IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Fred Trump , Ivanka Trump , money scandals , politics scandals , Trump controversies

Old 20th October 2018, 07:47 AM   #41
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by River View Post
Convictions?

Oh wait, you mean the case was settled with a clause that says no wrongdoings. I knew that's what you meant.
Then why did he pay?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 07:52 AM   #42
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Convictions?

Oh wait, you mean the case was settled with a clause that says no wrongdoings. I knew that's what you meant.
Oh, please. Desperation. No one will be able to say Trump is guilty. But he's going to lose a lot of Fraud cases. He's a grifter, a tax cheat, he's our President.
Old 20th October 2018, 09:29 AM   #43
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
But every night all the men would come around
And lay their money down.
My immediate thought as well, but "Grifters, Liars and Thieves" fits the schema much better.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 09:31 AM   #44
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah I keep singing the thread title to the tune of that old Cher song in my head, thanks a lot OP.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 09:33 AM   #45
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's so unfair to Gypsies and tramps, associating them with Trump even if every night Putin would come around and lay his money down.

Last edited by Craig4; 20th October 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 09:52 AM   #46
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Oh, please. Desperation. No one will be able to say Trump is guilty. But he's going to lose a lot of Fraud cases. He's a grifter, a tax cheat, he's our President.
You called him and his family criminals. I asked you to support it with facts. You could not. I'll take that as withdrawing your claim.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 09:55 AM   #47
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You called him and his family criminals. I asked you to support it with facts. You could not. I'll take that as withdrawing your claim.
I remember you calling Clinton a criminal.
Old 20th October 2018, 09:57 AM   #48
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Argumentation is a skill. Being argumentative is a sign.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 10:02 AM   #49
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I remember you calling Clinton a criminal.
You are mistaken. What I did say is; the American public has proof of her committing multiple felonies. The proof comes straight from her lips, and James Comeys.

Why wasn't she prosecuted? (hint: there are ongoing investigations to the mishandling of the case - and many have lost their jobs due to that) Why did the state dept lie?

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 10:12 AM   #50
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely NOT. They are criminals that committed crimes. They are just not convicted criminals.

The guy who broke into my home 5 years and stole my flat screen is a criminal and so are the people who stole two of my cars as is the guy who raped a girlfriend. None of these people were tried and convicted for those crimes. That doesn't mean they didn't commit crimes.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:14 AM   #51
River
Illuminator

Absolutely NOT. They are criminals that committed crimes. They are just not convicted criminals.

The guy who broke into my home 5 years and stole my flat screen is a criminal and so are the people who stole two of my cars as is the guy who raped a girlfriend. None of these people were tried and convicted for those crimes. That doesn't mean they didn't commit crimes.
Prove my bold. I think you meant to say, you suspect them of committing crimes, or you feel like they may have.

You are aware you can be sued for libel for making such claims about someone?

Old 20th October 2018, 10:15 AM   #52
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You are mistaken. What I did say is; the American public has proof of her committing multiple felonies. The proof comes straight from her lips, and James Comeys.

Why wasn't she prosecuted? (hint: there are ongoing investigations to the mishandling of the case - and many have lost their jobs due to that) Why did the state dept lie?
The American public now has proof Trump engaged in criminal violations of campaign finance laws and conspiracy to commit same (see Cohen's guilty plea). Are you equally adamant that Trump be prosecuted? You've heard the taped conversations between Cohen and Trump. Should he be prosecuted?
Old 20th October 2018, 10:15 AM   #53
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Jack Rainbow View Post
hi, I don't have anything to contribute and don't want to argue about trump.
Uh-huh. Sure, I believe you.

Quote:
But am not sure why he's accused of being a grifter and a liar.
Because he lies every time he says something in public. Seriously. Every time he's on camera, you can take any single one of his statements, check it, and you have great odds if you bet on it being false.

Quote:
Would you be allowed to call me those names on this site? Probably not, I think you might get a caution.
Trump is not a member of this website, so he's not protected by the membership agreement (MA).

Quote:
So can you give me some evidence of trump's crimes, please?
Nice try. You started with lies, not crimes.

Quote:
You know, like urls to an irrefutable and respected source, or some other kind of verified evidence that he has committed crimes? I promise to read it avidly.
I don't believe you. The above, especially the use of "irrefutable", indicates that you've preemptively given yourself a meant to ignore any evidence that shows you wrong.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 10:16 AM   #54
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Prove my bold. I think you meant to say, you suspect them of committing crimes, or you feel like they may have.

