IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ufos

Old 24th May 2021, 07:08 PM   #361
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
No.They're the chrome plated helmets of the invisible, kilometres tall, fae.....

Ah, the Scareships.
There's always something scary in the sky!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 07:12 PM   #362
zorro99
Graduate Poster

The WaPost article linked makes clear that the US government has been investigating this phenomena since the 50s. From what I have read, the government isn’t covering up anything; it has no more clue as to what this phenomena is than any of us do.
Old 24th May 2021, 07:20 PM   #363
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
The WaPost article linked makes clear that the US government has been investigating this phenomena since the 50s. From what I have read, the government isnít covering up anything; it has no more clue as to what this phenomena is than any of us do.
It's not a single phenomenon. Unless you count being unable to identify something as a phenomenon, which is so vague as to be practically useless as a definition. Many different things can count as a UAP - the only unifying criterion being that they are unidentified. If identified, sometimes it's Venus, sometimes it's an optical illusion, sometimes it's a distant airliner distorted by atmosphere, sometimes it's something else.

What we can say for sure is that in no case where an aerial phenomenon has actually been identified, it has been an alien spaceship.
Old 24th May 2021, 07:42 PM   #364
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That said, I'm sure the US government - and pretty much every other government with an air force - absolutely has been investigating the causes of failure to identify flying objects, and how to mitigate them. Because, well, duh. Hell, I bet the USAF and the FAA each have their own parallel investigation programs, and routinely compare notes. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the major airlines also investigates this stuff.

Last edited by theprestige; 24th May 2021 at 07:43 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 08:21 PM   #365
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That said, I'm sure the US government - and pretty much every other government with an air force - absolutely has been investigating the causes of failure to identify flying objects, and how to mitigate them. Because, well, duh. Hell, I bet the USAF and the FAA each have their own parallel investigation programs, and routinely compare notes. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the major airlines also investigates this stuff.
The military in particular has a very serious interest in endeavouring to identify every incursion into controlled airspace. One UAP might be a false radar echo. The next might be an enemy drone. Of course the military is going to be interested.
Old 25th May 2021, 01:15 AM   #366
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
The WaPost article linked makes clear that the US government has been investigating this phenomena since the 50s. From what I have read, the government isn’t covering up anything; it has no more clue as to what this phenomena is than any of us do.
Not....really.

The military basically stopped seriously investigating UFOs in the 50's. More specifically, beginning in the 90's a series of UFO-study programs have been effectively forced on the largely uninterested military by senators with a couple of very wealthy and influential UFO-enthusiast campaign-contributors. In the Navy "drones" thread, which is basically about the same exact subject as this thread (and may as well be merged, frankly), I have linked to an op-ed piece that goes over this timeline.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 02:16 AM   #367
Monica 56
Scholar

The main sources for this 'narrative' are the Navy and WaPo -- add CNN and you would have the ultimate in Scam Artists from the Federation of CIA Muck Spreaders .

The Covid hoax is close to its inevitable collapse --- asymptomatic spreaders are a myth and the PCR test is meaningless .

An Alien invasion has been mooted as the Deep State's final False Flag stunt to create universal hysteria and panic for at least the last 40 years .

The narrative is now being cranked and the Gullibles are swallowing it .
I wonder how many UAPs are plasmoids --- natural and/ or created ?
Monica 56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 02:28 AM   #368
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
There's always something scary in the sky!
True. Bloody seagulls.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 02:30 AM   #369
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Monica 56 View Post
The main sources for this 'narrative' are the Navy and WaPo -- add CNN and you would have the ultimate in Scam Artists from the Federation of CIA Muck Spreaders .

The Covid hoax is
Off topic conspiratorial drivel.
close to its inevitable collapse ---
Off topic conspiratorial drivel.
asymptomatic spreaders are a myth and
Off topic conspiratorial drivel and a rather stupid lie.
the PCR test is meaningless .
Yet more off topic conspiratorial drivel and another stupid lie.

An Alien invasion has been mooted as the Deep State's final False Flag stunt to create universal hysteria and panic for at least the last 40 years .

Does you actually know what a plasmoid is?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 03:59 AM   #370
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
>drivelsnip<

You should talk to Bubba. He says we need a narrative, so we can understand the 'join the dots with paranoid pareidolia' game you guys like to play. Otherwise, it just looks like rambling insanity.
It has been noted that, without said narrative, the glaring absence of evidence for the claims in the various videos cited by your ilk is, well, glaring.
The same could also be said about your recent posts here.
Do you have any narrative-free evidence for any of your claims?
Old 25th May 2021, 05:48 AM   #371
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Exactly! Very well done. Nicely sarcastic.

"What things look like in infrared is not the same as they look like in reality".

There was an incident back around 2004 in which the Mexican government released a video showing a string of mysterious ball-shaped UFOs that the Mexican Air Force had recorded with their IR cameras. They turned out to be gas flares from off-shore oil wells.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 10:51 AM   #372
Apathia
Philosopher

True. Bloody seagulls.
And the Moon!
I was afraid of it when I was a toddler.

And you better fear Venus!

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 01:09 PM   #373
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Covid hoax is close to its inevitable collapse --- asymptomatic spreaders are a myth and the PCR test is meaningless .

This what happens when you take "The X Files" too seriously.
I love the show, but I don't take it seriously...and neither did the creators, who occasionally would put in some "hey, don;t take this seriously" bits.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 04:12 PM   #374
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This what happens when you take "The X Files" too seriously.
I love the show, but I don't take it seriously...and neither did the creators, who occasionally would put in some "hey, don;t take this seriously" bits.
Nevertheless. at the time there was still a small community of people who insisted that the show was the government's way of letting on that aliens were really real for true we promise.

Why they chose the medium of a fictional TV show to do so is beyond me.
Old 25th May 2021, 05:33 PM   #375
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Nevertheless. at the time there was still a small community of people who insisted that the show was the government's way of letting on that aliens were really real for true we promise.

Why they chose the medium of a fictional TV show to do so is beyond me.
I remember hearing similar claims that the movie ET was preparing us for their arrival.
Old 25th May 2021, 05:40 PM   #376
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I remember hearing similar claims that the movie ET was preparing us for their arrival.
Yes, and again the question of why they would choose the medium of fiction was chosen is baffling.
Old 25th May 2021, 08:35 PM   #377
Pope130
Illuminator

Piker. They were saying the same thing about "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (the original, not the awful remake).
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 11:00 PM   #378
Thorkil2
Scholar

I love the subtlety of misdirection. The only thing the military has admitted is that the images were taken by military personnel. There is no information content in that admission that tells us anything about what we are seeing. As for impossible maneuvers, the laws of physics still hold. Inertia is inertia, so it seems more appropriate to speculate about something like known or unknown aerial electrical phenomena that don't break the laws of inertia and acceleration than to speculate about unknown technologies that do. Which is more likely?
Thorkil2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 11:12 PM   #379
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thorkil2 View Post
I love the subtlety of misdirection. The only thing the military has admitted is that the images were taken by military personnel. There is no information content in that admission that tells us anything about what we are seeing. As for impossible maneuvers, the laws of physics still hold. Inertia is inertia, so it seems more appropriate to speculate about something like known or unknown aerial electrical phenomena that don't break the laws of inertia and acceleration than to speculate about unknown technologies that do. Which is more likely?
Yes, I was thinking while I was listening to the recent episode of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast where they talked about the 60 Minutes show that the most appropriate way of investigating UAPs was to start by assuming that despite appearances, the laws of physics are not being broken, and trying to explain what could cause the observed phenomenon on that basis.

A distant aircraft in the night sky is travelling towards you and appears motionless. Then it changes course. To all appearances a stationery object suddenly shot off in an odd direction. But no laws of physics were broken.
Old 25th May 2021, 11:48 PM   #380
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

My favourite example of that was a report discussed here of an aircraft doing impossible maneuvers over a distant lake which, upon examination, turned out to almost certainly be a firefly doing its mating display flight a few feet away.
Old 26th May 2021, 03:02 AM   #381
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
My favourite example of that was a report discussed here of an aircraft doing impossible maneuvers over a distant lake which, upon examination, turned out to almost certainly be a firefly doing its mating display flight a few feet away.

Even a kite can perform maneuvers that seem impossible, if you mistake it for a free-flying, larger, and more distant craft.
Old 26th May 2021, 04:05 AM   #382
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
And the Moon!
I was afraid of it when I was a toddler.

And you better fear Venus!
And the red kite.
Serious if the bastards come after my custard creams, let alone a steak, their protected status isn't going to save them
Old 26th May 2021, 04:11 AM   #383
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Curiously that reminds me of an episode of the old Tv series UFO where SHADO managed to attach a probe to a fleeing saucer.

Quote:
SHADO place a B142 tracking probe (launched with NASA Rocket 712) equipped with a newly developed high resolution electron telescopic camera aboard in lunar orbit, during a spacewalk accomplished by Paul Foster and camera developer Lt. John Masters. A UFO is turned back by the SHADO Interceptors from Moonbase and the probe follows it back to its home world. The images the probe returns several months later have no information regarding range or magnification, however, rendering their intelligence value moot.
Old 26th May 2021, 05:27 AM   #384
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Piker. They were saying the same thing about "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (the original, not the awful remake).

One of the old Stundie threads had someone claiming that "The Towering Inferno" was made to prepare people for 9/11.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 07:13 AM   #385
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't an alien invasion hoax make the Deep State literally comic book villains?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 07:52 AM   #386
Armitage72
Philosopher

Wouldn't an alien invasion hoax make the Deep State literally comic book villains?

Not if they did it 35 minutes ago.

(Although the alien invasion version was "Republic serial villain")

Last edited by Armitage72; 26th May 2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 26th May 2021, 08:21 AM   #387
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was an incident back around 2004 in which the Mexican government released a video showing a string of mysterious ball-shaped UFOs that the Mexican Air Force had recorded with their IR cameras. They turned out to be gas flares from off-shore oil wells.
One of the videos released by the US government in the last couple of months purporting to show triangular-shaped flying objects is clearly actually just lens flare.
Old 26th May 2021, 09:43 AM   #388
Apathia
Philosopher

And the red kite.
Serious if the bastards come after my custard creams, let alone a steak, their protected status isn't going to save them

Author Unknown
Old 26th May 2021, 10:53 AM   #389
JollyRoger
Muse

They're still working out a few bugs in their stealth technology, and using the alien story to cover their screw-ups
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
Albert Einstein
JollyRoger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 12:43 PM   #390
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
One of the old Stundie threads had someone claiming that "The Towering Inferno" was made to prepare people for 9/11.
And Richard Hoagland used to claim that NASA created and used Star Trek to acclimate the American public to the notion that aliens exist....
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 01:49 PM   #391
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Even a kite can perform maneuvers that seem impossible, if you mistake it for a free-flying, larger, and more distant craft.
Most people have never seen high-performance jet aircraft doing there thing due to civil aviation safety restrictions and zoning. If you get out to Edwards AFB, China Lake, and the areas around Nellis AFB you will see jaw-dropping flying maneuvers. I was lucky enough to see the B-2 going through its proving tests at Edwards one day(I just lucked out). The giant bomber was was flying like a stunt-kite with sharp banking and steep diving. The following year I saw the YF-22 dogfighting an F-16 doing over Mach 1 (heard the sonic boom, unlike UFOs). The two aircraft and the chase F-16 looked more like angry sparrows as they weaved though the sky.

I'd been to a lot of airshows and I'd thought I had a grasp on this kind of aviation, but I was so wrong.
Old 26th May 2021, 01:54 PM   #392
Axxman300
Philosopher

The funny thing is that Spielberg wrote the script, which is still the best researched on all aspects of the phenomenon, because he was a believer in UFOs. Today he no longer believes in them and when asked why the change of heart his answer is, "Cell phones. Everyone has a camera, where are the conclusive pictures and videos?".

There is a whole subset of "Inside Hollywood" woo-types who believe the US Government has been working with Hollywood since the 1950s to "get the truth out".
Old 26th May 2021, 05:53 PM   #393
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Another article telling us that we shouldn't read too much into reports of UAVs, including the explanations for the videos released by the US Navy.

The aliens haven't landed: Why you should be skeptical of recent reports on UFO sightings

Quote:
The "glowing aura" mentioned in the New York Times headline turned out to be a processing artifact common to thermal cameras.

The supposed impossible accelerations in the "Tic-Tac" video were revealed to coincide with (and hence caused by) sudden movements of the camera, leading to the conclusion that the object in the video was not actually doing anything special.

The video titled "Go Fast" was claimed to show an object with no heat source (and hence, no conventional engine) moving impossibly fast over the surface of the ocean.

But some 10th-grade trigonometry showed it was actually much higher than it seemed, creating an illusion of motion, and the actual speed was more like wind speed, meaning it was probably just a balloon.

The most compelling video, "Gimbal,Ē seems to show an actual flying saucer skimming over clouds then coming to a stop and bizarrely rotating into an aerodynamically impossible position.

But closer examination of this video showed that when the "object" rotated, other patches of light in the scene rotated.

The only possible explanation being that the rotation was a camera artifact, and that the "flying saucer" was simply the infrared glare from the engines of a distant aircraft that was flying away. An examination of the camera's patents revealed the gimbal mechanism responsible for the apparent rotation.

Since then, two more videos from the UAP Task Force were leaked. Both initially seemed amazing: a flying triangle and a zig-zagging submersible sphere.

But, like the previous three, they became more mundane under closer examination.

I found that the triangle looked and acted exactly like an out-of-focus airplane, and the sphere was shown not to zig-zag, probably to be another glare, and to disappear behind the horizon rather than under the water.
Old 26th May 2021, 05:59 PM   #394
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Reminds me of a cell phone video clip I saw once, of a saucer shaped UFO pacing the car as it drove along.

Slightly closer examination revealed that it was in fact a dim reflection of one of the indicator dials on the driver's console, caught in the driver's side window.
Old 26th May 2021, 09:41 PM   #395
jadebox
Master Poster

Reminds me of a cell phone video clip I saw once, of a saucer shaped UFO pacing the car as it drove along.

Slightly closer examination revealed that it was in fact a dim reflection of one of the indicator dials on the driver's console, caught in the driver's side window.
Reflections like that explain a lot of UFO photos.

Some of the "Gulf Breeze UFO" photos were intentionally created by reflecting a lighted model in a window.

The Gulf Breeze UFO stories were funny to me because Gulf Breeze is in the panhandle of Florida near Eglin AFB. As with Edwards mentioned above, we would often see strange things in the sky around the base. So, even if aliens were really visiting, I doubt anyone would notice.

Several times I saw weird things I wasn't able to identify (or not able to identify at first).

My favorite happened while I was driving toward the base at night, I saw a light moving.in the sky in an odd manner. It moved in a cyclical pattern - to the right then upward and back to the left a little then down and to the right again.

As I got closer I saw that it was a small plane that was flying perpendicular to my movement towards it. It was flying slowly into a strong wind. When it pulled up, it slowed down and appeared to move backwards then it would dive a bit and move faster.into the wind and appear to move forward. The light on it followed a looping path.

I've wondered if the pilot was intentionality trying to hover in a fixed-wing aircraft.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 11:12 PM   #396
JollyRoger
Muse

How about this one
Considering the level of intelligence it would take to travel to Earth from the nearest inhabitable planet, it could be nothing more then Earth is a primate habitat for some alien life form and like so many other primate habitats some moron got to close and fell in.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
Albert Einstein

Last edited by JollyRoger; 26th May 2021 at 11:32 PM.
JollyRoger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 11:15 PM   #397
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This is why I always insist that people have to be certain that the object they think they saw is an actual object. Lots of UAP reports are for things that aren't objects - reflections, bokeh, camera artefacts. If your claim is that the thing you saw defies the laws of physics, you need to consider whether what you saw was physical.
Old 27th May 2021, 12:30 AM   #398
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is why I always insist that people have to be certain that the object they think they saw is an actual object. Lots of UAP reports are for things that aren't objects - reflections, bokeh, camera artefacts. If your claim is that the thing you saw defies the laws of physics, you need to consider whether what you saw was physical.
Couldnít agree with you more, we all know itís not ETs, itís angels.
Old 27th May 2021, 01:05 AM   #399
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Couldnít agree with you more, we all know itís not ETs, itís angels.
Ghosts I tell you. It can't possibly be anything else. And I know because I've tested literally everything else in the universe that it could be. Took me a while, too, I can tell you.
Old 27th May 2021, 03:10 AM   #400
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

That's exactly why they're now called Unidentified Aerial Phenomena - the three words of "Unidentified Flying Object" contain two assumptions which may not be true.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal