IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags California politics , Duncan Hunter , politics scandals

Old 22nd August 2018, 02:10 PM   #41
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
I'm also thinking it's his kids. A lot of the expenses I've seen itemized were for the benefit of family in general. The biggest ones appear to be vacations, for example.
How does a kid get access to a campaign account?

Yeah, a kid may have made the selections, but somebody handed the kid a campaign credit card (or the numbers of one). The only way that's possible is if corruption is baked right into the campaign.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 02:17 PM   #42
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I do like an OP that starts with the words "Today's indictments..." when referring to the Trump hangers-on. Just saying.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 02:21 PM   #43
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

What depressed me a bit was seeing the utter consumption involved. I mean, versus capital investment. If I was embezzling, I can't imagine spending it on consumables, y'know? Probably going to prison for stuffed duck decorations.

It's like Brewster's Millions, nothing to show for all that embezzlement.
Agreed, but I'd also call these two "pikers".
This needs a thread and I'm fuzzy on the details but... a school board in Wyoming (?) is finding out what happens when you spend ~$6 million on travel, dining, entertainment, etc.
A quarter mill? Meh.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 02:31 PM   #44
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

What depressed me a bit was seeing the utter consumption involved. I mean, versus capital investment. If I was embezzling, I can't imagine spending it on consumables, y'know? Probably going to prison for stuffed duck decorations.

It's like Brewster's Millions, nothing to show for all that embezzlement.
Well that has always struck me about a lot of high-profile white collar crimes.

The sheer venality, and small amounts stolen.

Regardless of the morals, I wouldn't risk my career (let alone my liberty) for a a fairly small multiple of my annual income ($174k according to google)

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 05:42 PM   #45
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Mr. and Mrs. Hunter had their donors pay for their kids' school tuition and a trip to Italy.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:47 PM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

But.
Old 22nd August 2018, 10:45 PM   #47
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
But.
And?.....
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 10:59 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
But.
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
And?.....
Clinton! Emails! Benghazi!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:36 PM   #49
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I wonder how far the rot in the GOP spreads? How many of them are representing the Kremlin rather than their own constituents?
Pretty damn far.

From a previous post: Predictably, the Russians are gloating over the fact that GOP lawmakers met with their Russian counterparts in a secret room.
@SenJohnKennedy (LA)
@SenShelby (AL)
@SteveDaines (MT)
@SenJohnHoeven (ND)
@SenJohnThune (SD)
@JerryMoran (KS)
@RepKayGranger (TX)
@SenRonJohnson (WI)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:39 PM   #50
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Then there is this bit of disgusting attitude when he's in Congress:

From @NBCNews
“US Justice Dept.: US Rep. Duncan Hunter and his wife indicted by federal grand jury for allegedly converting more than $250,000 in campaign funds to pay for personal expenses and filing false campaign finance records with FEC.”

That’s a lotta vape pens.

Go to the link to see the gif of this ******* blowing smoke into other people's space. What a creep.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:00 AM   #51
fagin
Philosopher

Just to be pedantic, it's not smoke. It's water vapour. There is no combustion.
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:05 AM   #52
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Just to be pedantic, it's not smoke. It's water vapour. There is no combustion.
Usually with nicotine and other chemicals in it.
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:43 AM   #53
fagin
Philosopher

Correct but minimal by the time you breath it out, all the **** is happily absorbed by your lungs.

Or that's the general idea.
Old 23rd August 2018, 04:54 AM   #54
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Correct but minimal by the time you breath it out, all the **** is happily absorbed by your lungs.

I wonder if people who vape realize that fungal infections in the lungs is a thing that can happen to them. It's not as bad as cancer, I guess, but it certainly sounds very gross.
Old 23rd August 2018, 05:52 AM   #55
fagin
Philosopher

Possibly more to due to hygiene than actual vaping, but if you can find a documented case I'll listen.

"Likely, the cause of these cases does have something to do with the use of e-cigarettes, but the e-liquid is not the guilty culprit. Hygiene, or rather lack thereof, is undoubtedly the most probable cause of these cases of mold. An informal study at Tulsa University recently showed that in a small sample of currently used e-cigarette devices, two-thirds of the samples detected the presence of mold, yeast and/or other kinds of bacteria. While the study was too small to be statistically valid, the presence of the bacteria strains is certainly a cause for concern. Dr. Mohammed Fakhry of Tulsa University found the samples he tested “were really full of a good number of bacteria species and also some fungi.” His suggestion is to put more emphasis on cleaning, he says his results are “a good reminder that you have to clean them out because there is high numbers [of bacteria], and even regular non-pathogenic bacteria in large numbers… you don’t know what they can do.”"

https://vapercity.com/blog/do-e-cigs...-in-the-lungs/

Maybe not an unbiased link but this one has a paywall.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/v...ions-fwbr59mbc

Not that I really give a **** as I have terminal cancer anyway. So I'll enjoy whatever **** I want in the meantime.

Edited to add. It does sound a bit gross though.

Last edited by fagin; 23rd August 2018 at 05:53 AM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 06:10 AM   #56
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Well that has always struck me about a lot of high-profile white collar crimes.

The sheer venality, and small amounts stolen.

Regardless of the morals, I wouldn't risk my career (let alone my liberty) for a a fairly small multiple of my annual income ($174k according to google)
I worked for a small company of about 30 people where 3 separate CEOs in a 10 year period were convicted of crimes. All of whom personally profited as much as 10 million dollars. None of them went to prison. The harshest penalty any of the 3 faced was a 1.2 million dollar fine and house arrest in his 3,000 square foot home with an ankle bracelet.

The only remorse I ever saw from any of them was about getting caught.
Old 23rd August 2018, 06:26 AM   #57
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
How does a kid get access to a campaign account?
Duncan or spouse probably set up the Steam account with a campaign expense card.

Yeah, a kid may have made the selections, but somebody handed the kid a campaign credit card (or the numbers of one). The only way that's possible is if corruption is baked right into the campaign.
I wasn't dismissing corruption - I was just saying that Duncan may not have been the person buying the games specifically. This was in response to earlier posts speculating about what sort of games an adult would be playing. I was proposing it was probably the kids, not Dad, who was playing.
Old 23rd August 2018, 06:31 AM   #58
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I worked for a small company of about 30 people where 3 separate CEOs in a 10 year period were convicted of crimes. All of whom personally profited as much as 10 million dollars. None of them went to prison. The harshest penalty any of the 3 faced was a 1.2 million dollar fine and house arrest in his 3,000 square foot home with an ankle bracelet.

The only remorse I ever saw from any of them was about getting caught.
It's a local history story, but I have seen similar: my friend's mom was Faye Leung. She was a real estate developer in Vancouver who defrauded families of tens of millions of dollars in the 1980s. She was a friend of the premier. Ultimately, she was given a few months' house arrest. I saw what that meant in reality: she got to hang around her waterfront mansions (she had several and could travel from one to another, if she got tired of the city or countryside). She won a concession to go on shopping trips 'for groceries' even though she had an army of servants who did that. Thus, she could leave the house pretty much anytime she wanted to go to parties at friends' houses, see musicals, &c.

None of the victims were compensated. Some were bankrupted. I was aghast at the injustice.
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:57 AM   #59
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's a local history story, but I have seen similar: my friend's mom was Faye Leung. She was a real estate developer in Vancouver who defrauded families of tens of millions of dollars in the 1980s. She was a friend of the premier. Ultimately, she was given a few months' house arrest. I saw what that meant in reality: she got to hang around her waterfront mansions (she had several and could travel from one to another, if she got tired of the city or countryside). She won a concession to go on shopping trips 'for groceries' even though she had an army of servants who did that. Thus, she could leave the house pretty much anytime she wanted to go to parties at friends' houses, see musicals, &c.

None of the victims were compensated. Some were bankrupted. I was aghast at the injustice.
Yep. But my bosses weren't even politically connected. Just typical white collar criminals that got caught.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:37 AM   #60
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

In the gif you'll see that there's no inhalation. He's one of the ******** who vape to make big clouds and get into arguments about it. "But I'm not smoking" is equivalent to a kid waving a hand near a sibling and saying "but I'm not touching you."

I've vaped both nicotine and THC and never produced a cloud that was large or even noticeable for more than 3 seconds. People who do are by definition douchebags.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:04 AM   #61
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

In the gif you'll see that there's no inhalation. He's one of the ******** who vape to make big clouds and get into arguments about it. "But I'm not smoking" is equivalent to a kid waving a hand near a sibling and saying "but I'm not touching you."

I've vaped both nicotine and THC and never produced a cloud that was large or even noticeable for more than 3 seconds. People who do are by definition douchebags.
There's a guy at my regular bus stop who vapes, deliberately stands upwind. There's a woman who asked him to maybe just move ten feet and vape on the other side of the shelter, because she has asthma, he said no. It's as if it's a performance or something, needs an audience.

And this isn't a criticism of vaping in general, just that this is one way jackasses have identified to extend the physical acreage of their assholery.

A month ago, I witnessed a different method: dude had a battery powered speaker the size of a car tire on a wheeled cart, just sort of towed it around with him, listening to rap music with the n word at full volume. I could hear it from blocks away. Woman with a toddler asked if he could maybe turn it down, he told her to **** off.

Some people just need to be making everybody around them miserable. I have a feeling it could be compensation for not having any real impact on the world through other aspects of their lives?
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:37 AM   #62
fagin
Philosopher

No argument about douchebags or assholery. It's called cloudchasing, and seems to have become a thing, using really low ohms and really high wattage.

ETA Kind of off topic so before the mods get nasty....

Last edited by fagin; 23rd August 2018 at 10:38 AM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 11:05 AM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Hunter is trying to shift the blame to his wife.
SHades of Mr Bumble the Beadle in Oliver Twist

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 11:08 AM   #64
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Gotta love those family values!
Old 24th August 2018, 11:19 AM   #65
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Was it her rabbit that they paid $600 to get with them on the airline?
Old 24th August 2018, 11:21 AM   #66
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I keep on expecting Hunter to scream: "The Law Is An Ass!"
and complete the Mr Bumble imitation.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2018, 11:25 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Was it her rabbit that they paid $600 to get with them on the airline?
That was a misunderstanding. The rabbit paid for itself with its own credit card. They only bought it a few drinks.
Old 24th August 2018, 01:37 PM   #68
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That was a misunderstanding. The rabbit paid for itself with its own credit card. They only bought it a few drinks.
Was the rabbit named Harvey?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th August 2018, 01:50 PM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Was the rabbit named Harvey?
No, but it had a wonderful life.
Old 24th August 2018, 04:37 PM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, but it had a wonderful life.
Damn, I love your sense of humor.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics