IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags britney spears , celebrity incidents , celebrity issues

Old 6th July 2021, 09:40 AM   #41
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Sounds like more conspiracy stuff, to me.
What conspiracy? It seems to me like an unfortunate intersection of law and unscrupulous parent.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 09:41 AM   #42
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What conspiracy? It seems to me like an unfortunate intersection of law and unscrupulous parent.
All we need now is real evidence to back that up, and we are set. Until then...
Old 6th July 2021, 09:42 AM   #43
Michel H
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Her conservators control all aspects of her life. They would need to approve such an interview. Not likely.
I am a little skeptical about this. I can't really imagine Britney being sent to jail because she gave an unauthorized interview.

I mean, at 39 years old, perhaps she has to take her life back into her own hands, and stop being the overprotected (?) pretty doll.

Last edited by Michel H; 6th July 2021 at 09:49 AM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 09:43 AM   #44
Belz...
Fiend God

All we need now is real evidence to back that up, and we are set. Until then...
To back up what, precisely? What is it that you find hard to believe?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 09:46 AM   #45
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Any resistance to this scheme results in exorbitant legal fees that she must pay for.
And she has to pay for the lawyers for both sides, and doesn't get a say in who either are.
Old 6th July 2021, 09:48 AM   #46
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like more conspiracy stuff, to me.

Does the above sound a little odd, coming from a 39-year-old woman?

https://www.eonline.com/news/1285134...p-mistreatment

But, I guess this is all part of the conspiracy.

Spears became her family's meal ticket as a young teenager. Her father gets a percentage of the money from her concerts. Her looks and sex appeal are a high priority to him and everybody else who depends on her cash.

From the link:
Quote:
“Jamie [her father-ed] said, ‘Baby,’ ” Butcher recalled, “and I thought he was going to say, ‘We love you, but you need help.’ But what he said was ‘You’re fat. Daddy’s gonna get you on a diet and a trainer, and you’re gonna get back in shape.’ ” Butcher felt sick. Jamie pointed at the TV and said, “You see that TV over there? You know what it’s going to say in eight weeks? That’s gonna be you on there, and they’re gonna say, ‘She’s back.’ ”
https://www.newyorker.com/news/ameri...ship-nightmare

If she doesn't do what he wants he limits her access to her children. The issue is not her mental health. The issue is that she has no rights. Even mental illness rarely results in this kind of permanent conservatorship.

You obviously haven't read the link that you so casually dismiss.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 09:51 AM   #47
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And she has to pay for the lawyers for both sides, and doesn't get a say in who either are.
Really? Who the **** wrote that law?

Old 6th July 2021, 09:53 AM   #48
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I am a little skeptical about this. I can't really imagine Britney being sent to jail because she gave an unauthorized interview.

I mean, at 39 years old, perhaps she has to take her life back into her own hands, and stop being the overprotected (?) pretty doll.

Jail isn't the issue. She is monitored constantly. How would such an interview be arranged? Who would sign the contracts and releases? They wouldn't be binding if she signed them herself. She has no rights. And if she pulled it off, her conservators could impose even tougher restrictions. Her father already uses access to her children to control her. Her statement in court -- which her conservators tried to close to the public -- was her best shot at speaking out.

She can't "take her life back into her own hands," unless and until the court allows it, and her conservators are fighting her tooth and nail with her own money.

It really sounds like some people don't understand the core issue here.

Last edited by Bob001; 6th July 2021 at 09:58 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 09:57 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Jail isn't the issue. She is monitored constantly. How would such an interview be arranged? Who would sign the contracts and releases? They wouldn't be binding if she signed them herself. She has no rights. And if she pulled it off, her conservators could impose even tougher restrictions. Her father already uses access to her children to control her. Her statement in court -- which her conservators tried to close to the public -- was her best shot at speaking out.

She can't take her life back into her own hands, unless and until the court allows it, and her conservators are fighting her tooth and nail with her own money.
Sounds like a job for Liam Neeson or Denzel Washington. Or both.

Old 6th July 2021, 10:00 AM   #50
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"Help and support" is one thing. "Be in total control of all her decisions and all her money" is another.

It's like she is apparently capable of doing a residency in Las Vegas for 4 years, of recording entire albums and promoting them, of being a judge on a talent show, and of taking on acting roles...but she can't be trusted to choose her own lawyer? Or her own housekeeper? Or to write a former employee a reference? Or to own a phone?
It is not an easy decision. Been there, done that. Spears is a no brainer. Finding one's father on the deck tends to focus one about what matters.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 10:06 AM   #51
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

They might be able to get her out. But Daddy would still have her money.
Old 6th July 2021, 10:07 AM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

They might be able to get her out. But Daddy would still have her money.
I'm not sure you understood my meaning. No one would be left alive except Britney once they'd be done.

Old 6th July 2021, 10:18 AM   #53
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure you understood my meaning. No one would be left alive except Britney once they'd be done.
Liam and Denzel are good guys. They'd give Britney's "team" a chance to give up. But if they made the wrong decision.....
Old 6th July 2021, 10:20 AM   #54
Cain
Straussian

It's sad that family members are taking advantage of her when a boyfriend-turned-husband could be taking advantage of her.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 10:24 AM   #55
Michel H
Master Poster

Perhaps they could make a verbal agreement, and give the (interview's) money to charity.

More generally, it is perhaps important for her to be proactive, and - why not - learn to disobey some rules (or bad habits) that are really bad (this might be useful to others in comparable situations). I am facing some legal issues related to an inheritance myself these days, and I have found it important to not be just a "yes man".
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 10:24 AM   #56
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It's sad that family members are taking advantage of her when a boyfriend-turned-husband could be taking advantage of her.
At least divorce is an option to dump a mooching husband. Spears' father is parasite that is going to prove extremely difficult to detach from her bank account.
Old 6th July 2021, 10:26 AM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

90% of our rock gods spent the entire 60s/70s/80s/90s in drug filled stupors destroying their lives and barely (or even not at all) surviving it and nobody decided to put Keith Moon or Ozzy or whoever in a state of permanent legal childhood "for their own good" so... yeah this code ain't compiling for me.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th July 2021 at 10:32 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 10:41 AM   #58
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
90% of our rock gods spent the entire 60s/70s/80s/90s in drug filled stupors destroying their lives and barely (or even not at all) surviving it and nobody decided to put Keith Moon or Ozzy or whoever in a state of permanent legal childhood "for their own good" so... yeah this code ain't compiling for me.
Well, they weren't child stars with their parents on the ground since day 1 making sure they got their cut of the deal. It's pretty gross considering how long they've been pumping their daughter's starpower for cash. She's been in the biz since she was an early teen, and she's nearly 40 now and still under the shadow of her parents.

If there's going to be speculation about her mental wellbeing, it seems only appropriate to wonder how much damage was done to her emotionally by having this child-stardom life foisted on her by her parents who happened to profit quite nicely in turn.

Maybe if she had a more normal upbringing she'd be better equipped to deal with the ups and downs of a mental disorder. Instead she has to deal with money grubbing family threatening her to make sure the Britney money machine keeps turning.
Old 6th July 2021, 10:47 AM   #59
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'll leave you to find out the crucial difference them and Spears.

Old 6th July 2021, 11:01 AM   #60
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

At least divorce is an option to dump a mooching husband. Spears' father is parasite that is going to prove extremely difficult to detach from her bank account.
I don't think we can make any such conclusion, but money grubbing seems the motivation so far. Were it my child, I would be getting it sorted, not hurtling her out to random concerts. Because I would care about my child.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 11:08 AM   #61
Cain
Straussian

He's reportedly paid $16,000 a month, which works out to less than 200K/year. I assume that's a competitive rate given the size of the estate he oversees. There are two ways people tend to lose money: Gradually and suddenly. She makes far more in royalties than what she pays this guy. He was probably more exploitive before the courts were involved. That said, I don't see why she should not be allowed to breed or marry (with lawyers putting a prenup in place). Or why a showbiz parent who pimped his daughter out to this unforgiving industry as a child would still be in charge through adulthood (against her wishes). Then again, if I came to my senses, I wouldn't concern with this mentally ill, wildly over-paid deca-millionaire when the system mistreats people living on the street.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 11:13 AM   #62
Warp12
Graduate Poster

He's reportedly paid $16,000 a month, which works out to less than 200K/year. I assume that's a competitive rate given the size of the estate he oversees. There are two ways people tend to lose money: Gradually and suddenly. She makes far more in royalties than what she pays this guy. He was probably more exploitive before the courts were involved. That said, I don't see why she should not be allowed to breed or marry (with lawyers putting a prenup in place). Or why a showbiz parent who pimped his daughter out to this unforgiving industry as a child would still be in charge through adulthood (against her wishes). Then again, if I came to my senses, I wouldn't concern with this mentally ill, wildly over-paid deca-millionaire when the system mistreats people living on the street.
Quote:
"As to Britney's right to marry, that is unaffected by the conservatorship under Probate Code §1900. As to family planning, that is also unaffected by the conservatorship," Montgomery's attorney Lauriann Wright said in the statement obtained by PEOPLE. "If Britney needs any assistance with either, Ms. Montgomery has and will be there to provide any assistance needed to Britney.
https://people.com/music/britney-spe...nservatorship/
Old 6th July 2021, 11:36 AM   #63
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps they could make a verbal agreement, and give the (interview's) money to charity.

More generally, it is perhaps important for her to be proactive, and - why not - learn to disobey some rules (or bad habits) that are really bad (this might be useful to others in comparable situations). I am facing some legal issues related to an inheritance myself these days, and I have found it important to not be just a "yes man".
You really don't understand. She is closely supervised. She can't even have her own phone. She can't make her own medical decisions. She can't see her children without her conservators' permission. More important, if she actively resists her conservators, they would use it as more evidence that she needs close supervision. I doubt that your "legal issues" are in any way comparable.
Old 6th July 2021, 11:40 AM   #64
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That's what they're saying now. We don't know what they were telling Spears previously.

Last edited by Bob001; 6th July 2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 6th July 2021, 11:43 AM   #65
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Then again, if I came to my senses, I wouldn't concern with this mentally ill, wildly over-paid deca-millionaire when the system mistreats people living on the street.
The fact that she is a deca-millionaire (I dunno if she's overpaid in comparison with a lot of other stars of limited talent) is the root cause of her situation. People living on the streets don't have anything anybody wants.
Old 6th July 2021, 11:45 AM   #66
Chanakya

I second that sentiment!
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 12:20 PM   #67
Michel H
Master Poster

You really don't understand. She is closely supervised. She can't even have her own phone. She can't make her own medical decisions. She can't see her children without her conservators' permission. More important, if she actively resists her conservators, they would use it as more evidence that she needs close supervision. I doubt that your "legal issues" are in any way comparable.
My legal issues are, in a sense, serious, because, in my country (Belgium) (and in other countries or states too), inheritors have to pay an inheritance tax. This doesn't seem to be a problem, ... except when some demand you pay tax, not on what you have actually received, but on the amounts you are somehow expected to receive (but have not actually inherited, for various reasons, for example because of a relative who doesn't want to cooperate). Because of the fairly large sums of money involved, this can become a serious problem.
Quote:
She can't even have her own phone.
This is something that I don't find normal, and which should perhaps be met with resistance.

Last edited by Michel H; 6th July 2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 6th July 2021, 12:23 PM   #68
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

No opinion of your own? Just what you are instructed to think? By the media that tells you what to think?

What fun.

Old 6th July 2021, 12:24 PM   #69
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

My legal issues are, in a sense, serious, because, in my country (Belgium) (and in other countries or states too), inheritors have to pay an iheritance tax. This doesn't seem to be a problem, ... except when some demand you pay tax, not on what you have actually received, but on the amounts you are somehow expected to receive (but have not actually inherited, for various reasons, for example because of a relative who doesn't want to cooperate). Because of the fairly large sums of money involved, this can become a serious problem.

This is something that I don't find normal, and which should perhaps be met with resistance.
She has tried to resist. She has had people bring her burner phones. They have been forcibly taken away from her. Read the link.

And you might be less inclined to "resist" if somebody could arbitrarily take your entire inheritance away from you.
Old 6th July 2021, 12:38 PM   #70
Warp12
Graduate Poster

You really don't understand. She is closely supervised. She can't even have her own phone.
Quote:
Britney Spears is not impressed by what the kiddies have these days. The 39-year-old pop singer today revealed she’s gotten herself a new phone, although it was quite a while into her Tuesday Instagram share for the reveal to come. Earlier today, the “Toxic” singer updated for her 30.1 million followers with an old-fashioned, black-and-white photo recalling old times, ones long before the Grammy winner was even born. Britney was talking about the two “rascals” in the photo she shared. See her stream of consciousness below.
https://theblast.com/6492517/britney...ith-new-phone/
Old 6th July 2021, 12:56 PM   #71
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That's a new development., As recently as 2019, she was not allowed to have a smartphone. The original link describes the lengths she had to go to to use phones.
https://www.wonderwall.com/news/why-...019661.article

Also from the New Yorker link: Her posts have to be pre-approved.
Quote:
Spears, according to her management, typically writes the posts and submits them to CrowdSurf, a company employed to handle her social media, which then uploads them. In rare cases, posts that raise legal questions have been deemed too sensitive to upload. “She’s not supposed to discuss the conservatorship,” the team member said.

Last edited by Bob001; 6th July 2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 6th July 2021, 12:58 PM   #72
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a transcript of Spears' actual statement in court.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/enter...ipt/index.html
Old 6th July 2021, 01:20 PM   #73
Warp12
Graduate Poster

That's a new development., As recently as 2019, she was not allowed to have a smartphone. The original link describes the lengths she had to go to to use phones.
https://www.wonderwall.com/news/why-...019661.article
There is probably no finer source for facts than TMZ, or a mentally-ill person.

I guess we'll see what happens if she agrees to that mental evaluation, or if the petition is filed.
Old 6th July 2021, 01:37 PM   #74
Belz...
Fiend God

There is probably no finer source for facts than TMZ, or a mentally-ill person.
Sounds a bit circular, no?

Old 6th July 2021, 01:45 PM   #75
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Goddamn our society loves making messed up celebrities for itself to gawk at and then blaming the celebrities for their own messedupedness.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 02:12 PM   #76
deadrose
Illuminator

I'm of two minds on this.

Why does she insist that she is freed without being tested? I can see being suspicious of anyone hired by the conservatorship, but surely an independent psychiatrist could be brought in.

Also, I suspect that some people here have never run into a serious case of bipolar disorder. Full-blown manic episodes go way past fun and straight into psychosis. I know this because my first husband is bipolar. He'd only had one manic episode when we married, and it had just been written off as teenage wildness. At first he was so slow-cycling that it took a very long time for him to be properly diagnosed, and it wasn't until he was in the hospital with 2 broken legs that he was finally diagnosed and began treatment. The reason he had 2 broken legs is that he'd jumped off a second-story roof. To escape the police. Who were there because he was burglarizing a pawnshop. To get a handgun so he could hijack a car. Because he wanted to go visit someone on the other side of the country.

Did I mention he'd never learned to drive? That is the logic of mania.

On the flipside of the coin, people will be plunged into abject despair so deep that they feel unworthy to even be seen by other people, to breathe air, or to take up space. The suicide rate is very high for uncontrolled bipolar syndrome.

My ex has been stable for long stretches, but too often, in his and other cases, the drugs will just stop working suddenly and only if you find an entirely new drug that works well before the mania sets in will you avoid the collapse of your entire world.

This is why I have trouble with both sides of this story, and think it is best sorted out by a panel of people who have no connection to either side.

And for those who are interested, said ex is currently in supportive housing, no longer self-medicating, and trying to pick up the scraps of his life once again, after several years spent being one of the ranting street crazies of the Bay Area.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 02:34 PM   #77
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
And for those who are interested, said ex is currently in supportive housing, no longer self-medicating, and trying to pick up the scraps of his life once again, after several years spent being one of the ranting street crazies of the Bay Area.

I note that what you describe is vastly worse than anything Spears ever did, yet your ex apparently was never placed in a conservatorship. But he probably wasn't making multi-millions.

Once again, the point is not that Spears didn't need help; it's that mental illness can be and usually is treated with far less extreme measures than were imposed on her.
Old 6th July 2021, 02:47 PM   #78
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Regardless of one's views on convervatorships in general, or on the kinds of conditions might be applicable for such, or on whether Britney herself was of that condition, this much at least is surely entirely beyond any argument at all.

It is preposterous that her father has, apparently, benefited, and continues to benefit, from this situation. Not only should this situation be put to the strongest legal scrutiny, and put to right, but if there turns out to have been a misapplication on the conditions for convervatorship in this case, then the father should actually be prosecuted and sent behind bars. (Although I don't know what charges can be raised against him. Whatever applies, broadly, to fraud, maybe?)

But that's a whole different situation.

That was your friend's father's money. He left it as he thought best. Was his judgement correct? Maybe, maybe not. Whether right or wrong, whether in fact in your friend's best interests or not, that money was his father's, to do with as he thought best at that time.

(Not condoning the lawyer's dishonesty and opportunism, obviously, but merely pointing out that this case is very different from the ...absolute abomination, wholly unfair and entirely divorced from common sense, that Britney's situation seems to be.)
It is quite wrong to suggest that administrators of a case can just help themselves to whatever fees they like. It is usually set out in a contract the maximum that can be taken as fees. Unfortunately, such positions do tend to be well-remunerated but it will be all set out.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 03:08 PM   #79
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It is quite wrong to suggest that administrators of a case can just help themselves to whatever fees they like.
They can if they think they can get away with it. And lax supervision means they often do.

Again:
Quote:
In the United States, a million and a half adults are under the care of guardians, either family members or professionals, who control some two hundred and seventy-three billion dollars in assets, according to an auditor for the guardianship fraud program in Palm Beach County. Little is known about the outcome of these arrangements, because states do not keep complete figures on guardianship cases—statutes vary widely—and, in most jurisdictions, the court records are sealed.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...e-their-rights

Last edited by Bob001; 6th July 2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 6th July 2021, 04:05 PM   #80
deadrose
Illuminator

Did I say my ex wasn't in conservatorship? His brother is in charge of his money and other things. This is how he managed to get out of jail and into supportive housing instead of his usual cycle of release and arrest (for fighting, vagrancy, etc).

Also we have no idea what Spears may have done outside of the public eye.

Last edited by deadrose; 6th July 2021 at 04:06 PM.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events