IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brian Kolfage , fraud cases , politics scandals , Steve Bannon , Trump administration

Old 21st August 2020, 06:34 AM   #81
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well that flock was gullible enough to be convinced to vote for trump, so the rest was rather easy.
I would put it slightly differently, but that is the general direction I was going.

They saw a group of people chanting "Build the wall", and they knew that so many people who thought building a border wall would "Make America Great Again" were easy marks.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 07:00 AM   #82
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The only thing about this story that disappoints me is that I heard on the radio news that some of the donors are getting their money back. About five million dollars has already been returned. I'm sure a lot of the money is just gone but sadly, some of bigots and morons who donated will get their money back.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 07:07 AM   #83
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.businessinsider.com/disa...ry-boat-2020-8

One of the four people arrested and indicted is an Air Force veteran who lost both legs and an arm in a mortar attack in Iraq. It seems money for the wall found it's way to him and he bought a Jupiter fishing yacht which he called "The War Fighter". Do think if he fell of the boat and into the water, his friends called him "Bob"?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 07:46 AM   #84
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's commonplace in the US justice system to plead not guilty. Absent news of a plea deal, why would you be surprised*? I'm kinda surprised you decided to post something so banal and so expected.

---
*Actually I can think of one reason you'd claim to be surprised: If you were pushing a narrative that Bannon is too stupid to plead not guilty, and therefore you're surprised that he didn't plead guilty. But it appears that however stupid he might be, Bannon is still at least smart enough to do what everybody else does in this situation. Which doesn't surprise you.
Stupid enough to plead guilty without a deal? Maybe not. But he was stupid enough to (allegedly) skim from a non-profit illegally, when there are plenty of ways to do so legally.

Last edited by CORed; 21st August 2020 at 07:48 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 08:35 AM   #85
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
What if we hope he gets treated the way trump wants criminals to be treated?
Then "we" would be despicable the way Trump is despicable.
Errr.... not really.

Trump wants a double standard... tough talk talk and harsh punishments/abuse for anyone NOT friendly/associated with him, but those who are close to him often avoid punishment.

What some of us like to see is the complete opposite.... Trump (and those who enable his "tough talk" on crime) get treated the way Trump is actually demanding. i.e. "You asked for it, you'll get it..." Yet those who actually supported a more... enlightened view on law and order get treated according to actual fair rules.

Trump is an extra order of despicable because of the hypocrisy.... someone suggesting Bannon get the Trump law and order treatment is not suggesting he doesn't deserve anything he didn't expect for himself.
Quote:
Why not hope for due process and rule of law, regardless of what the President or anyone else hopes for?
But given the way Trump and the republican party has manipulated things, you're not getting due process/rule of law. So why expect it in one situation (i.e. Bannon) but not in other situations (i.e. republicans breaking numerous laws, kids locked in cages, etc.)
Quote:
There's more to life than weird-ass partisan tit for tat and whataboutism.
You do realize that this does not count as a 'whataboutism'.

A whataboutism is when you try to counter someone by bringing up a totally unrelated event to try to show the other side is "just as bad". ("Trump enlisted foreign help to rig the election.... whataboutism: Obama wore a tan suit which was a huge scandal.)

Someone suggesting Bannon be given the Trump "law and order" treatment is not engaging in whataboutism because it is not such an unrelated event... Bannon was a Trump supporter. He know the type of individual he was yet helped him get elected... far from being a 'whataboutism', I would say its a case of "turnabout is fair play".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 08:41 AM   #86
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. Which is why he's not really on topic for this thread. Steve Bannon was indicted for fraud. Somehow you want to turn it into yet another thread about Donald Trump. Please don't do that. There's already threads discussing Bannon's relationship to Trump.
Why shouldn't Trump be brought up? He's a relevant figure in all this...

- As others have suggested, Bannon rose to fame largely because his association with Trump. Had there not been that association, this scandal would not have gotten the attention that it did

- The scandal involved a project (border wall) that Trump had been championing

- Trump (and his other minions) have made statements both before the scandal broke (i.e. support for the private wall project) and after (i.e. "I didn't support it"). The fact that these particular events have resulted in another blatant Trump lie are of interest to some.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 08:41 AM   #87
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I knew you could indict a ham sandwich, but I didn't know you could indict an unmade bed.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:23 AM   #88
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/disa...ry-boat-2020-8

One of the four people arrested and indicted is an Air Force veteran who lost both legs and an arm in a mortar attack in Iraq. It seems money for the wall found it's way to him and he bought a Jupiter fishing yacht which he called "The War Fighter". Do think if he fell of the boat and into the water, his friends called him "Bob"?
Here is video showing Steve Bannon and that veteran, Brian Kolfage, during the "build the wall" telethon soliciting donations from xenophobic schmucks. Bannon jokes about them being off the coast of St. Tropez on the "million dollar yacht" that Kolfage bought with that Build That Wall money. Talk about brazen. Bannon jokes about it and pats him on the back laughing... Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the state's attorney plays that video in the interrogation room during plea negotiations.

mediaite link
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 11:39 AM   #89
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So it looks like there are at least some attempts to link Bannon's arrest to some conspiracy theory...

Fox Business host Lou Dobbs has blamed the “deep state” conspiracy theory for the arrest of Steve Bannon...

My goodness, how can you ever debunk that. Fortunately, the above article gives such a source...

In Deep State: Trump, the FBI and the Rule of Law, by James B Stewart...Bannon said the “deep state conspiracy theory is for nut cases”...

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st August 2020, 11:39 AM   #90
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The only thing about this story that disappoints me is that I heard on the radio news that some of the donors are getting their money back. About five million dollars has already been returned. I'm sure a lot of the money is just gone but sadly, some of bigots and morons who donated will get their money back.
Don't worry, they'll resend the money to a televangelist.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 11:44 AM   #91
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Here is video showing Steve Bannon and that veteran, Brian Kolfage, during the "build the wall" telethon soliciting donations from xenophobic schmucks. Bannon jokes about them being off the coast of St. Tropez on the "million dollar yacht" that Kolfage bought with that Build That Wall money. Talk about brazen. Bannon jokes about it and pats him on the back laughing... Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the state's attorney plays that video in the interrogation room during plea negotiations.

mediaite link
Wow. Being brazen is all in vogue these days.
Old 21st August 2020, 12:33 PM   #92
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So it looks like there are at least some attempts to link Bannon's arrest to some conspiracy theory...

Fox Business host Lou Dobbs has blamed the “deep state” conspiracy theory for the arrest of Steve Bannon...

My goodness, how can you ever debunk that. Fortunately, the above article gives such a source...

In Deep State: Trump, the FBI and the Rule of Law, by James B Stewart...Bannon said the “deep state conspiracy theory is for nut cases”...
It kind of looks like these four went up to the SDNY chief for white collar crime, bit him on the ass and danced naked in front of him signing, "charity fraud is here again". There's nothing deep going on here.
Old 21st August 2020, 02:40 PM   #93
Nova Land
/
Tagger

I don't know if Donald Trump endorsed or got a cut from Bannon's We Build The Wall scam, so it will be interesting following news stories about this. But I do know that Donald Trump ran similar money-making schemes of his own -- and one of them, coincidentally (?), had a name almost identical to Steve Bannon's.

Back in December 2018 Trump wrote to me several times asking me to contribute to his official Build The Wall fund. For instance, on December 22 he wrote:

Originally Posted by Donald Trump
This is a critical moment for the future and safety of our families, our loved ones and the United States of America.

That’s why I am launching the most important membership program ever - the OFFICIAL BUILD THE WALL MEMBERSHIP.

Please contribute at least $5 by 11:59 PM TONIGHT to become one of the FIRST Official Build The Wall Members and get on the list my team sends me tonight.​

A few days later he repeated the request:

This is your opportunity to go down in HISTORY as one of the American Patriots that saved our country and built THE WALL.

Please accept your Official Build The Wall Membership with a contribution of $5 by 11:59 PM TONIGHT.

And again, as the year drew to a close:
Unlike the career politicians, I will always fight for you. When our beautiful country’s national security is at stake, I will NEVER take a vacation.

Now I’m calling on you to step up and fight with me for the sake of our country’s safety, Nova.

Please contribute at least $5 by 11:59 PM TONIGHT to become an Official Build The Wall Member and your gift will be TRIPLE-MATCHED.

Thank you,
Donald J. Trump
President of the United States of America

He continued to push his Build The Wall campaign and to solicit money from me for it through January, February, March, April and May of 2019. For instance, from April 8:

Building the Wall is the ONLY way to stop the out of control flow of drugs and dangerous criminals that are coming into our country illegally.

I need every Official Build the Wall Member on board if we are going to send a message.

Please contribute $5 to become an Official Build the Wall Member before 11:59 PM TONIGHT and get on the next list my team sends me.

As far as I can tell, May 2019 is when Donald Trump suddenly stopped asking me to contribute money to him for Build The Wall. Interestingly, that's close to the time when official investigations began into Steve Bannon's We Build The Wall scam:

Originally Posted by Business Insider
In a statement on Thursday, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said that after opening an investigation in May 2019, it had referred the case to the F.B.I.

So as not to distract discussion away from Steve Bannon and onto Donald Trump, I've started a separate thread for anyone interested in discussing Trump's efforts at raising money off the border wall which didn't actually raise any money for the border wall and went instead to Trump and his campaign. But I thought it was worth mentioning here the similarity between the name of Bannon's border wall scam and the name of one of Trump's border wall scams and the odd fact that Trump ended his Build The Wall scam the same time investigations into Bannon's We Build The Wall scam began.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 04:49 PM   #94
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

So this tweet is still up. I think it'll look great during sentencing.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 07:03 PM   #95
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Ouch!
Old 21st August 2020, 07:15 PM   #96
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I am charging you with fraud for impersonating Brian Kolfage.

You claim that you are the scum, but that title rightly belongs to someone else.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 07:34 PM   #97
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

A link from that tweet leads to https://www.bentonsstand.com/

Buy an item from that website to support um . . . er . . . building THE WALL and "All orders of $300 or more will receive a FREE
MAGA hat signed by Benton.
10% of profits go to Securing Our Borders
& 10% will be donated to Turning Point USA"

I have no further comment.
Old 21st August 2020, 07:41 PM   #98
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, has everyone seen this courtroom artist's sketch of sad Steve Bannon?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Art/comment...ane_rosenberg/
Old 21st August 2020, 08:30 PM   #99
carlitos
"más divertido"

That painting would look lovely opposite the one of Bill Clinton in the blue dress.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 09:47 PM   #100
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Anyone involved in the Durham report is vilified or will be. It doesnt matter if Trump likes them or not because the report goes back to that time of the campaign. The facts that have come out from then do not look good for democrats, just like the crap they did to Bernie- but worse.
Way worse. Good intentions perhaps, but oh soooo illegal.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 10:11 PM   #101
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Anyone involved in the Durham report is vilified or will be. It doesnt matter if Trump likes them or not because the report goes back to that time of the campaign. The facts that have come out from then do not look good for democrats, just like the crap they did to Bernie- but worse.
[TN;CP] Too nebulous; can't parse.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 11:47 PM   #102
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

Do you hear that? That is the sound of ultimate suffering.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:48 PM   #103
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Before you get all excited about that, you might want to read what came out of the Senate.
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:16 AM   #104
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
[TN;CP] Too nebulous; can't parse.
I believe it is an attempt at what JoeMorgue has already described in another thread.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post13196513

Quote:
To rational minds, yes. But again "LOL you have standards and don't live up to a strawman version of them 100% of the time while I have no standards and a nihilistic attitude about everything so can never be hypocritical or dramatic so I win" has been the text for a while and the subtext even longer than that.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 01:38 AM   #105
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

This is just sad on so many levels.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 04:58 AM   #106
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Scamming their base to enrich themselves is not a bug in the modern-day GOP, its a feature"
- Neal Katyal (paraphrased)
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 08:08 AM   #107
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

The future looks very bleak for Stevo. But what the hey, it was a heckuva ride, right Stevie boy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stevo before and after.jpg (103.3 KB, 25 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 08:20 AM   #108
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"Scamming their base to enrich themselves is not a bug in the modern-day GOP, its a feature"
- Neal Katyal (paraphrased)
Leopards Eating Peoples' Faces Party.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:23 AM   #109
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Stevo ain't going down without a fight! He called the charges a "fiasco" and was smiling when he left court after making bail.
Quote:
Former Donald Trump advisor Steve Bannon is free on a $5 million bond, secured by $1.75 million in assets, on charges of fraud and money laundering. A smiling Bannon left federal court in Manhattan, claiming his indictment was a “fiasco.” Bannon said that “This entire fiasco is to stop people who want to build the wall.” Link to Deadline dot com
It's Deep State Dems behind this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg It's all good!.jpg (89.7 KB, 14 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:30 AM   #110
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Stevo ain't going down without a fight! He called the charges a "fiasco" and was smiling when he left court after making bail.

I suspect he sincerely believes that the money he took from the fund was perfectly legitimate. A man of his organizing skills and financial genius cannot be found cheaply, you know. This was reasonable and customary use of salary and expenses for people organizing a non-profit.

He'll be genuinely surprised when he is found guilty.

Or......not. Due process and all that. Let's hear his case. Try not to laugh.
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:55 AM   #111
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I think what would have truly been astonishing to most people is, if instead, Bannon had said something like:

'These are very serious charges and I look forward to contesting them in court. I also want to assure the people who donated money to this fund that, despite these charges, their money was handled properly and legally.'

Only then he would have sounded like what he's not. A decent person.
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:41 PM   #112
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

'Process Crime'
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 01:25 PM   #113
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Damn, Cha-ka aged hard.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:19 PM   #114
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Its like he held it together for a few years and then just completely let himself go.

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 11:51 PM   #115
Venom
Philosopher

"political hit job"

Wait, by who?

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2020, 01:00 AM   #116
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Freshly made hot, buttery schadenfreude... nom nom nom

Old 23rd August 2020, 07:35 AM   #117
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Watching a few news clips...

The southern district of NY (which is handling the case) has a policy demanding "complete Co-operation" when they arrange plea deals. (That means the defendants have to agree to assist with any and all investigations, as opposed to just the crime they were charged with). What this means is that if Bannon decides to strike a deal, he could be required to help investigations into the trump administration.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 23rd August 2020, 07:45 AM   #118
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Its like he held it together for a few years and then just completely let himself go.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ro...20131129000554
Picture not showing, but I can imagine.
Old 23rd August 2020, 08:19 AM   #119
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't realize this until a former AUSA at SDNY pointed it out yesterday but it wasn't the white collar crime unit bringing charges. It's the public corruption unit, meaning the case involves a public official. None of the people indicted this week are serving public officials.
Old 23rd August 2020, 08:20 AM   #120
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No. This is the 5th time this has all been investigated. Only ONE person has been covicted of anything. It was investigated by Republican Robert Mueller. It produced about a dozen indictments including Americans and Russians. It was investigated by no less than 3 Congressional committees and it was deemed properly opened and properly predicated. It was investigated by Republican Inspector General Michael Horowitz. Nothing was found other than one guy who edited an email to get a FISA warrant. That was wrong and he deserved to be prosecuted. But this was not a political hit job put together by some huge conspiracy of high level Democrats.

Durham's got ****. It will be exaggerated and spun no doubt. We've seen Bill Barr in action with how he summarized the Mueller report inaccurately.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics