IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags impeachment , political predictions , political speculation , Trump impeachment

View Poll Results: How long will the impeachment trial last?
One hour or less 8 14.04%
One day or less 16 28.07%
One week or less 11 19.30%
One month or less. 15 26.32%
It'll still be going on Planet X in 2219. 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th December 2019, 11:10 PM   #41
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Even if The PDJT lasts until the end of this term, I can totally see him doing the same thing that outgoing Kentucky Governor Bevins is doing right now. Pardoning serious criminals left and right, apparently for a fee.
Old 14th December 2019, 05:33 AM   #42
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
I hope you are right, because a Trump win is essential for my plan to kick off the next civil war. (Next step:- nuke California!).

I don't think it will make a difference though. The Deplorables in 'Trump' districts are bound to vote against Democrats anyway - impeachment or no. Because they are deplorable.
Idiot Dispicable now.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 05:38 AM   #43
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
Which will be a fitting conclusion to the whole fiasco started by Schiff's "parody."

The real losers in this will be D reps in Trump districts who vote for Trumpeachment and lose their seats. When they won in 2018 trump was not on the ballot. This time he will be and Trump supporters will vote them out of office.
Don't place any bets on the Cyanide laced Flavoraid drinkers.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 06:34 AM   #44
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump hates that other people are on Tv and not him.
My guess is McConnell will invite him to make a statement but answer no questions - just like any innocent defendant.
I doubt that. Trump has a habit of going off-script. I don't think anybody looking to protect Trump would put him in front of a mic in that situation.
Old 14th December 2019, 01:29 PM   #45
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We probably need a general thread on the trial instead of this one.

In the meantime I have this fantasy of Trump deciding to have Giuliani conduct his defense and Rudy calling him to testify. That would be awesome.
Old 15th December 2019, 01:46 AM   #46
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I doubt that. Trump has a habit of going off-script. I don't think anybody looking to protect Trump would put him in front of a mic in that situation.
It will be like Beck crying on TV to make a point: even if Trump incriminates himself on live TV, it will be because the mean Dems were so mean to him that his True EmotionsTM made him less than 100% accurate.

No, Trump the Innocent standing before the Inquisition would make for good Fox TV and campaign ads, even if he was lying the whole time.
Old 15th December 2019, 04:55 AM   #47
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It will be like Beck crying on TV to make a point: even if Trump incriminates himself on live TV, it will be because the mean Dems were so mean to him that his True EmotionsTM made him less than 100% accurate.

No, Trump the Innocent standing before the Inquisition would make for good Fox TV and campaign ads, even if he was lying the whole time.
There was a report a while back, perhaps even based on official statements put out by his lawyers IIRC, which said that the reason Trump's lawyers wouldn't let him sit down with Mueller is that he would definitely perjure himself. I think even they know it's too far.

Far better to dismiss the whole thing straight away. That's why I voted it'll last less than a day. Just say "the case is weak", dismiss it, and go on their merry way.
Old 15th December 2019, 05:20 AM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

How long does it take to say "not guilty"?
Old 15th December 2019, 06:31 AM   #49
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There was a report a while back, perhaps even based on official statements put out by his lawyers IIRC, which said that the reason Trump's lawyers wouldn't let him sit down with Mueller is that he would definitely perjure himself. I think even they know it's too far.

Far better to dismiss the whole thing straight away. That's why I voted it'll last less than a day. Just say "the case is weak", dismiss it, and go on their merry way.
McConnell wouldn't let him take an oath - just give a Rally Speech.
Old 15th December 2019, 07:50 AM   #50
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell wouldn't let him take an oath - just give a Rally Speech.
I don't think that would happen, either. It's one thing to unilaterally say "the case is so weak it's not worth considering" and vote to acquit a week or two after the actual evidence was presented, and it's another thing entirely to have Trump up there blundering around admitting to all the things you're going to say an hour later that he didn't do.

Trump's a liability, and they know it.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:33 AM   #51
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Considering that Congress will start its Christmas Break on 16 DEC 2019,

and considering that the stupid, idiotic, lying, Trump toadie Mitch McConnell will be running the Trump Trial,

then I expect that the trial will be over in less than one month from today with Trump still being President Trump.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 11:08 AM   #52
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

But I wanted a gift-wrapped Trump under my tree!
Old 16th December 2019, 11:17 AM   #53
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Aw shucks! That would be quite nice indeed.

So I suppose that we will just have to settle for joining the US Space Force instead.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 11:32 AM   #54
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I hope it lasts long and creates the impression among his base that Democrats will. Never. Get. Over. 2016.

Hillary Clinton will never be president.
I wonder if you believe that anyone will think this post of yours was submitted as representative of your actual thoughts.

I doubt it, though.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 11:55 AM   #55
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Considering that Congress will start its Christmas Break on 16 DEC 2019,

and considering that the stupid, idiotic, lying, Trump toadie Mitch McConnell will be running the Trump Trial,

then I expect that the trial will be over in less than one month from today with Trump still being President Trump.
Actually on that are we talking "X amount of actual time" or "X amount of time Congress is an session doing things" because I was leaning toward the latter in my answer.

I think the trial will be over in roughly 20-30 work days worth of workdays. Those 20-30 days of work time could take time due to both legit and stupid reasons.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 12:06 PM   #56
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Even if The PDJT lasts until the end of this term, I can totally see him doing the same thing that outgoing Kentucky Governor Bevins is doing right now. Pardoning serious criminals left and right, apparently for a fee.
Wonder if he's already lining them up? Certainly any of those Russians he's been involved with and his cronies.

One way or another Trump is going to be dangerous in his lame duck.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 12:08 PM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh yeah however this ends the "Trump on his way out pardons" are going to be... interesting to say the least.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 12:13 PM   #58
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I wonder if you believe that anyone will think this post of yours was submitted as representative of your actual thoughts.

I doubt it, though.
Bummer. Better luck next time.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 12:16 PM   #59
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I agree. Trump is not going to testify. I doubt he'll send his minions either because they have sense enough not to perjure themselves.

Bolton is the only wild card and McConnell won't let him testify.

Here's the dilemma, the Democrats have already submitted a list of witnesses and it's a safe bet Bolton is on it. That could force McConnell to make sure no witnesses are called.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 12:17 PM   #60
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You think "We get to call witnesses, the Dems don't" is outside of either McConnell's ability or his will to do so if he wants to?

What are the Dems going to do yell "But the rulebook says you can't do that!" at him from the sidelines?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th December 2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 16th December 2019, 12:19 PM   #61
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You think "We get to call witnesses, the Dems don't" is outside of either McConnell's ability or his will to do so if he wants to?
Well, "we get to nominate SCOTUS judges, the dems don't" is already well established.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 12:21 PM   #62
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hell if McConnel wants he'll have an all Republican trial.

All the Dems will bluster with "BUT THE RULES SAY YOU CAN'T DO THAT" and the Republicans will be all "SHOW ME IN THE CONSTITUTION WHERE IT SAYS 'ALL OF THE SENATE.'

Old 16th December 2019, 12:27 PM   #63
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Hell if McConnel wants he'll have an all Republican trial.

All the Dems will bluster with "BUT THE RULES SAY YOU CAN'T DO THAT" and the Republicans will be all "SHOW ME IN THE CONSTITUTION WHERE IT SAYS 'ALL OF THE SENATE.'
The Trial will be held at Mar-a-Lago - by Invitation only
Old 16th December 2019, 12:31 PM   #64
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Trial will be held at Mar-a-Lago - by Invitation only
Trump will testify entirely via tweets.

The Trumpers on the board will say that makes perfect sense.

And 4 more Dems will announce they are joining the primaries in response.

Old 16th December 2019, 01:18 PM   #65
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Oh yeah however this ends the "Trump on his way out pardons" are going to be... interesting to say the least.
If he's Impeached by the Senate (but he won't be), isn't that pretty much it? He's out immediately? No grace period to get his affairs in order?
I think in all the other scenarios he gets some time to do some real damage.
Old 16th December 2019, 01:20 PM   #66
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If he's Impeached by the Senate (but he won't be), isn't that pretty much it? He's out immediately? No grace period to get his affairs in order?
I think in all the other scenarios he gets some time to do some real damage.
Since it's a metaphysical impossibility I didn't include Trump being convicted in my "no matter how this is gonna end" qualifier. And hell even then I wouldn't put it past him to somehow try. Or just leave Pence a list of people to pardon.

Trump's gonna have a lameduck period at some point we're going to have to deal with.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th December 2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 16th December 2019, 01:22 PM   #67
Belz...
Fiend God

If he's Impeached by the Senate (but he won't be), isn't that pretty much it?
Convicted, not impeached.

Old 16th December 2019, 01:23 PM   #68
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Convicted, not impeached.
Removed, not convicted.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 01:25 PM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will testify entirely via tweets.

The Trumpers on the board will say that makes perfect sense.
I'm trying to figure out which is the more contrarian reply. Is it...

"Of course it doesn't make any sense at all to testify by tweet. How would that even work? Stupid!"

Or is it...

"Of course it would make sense for Trump to try to testify by tweet!"

I'm stumped.
Old 16th December 2019, 01:27 PM   #70
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm trying to figure out which is the more contrarian reply. Is it...
Wow Meta-Contrarianism. That's new.

Is that the plan now? Become the Deadpool of contrarians? Keep doing the same thing but occasionally turn to the camera and wink?

Old 16th December 2019, 01:33 PM   #71
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wow Meta-Contrarianism. That's new.

Is that the plan now? Become the Deadpool of contrarians? Keep doing the same thing but occasionally turn to the camera and wink?
I mean, you have to admit it would make perfect sense for Donald Trump to try to testify via tweets, even though tweeted testimony makes no sense at all and would be a stupid idea.
Old 16th December 2019, 01:37 PM   #72
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean, you have to admit it would make perfect sense for Donald Trump to try to testify via tweets, even though tweeted testimony makes no sense at all and would be a stupid idea.
No I don't have to admit anything. I retain the right to stay in reality.

I miss the days when you would, at least occasionally, join us there.

Old 16th December 2019, 01:48 PM   #73
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No I don't have to admit anything. I retain the right to stay in reality.

I miss the days when you would, at least occasionally, join us there.
Point taken. Let me try joining you in reality:

I think the reality is that Donald Trump could very well try to testify via tweets. Not because it's a good idea, but because it's a typically Trumpian idea. I.e., it makes perfect sense that Trump would try to do this.

I also think the reality is that testifying by tweet is a juridical impossibility. It's a stupid idea that makes no sense at all, probably not even in Donald Trump's head while he's trying to do it.

There. Is that reality-based enough for you?
Old 16th December 2019, 01:51 PM   #74
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There. Is that reality-based enough for you?
Don't know, don't are.

I don't trust you enough anymore to even try. And that doesn't make me happy.

Old 16th December 2019, 02:02 PM   #75
Belz...
Fiend God

Removed, not convicted.
No, I said what I meant.

Old 16th December 2019, 02:08 PM   #76
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No, I said what I meant.
My mistake. Thanks for the correction.
Old 16th December 2019, 03:21 PM   #77
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

What are the Dems going to do yell "But the rulebook says you can't do that!" at him from the sidelines?
Why would the GOP want to call witnesses? Isn't their best move to just say "this is all baseless and I move to dismiss", and then do exactly that? They've already laid the groundwork for that. After months of saying that it's not worth dignifying with being taken seriously, why would they then suddenly decide to take it seriously? What possible advantage could it give them? How is it in any way better than the alternative?
Old 16th December 2019, 04:57 PM   #78
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

You ask too much. I'd settle for his severed head in a basket, and I'll do without the tree as well.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2019, 05:02 PM   #79
Distracted1
Philosopher

Why would the GOP want to call witnesses? Isn't their best move to just say "this is all baseless and I move to dismiss", and then do exactly that? They've already laid the groundwork for that. After months of saying that it's not worth dignifying with being taken seriously, why would they then suddenly decide to take it seriously? What possible advantage could it give them? How is it in any way better than the alternative?
Probably would be their best move in toto. It forgoes tremendous opportunities for grandstanding by individual Senators, though.

The house had their time in front of the mic., the Senators might want theirs now.
Old 16th December 2019, 06:47 PM   #80
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Probably would be their best move in toto. It forgoes tremendous opportunities for grandstanding by individual Senators, though.
They'll get plenty of those during the public Biden hearings. They're salivating at the prospect.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics