IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boris Johnson , Chris Grayling , Julian Lewis , Tories , uk politics

Old 15th July 2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Chris Grayling derails

This really couldn't have happened to anyone else....

He failed to become the chair!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...security-chair

"....Conservative colleague Julian Lewis secures votes of opposition MPs in humiliation for PM’s pick....

...One source said Grayling “didn’t see it coming...”
Old 15th July 2020, 10:07 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I can see why Boris Johnson likes him. By comparison Boris Johnson is a political colossus.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 10:24 AM   #3
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

I've long thought that the only reason Grayling advanced from being a non-entity back bencher is that he possesses some very interesting photos of some senior Tories.

Or that Marina Hyde and John Crace invented him as a drunken bet on some Guardian works outing.

No-one can really have mistaken him for someone competent. Can they? Please?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 12:02 PM   #4
ohms
Graduate Poster

Apparently Julian Lewis has had the whip removed for “working with Labour & other opposition parties for his own advantage”.
Old 15th July 2020, 12:15 PM   #5
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Grayling achieves something remarkable...he fails to become the new chair of the powerful Intelligence and Security Committee.
Even though parachuted in by a Conservative govt on a Conservative majority system.
Julian Lewis appointed new chairman instead.

At least the country is a safer place than it would have been
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Conservative MP Julian Lewis has been kicked out of the Conservative parliamentary party after beating Chris Grayling to become chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee.

A senior government source told the BBC that Mr Lewis "has been told by the chief whip that it is because he worked with Labour and other opposition MPs for his own advantage".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53422010
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

By having a hissyfit about being completely politically outmanoeuvred and throwing Julian Lewis out of the Parliamentary Conservative Party ... Boris and Dom have ensured that the government now have no control over the Intelligence & Security committee just as the RussiReport is about to be released!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall when Cummings found out!
Old 15th July 2020, 01:44 PM   #8
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
By having a hissyfit about being completely politically outmanoeuvred and throwing Julian Lewis out of the Parliamentary Conservative Party ... Boris and Dom have ensured that the government now have no control over the Intelligence & Security committee just as the RussiReport is about to be released!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

I cackled quite loudly too
Old 15th July 2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Wudang
BOFH

We're opening a book on how many missed calls Lewis has from Cummings.
Old 15th July 2020, 06:43 PM   #10
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I can see why Boris Johnson likes him. By comparison Boris Johnson is a political colossus.
You'd think that life would be pretty easy when your only performance requirement is "don't be better than the boss", but when the boss is Boris Johnson that must be quite a challenge. Luckily Chris Grayling seems to have an unparalleled ability to meet and exceed that challenge. In a government of dismal failure he shines like a burned out bulb, triumphant in his failure. When they write the history of this government I doubt they'll even spell his name right.

How jealous his colleagues must be.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 01:45 AM   #11
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The potential for the report to be released in it's original form is fantastic news, as is the embarrassment to Johnson, and Failing, but the bigger picture is that this committee is important and while Julian Lewis is not an MP I'd want representing me and has some odd ideas (such as not accepting emails from constituents) he is by all accounts hard working and serious about his responsibilities. It sounds like this should be a much better choice for the country and it's nice to see at least one choice being made for reasons that extend beyond "what is expedient for Boris today".

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 01:56 AM   #12
Tolls
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Apparently Julian Lewis has had the whip removed for “working with Labour & other opposition parties for his own advantage”.
The thing is, Julian Lewis is like the Toriest Tory (just look at his voting record), but even he could see that the whole thing was a dangerous power grab by the Executive.

He must have known he was likely to have the whip withdrawn, and whatever gain he got from becoming chair was unlikely to make up for that.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 02:38 AM   #13
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
The thing is, Julian Lewis is like the Toriest Tory (just look at his voting record), but even he could see that the whole thing was a dangerous power grab by the Executive.

He must have known he was likely to have the whip withdrawn, and whatever gain he got from becoming chair was unlikely to make up for that.

The chances of his constituents recalling him are pretty much negligible, and he may have a good enough relationship with his local Conservative Party that he thinks they will refuse to deselect him if Tory Central Office tries to parachute someone in next election. But I think he's assuming that the current personality cult is unsustainable and whoever replaces Johnson will be trying to bring the party back together. Of course it's also possible that he is that rare thing, a politician of conviction albeit convictions that I'd mostly disagree with (with the exception of Chris Grayling should not oversee UK Intelligence and Security, on which I entirely agree with him).

Old 16th July 2020, 03:20 AM   #14
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/st...86688217235456

Quote:
The new chair of the ISC has said he believes it was ‘improper’ for the PM to lobby for Chris Grayling to lead the committee. Dr. Julian Lewis has released this statement to @PA :
Statement embedded in tweet.

And, you know what? Magically, the Russia report is due to be released in a couple of days.
Old 21st July 2020, 08:30 AM   #15
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
No-one can really have mistaken him for someone competent. Can they? Please?
For some people having had one's party membership dues paid for them to CPHQ by somebody counts as competence.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 06:41 PM   #16
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Chris Grayling achieves something remarkable...he fails to become the new chair of the powerful Intelligence and Security Committee.
Even though parachuted in by a Conservative govt on a Conservative majority system.
Julian Lewis appointed new chairman instead.

At least the country is a safer place than it would have been

I can't believe it. A group of Tories actually think the countries security is more important than party politics.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2020, 11:41 PM   #17
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I can't believe it. A group of Tories actually think the countries security is more important than party politics.
Actually, a single Tory - who was then kicked out of the parliamentary party.

The remaining Tories voted for Chris Grayling as Dominic Cummings Boris Johnson instructed them to do. Julian Lewis was supported by the non-Tory members of the committee (IIRC three Labour MPs and one SNP MP) and himself against the four other Tories.

From the reporting of the contents of the report into the Russia investigation, I can see why the government wouldn't want it released and would want a reliable stooge in charge of the committee which could suppress it.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:54 AM   #18
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Actually, a single Tory - who was then kicked out of the parliamentary party.

The remaining Tories voted for Chris Grayling as Dominic Cummings Boris Johnson instructed them to do. Julian Lewis was supported by the non-Tory members of the committee (IIRC three Labour MPs and one SNP MP) and himself against the four other Tories.

From the reporting of the contents of the report into the Russia investigation, I can see why the government wouldn't want it released and would want a reliable stooge in charge of the committee which could suppress it.

I would be surprised if he did this alone. Maybe he did, but I think it is a good guess that others share his concerns.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:00 AM   #19
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I would be surprised if he did this alone. Maybe he did, but I think it is a good guess that others share his concerns.
If they do, they were very quiet when he had the parliamentary whip withdrawn - how very brave of them.
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:31 AM   #20
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Well yes, it's just they weren't Tories.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics