IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:22 AM   #201
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes, well it was a small action, but it had a big effect on me. If they have given me six numbers that would have been real interference, and it would have meant I took a lot of money from someone else. But I only got enough money to buy a computer, and that hardly made any difference to any other winners.
You have no way of knowing that. How do you know that other entrants in the lottery did not have lofty and selfless objectives in mind should they have won?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:23 AM   #202
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,180
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am not a bible scholar. I know the Quran better than the bible, as I have read it all through three times. I have not done that with the bible.
Ok, fine. The Upanishads then. Which bits are inspired and how can you tell?

How do you know that any of the bible is inspired if you haven't read it through? If you have but you still don't know, how can you make that claim?

Pick any holy book you believe to have been at least in part inspired. Which bits are inspired and how can you tell?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:24 AM   #203
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
These false doctrines need to be broken down so that greater spiritual truths can replace them.
From your explanation, your "greater spiritual truths" fare far worse than the Bible in answering hard moral questions. Your religion introduces a bastardized dharmic ethic and a richly evolved, cyclical afterlife that means the dirty details of the life experiences we do know about have to be reconciled with them. Your ability to do so is sadly lacking. You whine that we pose you irrelevant corner cases, and that we should remain focused on the big picture. No! If you propose that your cosmology and ethics are better than what came before, you have to demonstrate that.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:25 AM   #204
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,180
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The spirit world say that religious dogma in the bible is outdated, and that must go double for the Quran. These false doctrines need to be broken down so that greater spiritual truths can replace them.
1. How do you know that's what the spirits are saying?

2. Even if it is, didn't you say bits of the bible were divinely inspired? I can understand throwing out the human additions and distortions but why get rid of all the bible?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:25 AM   #205
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
We know you don't think so. But you have literally no rational means of convincing anyone else of that. A more conscientious person would realize that state of affairs and act accordingly. You don't act accordingly; you insist to others that you must be right and you insist to those same others that they must be wrong. How is your behavior in that respect anything other than arrogant and rude?
I am not trying to be rude.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:27 AM   #206
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,180
You may well not be trying to be rude, but coming into a thread and insisting everyone else in it is wrong and only you are right without any evidence whatsoever, and indeed stating that you have no way to prove your point but that you are still right is the very height of hubris and is extremely rude.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:28 AM   #207
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
1. How do you know that's what the spirits are saying?

2. Even if it is, didn't you say bits of the bible were divinely inspired? I can understand throwing out the human additions and distortions but why get rid of all the bible?
It says so in the teachings of Silver Birch. I did not say get rid of all the bible, spiritualists believe in most of the teachings of Jesus.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:29 AM   #208
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
You may well not be trying to be rude, but coming into a thread and insisting everyone else in it is wrong and only you are right without any evidence whatsoever, and indeed stating that you have no way to prove your point but that you are still right is the very height of hubris and is extremely rude.
I don't see it that way.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:32 AM   #209
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 22,413
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am not trying to be rude.
It clearly takes zero effort on your part.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:32 AM   #210
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am not trying to be rude.
Nevertheless you are. What does that say for your karmic outcome?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:32 AM   #211
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I don't see it that way.
Indeed, your lack of empathy is a big part of the problem you're having on this forum, and possibly other areas of your life.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:35 AM   #212
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It says so in the teachings of Silver Birch.
Not a reliable source.

Quote:
I did not say get rid of all the bible, spiritualists believe in most of the teachings of Jesus.
The central teaching of Jesus is diametrically opposed to the model of responsibility in your religion. Christianity teaches that we do not merit anything of ourselves, but that through the intercession of Jesus we may be forgiven and receive a reward. Further, it teaches that Jesus was divine. Since he clearly came into this world and influenced it heavily, that rather flies in the face of your claim that the spirit world can do nothing to affect this one aside from inconsequential "inspiration."

Last edited by JayUtah; 23rd June 2021 at 08:39 AM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:39 AM   #213
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Nevertheless you are. What does that say for your karmic outcome?
I think I am doing what I was meant to do.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:45 AM   #214
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I think I am doing what I was meant to do.
What if you're wrong?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:56 AM   #215
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
What if you're wrong?
What if I'm not?
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:03 AM   #216
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
You have no way of knowing that. How do you know that other entrants in the lottery did not have lofty and selfless objectives in mind should they have won?
There were a number of five number winners all wining £1182. Which is what I won. The top prize was £20 million pounds. I took hardly any money from them.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:05 AM   #217
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 22,413
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
What if I'm not?
If you are wrong, then you have merely wasted an awful lot of time on pointless rambling.

If you are right, then you are in a world of hurt according to your beliefs. After all, the angels of karma are watching carefully and taking notes in the karmic ledger.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 23rd June 2021 at 09:07 AM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:08 AM   #218
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
What if I'm not?
Don't be childish.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:09 AM   #219
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There were a number of five number winners all wining £1182. Which is what I won. The top prize was £20 million pounds. I took hardly any money from them.
The amount is irrelevant. You have no way of knowing to what noble or necessary purpose someone else would have put that money.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:11 AM   #220
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 22,413
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There were a number of five number winners all wining £1182. Which is what I won. The top prize was £20 million pounds. I took hardly any money from them.
Nope. You took that money from everyone who played and lost. You had your hand in the pocket of every single loser on the lottery.

There is a reason why lotteries are known as a tax on the poor.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:16 AM   #221
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Ok, fine. The Upanishads then. Which bits are inspired and how can you tell?

How do you know that any of the bible is inspired if you haven't read it through? If you have but you still don't know, how can you make that claim?

Pick any holy book you believe to have been at least in part inspired. Which bits are inspired and how can you tell?

How much of the Upanishads do you want me to quote? Most of it is inspiring, here is a sample.

Bright but hidden, the self dwells in the heart.
Everything that moves, breathes, opens and closes
lives in the self. He is the source of love
and may be known through love but not through thought.
He is the goal of life. Attain this goal.

The Mundaka Upanishad

I could quote such verses all day and as you can see it says the self can only be known through love, not through thought. A lesson for everyone here.

I have read much of the actual teachings of Jesus and find it inspiring. I do not care much for the doctrines of the Christian church.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:20 AM   #222
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope. You took that money from everyone who played and lost. You had your hand in the pocket of every single loser on the lottery.

There is a reason why lotteries are known as a tax on the poor.
No, the losers would not have had a stake in the winnings. The most I took from other winners was a fraction of 20 million pounds.
In any case I did not take it, the spirit world gave it to me. I believe it may have either been a high up spirit who was developed enough to see into the future, or it was an actual angel of karma.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:27 AM   #223
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,180
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
How much of the Upanishads do you want me to quote? Most of it is inspiring, here is a sample.

Bright but hidden, the self dwells in the heart.
Everything that moves, breathes, opens and closes
lives in the self. He is the source of love
and may be known through love but not through thought.
He is the goal of life. Attain this goal.

The Mundaka Upanishad

I could quote such verses all day and as you can see it says the self can only be known through love, not through thought. A lesson for everyone here.

I have read much of the actual teachings of Jesus and find it inspiring. I do not care much for the doctrines of the Christian church.
Naughty naughty, you're changing horses. I didn't ask which bits were inspiring, I asked which bits were inspired. You claimed parts of the Upanishads and the Bible were divinely inspired (or spiritually inspired if you prefer). I want to know which parts and how you know they were inspired.

I find bits of various religious texts impressive, or contain decent morals or I can even find them inspiring. Like Jay says, I can find bits of music inspiring. That doesn't mean the same as inspired.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:29 AM   #224
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,337
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have read much of the actual teachings of Jesus and find it inspiring. I do not care much for the doctrines of the Christian church.
The question is not how you react to the teachings of Jesus, but what convinces you that they are inspired by the spirit world. Regardless of how you feel about the organizations that have sprung up claiming to worship Jesus, the central doctrines I mentioned are part of his teaching and cannot be ignored. If his central message flies in the face of what you say about the spirit world, where does that put him?
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:30 AM   #225
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,900
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There were a number of five number winners all wining £1182. Which is what I won.
Why did the angels of karma give all the others £1182, do you think? Their chances of winning it were no better than yours, so if pure luck is insufficient explanation for your win it must be insufficient for theirs too, right? How many of them also had a premonition they would win, I wonder? Quite a few, judging by the lottery players I've known.

Quote:
The top prize was £20 million pounds
Blimey, the angels of karma must have really liked whoever they helped get that prize. The odds against winning it are astronomical, so it couldn't possibly have just been luck.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:31 AM   #226
Gamolon
Master Poster
 
Gamolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,549
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes, well it was a small action, but it had a big effect on me. If they have given me six numbers that would have been real interference, and it would have meant I took a lot of money from someone else. But I only got enough money to buy a computer, and that hardly made any difference to any other winners.

Naturally I tried to get them to give me six numbers after that event. But I knew in my heart they never would, because it would have been bad karma.
I see.

So now there are levels of interference? Small interferences are allowed, but big ones are not.

It was ok for you to take money, no matter how small, away from someone else who may have really need it?

Is this how you justify in your own mind that it was ok to take money from someone else? Because it was a just a "small amount"?
Gamolon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:32 AM   #227
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Naughty naughty, you're changing horses. I didn't ask which bits were inspiring, I asked which bits were inspired. You claimed parts of the Upanishads and the Bible were divinely inspired (or spiritually inspired if you prefer). I want to know which parts and how you know they were inspired.

I find bits of various religious texts impressive, or contain decent morals or I can even find them inspiring. Like Jay says, I can find bits of music inspiring. That doesn't mean the same as inspired.
I think most of the Upanishads were inspired. Because of their quality.
I cannot dissect the entire Upanishads, and bible to pieces on this thread.
It is the work of years.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:35 AM   #228
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Why did the angels of karma give all the others £1182, do you think? Their chances of winning it were no better than yours, so if pure luck is insufficient explanation for your win it must be insufficient for theirs too, right? How many of them also had a premonition they would win, I wonder? Quite a few, judging by the lottery players I've known.


Blimey, the angels of karma must have really liked whoever they helped get that prize. The odds against winning it are astronomical, so it couldn't possibly have just been luck.
I hardly believe that the angels of karma keep giving people lottery numbers. It was just a special dispensation to me that week.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:36 AM   #229
Gamolon
Master Poster
 
Gamolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,549
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I hardly believe that the angels of karma keep giving people lottery numbers. It was just a special dispensation to me that week.
So they went against God's rules and interfered with you so you could get money?
Gamolon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:37 AM   #230
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by Gamolon View Post
I see.

So now there are levels of interference? Small interferences are allowed, but big ones are not.

It was ok for you to take money, no matter how small, away from someone else who may have really need it?

Is this how you justify in your own mind that it was ok to take money from someone else? Because it was a just a "small amount"?
The big winners divided £20 million between them, they did not need my £1182
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:37 AM   #231
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 22,413
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, the losers would not have had a stake in the winnings.
Really, Scorpion? All the losers got their tickets for free?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The most I took from other winners was a fraction of 20 million pounds.
Nope. You stole 50p from the pockets of 2364 individuals.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
In any case I did not take it, the spirit world gave it to me. I believe it may have either been a high up spirit who was developed enough to see into the future, or it was an actual angel of karma.
What is the karmic debt for stealing from the pockets of 2364 individuals?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:38 AM   #232
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,180
So just because they were of high quality? The bits that aren't inspired are the...lower quality bits?

So anything of really high quality is inspired by the spirit world? The Upanishads, Ridley Scott's Aliens, the Peter Gabriel album So...these are all exceptional quality versions of their form of media. Are they all inspired?

What if someone disagrees on the quality of a piece of media? What if something thinks that your spirit inspired painting was bad and insipid? What if someone finds 2001:A Space Odyssey boring like my mother does? I don't, I think it's glorious cinema.

It can't just be quality because people have very different opinions on what is quality.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:39 AM   #233
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,900
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I hardly believe that the angels of karma keep giving people lottery numbers. It was just a special dispensation to me that week.
So pure luck is fine as an explanation for everyone else's win, but not for yours? Why?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:39 AM   #234
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by Gamolon View Post
So they went against God's rules and interfered with you so you could get money?
It cannot have been against Gods rules if they did it. Maybe they just bent the rules a little.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:40 AM   #235
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
So pure luck is fine as an explanation for everyone else's win, but not for yours? Why?
Because the voice told me I would win one hour before the draw..
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:42 AM   #236
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,180
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Because the voice told me I would win one hour before the draw..
Well done, you're committing the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy. Again.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:45 AM   #237
Gamolon
Master Poster
 
Gamolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,549
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The big winners divided £20 million between them, they did not need my £1182
That's how you're justifying it? You STILL took money, small or large amount, from someone else who needed it more.
Gamolon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:45 AM   #238
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by Gamolon View Post
That's how you're justifying it? You STILL took money, small or large amount, from someone else who needed it more.
How do you know who needed the money more than me?
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:46 AM   #239
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,900
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Because the voice told me I would win one hour before the draw..
Lots of people have some kind of premonition that they will win. Sometimes they do win, sometimes they don't. If they do, are they also being helped by the angels of karma?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 09:47 AM   #240
Gamolon
Master Poster
 
Gamolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,549
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It cannot have been against Gods rules if they did it. Maybe they just bent the rules a little.
Bent the rules?

That's going against the rules Scorpion. You're saying God has no control over his angels.
Gamolon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.