IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brad Raffensberger , donald trump , election fraud charges , Georgia elections , politics scandals

Old 5th January 2021, 09:29 AM   #241
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
But the Secretary and his lawyer barely got a word in.
If they had any sense they planned to not talk a lot and chose their words carefully when they did.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 09:50 AM   #242
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
If they had any sense they planned to not talk a lot and chose their words carefully when they did.
Clearly. Which made it a bit funny and pathetic. An hour long call and Trump spoke for probably 56 minutes and that's maybe underselling it.
Old 5th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #243
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Clearly. Which made it a bit funny and pathetic. An hour long call and Trump spoke for probably 56 minutes and that's maybe underselling it.
It would have been kind of cool if one of them had snuck in a "Will you shut up, man?"
Old 5th January 2021, 10:40 AM   #244
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump talks and interrupts because he can't stand it when anyone challenges his beliefs.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 10:44 AM   #245
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It would have been kind of cool if one of them had snuck in a "Will you shut up, man?"
Like Biden did in the debate.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:19 PM   #246
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I listened to about the first half of the call, and then I got so nauseated that I could not listen to the last half.

The two major things I noticed was that:

First, Trump did just about all of the talking even though there were many people on the line.

Second, much of the time Trump would start his various spiels with phrases like:

"It is rumored that ..." or

"I heard that ...." or

"People are saying that ..." or

"A very smart person said that ..."

In short, Trump never claimed to have any evidence of his own.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #247
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I listened to about the first half of the call, and then I got so nauseated that I could not listen to the last half.

The two major things I noticed was that:

First, Trump did just about all of the talking even though there were many people on the line.

Second, much of the time Trump would start his various spiels with phrases like:

"It is rumored that ..." or

"I heard that ...." or

"People are saying that ..." or

"A very smart person said that ..."

He always talks that way. He rarely admits to having a thought of his own.

Can't sue him if he never says anything. A lesson he must have learned early in his "career".
Old 5th January 2021, 12:46 PM   #248
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Huh? He claimed to have evidence many times.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:50 PM   #249
Cain
Straussian

How bad is it really? Well... in the GOP Civil War, Mitch McConnell is one of the good guys.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #250
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
How bad is it really? Well... in the GOP Civil War, Mitch McConnell is one of the good guys.
The irony.
Old 5th January 2021, 01:06 PM   #251
Crossbow

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Huh? He claimed to have evidence many times.
What he was doing was claiming that other people had the evidence.

Which is not the same thing as saying that he has his own evidence.

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #252
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

Can't sue him if he never says anything. A lesson he must have learned early in his "career".
Thanks much.

That is about what I was thinking as well.

After all, I have seen when he overplays his hand his usual retort is something like "Well ... That is what I was told.".

Old 5th January 2021, 01:10 PM   #253
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What he was doing was claiming that other people had the evidence.

Which is not the same thing as saying that he has his own evidence.
He says many times, "I won". I don't think pedantry about him claiming to have the evidence or to having seen the evidence is worth the time to hunt through the transcript.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:14 PM   #254
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He says many times, "I won". I don't think pedantry about him claiming to have the evidence or to having seen the evidence is worth the time to hunt through the transcript.
I can save you the effort of the hunt you speak of ...

First, Trump does not have his own evidence of an illegal/fake election.

Second, Trump says that other people have the evidence of an illegal/fake election.

Old 5th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #255
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

Popehat said something similar in one of the podcasts. Basically that he's so completely full of **** that no reasonable person would ever take him seriously. It worked for Tucker Carlson too, and didn't faze the nutters a single iota. Alex Jones, etc. It's becoming disturbingly stupid that they're allowed to get away with it (In Jones case I don't think it worked), but it is what it is I guess.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:23 PM   #256
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

"Certified." He kept saying that he had "certified" numbers, apparently because certified public accountants were coming up with them.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:24 PM   #257
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Thanks much.

That is about what I was thinking as well.

After all, I have seen when he overplays his hand his usual retort is something like "Well ... That is what I was told.".
Among the reasons I am upset at the WH press corp:

When faced with Trump’s retort, no one ever says, “Really. Why do you have such incompetent people working for you?”

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th January 2021 at 01:25 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:29 PM   #258
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump talks and interrupts because he can't stand it when anyone challenges his beliefs.
More precisely, Trump talks and interrupts because he can’t stand it when anyone else talks. Even when they are not challenging his beliefs they are taking up his “airtime.”
Old 5th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #259
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Second, Trump says that other people have the evidence of an illegal/fake election.
Of course he doesn't have the evidence. I think we all know that.

And of course he says more than once that other people do.

The transcript
Quote:
We won very substantially in Georgia...

We have at least 2 or 3 - anywhere from 250 to 300,000 ballots were dropped mysteriously into the rolls. ...
Variations of the latter sentence are repeated often.

It's not until he gets to this sentence that he starts talking about other people having the evidence:
Quote:
People have been saying that it was the highest vote ever.
He goes right back to I/we.
Quote:
As you know, every single state, we won every state. We won every statehouse in the country. We held the Senate, which is shocking to people, although we'll see what happens tomorrow or in a few days.

And we won the House, but we won every single statehouse, and we won Congress,
That's as far as I want to bother with. Trump says "we have" more often than he says "they have" in the first part of the speech.
Old 5th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #260
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I think we all know that by now from hearing him speak often enough, and yeah, even allowing for the fact that most people's speech looks ridiculous on the page, it is often really impossible to tell where he is even going when reading something he has said. He barely gets halfway into a thought before he is off on another one.

It's an odd mixture of demands, threats, flattery, fawning and bigging himself up all at the same time.
And amazingly, Team Trump convinced that MAGAheads that if Biden even stuttered during a debate it was a sign of mental decline.

I am reminded of “As Good as it Gets.” When Nicholson’s character is asked why he is so good at writing women’s dialogue in his books, he says “I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.”

That’s the Trump/GOP playbook.
Old 5th January 2021, 02:11 PM   #261
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I really have no idea why you want to claim Trump never said he had the evidence especially since you say you didn't listen to the whole conversation. He clearly says he has it multiple times. He clearly says he is in control of the evidence he claims he has by saying he'll release it. He describes some of it in ways that only make sense if he's seen it. His lawyer even goes in to some detail about what Trump has and what they want Georgia to supply to fill in supposed gaps.
Old 5th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #262
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
I'd think they were idiots for believing witchcraft is real.
I don't know how that happened.. The ' W" is nowhere near the 'B' on the keyboard..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 5th January 2021 at 02:21 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #263
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Among the reasons I am upset at the WH press corp:

When faced with Trump’s retort, no one ever says, “Really. Why do you have such incompetent people working for you?”
They had to walk a thin line, not piss Trump off so much he banned them from press briefings altogether while trying to get at least some responses from him.
Old 5th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #264
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I don't know how that happened.. The ' W" is nowhere near the 'B' on the keyboard..
File this one under "people who thought it would be funny to vote for Trump have no sense of humor"?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 03:41 PM   #265
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

The lawyer who was with Trump during the phone call "resigned" from her law firm.

Quote:
Mitchell’s resignation came after the firm Monday issued a statement saying it was “concerned by” her role in the call.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3a1_story.html

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 03:49 PM   #266
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
File this one under "people who thought it would be funny to vote for Trump have no sense of humor"?
I don't understand people who feel the sitting President has little, if anything, to do with their personal life..

Fortunately I haven't travelled abroad in the last four years, and have had no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed..

I have been alive during the terms of 13, soon to be 14, Presidents, and only two of them have affected me in any meaningful way..

John Kennedy made it hard to get Cuban cigars, and Barack Obama fixed that..
Old 5th January 2021, 03:50 PM   #267
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
The lawyer who was with Trump during the phone call "resigned" from her law firm.

And another person who tried to cling to Trump for success gets stuck taking the fall for Trump. Will his luck run out after he leaves the White House? Next month, will it be Donald Trump himself who pays the piper?

Stay tuned.
Old 5th January 2021, 03:59 PM   #268
eerok
Quixoticist

Supporting Trump's stupid election fraud crap is legally toxic.
Old 5th January 2021, 04:14 PM   #269
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand people who feel the sitting President has little, if anything, to do with their personal life..

Fortunately I haven't travelled abroad in the last four years, and have had no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed..

I have been alive during the terms of 13, soon to be 14, Presidents, and only two of them have affected me in any meaningful way..
Nonsense, you're just unaware of their effects. There's a difference
Old 5th January 2021, 04:38 PM   #270
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

If I'm unaware, what is the difference?

What has a President done that has affected you in a personal, meaningful way?
Be specific. We can take them one at a time.

Do we need a new thread?

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 5th January 2021 at 04:42 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 04:46 PM   #271
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That is so weird. I thought Trump was speaking over Mitchell because she was on the Georgia side of the call supporting Raffensperger.

Was she on the Georgia side of the call but she's a Trump advisor?

Trump legal adviser leaves law firm citing 'massive pressure campaign' following Georgia phone call leak

Or maybe I'm reading 'Trump legal adviser' wrong.

It's worth noting the pressure she got was from the left.
Quote:
"As you are probably aware, there has been a massive pressure campaign in the last several days mounted by leftist groups via social media and other means against me, my law firm, and clients of the law firm, because of my personal involvement with President Trump, his campaign and the White House, related to the November 3 general election in Georgia," Mitchell wrote.

On a related note: CNN: Trump hand-picks replacement for Atlanta's US attorney after surprise resignation

So does that have anything to do with state charges that might result from the phone call?

I can't keep up.
Old 5th January 2021, 04:52 PM   #272
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Do we need a new thread?
Ronald Reagan spent so much on military spending that a graduating electrical engineer was almost forced to work on military programs in order to find a job. That affected my life personally.

ETA: The above is offered as an illustration of how a president can affect your life, even indirectly.
Old 5th January 2021, 04:56 PM   #273
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Do we need a new thread?
It's quite possible to suffer (or observe in people you care for) adversities and not be aware of influencing factors.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #274
dirtywick
Illuminator

anyone who bought anything made out of aluminum or steel in the last couple of years was effected by who was president
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:13 PM   #275
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Ronald Reagan spent so much on military spending that a graduating electrical engineer was almost forced to work on military programs in order to find a job. That affected my life personally.

ETA: The above is offered as an illustration of how a president can affect your life, even indirectly.
Good example..
I do not have anything similar to have happened to me.

P.S.

Did you think at the time that 'Reagan is doing this to me?'

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
It's quite possible to suffer (or observe in people you care for) adversities and not be aware of influencing factors.
Of course it is.

I'm just not personally aware of how the POTUS has affected me in this way.

Which is what I said.. Well, except for the cigar thing..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 5th January 2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 5th January 2021, 05:20 PM   #276
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

John Kennedy made it hard to get Cuban cigars, and Barack Obama fixed that.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:23 PM   #277
wareyin
Philosopher

You seem to be claiming the sitting President has little to do with your personal life later in this very post. I can't see how this was a typo, so are you claiming you don't understand your own point of view or did this just get jumbled?

I have, and I also have friends who live abroad as well as friends who are from outside the country. That said, had I not traveled or spoken or known anyone from outside the country, I still am ashamed and embarrassed that our country elected Trump. But that requires the ability to understand how the President affects our country, our world, and our lives as individuals. From your final paragraph, I don't think that's something we share.

John Kennedy made it hard to get Cuban cigars, and Barack Obama fixed that..
As I said..
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:29 PM   #278
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
anyone who bought anything made out of aluminum or steel in the last couple of years was effected by who was president
The President does not affect those things in a vacuum.

What do you know about Clinton's position on trade and tariffs; particularly when it comes to China?
Old 5th January 2021, 05:33 PM   #279
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post

As I said..
And you suggested I didn't have a sense of humor..
Old 5th January 2021, 05:41 PM   #280
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Do we need a new thread?
Lets see. Reagan raised the rate of FICA taxes. He doubled it. This led to a larger percentage of my weekly check taken out. My brother lost his home to his skyrocketing interest rates on his ARM and the mortgage crash.

My eldest brother went to Vietnam because of LBJ.
I haven't needed Medicare but someday I might. That was created by LBJ.
Carter ended the redlining in home mortgages.
Carter deregulated the Airlines which made travel both more inexpensive and less comfortable.

There are foreign policy decisions that affects food and fuel prices.

The cost of automobiles. Jobs in manufacturing being shipped abroad. Eisenhower created the Interstate Highway Act. That created millions of jobs and made travel easy. FDR created Social Security.

Care for me to go on? I can.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics