IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags doxxing incidents , internet incidents , Jackson Cosko , politics scandals

Old 7th October 2018, 04:50 AM   #1
applecorped
Banned

Dem staffer faces 50 years in jail for doxxing

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...federal-prison

"The former Democratic congressional staffer who posted personal information about Republican senators online faces nearly 50 years in prison.

Jackson Cosko, a 27-year-old Washington, D.C., resident, was arrested Wednesday by U.S. Capitol Police when he was caught sneaking into the offices of Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., after 10 p.m. Tuesday and using an aide’s computer and log-in.

He was charged with five federal offenses: making public restricted personal information, making threats in interstate commerce, unauthorized access of a government computer, identity theft, and witness tampering."

Can't wait to see who he throws under the bus during his plea deal.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 04:53 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I assume all the leakers in the White House will be treated the same way.
Old 7th October 2018, 04:55 AM   #3
applecorped
Banned

By any means necessary
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 05:02 AM   #4
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I assume all the leakers in the White House will be treated the same way.
Nope. It's only wrong when a librul does it.

When Bart Kavanaugh was part of a hacking scheme, they made him a SCOTUS Justice.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 05:36 AM   #5
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

All he needs to do is prove he is from the same school drinking group as Kava and will now vote Republican and he is home free.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 06:46 AM   #6
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

Excerpt from the article:
"From August until his arrest, Jackson Cosko worked as an unpaid fellow with the office of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas. Prior to that, he worked for roughly 17 months as an aide to Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., and before that was employed by former Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif."
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 07:11 AM   #7
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He's certainly not facing 50 years in prison. Federal judges almost never go for consecutive sentences for these kinds of stacked charges.

I am disappointed that Democrats aren't more vocally condemning this (or maybe they are and it's drowned out by the Kavanagh noise). There's no dirty trick or tactic too low when it comes to hurting Trump and his supporters, provided it's legal. If these charges are true, all sides should condemn this action in the strongest possible terms.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 07:21 AM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He's certainly not facing 50 years in prison. Federal judges almost never go for consecutive sentences for these kinds of stacked charges.

I am disappointed that Democrats aren't more vocally condemning this (or maybe they are and it's drowned out by the Kavanagh noise). There's no dirty trick or tactic too low when it comes to hurting Trump and his supporters, provided it's legal. If these charges are true, all sides should condemn this action in the strongest possible terms.
I don't know enough about it to be honest with you. And I have never heard the term doxxing before.
Old 7th October 2018, 01:58 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't know enough about it to be honest with you. And I have never heard the term doxxing before.
It's an internet term which pretty much just boils down to releasing everything about their life they can find. Usually it includes name, address, phone number, work number, etc.

I think any time the law is broken everyone should condemn it in the strongest terms, no matter political affiliation. Then again, I almost never see the left defending people that break the law.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 02:04 PM   #10
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It's an internet term which pretty much just boils down to releasing everything about their life they can find. Usually it includes name, address, phone number, work number, etc.

I think any time the law is broken everyone should condemn it in the strongest terms, no matter political affiliation. Then again, I almost never see the left defending people that break the law.
50 years seems like an absurd sentence. I've seen killers and rapists get less than 5. It's obviously an issue, but 50 years? Ridiculous.
Old 7th October 2018, 02:06 PM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

50 years seems like an absurd sentence. I've seen killers and rapists get less than 5. It's obviously an issue, but 50 years? Ridiculous.
I concur, and I really don't think it will be 50. Someone stated upthread that it'll run concurrent and with all things said and done, calculate for good behavior and I'd be shocked if he was in there for 3-4.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 02:36 PM   #12
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Seriously? It's cropped up in the Kercher threads more than once.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 05:21 PM   #13
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Excerpt from the article:
"From August until his arrest, Jackson Cosko worked as an unpaid fellow with the office of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas. Prior to that, he worked for roughly 17 months as an aide to Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., and before that was employed by former Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif."
Fellows are not unpaid, they're just paid by someone other than the congressman they work for.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 05:33 PM   #14
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It's a clickbait headline, but the offense is very serious, especially as he's essentially an insider who should know better. We're only a year removed from Steve Scalise (and others). I hope he serves some time.

