** me.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:11 PM   #388
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Moore may win this yet...
By refusing to concede? His supporters have gone home and the only people left are a lonely Fox reporter with a dubious haircut and about the 1/3 of the original crowd who were die-hard Moore-ites.

Does anyone know what happened to Bannon? Word from early in the day was that he was nearby so he could come bask in HIS victory. Did he get out of town quietly, or was he never there in the first place?

Old 12th December 2017, 09:12 PM   #389
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

No, look at the totals, that isn't all counties but one, that's about an hour ago with 85% counted.
Central time?

Counties Reported: 66 of 67

Old 12th December 2017, 09:12 PM   #390
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
close enough that the Republicans can "find" votes to put Moore ahead.
Im afraid youre right. What's that scribble next to "write in"?? Looks like Moore to me.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:13 PM   #391
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Just updated, Moore still ahead.

Old 12th December 2017, 09:14 PM   #392
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Central time?

I see 98% on all US news networks.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:15 PM   #393
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever is going on, the race is very close.

Old 12th December 2017, 09:16 PM   #394
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Central time?

Look at my edit, it shows the numbers. Maybe those "counties reporting" is either only counting counties that are 100% in, or counties that have some but not all numbers in.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:16 PM   #395
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator

Central time?

I think that may mean they have at least one precinct reporting from 66 of the 67 counties. There was one county that it took forever to get its first precinct reported. That site also says it was last updated an hour ago (and it just flipped in favor of Jones).
Old 12th December 2017, 09:17 PM   #396
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, it's Jefferson County that's out yet, which means Jones will indeed win.

Old 12th December 2017, 09:17 PM   #397
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

HUH??????? I've clicked the link both times you posted it and both times it has Jones winning.

Old 12th December 2017, 09:18 PM   #398
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

All the major news organizations have called it for Jones, just so you know. That count seems to be delayed by about an hour. I looked at it earlier thinking they might be faster but it was the opposite.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:18 PM   #399
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Whatever floats your boat.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:19 PM   #400
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever floats your boat.
Cache...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics