IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 1st November 2019, 12:18 PM   #2161
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Aren't all elections the choice between the perceived lesser of two evils? .....
No. I voted for Bill Clinton and Obama without thinking that.

In hindsight, Bill's behavior might have made it the lesser of two evils.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 12:56 PM   #2162
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No. I voted for Bill Clinton and Obama without thinking that.

In hindsight, Bill's behavior might have made it the lesser of two evils.
I never ever cast a vote for President thinking that way. They may have not been my first choice, but I never thought them as evil at the time of voting. I thought Bill slept around, but I could care less about that.

I get what you mean in hindsight. I also did not agree with many of his actually very conservative policies like his drug laws, don't ask, don't tell, getting rid of Glass Steagal.
Old 1st November 2019, 02:37 PM   #2163
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It is not an issue.

If a winning Presidential candidate dies or becomes incapacitated between the counting of electoral votes in Congress and the inauguration, the Vice President elect will become President, Section 3 of the 20th Amendment.

Oh yes! Wow, those founders really thought of everything l! (Thatís a joke!)

Quote:
People don't get this but when we vote for President and Vice President we are actually voting for a slate of electors from the respective States to cast votes for President and VP.
Why donít people get this? I mean, I have known this since what you call high school, but everyone else has seen at least two good examples in recent history of the electoral college and popular vote going different ways. They should have worked it out by now.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 02:58 PM   #2164
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Oh yes! Wow, those founders really thought of everything l! (That’s a joke!)
Good one!

Why don’t people get this? I mean, I have known this since what you call high school, but everyone else has seen at least two good examples in recent history of the electoral college and popular vote going different ways. They should have worked it out by now.
I mean sure, informed people get it. Someone who took and wasn't sleeping during Civics class gets it. But my experience is most people understand that there are electoral votes, they don't know the process.
Old 1st November 2019, 03:12 PM   #2165
angrysoba
Philosophile

Beto has dropped out!!!!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 03:17 PM   #2166
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Beto has dropped out!!!!
Good. Can he run for the Senate or the House?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 03:20 PM   #2167
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Great. And Harris is pulling everything to Iowa, which she will lose and then she can drop out.
Old 1st November 2019, 03:26 PM   #2168
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Good. Can he run for the Senate or the House?
I suspect that running against Comyn is something he has in mind.....
On the other hand, I think he is a definant VEEP possibility.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 03:27 PM   #2169
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Roberto O'Rourke is just the thing.
Old 1st November 2019, 05:20 PM   #2170
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Beto has dropped out!!!!
NOOOOOO!!!!!! My life is ruined!!! And now who's going to convince the gun owners that they should peacefully give up their guns?

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 05:21 PM   #2171
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Unless Mayor Pete knocks it out of the park tonight, can we just go with Biden? Let's not risk four more years of the Stupid Bitch in Chief unless there's an heir apparent to Obama who comes out of this dinner. Let's not forget the main goal here. Biden is three points ahead of Trump in ******* Texas. Eyes on the prize people. Let's not risk four more years on Medicare for all.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...iden-6818.html
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 05:28 PM   #2172
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Unless Mayor Pete knocks it out of the park tonight, can we just go with Biden? Let's not risk four more years of the Stupid Bitch in Chief unless there's an heir apparent to Obama who comes out of this dinner. Let's not forget the main goal here. Biden is three points ahead of Trump in ******* Texas. Eyes on the prize people. Let's not risk four more years on Medicare for all.

Some of us see it differently, don't risk 4 more years of Trump on old uninspiring creepy Joe. The numbers in your link look depressing.

I would go for a third choice at the moment if one emerges. But if not, I'd vote Warren over Biden.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st November 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 1st November 2019, 05:45 PM   #2173
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Some of us see it differently, don't risk 4 more years of Trump on old uninspiring creepy Joe. The numbers in your link look depressing.

I would go for a third choice at the moment if one emerges. But if not, I'd vote Warren over Biden.
It's a mistake to look at a poll today and believe that has any relevance to what a poll would look like a year from now. Joe was leading in Iowa by 10 points just a few months ago. Latest poll there has him in 4th place.
Old 1st November 2019, 05:46 PM   #2174
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

But would an independent voter in the general election?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 05:47 PM   #2175
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's a mistake to look at a poll today and believe that has any relevance to what a poll would look like a year from now. Joe was leading in Iowa by 10 points just a few months ago. Latest poll there has him in 4th place.
4th place among whom, likely democratic caucus goers? Who cares. How do they fair against Trump in a general election? That's the only poll that counts.
Old 1st November 2019, 05:54 PM   #2176
Distracted1
Philosopher

I was feeling that way for a while too. If it meant the greatest chance of defeating Trump, I would be happy to have Biden as a "generic Democrat" President to act as a rubber stamp for the Dems in Congress and to appoint liberal Justices to the Supreme Court.

I am lately having serious doubts about Bidens' ability to complete the race, however.

I think his age may catch up to him too quickly to make it to the finish line ( which is all we really need him to do ).

Buttigieg has been presenting himself as a reasonable proxy for Biden, yet I have concerns about his chances after the hypothetical big kiss he would be planting on his husbands' mouth on stage at the convention after winning the nomination.

Ironically, that brings me "down" to the candidate that I actually prefer for POTUS- Warren.
Old 1st November 2019, 06:04 PM   #2177
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Really, and be honest, who has seen this anything but a Warren/Biden race for months now?

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 06:13 PM   #2178
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Really, and be honest, who has seen this anything but a Warren/Biden race for months now?
Not a lot surprises me anymore. I can imagine a scenario where Biden sinks like a stone. That may already be underway actually.

I've been sort of hoping that would happen, and that Jay Inslee, or Beto (before he went on the fritz), or Booker, or Klobuchar, or Bennet would rise up.

Last edited by varwoche; 1st November 2019 at 06:16 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 06:14 PM   #2179
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But would an independent voter in the general election?
We don't know yet.

Biden is on PBS right now giving the standard Democratic Platform and claiming (of course) that's he's the only one who can blah blah blah blah...

He claims Warren is making the healthcare numbers up, then he goes on to make his own numbers up as if it's a different thing.

As this gets closer to voting, Biden is going to be attacking Warren and pretending Bernie's OK if Bernie isn't a threat at that point.

Gag, he has his hands on a young girl's shoulders again. He looks like he's about to kiss her hair.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st November 2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 1st November 2019, 06:43 PM   #2180
Venom
Philosopher

Beto isn't running for Senate either.

Looks like the campaign against Cruz took the wind out of him a little.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 06:45 PM   #2181
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Gag, he has his hands on a young girl's shoulders again. He looks like he's about to kiss her hair.
Good God, what's wrong with him? A stubborn refusal to change his ways no matter what his campaign advisors tell him about how it appears? Or does he listen to them but keep forgetting their advice?
Old 1st November 2019, 06:47 PM   #2182
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Beto isn't running for Senate either.

Looks like the campaign against Cruz took the wind out of him a little.
Carrots! Oh thank goodness, I finally figured out why I always think of carrots when reading about Beto: I'm thinking of beta carotene. It was in my subconscious the whole time. Whew. That's a relief, it was peculiar.
Old 1st November 2019, 06:48 PM   #2183
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Not a lot surprises me anymore. I can imagine a scenario where Biden sinks like a stone. That may already be underway actually.

I've been sort of hoping that would happen, and that Jay Inslee, or Beto (before he went on the fritz), or Booker, or Klobuchar, or Bennet would rise up.
Inslee is my governor and I like him. But I thought he never had a chance. He's so dull he makes Al Gore seem like Robin Williams.
Old 1st November 2019, 07:02 PM   #2184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Good God, what's wrong with him? A stubborn refusal to change his ways no matter what his campaign advisors tell him about how it appears? Or does he listen to them but keep forgetting their advice?
I suspect he doesn't believe people when they tell him it's an issue.
Old 1st November 2019, 07:09 PM   #2185
SezMe
post-pre-born

Got it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
... (1) drip drip drip of hacked emails down the stretch ...
Which, in my view, was directly attributable to the Rooskies. I have no doubt those same hackers will be at it again, only with more sophistication. There'll be fake pictures and videos that will smear the Dem candidate and be hard to refute once they're all over the GOP echo chamber.

Finally, it is a 100% dead certainty that Dump won't do a damn thing about it.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 07:14 PM   #2186
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
By your definition of "unelectable" perhaps.

I will stick with my own take (which I think is not an uncommon one) that almost getting elected (otherwise described as "losing") over the weakest candidate your opponents have ever run is more evidence of un-electability than electability. Especially in the context of this discussion.
Remember, there were at least two factors well outside of HRC's control that affected the election including (per varwoche), the email scandal that the Russians conducted and the utter incompetence of Comey. Neither of those factors plus others can be used to establish her inherent electabiliy.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 07:33 PM   #2187
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Another possibility is that the Senate votes to dismiss the articles of impeachment, and there's no trial. Wouldn't it be weird of some of the candidates voted to dismiss, so they could stay on the campaign trail instead?
Can they actually do that. A jury can't hear a case then tell the judge, "Nope, not gonna decide this one."

With Moscow Mitch in the wheelhouse, it is possible that he would drag the whole thing out as long as possible for that very reason. On the other hand, what's to prevent Sanders and Warren telling Mitch their vote is Yes and just hit the campaign trail.
Old 1st November 2019, 07:34 PM   #2188
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If Donald Trump can do the the job, then probably any Acting President could do the job.
Assumes facts not in evidence.
Old 1st November 2019, 07:42 PM   #2189
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I suspect that running against Comyn is something he has in mind.....
On the other hand, I think he is a definant VEEP possibility.
Gawd, I hope not. From where I sit, he's an empty suit.
Old 1st November 2019, 08:39 PM   #2190
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Can they actually do that. A jury can't hear a case then tell the judge, "Nope, not gonna decide this one."

With Moscow Mitch in the wheelhouse, it is possible that he would drag the whole thing out as long as possible for that very reason. On the other hand, what's to prevent Sanders and Warren telling Mitch their vote is Yes and just hit the campaign trail.
Because the Senate rules wouldn't allow that. And I really doubt Mitch wants to drag this out.
Old 1st November 2019, 09:29 PM   #2191
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

He doesn't care about the Senate's rules. He writes the schedule, so anything he doesn't want to deal with doesn't get on the schedule.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 09:31 PM   #2192
Venom
Philosopher

Joe Manchin seems to be leaning towards Trump if it comes down to Sanders vs. Trump. He hesitated nervously on television for a couple seconds there.

How very very sad. It's voters like him who ruin our chances.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 09:38 PM   #2193
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
He doesn't care about the Senate's rules. He writes the schedule, so anything he doesn't want to deal with doesn't get on the schedule.

There are very specific rules on impeachment. This isn't some bill he can bury. There will be at least an attempt to have the process look fair. My guess, is that Mitch will try to have the process go as quickly as possible to put it in the rearview mirror.
Old 1st November 2019, 10:26 PM   #2194
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There are very specific rules on impeachment. This isn't some bill he can bury. There will be at least an attempt to have the process look fair. My guess, is that Mitch will try to have the process go as quickly as possible to put it in the rearview mirror.
At some point a SCOTUS judge will oversee the procedure, not McConnell. It will probably be Roberts.

I hope the Democrats challenge the bribing of the Senators.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st November 2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 1st November 2019, 10:59 PM   #2195
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

We ain't seen nuthin' yet.
Small note - You said "start." But yeah, they're fairly certainly going to keep ramping it up and accusing socialism of the ills that totalitarianism brings. The ills that race supremacy brings. The ills that they're bringing.

I suspect he doesn't believe people when they tell him it's an issue.
He's also rather aged. Chances are far too good that it's not especially easy for him to change some of his ingrained habits.

Anyways... I think I'll poke at a couple things here.

How Health Insurance Industry Will Lie and Attack Liz Warrenís Medicare for All, by Wendell Potter

There's a number of rather specific predictions from a person who was in a position to know the tactics, by the look of it.

Democratic Party launches unity campaign a year ahead of 2020 elections

It's good that they're doing this, regardless!
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:50 AM   #2196
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump says Beto O'Rourke 'quit like a dog'

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has ridiculed Beto O'Rourke just hours after the Democratic presidential hopeful ended his campaign.

The president used a profanity to describe his rival and said he "quit like a dog".
Quote:
Mr Trump's response came days after he said Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had "died like a dog" during a US military operation in north-western Syria.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:55 AM   #2197
Distracted1
Philosopher

Like a "perfect" dog?
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:43 AM   #2198
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

At some point a SCOTUS judge will oversee the procedure, not McConnell. It will probably be Roberts.

I think the Chief Justice presiding is mandated by the Constitution, so definitely Roberts.

In other news, I am having a very hard time getting interested in this campaign. It's still a year to the election, after all, but mostly I'm just not able to generate much enthusiasm for the candidates.

I think last cycle at this time I was live-blogging the R debates on the forum!
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:43 AM   #2199
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, it WILL BE ROBERTS. That is unless he gets hit by a truck. The impeachment trial is presided over by the Chief Justice.

Ninja'd by Trebuchet.

Last edited by acbytesla; 2nd November 2019 at 07:44 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:06 AM   #2200
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
What does Trump have against dogs?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics