IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags britney spears , celebrity incidents , celebrity issues

Old 16th July 2021, 01:15 PM   #321
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Like, maybe their own children?
How would having access to her own money endanger her children? That's a different matter for custody courts.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:24 PM   #322
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I have no problem with her generalizing.

The problem is, any rational person would likely be demanding an evaluation, if they understood that was probably key in their freedom. They might insist upon a certain group of "evaluators", or demand that a certain group be excluded.

But to say, to paraphrase, "I want out immediately, but not if I have to get another "stupid" evaluation"? That just sounds pretty ridiculous.
I can allow the possibility that her rationality is compromised. In fact it would be surprising if it weren't. That is not the same is delusional.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:26 PM   #323
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"LOL we destroyed the mental state of a little girl and now we're going to make a big showy production out of not trusting her to run her own life as an adult."

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:28 PM   #324
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't know how this doesn't raise a red flag for most of you. It reeks of a disconnect from reality.
The above statement reeks of a disconnect from reality.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:29 PM   #325
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Exactly this.

Conservatorships are supposed to be only for the most extreme situations, and yet 'hasn't behaved in our definition of optimally for a woman' consistently gets cited as evidence of mental impairment for her.
I thought earlier about posting that I might detect a hint of sexism in those kinds of decisions, but not knowing the proportion of men and women in conservatorships I elected against it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:34 PM   #326
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She has been her family's primary source of income since she was a young teenager, and she has been raised and trained to that end. I continue to believe that somebody should have called CPS for her when she was still a minor.
Indeed.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:46 PM   #327
Checkmite

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Jamie is a dependent.
That is certainly my biggest problem with the situation, and appears from my perspective to be the problem that most proponents and advocates for Spears' liberty have with the situation. Jamie Spears lives in luxury as his daughter's conservator and has no known fallbacks if that situation were to end apart from Britney's own goodwill towards him - which it is now abundantly clear has been effectively destroyed by his "management". As a result he has a personal stake in her conservatorship continuing for as long as possible - a conflict of interest that ought to render him ineligible to be her conservator.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:47 PM   #328
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Basically whatever value the Conservatorship might have is overshadowed by the fact that one party has a vested interest in keeping the other person in it beyond the other person's best interests.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:56 PM   #329
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
According to Forbes Britney Spears has a net worth of about 60 million.

James Spears could live like a king for the rest of his life already. What's the plan to work Britney to death just for the hell of it?

(And yes I know the answer is greed for the sake of greed.)

There could be issues of hate, cruelty, and sadism, towards Britney. A malicious desire to control someone.

I get the sense therein lies schadenfreud: Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Yes, greed could be the only reason. But I hypothesize that greed and schadenfreude are behind James Parnell "Jamie" Spears' conservatorship control over his daughter Britney Spears.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 02:17 PM   #330
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
There could be issues of hate, cruelty, and sadism, towards Britney. A malicious desire to control someone.

I get the sense therein lies schadenfreud: Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
Also, using the same logic, Sasquatch.
Old 16th July 2021, 02:27 PM   #331
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Basically whatever value the Conservatorship might have is overshadowed by the fact that one party has a vested interest in keeping the other person in it beyond the other person's best interests.
That is what my Attorney sister does not get about this case. Standard Procedure in setting up a conservatorship is that the person adminstering it has nothing to gain from it and any payment would be a basic fee for services. She tbinks the lawyer involved in setting up the SPears concervatoiship is the kind of slezebag attorney that gives lawyers a bad name.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 02:52 PM   #332
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jollyroger85 View Post
You just don't seem capable of empathy.
Empathy is highly overrated.
Old 16th July 2021, 03:03 PM   #333
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post

Yes, greed could be the only reason. But I hypothesize that greed and schadenfreude are behind James Parnell "Jamie" Spears' conservatorship control over his daughter Britney Spears.

Also, using the same logic, Sasquatch.

No. Greed is the intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food. And greed could be the only reason why Jamie Spears wants to be a conservator in the conservatorship.

Or, there could be an altruistic position that Jamie wants the conservatorship because he's sincerely looking out for Britney's best interests (and no greed).

But, given the family dynamics, imposed limitations, and controlling circumstances, and Britney's address to Judge Brenda Penny on June 23, 2021, I believe there's more to Britney's abusive conservatorship than if it's just greed.

I get the sense it's more than greed that lurks in Jamie Spears' thoughts, feelings, and actions. And that, I hypothesize, is schadenfreude.

While greed could be the only factor that plays into abusive, exploitive, and fraudulent conservatorships, I hypothesize that schadenfreude plays a significant role in the hate, cruelty, and sadism that abusive conservators or guardians unleash upon their conservatee or ward.

I'm trying to understand and explain how people can be so full of hate, so cruel, and so sadistic in their control and manipulation over a fellow human being, even if the person is family. Look at the harm, look at the trauma, look at the unjust deaths.

A conservator or guardian can control every aspect of a conservative's or ward's life: property, finances, medical decisions, housing, social relationships; they can isolate you from your family, put you in a nursing home and medicate you until you die. That's how most people get out of a conservatorship or guardianship– they die.

Abusive conservatorships, guardianships and power of attorney needs to be exposed. Broken systems need to be corrected. Abusers need to be held accountable. Abuse needs to stop.

Free Britney.

And keep in mind the big picture: all abusive, exploitive, and fraudulent conservatorship / guardianship / power of attorney needs to stop.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.

Last edited by Ernie M; 16th July 2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added a paragraph, added bold letters.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 04:50 PM   #334
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Old 16th July 2021, 04:56 PM   #335
Checkmite

That could be the case, but history has shown that greed alone is enough of a motivation to justify all manner of control and abuse.

I haven't personally seen evidence that Jaime positively wants his daughter to suffer. I am content to believe it is only self-interest that drives him. Like any Hollywood parent, he doesn't want to see the end of the gravy train; and he has lucked out in the sense that a single bad episode - not vastly worse than many other child performers have gone through at the low-points of their lives - provided him with this rare opportunity to convince a court to legally suspend his money-child's adulthood indefinitely and give him personal control over every dollar she earns, and frame even mere dissatisfaction with her personal situation or any expressed desire to stop performing and settle down as "evidence" that she is "irrational" or even "mentally ill" and thus proof that the conservatorship should continue.
Old 16th July 2021, 06:19 PM   #336
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I have no problem with her generalizing.

The problem is, any rational person would likely be demanding an evaluation, if they understood that was probably key in their freedom. They might insist upon a certain group of "evaluators", or demand that a certain group be excluded.

But to say, to paraphrase, "I want out immediately, but not if I have to get another "stupid" evaluation"? That just sounds pretty ridiculous.
What if that rational person thought that an evaluation was just an excuse to keep her in the conservatorship for longer, as had been the case for her entire adult life? In that case I think it would be rational to say, "Look, I don't need an evaluation, whatever such an evaluation may show, I shouldn't be in this conservatorship."

That reaction seems entirely reasonable to me.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 08:02 PM   #337
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A broader view of conservatorships.
Quote:
Shira Wakschlag, senior director of legal advocacy and general counsel at The Arc — an organization that helps people with intellectual and developmental disabilities — told Salon that one of the problems in the Spears case, and for disabled people more generally (it is unclear whether Spears herself is disabled due to mental health issues), is that they simply are not taken seriously. This is evident in the fact that Spears is merely asserting basic constitutional rights, like being able to choose her own counsel or make choices about her own body, and has to go to such lengths to convince people to receive them.
https://www.salon.com/2021/07/16/bri...ental-illness/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 10:15 PM   #338
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Sometimes. Irrelevant, though, because this goes outside empathy. This is ultimately about legal overreach, and money talking in ways it shouldn't.
Old 17th July 2021, 07:08 AM   #339
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Not if you want to understand a human.
Old 17th July 2021, 07:15 AM   #340
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Or just want to be one.

Old 17th July 2021, 08:31 AM   #341
Paul2
Philosopher

I feel you.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 08:59 AM   #342
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
So that's it? You agree [the conservatorship is?] bad, but you've been going back and forth because too many people don't agree with you about how bad to think of it as?

That doesn't seem like something to have an extended argument over. You've pointed out that maybe something worse will happen to her. Is it important for you that people say they agree?
I don't know what to think of it because there are so many known unknowns. Until the recent mainstream attention, the information vacuum has been filled by Free Britney activists treading in rumor and conpsiracy. Do you think it's all that strange to have an extended argument about how we know what we know on a forum that supposedly enshrines critical thinking? A place where self-described skeptics seem to rather uncritically accept a given narrative?

I'm reminded of this little puzzle: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...m-solving.html

Four people were killed in an embassy attack. What does that mean? What do I know about embassy security? One question I'm going to ask is if this type of thing is a surprisingly common **** up. If so, then maybe it's not exactly scandalous. Maybe a tragic event is being politicized. Aha, a six figure salary demonstrates "Daddy" really does just want da money. Except how much is somebody normally paid? This conservatorship is sooooo bad; it's immiserating Britney. What was life like before? What can we expect after?

Somebody compares Spears' situation to slavery, and a normally level-headed fellow traveler resorts to crackpot libertarian rhetoric to say that it could be considered a form of slavery. Really? Because slavery in my American-mind recalls descriptions of women raped at will, men violently murdered for challenging to their oppression.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 09:44 AM   #343
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
One question I'm going to ask is if this type of thing is a surprisingly common **** up. If so, then maybe it's not exactly scandalous.
I'm not sure that being common removes scandal.
Aha, a six figure salary demonstrates "Daddy" really does just want da money. Except how much is somebody normally paid?
That's an excellent question.
This conservatorship is sooooo bad; it's immiserating Britney. What was life like before? What can we expect after?
The basic issue isn't whether it's immigrating Britney, and what life was like before and after are the wrong criteria. The fundamental question is whether Britney's conduct of her personal and financial affairs should continue to be handed over to someone else.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 10:05 AM   #344
Chanakya

I don't know what to think of it because there are so many known unknowns. Until the recent mainstream attention, the information vacuum has been filled by Free Britney activists treading in rumor and conpsiracy. Do you think it's all that strange to have an extended argument about how we know what we know on a forum that supposedly enshrines critical thinking? A place where self-described skeptics seem to rather uncritically accept a given narrative?

I'm reminded of this little puzzle: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...m-solving.html

Four people were killed in an embassy attack. What does that mean? What do I know about embassy security? One question I'm going to ask is if this type of thing is a surprisingly common **** up. If so, then maybe it's not exactly scandalous. Maybe a tragic event is being politicized. Aha, a six figure salary demonstrates "Daddy" really does just want da money. Except how much is somebody normally paid? This conservatorship is sooooo bad; it's immiserating Britney. What was life like before? What can we expect after?

Somebody compares Spears' situation to slavery, and a normally level-headed fellow traveler resorts to crackpot libertarian rhetoric to say that it could be considered a form of slavery. Really? Because slavery in my American-mind recalls descriptions of women raped at will, men violently murdered for challenging to their oppression.

Sure, good to be skeptical on a skeptical site. Kind of the whole point to being here, absolutely.

Here's a skeptical question to chew over. A very obvious question. It's surprising that this particular question is one you haven't once asked or addressed, even as you've repeatedly asked the other, related question that you ask here. It's doubly surprising because the question I'm referring to has been asked quite a few times in this thread. I myself have raised this point twice, one of those times quoting you. But of course, it's getting to be a long thread, and you may not have noticed it, it's possible, certainly. Here goes, one more time:

The father's drawing a ~200K salary, plus some percentage of revenues to the estate. I don't know how much that latter is, but that does take the direct remuneration to, I don't know, ~300K? ~250K? Certainly 200K+.

You've asked, repeatedly, as you do here, "how much is somebody normally paid" for this kind of job? Very good question. The other very good question is this: What kind of qualifications does someone who earns this kind of remuneration (as well as the perks that go with it) tend to have? Among people performing this role, what is the average remuneration, and how does Britney's father's remuneration compare with that average? Sure, the estate he's managing is larger, and that would speak to his remuneration; but the bigger estate will probably require, and the larger remuneration will probably attract, really well qualified managers in this line of work, no? Do Briteney's father's qualifications for this job appear to be top-notch-professional grade?

As well as asking what kind of salary would someone normally draw for managing an estate of this size, do you think this question is valid too? And would you like to hazard an answer to the question?

-------

eta:

Here's some relevant facts and figures that a quick google search about the father's "career" throws up.

Link : https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-success.html/

Excerpts (highlights and bold font mine) :

"... Jamie makes $16,000 monthly, along with a $2,000 stipend for office space rent as a conservator. In addition to his monthly salary, Jamie receives direct profits from her performances. In 2014, he received 1.5 percent of Britney’s Las Vegas residency revenue, equal to a sum of $2.1 million. The Femme Fatale tour made Jamie roughly $500,000. ..."

"... James Parnell Spears’ net worth in 2021 is approximately $5 million. The money exclusively came from his role as conservator over Britney Spears. ..."

"... James Parnell Spears was a welder-by-trade ... He spent months working at oil refineries and construction sites. ..."

"... built a health spa .... and it was successful ... the times when James neglected his business ... he overspent and left her “to face the bill collectors.

"... James Parnell Spears hardly had any net worth at all in the years before Britney’s fame. ... The Spears’ family struggled financially before Britney rose to fame ..."

Last edited by Chanakya; 17th July 2021 at 10:53 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 10:56 AM   #345
Checkmite

"A rational person would demand more from the system that has already failed her for decades" is an odd definition of "rational."

She has every right to assume anymore evaluations would be the same circus as the ones that been keeping her in Conservatorship all these years.
Sure, but demanding and expecting are two different things. I think expecting something different may not be particularly rational, but the demand is not. Otherwise, any call for change to just about anything that's been around for a while becomes "irrational".
Old 17th July 2021, 11:29 AM   #346
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
"... James Parnell Spears hardly had any net worth at all in the years before Britney’s fame. ... The Spears’ family struggled financially before Britney rose to fame ..."
I note again that Spears became her family's primary -- if not sole -- source of income as a young teenager and was deprived of ordinary life experiences, like a high school education. The experience would warp anybody.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 11:34 AM   #347
Belz...
Fiend God

I note again that Spears became her family's primary -- if not sole -- source of income as a young teenager and was deprived of ordinary life experiences, like a high school education. The experience would warp anybody.
Yeah look at Michael Jackson and Mozart. And Commodus, for that matter.

Old 17th July 2021, 12:00 PM   #348
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya
You've asked, repeatedly, as you do here, "how much is somebody normally paid" for this kind of job? Very good question. The other very good question is this: What kind of qualifications does someone who earns this kind of remuneration (as well as the perks that go with it) tend to have? Among people performing this role, what is the average remuneration, and how does Britney's father's remuneration compare with that average? Sure, the estate he's managing is larger, and that would speak to his remuneration; but the bigger estate will probably require, and the larger remuneration will probably attract, really well qualified managers in this line of work, no? Do Briteney's father's qualifications for this job appear to be top-notch-professional grade?
Note that his salary is in addition to whatever Bessemer Trust was getting paid. They are the professionals that were co-conservators until they recently resigned.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 12:35 PM   #349
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I thought earlier about posting that I might detect a hint of sexism in those kinds of decisions, but not knowing the proportion of men and women in conservatorships I elected against it.
I don't know about conservatorships in general, although I would expect there to be in our culture, but in the specific case there is no escaping at least the patronizing sexist tone of arguments from many defending it. I would argue there are sexist assumptions as well. (Insert the 'just because you've made a sexist assumption doesn't mean you're inherently or purposefully a sexist' disclaimer for the fragile here.)

The basic metrics, the criteria, as 'better for her' not only all substitute 'old white guy values' for the 'reasonable person' standard, the 'better outcome' itself is given much more weight than her personal value judgement of 'better' and of 'agency'. Why the ability to control your own choices just thrown away for 'this guy makes better choices'? Charlie Sheen isn't under a conseravatorship is he?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 03:58 PM   #350
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Having looked at Britney's Instagram account for the first time because of my friend's outfit, I had another look and she's posted something quite unusual for her. Instead of her dancing or just not wearing many clothes, she's actually written a comment about the current situation, incoherent as it may be:

Quote:
There’s nothing worse than when the people closest to you who never showed up for you post things in regard to your situation whatever it may be and speak righteously for support … there’s nothing worse than that !!!! How dare the people you love the most say anything at all … did they even put a hand out to even lift me up at the TIME !!!??? How dare you make it public that NOW you CARE … did you put your hand out when I was drowning ???? Again … NO … so if you’re reading this and you know who you are … and you actually have the nerve to say anything about my situation just to save face for yourself publicly !!! If you’re gonna post something …. Please stop with the righteous approach when you’re so far from righteous it’s not even funny …. 🖕🏼🖕🏼🖕🏼 and have a good day !!!!! PS if you’re reading this today and you can relate …. I’m sorry because I know what it’s like … and I send you my love 💋💋💋 !!!!"
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 04:13 PM   #351
Checkmite

California has numerous state laws protecting child actors of film and television productions - not just in terms of safeguarding (somewhat) their earnings from their parents, but also requiring uninterrupted education while they're working. Studios actually have teachers on staff to accommodate this. And although children in the wider entertainment industry are expressly exempted from federal child labor laws, those protections are nevertheless enforced de facto by the actors' labor union. Where there's a will there's a way of course, the system is not watertight and parental abuses can and do still happen - but at least the system is there and stops the worst of it.

That doesn't seem to be the case for child singers, like Spears. There is no union, and no system of protections. The family becomes a company, the parents "managers", and the child a product to be marketed and sold.

And it's not something that happens only when superstardom and enormous amounts of money are involved. QED: YouTube parents.
Old 17th July 2021, 05:28 PM   #352
jollyroger85
Banned

I fail to see how you have any productive role in this thread.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 05:29 PM   #353
jollyroger85
Banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
and how they have been made to suffer needlessly for thirteen years.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 05:42 PM   #354
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

It's a very revealing comment. Finally dropped the stink bomb and ran away laughing, I guess.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2021, 01:01 AM   #355
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
; but the bigger estate will probably require, and the larger remuneration will probably attract, really well qualified managers in this line of work, no? Do Briteney's father's qualifications for this job appear to be top-notch-professional grade?
No, he doesn't seem qualified. He raised Britney Spears, he's a recovering alcoholic and he chooses to live in an RV. I wonder if he's drinking his salary -- or pounding it into his arm. But as noted several pages ago, there's an understandable presumption that a family member oversees these matters. In the case of the elder Spears, he might be in a position to say to Britney what others won't: No. It's not an easy thing to say "No."

As for the percentage of the profits, it was approved by the court. It's certainly possible someone else could have negotiated a deal where Britney made more money (AND the negotiator received a GREATER percentage of the profits). I presume a percentage is usually taken in these cases in order to align interests. Of course, whatever your agent gets you, there's someone who is not your agent insisting he would have secured a much, much better deal. In any event, the people charging malfeasance are burdened with proof.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2021, 08:05 AM   #356
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

As for the percentage of the profits, it was approved by the court. It's certainly possible someone else could have negotiated a deal where Britney made more money (AND the negotiator received a GREATER percentage of the profits). I presume a percentage is usually taken in these cases in order to align interests. Of course, whatever your agent gets you, there's someone who is not your agent insisting he would have secured a much, much better deal. In any event, the people charging malfeasance are burdened with proof.
The issue isn't how much Daddy is being paid. Spears would be paying anyone who works for her. The issue is that he does not work for her; she works for him. He has a direct financial incentive to maintain the conservatorship, to prevent her from regaining independence, and to portray her in the most unfavorable light. That's the problem.
Old 18th July 2021, 08:27 AM   #357
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jollyroger85
You just don't seem capable of empathy. That mechanism was used against her, it's only natural she wouldn't trust it. Her appearances in court in recent days make enough of a case for her being able to handle her own affairs. This travesty has gone on long enough.
Humorous.

I have a degree of empathy; but "empathy" is not something I would use to combat "facts", in this case. The fact of the matter is, she is clearly not well. But, many seem to be ignoring the idea of "facts", and relying on "empathy", instead. What do you want me to say, "I feel bad that she feels bad"? Well, that is where evaluation and treatment come into play.

How much care does someone really have for the mentally-ill, if they don't support their proper evaluation? Without proper evaluation, how can they live a healthy life and get proper treatment? Should we believe whatever someone says, just because it tugs at our heartstrings?

Of course you think my "role is not productive". It does not agree with your ideas on this case. It is hard to imagine a more one-sided argument than that which you continue to put forth. There are many such emotionally-driven arguments in this thread, however. So, you have plenty of company.

Let's see what comes of out the court case(s). Maybe she won't have to get another "stupid" evaluation, as she calls it. Maybe it will turn out that everyone conspired against her? Either way, "facts" will be used to determine that...not "empathy".

Last edited by Warp12; 18th July 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2021, 09:03 AM   #358
xjx388

Humorous.

I have a degree of empathy; but "empathy" is not something I would use to combat "facts", in this case. The fact of the matter is, she is clearly not well. But, many seem to be ignoring the idea of "facts", and relying on "empathy", instead. What do you want me to say, "I feel bad that she feels bad"? Well, that is where evaluation and treatment come into play.

How much care does someone really have for the mentally-ill, if they don't support their proper evaluation? Without proper evaluation, how can they live a healthy life and get proper treatment? Should we believe whatever someone says, just because it tugs at our heartstrings?

Of course you think my "role is not productive". It does not agree with your ideas on this case. It is hard to imagine a more one-sided argument than that which you continue to put forth. There are many such emotionally-driven arguments in this thread, however. So, you have plenty of company.

Let's see what comes of out the court case(s). Maybe she won't have to get another "stupid" evaluation, as she calls it. Maybe it will turn out that everyone conspired against her? Either way, "facts" will be used to determine that...not "empathy".

No.

The issue is whether or not she should be in a conservatorship. “Mental illness” does not equal “needs a conservatorship.” Basic human empathy would suggest that no one should live under the confines of a conservatorship unless there is absolutely no other choice.

Empathy is far from overrated. It’s underutilized and discarded in many cases, especially those involving the rich and famous.
Old 18th July 2021, 09:08 AM   #359
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
No.

The issue is whether or not she should be in a conservatorship. “Mental illness” does not equal “needs a conservatorship.” Basic human empathy would suggest that no one should live under the confines of a conservatorship unless there is absolutely no other choice.

Empathy is far from overrated. It’s underutilized and discarded in many cases, especially those involving the rich and famous.
I disagree with you. Her mental state IS the issue.

Let's see what the courts say. Then everyone can sit back and admire the results of their "empathy", one way or the other
Old 18th July 2021, 09:50 AM   #360
Belz...
Fiend God

"Empathy is overrated" sounds like something straight out of a movie villain.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events