Let's remember too, he also threatened the staffer for Hassan.

BTW, he's worked for Boxer, Hassan and Lee. Those three might just be the dumbest Democrats in Congress over the last 20 years (although Patty Murray could given them a run).

Last edited by Brainster; 7th October 2018 at 06:31 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 06:35 PM   #15
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He won't get 50 years. If he's found guilty of everything he'll get concurrent sentences. It's just like with Paul Manafort when the news media said he was facing life. He wasn't; he is facing a stiff sentence but he'll get concurrent sentences like this guy will. Terrorists and mass murders get consecutive sentences; this guy will get a few years in minimum security if that.

The AUSA can't go too crazy because DC is the bluest place in the country. The DoJ could risk jury nullification if they try to completely throw the book at him. Remember, juries are made of registered voters and those voters hate Trump; they hate Kavanagh; they hate the Republicans the defendant doxed. They might not approve of what he did but they won't be excited about sending him away for 50 years.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 07:06 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Y'know...

"Democratic staffer" who turns out to be an unpaid fellow (i.e. a part-time "volunteer") breaks into a Dem office and leaks doxxed info on (admittedly dumb) Democrats at the EXACT same time as the Kavanaugh hearing is under way and the GOP are trying to desperately to smear the Dems and divert attention from their boy who is busy shooting himself in the face with his mouth.

Coincidence?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 07:12 PM   #17
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Y'know...

"Democratic staffer" who turns out to be an unpaid fellow (i.e. a part-time "volunteer") breaks into a Dem office and leaks doxxed info on (admittedly dumb) Democrats at the EXACT same time as the Kavanaugh hearing is under way and the GOP are trying to desperately to smear the Dems and divert attention from their boy who is busy shooting himself in the face with his mouth.

Coincidence?
There's very little in the above that is accurate. Perhaps you'd like to try again?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 11:35 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
There's very little in the above that is accurate. Perhaps you'd like to try again?
Nope! Wanted to see if I could start my own CT!

Although (from OP link)...

Quote:
The investigation began on Sept. 27 when it was found the Wikipedia pages of three U.S. senators had been edited to include restricted personal information without their knowledge or permission — information that included home addresses and personal telephone numbers.

Three edits took place nearly in parallel with the high-stakes Senate hearings on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Then, on Oct. 2, according to the affidavit, similar information was posted on the Wikipedia pages of two additional senators.

The senators are not named in the court documents, but the pages of Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Mike Lee and Orrin Hatch, both of Utah, appeared to be edited during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Kavanaugh.

Graham, Lee, and Hatch all sit on the panel and back Kavanaugh.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 7th October 2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 7th October 2018, 11:51 PM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Too bad he didn't dox a CIA officer - SOP in those cases is for the President to pardon you.
Old 8th October 2018, 07:57 AM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Too bad he didn't dox a CIA officer - SOP in those cases is for the President to pardon you.
It's arrogant enough for the president to exercise presidential authority.

It's even more arrogant for a private citizen to entitle themselves to the same privileges we grant the president.
Old 8th October 2018, 08:50 AM   #21
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

We need more people like this guy.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 10:31 AM   #22
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

So let's see: This guy was fired by the Democrats he worked for, arrested and convicted with assistance from the Democrats he worked for, and has been roundly condemned by Democrats.

I like these threads.

They nicely demonstrate the right way to handle these situations compared to how Republicans handle them.

Thanks applecorped!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 11:03 AM   #23
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
They nicely demonstrate the right way to handle these situations compared to how Republicans handle them.
!
It also demonstrates why the Dems will ultimately lose

Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 11:11 AM   #24
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
It also demonstrates why the Dems will ultimately lose
Ultimately lose what?

Other than the race to sell out every principle and ethical standard they've ever claimed to have, I mean.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 11:17 AM   #25
Planigale
Philosopher

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...federal-prison

"The former Democratic congressional staffer who posted personal information about Republican senators online faces nearly 50 years in prison.

Jackson Cosko, a 27-year-old Washington, D.C., resident, was arrested Wednesday by U.S. Capitol Police when he was caught sneaking into the offices of Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., after 10 p.m. Tuesday and using an aide’s computer and log-in.

He was charged with five federal offenses: making public restricted personal information, making threats in interstate commerce, unauthorized access of a government computer, identity theft, and witness tampering."

While I don't want to shift this to a CT thread, this is deeply suspicious. How if he was caught sneaking in did he still use a computer to down load data then edit a wiki inserting the contact details of the senators on their wiki page? Are the Capitol police just much politer than police elsewhere in the US?

"Well sir, you appear to have broken into this office in the senate, and when you have finished illegally using that computer I'm afraid I'll have to arrest you, but please finish the bit of computer hacking you have started." Perhaps he thought he was a Russian friend of the POTUS and it was OK to be hacking a democratic senators computer it was only later that they realised who the target was.

"Hey Joe, you know that guy you saw last night hacking into some liberal senator's computer apparently he doxed some pro-Trump senators giving the public the know how to contact them; you'd better go and arrest him."
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 11:27 AM   #26
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
While I don't want to shift this to a CT thread, this is deeply suspicious. How if he was caught sneaking in did he still use a computer to down load data then edit a wiki inserting the contact details of the senators on their wiki page? Are the Capitol police just much politer than police elsewhere in the US?

"Well sir, you appear to have broken into this office in the senate, and when you have finished illegally using that computer I'm afraid I'll have to arrest you, but please finish the bit of computer hacking you have started." Perhaps he thought he was a Russian friend of the POTUS and it was OK to be hacking a democratic senators computer it was only later that they realised who the target was.

"Hey Joe, you know that guy you saw last night hacking into some liberal senator's computer apparently he doxed some pro-Trump senators giving the public the know how to contact them; you'd better go and arrest him."

It probably refers to this:
Quote:
The affidavit describes how Cosko on Oct. 2 entered Hassan’s office without permission late in the evening and was caught by other staff members, identified as Witness 2 and Witness 3. Hassan is identified as U.S. Senator 7.
The staffers, not being Republicans, did the right thing and immediately notified the authorities:
Quote:
At approximately 10:27 p.m., the U.S. Capitol Police received a call from Witness 2, a staff member for U.S. Senator 7. Witness 2 reported that he/she had entered the senator’s office and observed Cosko in the Senator’s office using the computer of Witness 3, another member of the senator’s staff.
http://www.unionleader.com/crime/for...late=mobileart
Old 8th October 2018, 11:43 AM   #27
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Ultimately lose what?
What they’ve been consistently loosing for the past 25 years; power.

Old 8th October 2018, 11:52 AM   #28
johnny karate

If you say so.

But history is rarely on the side of those defending the status quo. Republicans do not have time or demographics on their side.
Old 8th October 2018, 12:01 PM   #29
Planigale
Philosopher

It probably refers to this:

The staffers, not being Republicans, did the right thing and immediately notified the authorities:

http://www.unionleader.com/crime/for...late=mobileart
I prefer my version; never let the facts get in the way of a good story. I should have been a journalist.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 12:58 PM   #30
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

If you say so.
If I say so? Are you this delusional? The Dems have lost thousands of state legislator seats. Thousands of state judgeships while the republicans have solidified their hold over government at all levels. It’s only a matter of time until they get enough states under control so they can call a constitutional convention (which has been one of their main goals). Meanwhile, you’re worried about BS “principles”.

But history is rarely on the side of those defending the status quo. Republicans do not have time or demographics on their side.
Yes. You are this delusional. All they need is power, if they have that, they can get the time and demographics they need. But hey, you have magic principles, thats way better than power.

Old 8th October 2018, 01:18 PM   #31
johnny karate

If I say so? Are you this delusional? The Dems have lost thousands of state legislator seats. Thousands of state judgeships while the republicans have solidified their hold over government at all levels. It’s only a matter of time until they get enough states under control so they can call a constitutional convention (which has been one of their main goals). Meanwhile, you’re worried about BS “principles”.

Yes. You are this delusional. All they need is power, if they have that, they can get the time and demographics they need. But hey, you have magic principles, thats way better than power.
Perhaps I am naively optimistic, but it keeps me from shouting foaming-at-the-mouth rants at strangers on the internet, so I guess it has its upsides.
Old 8th October 2018, 01:46 PM   #32
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

...but it keeps me from shouting foaming-at-the-mouth rants at strangers on the internet, so I guess it has its upsides.
Not that I’ve seen.

Old 8th October 2018, 03:33 PM   #33
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

Maybe they have but the news media isn't reporting it.

See the reaction by Democrats a couple posts up.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th October 2018 at 03:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 07:21 AM   #34
applecorped
Banned

By any means necessary
Old 9th October 2018, 07:23 AM   #35
Belz...
Fiend God

By any means necessary
Careful what you wish for.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 07:25 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Again, careful what you wish for, because not only are one-party systems pretty damned terrible, but once you're rid of the Democrats, the abandonment of principles in order to stay in power won't be suddenly overturned.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 07:31 AM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

If I say so? Are you this delusional? The Dems have lost thousands of state legislator seats. Thousands of state judgeships while the republicans have solidified their hold over government at all levels. It’s only a matter of time until they get enough states under control so they can call a constitutional convention (which has been one of their main goals).
May I ask what amendment the convention would lead to?

Quote:
Meanwhile, you’re worried about BS “principles”.
Yeah, stupid people who value honesty, rule of law, due process, and forebearance. If only they'd just use any means to get what they want, the world would be a more peaceful and productive place.

Quote:
Yes. You are this delusional. All they need is power, if they have that, they can get the time and demographics they need.
Only if they kill people or kick them out of the country, or do away with elections altogether.

Old 9th October 2018, 09:24 AM   #38
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Again, careful what you wish for, because not only are one-party systems pretty damned terrible, but once you're rid of the Democrats, the abandonment of principles in order to stay in power won't be suddenly overturned.
I don’t know what your point is. I was clearly lamenting the growing power of a single party over another. I don’t want a one-party state or really two-party state. I’ve long thought the US needed more political choice.

Old 9th October 2018, 09:30 AM   #39
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
May I ask what amendment the convention would lead to?
I’m not sure. I’ve heard that the so-called “liberty amendments” would be proposed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Liberty_Amendments

Quote:
Yeah, stupid people who value honesty, rule of law, due process, and forebearance. If only they'd just use any means to get what they want, the world would be a more peaceful and productive place.
I value those things too, but I’m not under any delusions that they really carry any weight.

Quote:
Only if they kill people or kick them out of the country, or do away with elections altogether.
Exactly. I see no reason why they wouldn’t resort to such tactics to consolidate their power.

Old 9th October 2018, 09:37 AM   #40
plague311
Great minds think...

I’m not sure. I’ve heard that the so-called “liberty amendments” would be proposed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Liberty_Amendments

I value those things too, but I’m not under any delusions that they really carry any weight.

Exactly. I see no reason why they wouldn’t resort to such tactics to consolidate their power.
I think the point everyone here is trying to get through to you is that if the Democrats started doing what the Republicans are doing in order to stay in power, I (at least) wouldn't consider myself a member of their party. I refuse to support a party that's entirely corrupt from the bottom up. That shouldn't be a shock to anyone, and you speaking down to anyone that won't support those methods says more about you than anyone you're speaking to.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics