IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alabama elections , Alabama politics , Doug Jones , political predictions , prediction thread , roy moore

View Poll Results: Who will win the senate seat
Roy Moore 60 68.18%
Doug Jones 5 5.68%
Donít know/Planet X/third option 23 26.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th December 2017, 09:52 AM   #41
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol, wow!

It couldnít be that your side ran a hard left candidate?

Although making Dems unhappy is fun, I doubt that is why.
Anyone who prosecutes Klansmen is too far left for you?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 10:01 AM   #42
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Iím sure he was talking about all families. But it is fascinating that even in slave families who suffered all those terrible things, the family unit was much more health than it is today. That is all he is saying.
It is not a healthy or close family when women are routinely forced to be raped and produce children against their will (against the male's will as well). You are calling forced breeding a healthy family.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 10:02 AM   #43
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah if you’re going out of your way to mid his meaning.
Mid his meaning? He is the one who called the American family strong when Americans as a matter of law were having their children ripped from them and sold. Forced to have children against their will.

All those children produced from the slave owner raping a slave and sold sure is a strong family.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 10:06 AM   #44
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a scary thought for you: If Jones wins, Trump will probably appoint Moore to the Supreme Court next time there's a vacancy.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:34 AM   #45
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Iím sure he was talking about all families. But it is fascinating that even in slave families who suffered all those terrible things, the family unit was much more health than it is today. That is all he is saying.
Excuse me while I throw up. You used to make some sense. What the hell happened?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 10:51 AM   #46
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Lol

How exactly was it that you came up with that?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 10:52 AM   #47
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is not a healthy or close family when women are routinely forced to be raped and produce children against their will (against the male's will as well). You are calling forced breeding a healthy family.
Really? I donít remember posting that. You seem to be once again trying to miss the point.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 10:55 AM   #48
logger
Banned

Mid his meaning? He is the one who called the American family strong when Americans as a matter of law were having their children ripped from them and sold. Forced to have children against their will.

All those children produced from the slave owner raping a slave and sold sure is a strong family.
Miss....

This I-pad spell check does some funny things.

When a family is violated in whatever way, does that mean they donít have a strong family?
Old 9th December 2017, 10:55 AM   #49
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Really? I donít remember posting that. You seem to be once again trying to miss the point.
The alternative is you ignore the most defining attribute of early 1800s American families. That would be intellectual malpractice.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:56 AM   #50
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Here's a scary thought for you: If Jones wins, Trump will probably appoint Moore to the Supreme Court next time there's a vacancy.
Thatís interesting, even though Trump seems to not like him?
Old 9th December 2017, 10:58 AM   #51
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Miss....

This I-pad spell check does some funny things.

When a family is violated in whatever way, does that mean they don’t have a strong family?
No. Just the ones that are so severe it is systemativ family annihilation.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:59 AM   #52
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Excuse me while I throw up. You used to make some sense. What the hell happened?
Youíre emotion is causing you to miss the clear fact that even though those families went through unspeakable tragedy and violation, they were clearly better than the rot we see today. That doesnít take away the awfulness of slavery or the things that it represented.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:00 AM   #53
logger
Banned

No. Just the ones that are so severe it is systemativ family annihilation.
Just the ones? So now the others were in fact better? Youíre giving up the emotional statement that all families were terrible back then because of the tragedies they suffered?
Old 9th December 2017, 11:01 AM   #54
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Youíre emotion is causing you to miss the clear fact that even though those families went through unspeakable tragedy and violation, they were clearly better than the rot we see today. That doesnít take away the awfulness of slavery or the things that it represented.
That actually does take away from slavery and the things it represented. That is the problem.

Not to mention you have no evidence for your claim of better families.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:02 AM   #55
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Just the ones? So now the others were in fact better? Youíre giving up the emotional statement that all families were terrible back then because of the tragedies they suffered?
Yes. They were all terrible for Americans enslaved. That isn't an emotional claim.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:03 AM   #56
logger
Banned

No. Just the ones that are so severe it is
systemativ family annihilation.
You must have an Ipad

Last edited by logger; 9th December 2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:05 AM   #57
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Stronger families during slavery? When slave families were routinely broken up and kids sold to other plantations? Are you kidding me?
Also, most states allowed only white male adult property owners to vote, women couldn't vote in any state, wives & children were considered property of the husband, spousal rape wasn't accepted as a crime and only men could seek divorce. It was a time that sucked for everyone that wasn't a white male land owner.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:06 AM   #58
logger
Banned

Yes. They were all terrible for Americans enslaved. That isn't an emotional claim.
Agreed, but that isnít what weíre talking about nor was the judge. He was high lighting the fact that obviously even through all that the families were much better than many AA families of today. If you think his statement was to somehow justify slavery, youíre not being realistic.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:08 AM   #59
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Also, most states allowed only white male adult property owners to vote, women couldn't vote in any state, wives & children were considered property of the husband, spousal rape wasn't accepted as a crime and only men could seek divorce. It was a time that sucked for everyone that wasn't a white male land owner.
And in spite of all that, families were doing much better.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:09 AM   #60
logger
Banned

Again, youíre missing the point he was making.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:13 AM   #61
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed, but that isnít what weíre talking about nor was the judge. He was high lighting the fact that obviously even through all that the families were much better than many AA families of today. If you think his statement was to somehow justify slavery, youíre not being realistic.
A) that isn't obvious.

B) there isn't a "even through all that." The conversation stops at it being a systematic destruction of the family. This is along the lines of "other than that, how did you like the play Mrs Lincoln?"
Old 9th December 2017, 11:15 AM   #62
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

My whole argument is that his argument is intellectual malpractice.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:15 AM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
and known pedophile Roy Moore?
Actually, there's no evidence Moore is a pedophile.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:20 AM   #64
logger
Banned

My whole argument is that his argument is intellectual malpractice.
For someone making an emotional argument and going out of their way to miss his point, further, to twist his point into something else.
Old 9th December 2017, 11:24 AM   #65
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
There is evidence that he sexually stalked and assaulted underage girls.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:30 AM   #66
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I thought it was too close to call, but after Gloria Allred spectacularly ********** up the handling of the yearbook, I now think Moore is going to win.

No, I donít think it was forged, but the problem is the failure to disclose that the women had added text to the inscription right off the bat.

So stupid.
No, what's stupid is that you think the putrefication of the Republican Party can be hidden behind such a flimsy curtain. We smell you.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:53 AM   #67
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

For someone making an emotional argument and going out of their way to miss his point, further, to twist his point into something else.
I'm not making an emotional argument.

I'm trying to even think of a measure that you or him would use to call it better.
Old 9th December 2017, 12:14 PM   #68
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The accusations will suppress some Republican votes, but not the core of Moore's voters.
They are unlikely to move voters to Jones.

But anything less than a 10 point win for Moore is a major victory for Democrats in Alabama.
I don't think so. Losing not-so-bad to a guy as scummy as Moore says nothing about the Democrat, just that a lot of people found Moore distasteful. Even if Jones won it wouldn't be because of his platform.

If I lived there I would probably vote for Jones, and for reasons beyond Moore's latest accusations, but I have my own problems here in Cali with Jerry Brown, so I don't have time to care
Old 9th December 2017, 12:51 PM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
There is evidence that he sexually stalked and assaulted underage girls.
... Which is not the same thing.
Old 9th December 2017, 02:04 PM   #70
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What all this comes down to is, do the people of Alabama love their daughters more than they hate democrats?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 02:06 PM   #71
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What all this comes down to is, do the people of Alabama love their daughters more than they hate democrats?

No itís actually not!
Old 9th December 2017, 02:08 PM   #72
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
In other words, the good ol days! MAGA!
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 02:44 PM   #73
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I thought it was too close to call, but after Gloria Allred spectacularly ********** up the handling of the yearbook, I now think Moore is going to win.

No, I donít think it was forged, but the problem is the failure to disclose that the women had added text to the inscription right off the bat.

So stupid.
Agree on all points.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 02:48 PM   #74
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think there is plenty of evidence that as an adult he has been attracted to children. That is the common definition, if not the clinical definition.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 07:27 PM   #75
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
IMO the good ol' boys (and gals) in Alabama will want to send a message to those liberal elites who insist that their representatives aren't child molesters and return Roy Moore with a greater majority than Sessions.

Moore will then be welcomed with open arms by all those GOPers who were previously suggesting that he should drop out.
And he and they will go out together to molest children and murder members of endangered species.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 09:13 PM   #76
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

No. No one's missing the point he was making and that you're supporting: That "we" were better off during antebellum years. Of course, he and you both mean "we white folk".

Stop arguing that slaves had more family values. It's a stupid argument based on the opening chorus of Dixie, that the blacks longed for those wonderful days and nights on the old plantation. By the period that Judge Roy is speaking about there was a slave-breeding industry in the south. There weren't breeding businesses per se, the noble plantation owners did it. But they traded through an organized entrepreneurial class in several major cities, notably Charleston, Richmond and New Orleans. Humans were treated as beasts of burden and bred for productivity. Families were split up at whim for purely commercial reasons. Mommies were separated from daddies and made to produce (if they were "breeders") more babies with other men. Sometimes those males were other slaves, often they were overseers, owners, or owners' kin. No one cared. Well, no one who mattered... meaning "we" white folk.

Stop posting nonsense.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:58 PM   #77
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

So stupid.
Have you ever seen a yearbook? The amount of writing in your yearbook is related to how popular you were. The whole point of the blank pages in the yearbook is to be written in.
Old 10th December 2017, 06:08 AM   #78
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No itís actually not!
You're right, it also has to do with how much they hate black people.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 06:11 AM   #79
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Agree on all points.
I have a real problem with Gloria Allred's performance as the attorney for some of these women. She needs to represent her clients before her cause. It does not appear to me that she acts in the interests of her clients at all times as she is required to do.
Old 10th December 2017, 07:52 AM   #80
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
By definition anyone the Democrats run is "too far left."

So clearly, it's the Democrats' fault Moore wins. If they had just supported Moore from the start, we wouldn't be in this mess. QED.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics