IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st October 2020, 05:39 AM   #1561
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

MinnesotaBrant has a birthday
I believe that, in the moderate papers, the Biden story has died. I didn't see it on any of my aggregate web feeds; including Fox news ones.
Old 31st October 2020, 05:44 AM   #1562
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Put this thread in the How Cultist Did It Get In The Bubble? time capsule.

Last edited by varwoche; 31st October 2020 at 05:45 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 09:10 AM   #1563
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
A key difference being, Steele framed his intel as raw and unverified.
And that Steele is a respected expert on Russia's intelligence services.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 09:16 AM   #1564
llwyd
Muse

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I believe that, in the moderate papers, the Biden story has died. I didn't see it on any of my aggregate web feeds; including Fox news ones.
Yeah, no traction whatsoever and it's getting to be too late. I think this was the silver bullet but it didn't have the propulsion to even exit the barrel
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 09:28 AM   #1565
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
His answer about "not standard procedure" was actually in reference to - did he reach out to *Joe Biden* or anyone who knew the Bidens. He follows up that up saying is standard procedure to contact the person who left the laptop.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 09:45 AM   #1566
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
And that Steele is a respected expert on Russia's intelligence services.
...who had spent decades building up the contacts that he relied on for the report.
Old 31st October 2020, 10:09 AM   #1567
crescent
Illuminator

This October surprise was no surprise. The Dems fully expected the Republicans to try something like this and were ready to tear into it.

Such tactics don't work as well as they used to, which is good. Hopefully the political impact of conspiracism fake news and dirty tricks is waning, for a while at least.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 11:16 AM   #1568
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that came out of the Trump admin is that Rudy G's reputation has been totally shredded and it was completely self-inflicted. I've seldom seen anyone self-destruct so spectacularly when drugs and/or alcohol weren't involved.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 11:41 AM   #1569
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
One thing that came out of the Trump admin is that Rudy G's reputation has been totally shredded and it was completely self-inflicted. I've seldom seen anyone self-destruct so spectacularly when drugs and/or alcohol weren't involved.
But at least his shirt is tucked in!
Old 31st October 2020, 11:50 AM   #1570
Venom
Philosopher

You sure about that?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 11:55 AM   #1571
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Nothing that Christopher Steele offered had this level of stink on it.
Well, there's that, the fact that it wasn't meant for press release, the fact that the feds were already looking into the same allegations at the time they learned of his work through seperate sources, that a good portion was correct as far as we can tell, that Steele himself wasn't an oafish spotlight chaser like Guiliani (who, let's not forget, has repeatedly managed to shoot Dolt 45 in the foot while doing so)...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 12:50 PM   #1572
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
As I said before, I don't even bother to have a laptop 'repaired" and I'm not a millionaire. I have a problem with a laptop I get it replaced. Any critical data is backed up. If there were critical data he needed to get off it, he wouldn't have abandoned it.

None of this passes the laugh test.
In terms of a comedian trying out new material, it's acing the laugh test. The whole theatre's rocking with every new line. The Tucker Carlson bit - "Hunter Biden's not running for President!" - well, sheer genius, the tears ran down my trouser-leg and no mistake. And, given the date and time, it does seem that this really is the October Surprise, not misdirection. Unless it's misdirection from the November Surprise, of course.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 01:57 PM   #1573
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Barr's house is being picketed by Trump supporters who believe he's not doing enough to lock up Joe Biden

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/s...937127426?s=19
Old 31st October 2020, 02:15 PM   #1574
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Barr's house is being picketed by Trump supporters who believe he's not doing enough to lock up Joe Biden

I LOVE this!

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 03:43 PM   #1575
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Because they don't care about Trump or how much he hurts them as long as he hurts the Liberals more....
Dovetails with those I personally have known of the GOP persuasion. Hard to accept at first, then it's time to move on, and shudder in relief.
Old 1st November 2020, 03:19 AM   #1576
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

Funny stuff, Trumptrash picketing Trumptrash. That's what Barr gets for being a traitor, protestors complaining he's not treasonous enough.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 03:58 PM   #1577
wareyin
Philosopher

Breaking news, Don Jr's laptop has been discovered on a local park bench. No word on how many photos of him snorting coke are on it yet.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 06:52 AM   #1578
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

How do you know they weren't?
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 06:56 AM   #1579
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hmmmm there's a giant pile of old laptops here at work.

I wonder how many of them are Hunter Biden's?

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 06:57 AM   #1580
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Saw that the problem of needing a password was tackled by claiming he used a "weak" password... Apple user accounts can't be set with "weak" passwords...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT20...ven%20stronger.

Apple policy requires you to use strong passwords for your Apple ID.*Your password must have eight or more characters and include upper and lowercase letters, and at least one number. You can also include extra characters and punctuation marks to make your password even stronger.*Apple also uses other password rules to make sure your password isn't easy to*guess.

Old 2nd November 2020, 06:59 AM   #1581
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Going by the number he has lost I'd say 50/50. I've a couple old ones hanging around, better check them.
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:25 AM   #1582
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

There's an easy way to test. First, find a sticker from some old liberal or Democrat event and stick it on the laptop in some prominent place. Then, take an old hard drive and load it with compromising stuff you find on the internet. Install that drive in the laptop. Finally, carefully search the laptop for a sticker from some old liberal or Democrat event. If you find such a sticker in a prominent place, then the laptop originally belonged to Hunter Biden!
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:42 AM   #1583
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Next, on Antique Road Show: "Now what we have here is actually an authentic, original, Hunter Biden laptop. Only 5 of these were ever made."
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:44 AM   #1584
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I have reason to believe that the secret Pizza Parlor Sex Dungeon Wayfair takeover plans on a CD left in the single Super Nintendo Playstation CD-ROM add-on prototype.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd November 2020 at 10:59 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:57 AM   #1585
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

They all are, unless you can prove they're not. Furthermore, as long as you can't open them, they will have video clips of Hunter doing PCP while taking bribes from China, the Ukraine, and Iran in between having sex with aborted fetuses.
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:25 AM   #1586
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

As the true believers drop off one by one, all 16 or 17 of them, should this be interpreted as an acknowledgement of embarrassment at having hitched their horses to such outlandish drivel?

Rhetorical.
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:31 AM   #1587
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
As the true believers drop off one by one, all 16 or 17 of them, should this be interpreted as an acknowledgement of embarrassment at having hitched their horses to such outlandish drivel?

Rhetorical.
Even Trump seems to drop off.

Trump seems to acknowledge that the Hunter Biden story isn’t having the desired impact, saying “outside of what I say, it is indeed fading away, because you can’t have a scandal nobody writes about.”

https://twitter.com/RosieGray/status...676509696?s=19
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:34 AM   #1588
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

They'll be back and suddenly talkative again when someone says something "dramatic" or something that can be nitpicked that isn't relevant.

Old 2nd November 2020, 12:14 PM   #1589
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
How do you know they weren't?
I've never heard that Rudy has a problem with drugs or alcohol so I'm not going to assume he does. I'm going to go on his past behavior of being a Trump toadie and particularly his actions during the impeachment.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:20 PM   #1590
xjx388

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Saw that the problem of needing a password was tackled by claiming he used a "weak" password... Apple user accounts can't be set with "weak" passwords...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT20...ven%20stronger.

Apple policy requires you to use strong passwords for your Apple ID.*Your password must have eight or more characters and include upper and lowercase letters, and at least one number. You can also include extra characters and punctuation marks to make your password even stronger.*Apple also uses other password rules to make sure your password isn't easy to*guess.

That's to access an icloud account. The password you use to actually access the physical laptop doesn't need to be so strong.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:42 PM   #1591
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

"So I parked my car in a not-so great neighborhood. I walked a couple of blocks away and realized "Oh crap! I left my Hunter Biden laptop sitting out open on the front seat!

I turned around and raced back to my car hoping I'd make it before anyone saw it out!

When I got back to my car, what did I find? Two more Hunter Biden laptops in the back seat!"

/oldjoke

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 02:03 PM   #1592
dmaker
Graduate Poster

My dishwasher stopped working yesterday. Repair person came today and found that it was clogged with a Hunter Biden laptop. I thought the exterminator had gotten rid of them all last week. Sheesh.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 02:07 PM   #1593
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
The password you use to actually access the physical laptop doesn't need to be so strong.
How strong does it need to be? (I don't have a Mac, and could not find any information on this via Google).
Old 2nd November 2020, 02:11 PM   #1594
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The far future.

The Hunter Biden laptops have taken over.

The mountains, the sky, the sea... all nothing but Hunter Biden laptops.

You hug your wife for comfort... she collapses into a pile of Hunter Biden laptops in your arms.

You open your mouth to scream but you have no mouth... for you are a Hunter Biden laptop.

Old 2nd November 2020, 02:22 PM   #1595
dmaker
Graduate Poster

All your Hunter Biden laptops are belong to us.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 03:05 PM   #1596
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This is the city: Los Angeles, California. Nearly three million Hunter Biden laptops have been found here...
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 04:09 PM   #1597
xjx388

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
How strong does it need to be? (I don't have a Mac, and could not find any information on this via Google).
I've only ever owned Macs and it has never rejected any password I've given it no matter how short or "easy" it is to guess. I just changed my password on the laptop to "Hello" and it accepted it no problem, not even a warning.

Now I do use a very complex and hard to guess password just for general computer hygene. If this laptop fell into the wrong hands . . .

Well, they'd be bored out of their minds, but still.
Old 2nd November 2020, 04:57 PM   #1598
dirtywick
Illuminator

If it was a foundation business laptop the IT department probably had stricter than default password protection. But since it’s a made up laptop it could literally be anything.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:15 PM   #1599
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Good news everyone, Rudy has just remembered that the laptop given to the FBI wasn't actually given to them by John Paul Ringo George. No siree, it was his brother out in Albuquerque who gave it to them first, before John Paul III gave it to them. However that is supposed to work...
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:50 AM   #1600
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

They'll be back and suddenly talkative again when someone says something "dramatic" or something that can be nitpicked that isn't relevant.
Sadly, I don't believe this thread/topic will die with a trump election loss.

This could be a talking point for the next four + years...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics