IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 26th July 2021, 02:15 PM   #3041
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Fort Worth, Texas

1 dead, 3 wounded.

The shooter was stoned to death after the shooting.
Url link no worky

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2021, 03:04 PM   #3042
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Url link no worky

Strange.

Here's a different one.
https://www.boston25news.com/news/tr...BXVW247R76G7I/
Old 26th July 2021, 08:25 PM   #3043
Bogative
Graduate Poster

We'll wrap this weekend's shootings in Wasco, California.

5 dead, 1 wounded.

Man kills his two daughters and their mother.

Deputies rushed to the scene where one was murdered and one was wounded by gunfire.

9 mass shootings.

13 killed.

33 wounded.

0 DVEs, who is the deadliest threat to America according to Pedo Joe, pulling the triggers.
Old 26th July 2021, 08:48 PM   #3044
mgidm86
Philosopher

Url link no worky

Quote:
“The other attendees of the party then gave chase to the shooter,” police said. “The shooter turned and fired at other people; a group picked up concrete landscaping bricks and started ‘throwing them’ at the shooter.”

No photos of the aftermath unfortunately.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/...BXVW247R76G7I/
Old 27th July 2021, 07:56 AM   #3045
Fonebone
persona non grata

Url link no worky
Sorry, this reply is to post # 3042

The code in your link:
<___http://Fort Worth, Texas___>
All great truths begin as blasphemies __Shaw

Last edited by Fonebone; 27th July 2021 at 07:58 AM.
Fonebone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 07:29 PM   #3046
Bogative
Graduate Poster

It's time for the midweek round up.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

3 dead, 2 wounded when a 25-year-old male shot and killed his parents after an argument who then shot at arriving police and committed suicide after a car chase and crash.

Washington DC

4 wounded. There are not many details about the shooting so I can say with confidence that it involved no insurrectionist types.

Montgomery, Alabama

1 killed, 3 wounded.
Must've been a statue of a Confederate soldier somewhere nearby that is at fault.

Charleston, South Carolina

5 wounded at a Charleston Housing Authority complex.
Quote:
I think it’s a beef going on between individuals, and it’s going back and forth and it’s not stopping,” Mitchell said. “That’s the sad part about it. Young people are dying, and there is no time to heal from one to the next.

4 mass shootings.

5 dead.

13 wounded.

0 white DVEs pulling the trigger.
Old 31st July 2021, 12:11 PM   #3047
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Davenport, Iowa

4 wounded when a car to car "feud" escalated to gunplay.
Quote:
The other thing I’m going to say, is that I need everybody at all levels of the criminal justice system to understand and hopefully agree, if you commit a crime, using a gun in this city you need to be in jail. The city council just approved a lot of money with the youth assessment center, violence interrupters, crime prevention, many other things, so they are all pieces.
Some midnight basketball would probably prevent this kind of thing.

But Chicago

4 wounded as they were chillin' in the park and some apparent nondescript fella walked up and started shooting.
Old 31st July 2021, 08:24 PM   #3048
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Columbus, Ohio

5 wounded at da club. A woman gets pissed because she can't get her car into the parking lot then
Quote:
Two people then pulled out guns and began firing shots.

Police told 10TV there were 50 to 60 rounds fired and the incident was "likely a drive-by shooting."

At least two suspects were involved in the incident. No physical description for either suspect has been provided.
Is one really needed?

Indianapolis, Indiana

5 shot outside funeral; 4-year-old girl in critical condition.

Argument inside a funeral home turned into an argument outside of the funeral home which then turned into gunplay. A 16-year-old girl was shot as well.
Old 1st August 2021, 05:51 AM   #3049
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Queens, New York

10 wounded.

Two gunmen opened fire on a crowd outside of a laundromat, they escaped on mopeds.

Lexington, Kentucky

5 wounded as they were gathered outside in downtown.
Old 1st August 2021, 08:48 PM   #3050
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Saginaw, Michigan

2 killed, 2 wounded

Large gathering then
Quote:
a shooting occurred when unknown subjects shot at the crowd of partygoers. Four people were struck by gunfire. Two were fatally wounded; Dammess Lamont Remante Patillo, a 44-year-old male of Saginaw and Tamarea Shenille Steward, a 26-year-old female of Saginaw.

New Orleans, Louisiana

5 wounded during a shooting on Bourbon Street. Suspect has been arrested but the police are not releasing information because that would probably be racist.

New Orleans, Louisiana

1 killed, 3 wounded.

15-year-old killed by a 15-year-old. Two 16-year-olds and one adult were wounded. Cops can't be blamed for the this one so nobody really gives a flying ****.
Old 2nd August 2021, 06:29 AM   #3051
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Nacogdoches, Texas

1 killed, 3 wounded.

Shots fired into a crowd at a gathering, arriving police notice a vehicle fleeing the scene and gave chase. After a short pursuit, Anastacia Pettigen, 25, and Jarvis Williamson, 39, were arrested and charged for the murder of 35-year-old Javinsky Lampkin.

Providence, Rhode Island

5 wounded during a 3:30 a.m. shooting in the parking lot of a Popeye's Chicken after a shooter/shooters opened fire.
Old 2nd August 2021, 03:16 PM   #3052
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Columbia, South Carolina

9 wounded in a shooting outside of a children's dance studio that had been rented out for another event.
Old 2nd August 2021, 07:31 PM   #3053
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Weekend round up:

12 mass shootings.

5 killed.

60 wounded.

0 white DVEs pulling the trigger.

Quote:
I said in my address to the joint session of Congress, according to the intelligence community, terrorism from white supremacy is the most lethal threat to the homeland today, not ISIS, not Al Qeada, white supremacist.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:47 PM   #3054
Bogative
Graduate Poster

A surprisingly low number of weekday mass shootings this week.

Greenwood, South Carolina

3 killed and including an 11-year-old, 1 six-year-old wounded.

A fat white piece of **** with a stupid neck tattoo has been arrested.

Urbana, Illinois

1 killed, 3 wounded. At least 60 rounds were fired into the home.

Quote:
A preliminary investigation by police revealed that three [black] men approached the home on foot from the west, walked to the west side of the house and shot repeatedly through the windows and wall.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

4 wounded.

9:45 PM drive-by shooting outside of a popular downtown steakhouse. So popular, this isn't the first drive-by shooting that's happened there.
Old 6th August 2021, 08:37 PM   #3055
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

^ No mentions of MAGA hats. ―\_(ツ)_/―
Old 6th August 2021, 09:47 PM   #3056
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

A surprisingly low number of weekday mass shootings this week.

Greenwood, South Carolina

3 killed and including an 11-year-old, 1 six-year-old wounded.

A fat white piece of **** with a stupid neck tattoo has been arrested.
Sailor's Law of Mass Shootings strikes again.

Quote:
Urbana, Illinois

1 killed, 3 wounded. At least 60 rounds were fired into the home.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

4 wounded.

9:45 PM drive-by shooting outside of a popular downtown steakhouse. So popular, this isn't the first drive-by shooting that's happened there.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 12:37 PM   #3057
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Sailor's Law of Mass Shootings strikes again.

I had not heard of that before, but it is something I had noticed myself while reading through all the incidents at GVA over the past several months.

I would say the higher the death to injury ratio, the more probable the shooter was white. I can only think of a handful of exceptions.
Old 7th August 2021, 01:59 PM   #3058
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

I had not heard of that before, but it is something I had noticed myself while reading through all the incidents at GVA over the past several months.

I would say the higher the death to injury ratio, the more probable the shooter was white. I can only think of a handful of exceptions.
Most mass shootings are committed by blacks but White people generally have better aim.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 06:17 PM   #3059
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Norfolk, Virginia

4 wounded.

Quote:
According to police, at around 2:15 a.m., officers in the area heard shots being fired in the 700 block of Granby Street. When they arrived, they located a crime scene, but could not find any victims.
This is what left-wingers might call an "over policed community."

Nashville, Tennessee

4 wounded in a drive-by shooting.

Quote:
The 26-year-old victim was uncooperative with investigators and said that he was riding around with someone he would not identify
If it wasn't for all these racist police departments more of these crimes would be solved.
Old 7th August 2021, 08:13 PM   #3060
Bogative
Graduate Poster

It wouldn't be normal without at least one over the weekend.

But Chicago

4 wounded in a drive-by.

This shooting was picked up by the systematic system of institutional racism used to oppress you know who, a.k.a. ShotSpotter.
Old 8th August 2021, 11:17 AM   #3061
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Montgomery, Alabama

4 wounded.

Quote:
Then this morning around 12:30, police were called to a hospital where three men and one woman were being treated for gunshot wounds.
I'll assume this involves no white DVEs because this shooting has not been plastered in headlines around the world.

But But Chicago

1 killed, 6 wounded up in da club when a verbal altercation turned into a gunfight. One shooter dead, the other shooter in critical condition. Four others caught in the crossfire.

Brooklyn, New York

4 wounded.

Judging from the crime scene photos, it wasn't MAGA country.

But But But Chicago

5 wounded outside da club when a nondescript male pulled out his gat and started busting caps after he was denied entry.

Washington, DC

4 wounded.

White BMW is a suspect. Strange how often autonomous cars keep committing drive-by shootings in DC.

Last edited by Bogative; 8th August 2021 at 11:19 AM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 01:44 PM   #3062
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Houston, Texas

1 killed, 6 wounded when an argument turned into a gun battle inside da club, outside da club and down the street.

Police have offered no descriptions of the suspects despite there being over 200 people at the location.

New Orleans, Louisiana

4 shot on Bourbon Street, again. The shooting occurred at 2:36 a.m. and police have arrested a 17-year-old suspect. Trayvon Martin was only 17.
Old 8th August 2021, 07:49 PM   #3063
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Brooklyn, New York

4 wounded.

Judging from the crime scene photos, it wasn't MAGA country.

An update on this shooting now that more information is available.

ShotSpotter, a tool of white supremacy – or something – alerted police to the area.

An argument occurred inside a party venue that had as many as 150 people in attendance when a man pulled out a gun and shot one man in the shoulder and another man in the chest and neck.

At some point outside of the venue, three more men were shot inside a car that appeared to be involved in a crash of some sort. One of them was shot in the head, another in the face and chest and the other in the back, chest and arm.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/08/falat-...loody-weekend/

Still no description of the shooter/s.

Quote:
Police are pleading with the public for help following the latest bloody shooting in Brooklyn on Sunday morning which killed two men and left three others injured.
Sad
Old 9th August 2021, 10:53 AM   #3064
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Boston, Massachusetts

1 killed, 5 wounded

ShotSpotter alerted police to the shooting.
Quote:
ANOTHER WOMAN SHOT AND KILLED, THIS TIME IN GANGLAND MASS SHOOTING THAT INJURED FIVE OTHERS.

Flint, Michigan

2 killed, 4 wounded

A gunman opened fire into a large crowd at a social gathering.

Must be something in the water.
Old 9th August 2021, 07:52 PM   #3065
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Weekend totals

12 mass shootings.

53 wounded.

7 killed.

0 RMVE-WSs on the trigger.

Quote:
In recent weeks, domestic violent extremists (DVEs) motivated by various violent ideologies have continued to advocate violence and plan attacks. As of 16 June, racially or ethnically motivated violent extremist-white supremacists (RMVE-WSs) were sharing downloadable links to a publication discussing targeting mass gatherings, critical infrastructure, and law enforcement officers."
Maybe next week.
Old 12th August 2021, 03:51 PM   #3066
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Hold the front page! There's one in England!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58195419

Rumours say at least five dead - a man apparently killed his parents and then left their house and started shooting at random before killing himself.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 05:29 PM   #3067
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Six dead now confirmed - three females, two men and a man believed to be the offender have died.

An MP said one of those killed was under 10 years old.

Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:09 PM   #3068
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Shooter has been named locally as Jake Davison, whose Facebook page says he's a Trump supporter from Phoenix, Arizona (though that may be a fantasy, who knows?). Comments from other people on that page indicate that his family was trying to get him help for his mental health problems, but were unsuccessful.
Old 12th August 2021, 09:49 PM   #3069
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Shooter has been named locally as Jake Davison, whose Facebook page says he's a Trump supporter from Phoenix, Arizona (though that may be a fantasy, who knows?). Comments from other people on that page indicate that his family was trying to get him help for his mental health problems, but were unsuccessful.
An American with mental health problems couldn't get mental health care in the UK, but was able to get his hands on a shotgun with an armload of shells powerful enough to take down large mammals (not likely birdshot)?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:20 PM   #3070
Matthew Best
Philosopher

An American with mental health problems couldn't get mental health care in the UK, but was able to get his hands on a shotgun with an armload of shells powerful enough to take down large mammals (not likely birdshot)?
I don't think he was actually American - from the comments on his Facebook page it looks like he was from Plymouth, but was unusually obsessed with America, and wished he was from there.

Obviously questions will be asked about how he got hold of the weapon and whether he should have been able to do so.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:23 PM   #3071
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Hold the front page! There's one in England!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58195419

Rumours say at least five dead - a man apparently killed his parents and then left their house and started shooting at random before killing himself.
The "American Disease" is spreading.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:26 PM   #3072
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think he was actually American - from the comments on his Facebook page it looks like he was from Plymouth, but was unusually obsessed with America, and wished he was from there.

Obviously questions will be asked about how he got hold of the weapon and whether he should have been able to do so.
Obvious starters for 10

A. There was one in the house already, belonging to another family member

B. He stole it

I'm going with A.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:26 PM   #3073
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

While handguns appear almost impossible to acquire in the UK, shotguns are easier to obtain legally. From Business Insider, may be slightly dated:

Guns you can buy legally in the UK

I'm surprised his Facebook page is still up.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:42 PM   #3074
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

This might sound like a strange question and outside your personal knowledge, but...is that common, to romanticize being American? We have a rare few here that go nuts for East Asian culture, but I can't think of a Yank who claimed to be a Tory and hailed from Liverpool.

Old 12th August 2021, 10:53 PM   #3075
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
While handguns appear almost impossible to acquire in the UK, shotguns are easier to obtain legally. From Business Insider, may be slightly dated:

Guns you can buy legally in the UK

This is why I don't think he would have bought it legally

From your link...
"Shotguns and rifles may be licensed by applying for a certificate through the local police force, according to the government's guide on gun-licensing law.

The local authority will carry out a series of checks — including interviews, criminal-records checks, and a visit to the person's property — before granting permission."

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th August 2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12th August 2021, 11:29 PM   #3076
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
For now, it's here: https://www.facebook.com/jake.davison.756
Old 13th August 2021, 02:21 AM   #3077
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The shooter was a nutter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...youtube-video/

"The suspected Plymouth shooter described being “defeated by life” in videos recorded just weeks before the massacre, as he blamed his troubles on not having a girlfriend.
Jake Davison, a 23-year-old apprentice crane operator, described himself on his YouTube channel as an ‘incel’ and made references to the ‘blackpill’ philosophy to which the radical fringe group subscribes.
An apparent gun obsession was also apparent from a playlist of videos compiled by Davison."

Society is safe when nutters cannot get hold of guns. That is a major reason why the USA has regular mass shootings and the UK hardly ever. The biggest question to be answered is, how did this nutter get hold of a gun?

The Dunblane, Cumbrian and Hungerford mass shootings were by people who had been licensed to possess firearms. The Monkseaton shooting in 1989 involved a male with mental health problems who got hold of his father's gun and shot 15 people, thankfully only killing one of them.

At some point we will find out whether or not the shooter had a licence and where he got the gun from.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:26 AM   #3078
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

According to the BBC, “The last mass shooting in Britain happened in 2010 when taxi driver Derrick Bird killed 12 people in Cumbria.” Eleven years ago. I bet America has had a couple more since the Plymouth shooting.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:31 AM   #3079
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

UK mass shootings;

Hungerford 1987
Monkseaton 1989
Dunblane 1996
Cumbria 2010
Plymouth 2021

Of those shootings, one was in a school, the youngest shooter was 22 years old and of the four we know about, 3 were by people licensed to hold the firearms they used in the shooting.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:58 AM   #3080
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The Plymouth shooter was a firearms licence holder according to police.

https://twitter.com/Fhamiltontimes/s...33902997999616

There will now be an enquiry to ensure all checks were done and whether or not procedures need to be changed.

Edit - he apparently got his licence in 2020 and it is not know if the "pump action" shotgun was his or not. So long as it cannot be fired more than 3 times before being reloaded, a "pump action" shotgun is legal in the UK. A UK shotgun licence holder can have as many shotguns as they want, shotgun licences are not as strict as recording gun details as "Section 1" firearms (rifles and handguns) due to the aristocracy wanting lots of shotguns for grouse shoots.

Last edited by Nessie; 13th August 2021 at 04:17 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events