Calm the hell down Matlock.

We're not in a court room. We're not held to legal-ese as our only language.

Old 20th October 2018, 10:19 AM   #55
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah I keep singing the thread title to the tune of that old Cher song in my head, thanks a lot OP.
I have the feeling that some of us are of a certain age. It's not like that song gets played a lot nowadays.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:25 AM   #56
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I could be, they just couldn't win the case. They would have to prove they never committed the crimes. They would have to prove actual malice since they are public figures.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:31 AM   #57
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry Joe. I wasn't thinking of the song. (at least not consciously) But now that you mentioned it, it keeps playing in my head too. It dates us I'm afraid.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:32 AM   #58
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

A president suing for libel? Good luck with that. Sorry, you can't have a full barrel and drunk wife. If you want to sue for libel, don't run for office.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:34 AM   #59
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sorry Joe. I wasn't thinking of the song. (at least not consciously) But now that you mentioned it, it keeps playing in my head too. It dates us I'm afraid.
Funny thing was it came out 8 years before I was born and wasn't one of Cher's signature songs and never really... popped back up in the pop culture that I remember.

Catchy though.

Old 20th October 2018, 10:37 AM   #60
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
A president suing for libel? Good luck with that. Sorry, you can't have a full barrel and drunk wife. If you want to sue for libel, don't run for office.
He seems to have forgotten NY Times v Sullivan. Or the Paul Newman Sally Field movie Absence of Malice.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:39 AM   #61
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

You think maybe the reason Trump doesn't sue anybody is that his tax returns and all his financial records would become subject to discovery, and he and his spawn and his shady associates would be deposed under oath?

Michael Bloomberg stood up in front the Democratic National Convention and called Trump a con man, among other things. Mitt Romney publicly called him a phony and a fraud. And somehow Trump has refrained from suing them, maybe because they can afford better lawyers than he can.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 10:45 AM   #62
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Funny thing was it came out 8 years before I was born and wasn't one of Cher's signature songs and never really... popped back up in the pop culture that I remember.

Catchy though.
I beg to differ that it wasn't one of her signature songs. In fact until maybe 1990, it was thee signature song for Cher along with "I got you babe" but that one was the duet she did with Sonny. But given your age, I can see why you would think it wasn't. Some of us are just older.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:49 AM   #63
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I beg to differ that it wasn't one of her signature songs. In fact until maybe 1990, it was thee signature song for Cher along with "I got you babe" but that one was the duet she did with Sonny. But given your age, I can see why you would think it wasn't. Some of us are just older.
Most probably. I know factually that Cher had a more disco-esque career with Sonny but the "Cher" I grew up with was the more pop rock solo act, "If I Could Turn Back Time" and all that.

Old 20th October 2018, 11:01 AM   #64
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

I'm pretty sure to be a criminal, you have to be guilty of a crime. Can you tell me which family members are guilty and what they are guilty of? Thanks.

Wanting it to be true, does not make it so.
Never mind, the question I had was answered.
He paid 25 million, but that means nothing because he did not admit guilt.

I think finding any evidence that Trump is a good president would be
as difficult as proving Bigfoot.

His supporters are out there faking footprints while he smirks and crosses his arms.

Last edited by snoop_doxie; 20th October 2018 at 11:28 AM.
snoop_doxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 11:09 AM   #65
River
Illuminator

The American public now has proof Trump engaged in criminal violations of campaign finance laws and conspiracy to commit same (see Cohen's guilty plea). Are you equally adamant that Trump be prosecuted? You've heard the taped conversations between Cohen and Trump. Should he be prosecuted?

Link the recordings you speak of. I've not heard them. If Trump is found to be guilty of a crime I've said many times on this forum he deserves the consequences. That goes for all officials, not just him.

Old 20th October 2018, 11:23 AM   #66
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Link the recordings you speak of. I've not heard them. If Trump is found to be guilty of a crime I've said many times on this forum he deserves the consequences. That goes for all officials, not just him.
The standard of performance for a President should be higher than "He hasn't been convicted of a crime (yet)." Trump's desperate fawning over Putin, the Saudis, Duterte etc. should by themselves be disqualifying, and is something we would never have seen from any other Republican leader.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 11:32 AM   #67
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Most probably. I know factually that Cher had a more disco-esque career with Sonny but the "Cher" I grew up with was the more pop rock solo act, "If I Could Turn Back Time" and all that.
I figured. Although I wouldn't call what Sonny and Cher did 'disco'. Those two were of the hippie generation. Say 1965 to 1975. But now we have really gone off topic.
Old 20th October 2018, 11:40 AM   #68
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The standard of performance for a President should be higher than "He hasn't been convicted of a crime (yet)." Trump's desperate fawning over Putin, the Saudis, Duterte etc. should by themselves be disqualifying, and is something we would never have seen from any other Republican leader.
I think River is playing a game. Trying a President is problematic. And Trump commits white man crimes. The kind that rarely see any time being served, just fines and almost always pennies compared to the dollars stolen or cheated out of.

The kind that well paid lawyers and influence has a way of mitigating. The one thing Trump proves is if you are going to steal, steal a lot. The penalties are smaller.
Old 20th October 2018, 12:31 PM   #69
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd say "thanks for the earworm" but I already had it since I saw the OP. I actually saw Sonny and Cher perform the song live when it was a hit. She forgot the words.
Typical liberal appropriating traveler culture. And she also said she was half Native American!
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 12:35 PM   #70
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack Rainbow View Post
hi, I don't have anything to contribute and don't want to argue about trump.
Well then, you have a nice day.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 12:42 PM   #71
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe "Grifters, Gramps and Thieves" would fit the meter better.

ETA:
I think River is playing a game.
Ya think?

He Trump did call on Russian hackers to further compromise the U.S. election process. I keep thinking there's a name for that.

Last edited by Minoosh; 20th October 2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: To my best knowledge, River did not call on Russian hackers to further compromise our elections.
Old 20th October 2018, 01:16 PM   #72
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

ETA:
Ya think?

He Trump did call on Russian hackers to further compromise the U.S. election process. I keep thinking there's a name for that.

Can you please quote that for us all or link the actual speech? Thanks.

Old 20th October 2018, 01:18 PM   #73
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Can you please quote that for us all or link the actual speech? Thanks.
You can look for it if you want a trip down memory lane. We all saw him do it. I'm sure you did as well.
Old 20th October 2018, 01:30 PM   #74
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Then why did he pay?
People who are not guilty pay all the time. To save money from litigation, to avoid the uncertainty in civil cases. Lots of reasons. That doesn’t mean President Trump wasn’t going to rightfully lose
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 01:32 PM   #75
eeyore1954
Philosopher

ETA:
Ya think?

If it’s what I think the name is joke.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 01:33 PM   #76
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The plaintiff would have to prove that the writer knew such claims were untrue. This - "Donald J. Trump Is A Libel Bully But Also A Libel Loser" - is pretty informative. I can't say it's unbiased, since it favors free speech, which Trump loathes, but the cases cited are real.

Trump would love to have a chilling effect on free speech, but so far he hasn't had notable success. Maybe you can police the Internet for him so people stop saying mean things about him (that are in all likelihood true). Then, being (sort of) rich, he can harass people through the courts knowing that they don't have the resources he has to keep the ball in play.
Old 20th October 2018, 01:38 PM   #77
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

You can look for it if you want a trip down memory lane. We all saw him do it. I'm sure you did as well.
Yeah, I have a link. If I thought River were the least bit honest, I'd post it.

Should I post it anyway? Or does this just play into the hands of trolls?
Old 20th October 2018, 01:45 PM   #78
sts60
Illuminator

There was some reference to Kushner’s issues here, but one not mentioned was his repeated lying on an SF-86, including failure to mention his attempt to set up a back channel using Russian embassy comms.

Lying on your SF-86 is a felony. If I’d pulled a fraction of the crap he did on the ones I’ve filled out, I’d be sending postcards from Leavenworth for the next twenty years. Instead, that treasonous little grifter has a security clearance and access to Presidential briefing data. And now he’s clumsily helping his treasonous, grifting father-in-law clumsily help the Saudis cover up the torture and murder of an American resident journalist, in order to protect their personal money chain from the Saudi government.

And there are people, who call themselves Americans, who are OK with that.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2018, 01:47 PM   #79
River
Illuminator

Lets see if one matches the other.

Quote:
Trump did call on Russian hackers to further compromise the U.S. election process. I keep thinking there's a name for that.
Quote:
“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,”

Old 20th October 2018, 02:14 PM   #80
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Screw him. He's just making you do his work. He knows.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics