IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ufos

Old 19th September 2019, 07:59 AM   #1
MEequalsIxR
Muse

US Navy Acknowledges Unidentified Aerial Phenomena/DoD confirms leaked video is real

It seems a series of classified US Navy videos have been leaked over time showing purported UFO's (which the Navy has reclassified as Unidentified Aerial Phenomena). Probably a more accurate term since most people seem to think the term UFO means alien spacecraft which is not the case it just means something unidentified appears to be airborn.

To be clear I do not believe whatever the Navy films show are alien spacecraft. Regardless if the phenomenon can be identified or will remain undetermined it is an interesting turn of events.

Quote:
The US Navy has for the first time confirmed that a set of eerie, grainy videos that appear to show UFOs flying through the sky are indeed real – and contain phenomena the military still cannot identify.

The sensational footage in question – which began appearing in media outlets including The New York Times from December 2017 onward – was captured by US Navy pilots ...
https://www.sciencealert.com/us-navy...eant-to-see-it

It's a sword they're not meant to safe.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 08:03 AM   #2
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The good ol' "highly trained observers" line. Gets 'em every time.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 08:18 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Let's all agree that the flash of light they saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 08:21 AM   #4
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Let's all agree that the flash of light they saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
In front of the full moon.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:29 AM   #5
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
In front of the full moon.
but with aliens
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 08:33 AM   #6
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
but with aliens
Isn't there a bridge somewhere missing you?
Old 19th September 2019, 07:48 PM   #7
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR View Post
To be clear I do not believe whatever the Navy films show are alien spacecraft.
It is important to check the provenance of every video as forged Navy videos have been swapped for the real videos.

Tom Delonge ( ex-Blink 182 rock band), Chris Mellon and Luis Elzondo set up an entertainment company called "To the Stars Academy" which produced a "UFO's are real" TV show, currently on the History Channel, called "Unidentified". They are trying to gain publicity.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10016814

They are trying to raise $30,000,000 from UFO fans to make more shows.
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ular_FINAL.pdf

The "Navy videos" handed to the New York Times in 2017 were not from the Navy at all all, but enhanced forgeries handed over by three blokes in a hotel room.

Harold Puthoff (Who did not work for the CIA as claimed. Instead he was a Scientologist and destroyed by James Randi for stating Uri Geller has remote viewing skills at Stanford University, when in fact the CIA closed "Stargate" as a complete failure. Harold Puthoff was running his UFO chasing business, using remote viewing, Earth Tech International and seeking donations until this business failed.)

Chris Mellon (Who is actually a director of the private UFO chasing company, UFO DATA and not a government employee at all. He was also seeking donation to chase UFOs.)
http://www.ufodata.net/

Luis Elizondo.

It is actually a con, to take in money using the new vehicle "To the Stars Academy".
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 07:50 PM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

It would be irrational to suggest that there have never been any objects that remained unidentified.
Old 20th September 2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Venom
Philosopher

It's a flying insect.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:07 AM   #10
8enotto
Master Poster

From viewing the Tercer Millenia program with a highly critical eye, which has been featuring that same video as valid government footage, I had to doubt.

I knew military pilots. They aren't believing in stuff they can't kill. The mindset is different than portrayed.

What I came to ' lean toward ' was a video of something being misinterpreted, by someone who didn't understand how thermal imaging captures stuff. What it doesn't ' see ' is the craft in its full size. It sees the hot spots, the engine.

Last edited by 8enotto; 23rd September 2019 at 08:09 AM.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 09:09 PM   #11
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
It is important to check the provenance of every video as forged Navy videos have been swapped for the real videos.

Tom Delonge ( ex-Blink 182 rock band), Chris Mellon and Luis Elzondo set up an entertainment company called "To the Stars Academy" which produced a "UFO's are real" TV show, currently on the History Channel, called "Unidentified". They are trying to gain publicity.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10016814

They are trying to raise $30,000,000 from UFO fans to make more shows.
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ular_FINAL.pdf

The "Navy videos" handed to the New York Times in 2017 were not from the Navy at all all, but enhanced forgeries handed over by three blokes in a hotel room.

Harold Puthoff (Who did not work for the CIA as claimed. Instead he was a Scientologist and destroyed by James Randi for stating Uri Geller has remote viewing skills at Stanford University, when in fact the CIA closed "Stargate" as a complete failure. Harold Puthoff was running his UFO chasing business, using remote viewing, Earth Tech International and seeking donations until this business failed.)

Chris Mellon (Who is actually a director of the private UFO chasing company, UFO DATA and not a government employee at all. He was also seeking donation to chase UFOs.)
http://www.ufodata.net/

Luis Elizondo.

It is actually a con, to take in money using the new vehicle "To the Stars Academy".
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

April 2020: The Pentagon has now confirmed the Navy’s declassified UFO videos as authentic!! I would like to add the UFOs in those video were not drones.

Last edited by skyeagle409; 27th April 2020 at 09:11 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 09:20 PM   #12
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR View Post
It seems a series of classified US Navy videos have been leaked over time showing purported UFO's (which the Navy has reclassified as Unidentified Aerial Phenomena). Probably a more accurate term since most people seem to think the term UFO means alien spacecraft which is not the case it just means something unidentified appears to be airborn.

To be clear I do not believe whatever the Navy films show are alien spacecraft. Regardless if the phenomenon can be identified or will remain undetermined it is an interesting turn of events.

https://www.sciencealert.com/us-navy...eant-to-see-it

The UFOs exhibited advanced technology unknown to mankind.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2020, 09:36 PM   #13
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

April 2020: The Pentagon has now confirmed the Navy’s declassified UFO videos as authentic!! I would like to add the UFOs in those video were not drones.
Just because they were not drones does not mean that they were alien spacecraft. The fact that we don't know what they were doesn't mean that we can say that we know what they were. They were unidentified. That's all we can say.

No they didn't.
Old 28th April 2020, 01:47 AM   #14
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

I wonder what that was! This one keeps coming back every 6 months or so. CNN just had something today
Old 28th April 2020, 02:06 AM   #15
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Is that you Alex?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2020, 05:53 AM   #16
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Here’s an article from The Skeptic that I bookmarked some time ago on situation:

https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room...-media-frenzy/
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2020, 07:39 AM   #17
Wudang
BOFH

As reported in the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...o-videos-video
Old 28th April 2020, 07:56 AM   #18
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
]No they didn't.
Circumstantial evidence does suggest something odd. That being no obvious heat signatures. Whether it's advanced tech unknown, who knows?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2020, 08:04 AM   #19
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
From viewing the Tercer Millenia program with a highly critical eye, which has been featuring that same video as valid government footage, I had to doubt.

I knew military pilots. They aren't believing in stuff they can't kill. The mindset is different than portrayed.

What I came to ' lean toward ' was a video of something being misinterpreted, by someone who didn't understand how thermal imaging captures stuff. What it doesn't ' see ' is the craft in its full size. It sees the hot spots, the engine.
FLIR is rather good a capturing detail as long as the aircraft is not below the resolution limit. Beyond that limit only hotspots are onserved. One of those objects was well within the resolution limit.

For example.
http://https://youtu.be/5E7onF1c_T0

Last edited by Steve001; 28th April 2020 at 08:08 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2020, 08:40 AM   #20
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

One genuinely interesting thing I read about these videos, but can't now find, discussed the glowing central object, which looks plausibly like some optical flare caused by its target being bright, but which curiously revolves at times. The suggestion was that this rotation was an artefact of the sensor, which sometimes rotates in order to swivel to the right orientation to track its target. Can anyone else recall that? Pretty sure it was at least linked from here.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2020, 08:57 AM   #21
StillSleepy
Muse

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
One genuinely interesting thing I read about these videos, but can't now find, discussed the glowing central object, which looks plausibly like some optical flare caused by its target being bright, but which curiously revolves at times. The suggestion was that this rotation was an artefact of the sensor, which sometimes rotates in order to swivel to the right orientation to track its target. Can anyone else recall that? Pretty sure it was at least linked from here.
There's a number of threads on Metabunk regarding this footage, including the rotating sensor.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2020, 03:24 PM   #22
Thor 2
Philosopher

Looks like a garage dwelling dragon to me - the non invisible kind. They have to change garages at times.
Old 28th April 2020, 05:51 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Circumstantial evidence does suggest something odd. That being no obvious heat signatures. Whether it's advanced tech unknown, who knows?
The evidence shows no technology of any kind, just unidentifiable blurs. That there should be heat signatures is an unjustified assumption. That what we are seeing is even odd is an unjustified assumption.

This is why these ended up in the "unidentified" category. Unidentified by definition means that we can't know what properties whatever we are seeing has.
Old 28th April 2020, 05:59 PM   #24
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Are you talking about this?:-

Pentagon releases three UFO videos taken by US navy pilots
Quote:
The three videos show what the pilots saw during training flights in 2004 and 2015... Two navy fighter pilots found an oblong object hovering above the water. It then flew quickly away. “It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen,” one of pilots, Cmdr David Fravor, told the NYT.
Whenever you see this, you know that the 'object' is just reflected light.

I have seen an actual UFO close up, when I was child. The whole class saw it including the teacher. It was reported in the local newspaper with a drawing done by a friend of mine, and even reported to the Air force for Project Bluebook. I wasn't present at the time, but I did see it later. And yes, it was just a normal (man made, not alien) aircraft. How did I know it was the same craft? My friend's drawing was surprisingly accurate for a 7 year old, so it was instantly recognizable to someone who knew what that aircraft looked like.

Similarly, to someone who knows what a normal light (such as the sun or fishing lights) can look like when reflected off clouds or water etc., 'It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen' is instantly recognizable as an accurate description of the effect. No need to make up stories about an 'advanced technology unknown to mankind'!
Old 28th April 2020, 06:22 PM   #25
Steve001
Graduate Poster

The evidence shows no technology of any kind, just unidentifiable blurs. That there should be heat signatures is an unjustified assumption. That what we are seeing is even odd is an unjustified assumption.

This is why these ended up in the "unidentified" category. Unidentified by definition means that we can't know what properties whatever we are seeing has.
I did not say anything you assume. I said circumstances seem odd.
Old 28th April 2020, 07:53 PM   #26
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I did not say anything you assume. I said circumstances seem odd.
But odd according to what standard? Odd for an aircraft? Or odd for a trick of the light? They are two very different things.
Old 28th April 2020, 10:06 PM   #27
xjx388

Those military sensors picked up something that is unexplainable. I don't see how it's reflected light or anything ordinary like that -I think the military could have figured it out by now if it was. They look like objects. They do strange things.

I am not, by any stretch, saying they are aliens. But they are something. What?
Old 28th April 2020, 11:05 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Those military sensors picked up something that is unexplainable. I don't see how it's reflected light or anything ordinary like that -I think the military could have figured it out by now if it was. They look like objects. They do strange things.

No-one knows. The military's best experts have come up stumped. I doubt it would even be possible to find out what they were given the paucity of evidence.

Therefore absolutely no conclusions can be drawn. None. We can speculate as much as we like, but they will remain unknown.

And that's okay.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:55 AM   #29
Deadie
Scholar

FLIR is rather good a capturing detail as long as the aircraft is not below the resolution limit. Beyond that limit only hotspots are onserved. One of those objects was well within the resolution limit.
Which one?
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2020, 04:44 AM   #30
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Deadie View Post
Which one?
The only vid I'm referring to is the one where [i]t is described as a "Tictac". Specifically the part of the vid which shows the object in close proximity.

http://https://youtu.be/60ZJQ4I7_3M
Old 29th April 2020, 04:55 AM   #31
Steve001
Graduate Poster

But odd according to what standard? Odd for an aircraft? Or odd for a trick of the light? They are two very different things.
The standard that it does not resemble any known aircraft. Keep in mind the pilot described it as resembling a "Tictac". Perhaps it's some experimental aircraft.
Old 29th April 2020, 04:55 AM   #32
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

Unexplained, not unexplainable.
Old 29th April 2020, 05:03 AM   #33
Garrison
Philosopher

Watched all three clips and my reaction is, so what? I don't see anything exotic, I don't see any reference points to judge size or distance, I don't see any inexplicable behaviour. I just see three poor quality video clips with some indeterminate shape in them. Yes they are UFOs, because there is insufficient detail in the videos to determine anything about them.
Old 29th April 2020, 05:12 AM   #34
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

The most frustrating thing about that video for me is the unexplained jumble of info it contains, parts of which may or may not be related to each other. We see the bright "spinning top" shaped thing, which sometimes rotates. Okay, that seems plausibly like an object that's bright in infrared, like a plane's exhaust, which flares out the camera, and the rotation is in the camera, not the target. But we also hear the aircrew discussing an object: are they talking about the same thing we're seeing or something else? Is the audio even contemporary with the video? They talk about a whole fleet of objects; we don't see that. We do see a cut to a wide view down towards the sea, but what's that showing us and what camera is it?
I can't tell if the "spinning top" which ufo fans are so excited about is actually the least significant part of the whole clip. For all I know it might be a friendly aircraft they're tracking and the tictac discussion is about something else they're looking at.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2020, 10:16 AM   #35
Steve001
Graduate Poster

The most frustrating thing about that video for me is the unexplained jumble of info it contains, parts of which may or may not be related to each other. We see the bright "spinning top" shaped thing, which sometimes rotates. Okay, that seems plausibly like an object that's bright in infrared, like a plane's exhaust, which flares out the camera, and the rotation is in the camera, not the target. But we also hear the aircrew discussing an object: are they talking about the same thing we're seeing or something else? Is the audio even contemporary with the video? They talk about a whole fleet of objects; we don't see that. We do see a cut to a wide view down towards the sea, but what's that showing us and what camera is it?
I can't tell if the "spinning top" which ufo fans are so excited about is actually the least significant part of the whole clip. For all I know it might be a friendly aircraft they're tracking and the tictac discussion is about something else they're looking at.
See this interview. Apparently the pilots are all referring to the "tictac" shaped object. Please don't assume I'm endorsing his final speculation. Just in case that came to mind http://https://youtu.be/EDj9ZZQY2kA

Last edited by Steve001; 29th April 2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:26 PM   #36
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

See this interview. Apparently the pilots are all referring to the "tictac" shaped object. Please don't assume I'm endorsing his final speculation. Just in case that came to mind http://https://youtu.be/EDj9ZZQY2kA
Well, it's an intriguing story but the manoeuvres he describes aren't performed by whatever that thing is in the video.
Old 29th April 2020, 02:15 PM   #37
Garrison
Philosopher

Well, it's an intriguing story but the manoeuvres he describes aren't performed by whatever that thing is in the video.
Yeah in two of the clips the 'object' doesn't seem to do much and in the third it just moves in a straight line, there's nothing extraordinary on show. All the video proves is they saw something on their display. I suspect the USAF kept it secret to avoid revealing any possible performance issues with the equipment.
Old 29th April 2020, 03:11 PM   #38
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

When I read about impossible (at least for known aircraft) accelerations or velocities, I'm much more inclined to see that as a sign that whatever was seen wasn't real (optical illusion if visual, instrumental artifact of some kind if radar or other instruments), than I am to think that it is the result of some extraterrestrial supertech.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2020, 03:18 PM   #39
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

The video I saw, had an idiot said they are going against the wind... the dumbest thing to say when we are flying. Aircraft fly in the air. Who said against the wind.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2020, 03:21 PM   #40
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

And what was that? That is funny, there is no evidence for that BS.

What advanced technology?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal