IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jeffrey Epstein , sex offenders , sex trafficking

Old 6th August 2020, 04:45 AM   #1321
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/bessbell/status/1290678910770765825

Quote:
I hate to disagree with the official position of the president of the United States, but I, for one, do not wish child sex traffickers well.
Old 6th August 2020, 01:27 PM   #1322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But he is the President and it would be wrong for him to repeat allegations or even worse comment on whether anyone is guilty or innocent before a trial!
Old 10th August 2020, 06:14 PM   #1323
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Today is the one year anniversary of Epstein not killing himself!
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:18 PM   #1324
Axxman300
Philosopher

This is a long, well written article:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics..._medium=social

This is probably the best character and historical profile of Epstein I've read. Many of the how and why questions are answered, or at least solidly hinted at. The author made calls to people in Epstein's black book and many talked to him. An interesting cross section of financial people, models, actresses, and artists.

As will all things Epstein this is a complicated piece.

Check it out.
Old 9th October 2020, 03:51 PM   #1325
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

This is probably the best character and historical profile of Epstein I've read. Many of the how and why questions are answered, or at least solidly hinted at. The author made calls to people in Epstein's black book and many talked to him. An interesting cross section of financial people, models, actresses, and artists.

Check it out.
That was fascinating, so thanks for posting it.

I particularly enjoyed this bit:

"To call Epstein a grifter is to assume he circumvented some genuine meritocratic world order, where the “real” virtuosos dutifully climb the “real” ranks into the oligarchy, powered by nothing but their native talents.

The truth is that the elite world that Epstein ascended into, the one I tapped into by way of the black book, is populated with hordes of loathsome, boring, untalented people living their bumbling, idiotic lives while just so happening to wield some share of the preposterous global bounty that he and the rest were after. For all the mystery surrounding Epstein’s fortune, its existence is hardly more inscrutable than the wealth of any of his other billionaire peers. He earned it the same way they all did, which is to say precisely not at all."
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 05:28 PM   #1326
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Check it out.
A very interesting read. I liked the caution:
Quote:
I have been aggressively counseled to remind the readers of Mother Jones that an appearance in the address book is not evidence of any crime, or of complicity in any crime, or of knowledge of any crime.
And I suppose you could add "or attended a party or flew on a plane". Though I'm not sure how far one can go with this.
Old 18th December 2020, 06:09 AM   #1327
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Jean-Luc Brunel arrested in France.

Quote:
A French former model agent accused of procuring underage girls for the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein was detained by French police Wednesday at Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport as he attempted to leave the country. Prosecution sources confirm to CBS News that Jean-Luc Brunel is now being questioned by Paris police and could face a range of sex charges.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey...leged-victims/
Old 21st April 2021, 06:32 PM   #1328
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Jeffrey Epstein's Palm Beach mansion demolished to erase reminder of crimes

Quote:
Jeffrey Epstein's Palm Beach mansion is being demolished in the hopes of cleansing the area of his crimes.

The waterfront property was purchased by a real estate developer for a reported $US18 million ($23 million).

Florida-based developer, Todd Michael Glaser, said it would be personally satisfying to tear the property down and build a new mansion in its place.

'Palm Beach is going to be very happy that it's gone,' he said.
Old 21st April 2021, 08:52 PM   #1329
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Can we get someone to sprinkle some Holy Water on the ruins as well? Can't be too careful.
Old 21st April 2021, 10:12 PM   #1330
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Mar A Lago next, please.
Old 22nd April 2021, 02:50 PM   #1331
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I wonder what the real reason was.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2021, 03:20 PM   #1332
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Because they didn't think it will sell. Building a new mansion will attract younger wealthy pedophiles.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2021, 06:02 PM   #1333
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I think IS the real reason. It's a common practice known as "house flipping"; the property is bought by a speculator for a price far below its nominal value because there is something "wrong" with it - in most cases it's something for more mundane, like the house being too old and in obvious disrepair, out-of-code to a costly degree, or the yard being visibly trashed or poorly drained, etc, but while less common, it's not unprecedented for "the problem" to be a property's connect to a notorious crime. The speculator does whatever they need to do to "fix" the problem (building a completely new house on the property in this case) and then puts the house back on the market, gambling that the increase in the property's value will outweigh the cost of the repair enough to pay a profit.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2021, 06:44 PM   #1334
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I think IS the real reason. It's a common practice known as "house flipping"; the property is bought by a speculator for a price far below its nominal value because there is something "wrong" with it - in most cases it's something for more mundane, like the house being too old and in obvious disrepair, out-of-code to a costly degree, or the yard being visibly trashed or poorly drained, etc, but while less common, it's not unprecedented for "the problem" to be a property's connect to a notorious crime. The speculator does whatever they need to do to "fix" the problem (building a completely new house on the property in this case) and then puts the house back on the market, gambling that the increase in the property's value will outweigh the cost of the repair enough to pay a profit.
I suspect 6bed/7baths is not much of a mansion. Sure, tear it down, put up a palatial residence of double the size. Make money. "Eraseing the reminder" has little to do with the profit except for lowering the purchase price.
Old 22nd April 2021, 06:47 PM   #1335
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I think it's pretty much exactly the same thing as when people don't want to live in a "haunted" house, or wear a murderer's sweater.
Old 22nd April 2021, 07:10 PM   #1336
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I suspect 6bed/7baths is not much of a mansion. Sure, tear it down, put up a palatial residence of double the size. Make money. "Eraseing the reminder" has little to do with the profit except for lowering the purchase price.
I'm pretty sure nobody in the market to buy a mansion wants to buy the mansion of Notorious Pedophile Pimp Jeffrey Epstein. Don't let your cynicism get in the way of your common sense.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2021, 07:48 PM   #1337
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I tend to agree. I've seen places go to ruin for connection with crimes much less notorious than this. People don't want to live in a place that they feel is haunted or has a bad history, and this one is notorious enough that others will always make the connection even if the buyers can live with it. Aside from the comments about creepiness and questions about it all, and the "how could you" stuff, I can imagine that having guests joking about looking for the bathroom and accidentally stumbling on the dungeon, or asking where you keep the adrenochrome, etc. could wear pretty thin.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:01 PM   #1338
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

14,000 sq. feet is pretty substantial, but some press reports say it's smaller than the properties around it. I'm sure the value is mostly the land, not the building.

And in this picture, it looks like they saved the pool and the pool house.
https://nypost.com/2021/04/22/jeffre...en-demolished/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:17 PM   #1339
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I tend to agree. I've seen places go to ruin for connection with crimes much less notorious than this. People don't want to live in a place that they feel is haunted or has a bad history, and this one is notorious enough that others will always make the connection even if the buyers can live with it. Aside from the comments about creepiness and questions about it all, and the "how could you" stuff, I can imagine that having guests joking about looking for the bathroom and accidentally stumbling on the dungeon, or asking where you keep the adrenochrome, etc. could wear pretty thin.
I'm reminded of the eventual fate of notorious Cleveland serial killer Anthony Sowell's house, after the case finished and he was sentenced to prison. The entire neighborhood agitated for the city to take possession of the house and demolish it, which they eventually did - the lot is now a cared-for memorial garden dedicated to Sowell's victims. But even the couple of houses adjacent to Sowell's were never able to find buyers when their owners died or moved on; so there's like two or three just empty, contiguous grass lots in addition to the garden where Sowell's used to be.

It's not that people were afraid of "hauntings" or any such thing; such was the nature of the crimes that had taken place there that the house's very existence became a painful affront to the community.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2021, 05:35 AM   #1340
Armitage72
Philosopher

On NCIS, one of the agents lived in a fancy home that was significantly above his pay grade. It was eventually revealed that he had investigated a murder in that home years earlier in which a man had killed his wife and stuffed her body under the floor. Nobody would buy the home, so he was able to get it for a song, and he didn't mind its history since he had been involved in catching the killer. He used a piano to cover the faint discoloration on the floor where the blood stains had been removed.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2021, 06:18 AM   #1341
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reminded of the eventual fate of notorious Cleveland serial killer Anthony Sowell's house, after the case finished and he was sentenced to prison.

Hadn't heard of that one. It sounds like another notorious case where cops had plenty of notice that something terrible was going on, and just didn't care.
Quote:
The victims who escaped recounted how Sowell transformed into a monster. Some spoke of police officers who didn’t believe their harrowing stories.
https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2019...al-killer.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:20 PM   #1342
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

This seems more like it.

If they razed every house in Palm Beach where underaged girls were molested by creepy rich guys, there probably wouldn't be very many places left standing.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2021, 08:41 AM   #1343
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

This seems more like it.

If they razed every house in Palm Beach where underaged girls were molested by creepy rich guys, there probably wouldn't be very many places left standing.
Yeah, but the notoriety of this one will have a lasting stigma. It will always be Epstein's Place, no matter the new haircut it gets.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2021, 09:16 AM   #1344
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Which is why, instead, they just raze houses where their extreme notoriety (for whatever reason) makes it difficult to sell as-is.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2021, 09:46 AM   #1345
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
14,000 sq. feet is pretty substantial, but some press reports say it's smaller than the properties around it. I'm sure the value is mostly the land, not the building.

And in this picture, it looks like they saved the pool and the pool house.
https://nypost.com/2021/04/22/jeffre...en-demolished/
The excavator is still on-site in the pic. It's possible that they had to clear out the house to be able to access the pool/house area to nuke that out too.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events