IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antibiotics , bacteria , Coronavirus , viruses

Old 13th April 2021, 05:51 AM   #41
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Today the German skeptics write about a TV show for kids that was attacked by covidiots because it told children to mask up, keep a distance and wash their hands to keep the virus at bay while demonstrating how rapid SARS-CoV-2 test kits work:

Wegen Coronatest-Anleitung: Augsburger Puppenkiste im Visier von Corona-Leugnern (GWUP, Die Skeptiker, April 13, 2021)

My only objection is that they should have put the virus behind airtight glass instead of in a cage and told children about aerosol transmission.
Hand-washing may still be a good idea for children, who tend to touch each other more than adults do.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2021, 06:14 AM   #42
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

explain how an mRNA vaccine works to a 5-year old:

https://m.xkcd.com/2425/
Old 13th April 2021, 07:32 AM   #43
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I think I would have a harder time explaining the Star Wars analogy than the mRNA vaccines!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2021, 01:29 AM   #44
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I think I would have a harder time explaining the Star Wars analogy than the mRNA vaccines!
I think so too, but if they read the comic themselves they'll probably get it.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2021, 12:57 PM   #45
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
explain how an mRNA vaccine works to a 5-year old:

https://m.xkcd.com/2425/
Intelligent design in action...

"Yup, your body reads the mRNA, makes the proteins then has an immune reaction to them"

"Why would your body have an immune reaction to something it made itself?"
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:38 PM   #46
dann
Penultimate Amazing

This one's not about teaching 5-year-olds what a virus is. It's about explaining face masks to 3-year-olds:

Quote:
They’re not allowed...How’s that for freedom. And from personal experience with my 3yo the real challenge is not that kids will be scared but they will ask why everyone doesn’t wear them, once you explain why some do.
Quote:
Kitchen staff in a Swedish school not allowed to #WearAMask at work!
Reason: “It would scare the children and the teachers”
Sarah Rosenberg on Twitter (May 3, 2021)

Out of the mouth of babes ...
Old 31st May 2021, 09:32 AM   #47
Lupus
Scholar

This is what they are teaching 5 year-olds in "woke" Dalton School in NYC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-graders.html
Lupus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2021, 09:53 AM   #48
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Daily fail? Got a better source? One that isn't noted for repeatedly lying that is.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 11:34 PM   #49
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Fox News is probably not any better - and they love the story:
Quote:
Children are reportedly taught lessons about 'consent,' and 'touching themselves' for pleasure
(...)
"Parents are paying $50,000 a year to send their kids to this school and yet they were afraid to speak on the record," he said. "They had to speak anonymously for fear of retaliation."
(...)
"I’m paying $50,000 to these a–holes to tell my kid not to let her grandfather hug her when he sees her?" one mom told The Post.
Parents of NYC elite prep school fuming over sex-ed classes for 1st graders (Fox News, June 2, 2021)
I wonder if the story about the grandfather not being allowed to hug the granddaughter might have something to do with SARS-CoV-2, but it doesn't even seem to be true. It is about consent, and I tend to agree that children shouldn't be forced to hug grandparents if they don't want to.

I suppose there are plenty of schools that can teach their children that touching themselves makes Jesus and Mike Pence cry. The Fox article is accompanied by a video where the author of the book Woke, Inc. explains how those unfortunate privileged parents live in fear of retaliation. I am surprised that he doesn't also object to the cartoon tiger wearing a face mask outside the school, but I guess that to Fox viewers the picture is worth 1,000 words.

Last edited by dann; 4th June 2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 13th July 2021, 07:09 PM   #50
mgidm86
Philosopher

I wouldn't bother explaining it to a 5 year old, much less Trump.
Old 8th August 2021, 01:02 PM   #51
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This is what you should be teaching the kid: Viruses are a hoax!
Old 11th August 2021, 05:08 AM   #52
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The irony! Led by notorious germaphobe, West Wing braces for coronavirus (CNN, March 3, 2020)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education