IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ufos

Old 21st June 2021, 08:51 PM   #481
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
They use the term 'Unidentified Aerial Phenomena' to mean 'objects that cannot be identified': my original point is that to assume they are craft is incorrect. They have not been identified as craft, only as objects.
No. They call them "Phenomena" because they can't be definitively identified as objects. Bokeh, to take one example, is not an object.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:29 AM   #482
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
But, nowhere in the emails that were released through the FOIA are they referred to as "unidentified.". In fact the emails list rather mundane possibilities.

https://www.theblackvault.com/casefi.../18-F-0644.pdf
I was referring to the article in the OP:

Quote:
"The Navy designates the objects contained in these videos as unidentified aerial phenomena," Joseph Gradisher, the official spokesperson for the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Warfare, reportedly told John Greenewald at The Black Vault.
Quote:
To be clear, this doesn't mean the videos show aliens, or that the US Navy is suggesting that's what they are. It only means the unidentified aerial phenomena (UAPs) are objects that cannot be identified.
Do the emails contain different terminology?
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:32 AM   #483
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No. They call them "Phenomena" because they can't be definitively identified as objects. Bokeh, to take one example, is not an object.
Again, I'm just going from the article in the OP:

Quote:
"The 'Unidentified Aerial Phenomena' terminology is used because it provides the basic descriptor for the sightings / observations of unauthorised / unidentified aircraft / objects that have been observed entering / operating in the airspace of various military-controlled training ranges."

To be clear, this doesn't mean the videos show aliens, or that the US Navy is suggesting that's what they are. It only means the unidentified aerial phenomena (UAPs) are objects that cannot be identified.
Oh, and- perhaps I've missed something here- what is 'Bokeh'?
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:41 AM   #484
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

UAP can also be, for example, reflections of lights from the ground, or even from the cockpit in which the observer is sitting.

I think the term UAP was coined to allow for such things, but people can still inadvertently slip into using the term object when talking about them.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:47 AM   #485
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh, and- perhaps I've missed something here- what is 'Bokeh'?
Bokeh is a visual artifact caused by the reflection of light inside a camera lens. Related to lens flare. Absolutely not an object, but almost certainly the explanation for one of the recently leaked but confirmed videos.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:50 AM   #486
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I think the term UAP was coined to allow for such things, but people can still inadvertently slip into using the term object when talking about them.
Absolutely. Especially since we've all grown up thinking of them as "unidentified flying objects". UAP is without doubt a better term, but the old "UFO" is going to be pretty hard to dislodge.
Old 25th June 2021, 03:57 PM   #487
Apathia
Philosopher

Anticlimactic Report for your amusement:

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/docum...P-20210625.pdf

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 04:55 PM   #488
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post

I can't wait for Coast to Coast tonight (12-4am Central time) , the UFO enthusiasts will be wailing, they were so sure this would be "Disclosure" were the government admits they know all about aliens on Earth.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 10:36 PM   #489
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Frankly, all UFOs (and really all "paranormal phenomena") fall into 2 categories:

1. There is not enough information to determine what caused the effect
2. It is explained by natural phenomena.

Frankly, the entirety of UFOs and the paranormal are nothing but an elaborate and extended argument from ignorance.
Old 27th June 2021, 06:34 PM   #490
Thorkil2
Scholar

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
OK. Here is Mick West's explanation of the Nimitz FLIR1 "Tic-Tac" UFO Video
I had a bit of a chuckle over this. It's the wordiest description of infinity focus that I've ever seen, something any photographer could state in a few words. Depending on the focal length of the lens, anything over about 100 feet away, give or take, will be at optical infinity, i.e., in sharp focus, so the pilot is clueless on that one, completely wrong.

Last edited by Thorkil2; 27th June 2021 at 06:39 PM. Reason: correct quote notation.
Thorkil2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 02:00 PM   #491
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Frankly, all UFOs (and really all "paranormal phenomena") fall into 2 categories:

Frankly, the entirety of UFOs and the paranormal are nothing but an elaborate and extended argument from ignorance.
That is what they want you to think:

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 05:47 PM   #492
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thorkil2 View Post
I had a bit of a chuckle over this. It's the wordiest description of infinity focus that I've ever seen, something any photographer could state in a few words. Depending on the focal length of the lens, anything over about 100 feet away, give or take, will be at optical infinity, i.e., in sharp focus, so the pilot is clueless on that one, completely wrong.
Yup. The expression "Depth of Field" covers it all.
Old 30th June 2021, 04:27 PM   #493
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I'd add 3: Lies and hoaxes.
Spektator is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 05:03 PM   #494
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I'd add 3: Lies and hoaxes.

Lies and hoaxes are natural phenomena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th June 2021, 05:53 PM   #495
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think it helps to make the distinction.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 10:10 PM   #496
jadebox
Master Poster

As would be alien spacecraft.

Edit: And everything else. :-)
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2021, 02:59 AM   #497
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

As would be alien spacecraft.

Edit: And everything else. :-)

Alright, alright! Petard, hoisted, I get it

But the point I was getting at is every case with sufficient information to determine a cause has a cause that is not aliens.

The only ones where there’s any question are ones where there’s just not enough information.

There’s no positive indication of alien spacecraft. “Aliens” hide in the negative information.
Now to be fair, I’m fairly certain there’s intelligent life out there somewhere, but them visiting Earth? No. The sheer size of the universe means visiting another solar system is prohibitively costly by any feasible method we can determine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd July 2021, 04:47 AM   #498
jadebox
Master Poster

Alright, alright! Petard, hoisted, I get it

But the point I was getting at is every case with sufficient information to determine a cause has a cause that is not aliens.

The only ones where there’s any question are ones where there’s just not enough information.

There’s no positive indication of alien spacecraft. “Aliens” hide in the negative information.

Now to be fair, I’m fairly certain there’s intelligent life out there somewhere, but them visiting Earth? No. The sheer size of the universe means visiting another solar system is prohibitively costly by any feasible method we can determine.
That's exactly the way I feel. I am sure intelligent beings exist (or existed) elsewhere in the universe. But, the chance of them intersecting with us over the vastness of space (and time!) Is nil.

I do think there is a fair chance (maybe a 50% chance) that we will find good evidence of extraterrestrial life while I am still around to hear the news. But, of course, that life will be sort of like bacteria. That interests me more than blurry videos of splotches of light.

Last edited by jadebox; 3rd July 2021 at 04:50 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 12:17 AM   #499
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Throughout history, every mystery ever solved has turned out to be... not magic."

- Tim Minchin
Old 21st July 2021, 02:16 PM   #500
Axxman300
Philosopher

Just going to leave this story about a "trained professional" mis-identifying a common object as something else right here:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...paign=sharebar

Quote:
The dozy PC had left a Glasgow police station at about midnight on Tuesday and noticed the object in the sky “following her.”

She tried to lose the “drone” as she drove towards the shopping complex at the Fort, just off the M8. She called the general Police Scotland complaints number on 101 and told the call handler she was being followed by a drone along the M8 and “couldn’t lose it”. The officer, who is in her first two years of service, was told to return to her station where she would be met by a senior officer.

She was found standing in the police yard with her hood up trying to hide from the “drone” and pointed out the bright white dot in the sky. They told her it was Jupiter, which is often visible on a clear night.
Could have been more embarrassing, could have been the moon.
Old 25th July 2021, 09:49 AM   #501
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post

No government report any place, any time, ever said, "We don't need more money to investigate this stuff."
Old 26th July 2021, 10:56 PM   #502
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Just going to leave this story about a "trained professional" mis-identifying a common object as something else right here:

This seems like a highly credible source. The story provides many intricate details of the case. I appreciate the high standards we keep around here.
Old 27th July 2021, 04:16 AM   #503
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This seems like a highly credible source. The story provides many intricate details of the case. I appreciate the high standards we keep around here.
Is this sarcasm?
Old 27th July 2021, 03:18 PM   #504
Axxman300
Philosopher

...And J.J Abrams has a 4-part "documentary" airing on Showtime called "UFO" coming soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9NhwYKCLM

So there's that.
Old 27th July 2021, 03:26 PM   #505
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

...And J.J Abrams has a 4-part "documentary" airing on Showtime called "UFO" coming soon:
Plot twist: all the UFOs turn out to be lens flares.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2021, 03:43 PM   #506
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Plot twist: all the UFOs turn out to be lens flares.
Nope. Every single example in the show will be completely inexplicable by the credulous cretins who produce the show. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Not a single migrating pelican, not a single secret Mogul balloon, not a single flashing lighthouse beam, not a single flare dropping behind a mountain range, no frozen urine, no visible strings, no reflections, no obvious hoaxes, no miss-identified planets and etc.

Old 27th July 2021, 08:04 PM   #507
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Is this sarcasm?
Am I that transparent?
Old 29th July 2021, 07:23 AM   #508
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Nope. Every single example in the show will be completely inexplicable byto the credulous cretins who producewatch the show. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Not a single migrating pelican, not a single secret Mogul balloon, not a single flashing lighthouse beam, not a single flare dropping behind a mountain range, no frozen urine, no visible strings, no reflections, no obvious hoaxes, no miss-identified planets and etc.

ftfy

The producers of the show know exactly what's going on

Last edited by Lplus; 29th July 2021 at 07:25 AM.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 08:10 AM   #509
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
ftfy

You're even more cynical than I am.
Old 29th July 2021, 08:34 AM   #510
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

My comment was a veiled reference to J.J. Abrams' preferred cinematography style, but I agree it's probably going to be the standard pander-fest.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 11:27 AM   #511
Reformed Offlian
Muse

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
My comment was a veiled reference to J.J. Abrams' preferred cinematography style, but I agree it's probably going to be the standard pander-fest.
...and you can see their home planets being blown up in the background!
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 06:25 PM   #512
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

One sighting solved. . .

""SkyWest 3626, did you see the UFO?" asked the air traffic controller in one transmission."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/us/la...rnd/index.html

. . . maybe.
Old 1st August 2021, 07:10 PM   #513
Thorkil2
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
ftfy

Sadly, some of the players do not. Not only face time on TV, but a Following! Real scientists need not apply.
Thorkil2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2021, 07:20 PM   #514
Thorkil2
Scholar

I have a friend who, while in the Navy, had the watch on deck of a ship one night. He is no flake and is, in fact an extremely stable individual. He was first concerned, then panicked because he saw a light bouncing around all over the sky in ways that no aircraft could possibly perform. He made a panicky call to his superiors, who came out and observed that it was Venus moving up and down as the ship rolled. He was then and remains deeply embarrassed.
Old 5th August 2021, 01:03 AM   #515
Explorer
Graduate Poster

That's exactly the way I feel. I am sure intelligent beings exist (or existed) elsewhere in the universe. But, the chance of them intersecting with us over the vastness of space (and time!) Is nil.

I do think there is a fair chance (maybe a 50% chance) that we will find good evidence of extraterrestrial life while I am still around to hear the news. But, of course, that life will be sort of like bacteria. That interests me more than blurry videos of splotches of light.
So are you ruling out completely the possibility that your proposed "intelligent beings" existing elsewhere in the universe, are sufficiently intelligent enough to construct sophisticated exploration vehicles, perhaps even just unoccupied robotic craft capable of travelling vast interstellar distances?

I agree that the odds are stacked against this possibility, at least based on our own current knowledge, but is this totally impossible? I suppose your term "nil" suggests just that.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 03:30 PM   #516
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
So are you ruling out completely the possibility that your proposed "intelligent beings" existing elsewhere in the universe, are sufficiently intelligent enough to construct sophisticated exploration vehicles, perhaps even just unoccupied robotic craft capable of travelling vast interstellar distances?

I agree that the odds are stacked against this possibility, at least based on our own current knowledge, but is this totally impossible? I suppose your term "nil" suggests just that.
Sorry .. I mean to say "virtually nil."

Last edited by jadebox; 5th August 2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 6th August 2021, 02:42 PM   #517
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
OUt of curiosity, I googled a search of Krakatoa erupting 4,500 years ago.

I found nothing, but I didn't google for hours!

On Britannica, I found this: The only confirmed eruption prior to 1883 was a moderate one in 1680.

So - please let's see the evidence? Thanks!

Presumably the volcano did not appear ex nihilo.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 02:44 PM   #518
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Thorkil2 View Post
I have a friend who, while in the Navy, had the watch on deck of a ship one night. He is no flake and is, in fact an extremely stable individual. He was first concerned, then panicked because he saw a light bouncing around all over the sky in ways that no aircraft could possibly perform. He made a panicky call to his superiors, who came out and observed that it was Venus moving up and down as the ship rolled. He was then and remains deeply embarrassed.

One night, I saw a light wayyy up in the sky that just hovered for 10 minutes, not moving at all. Even for a helicopter that would have been odd.

Then it suddenly moved and roared right over me.

Turns out it was a plane on a descent vector to the airport and happened to be descending right at me.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 6th August 2021 at 02:46 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 06:18 AM   #519
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Sorry .. I mean to say "virtually nil."
Sorry, I meant to say, for all intensive purposes, "nil"
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 03:15 PM   #520
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Sorry, I meant to say, for all intensive purposes, "nil"
What about merely casual purposes?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal