IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th July 2021, 08:35 AM   #41
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I don't understand why the argument that "they have to do this if they want the sport because that's what makes money. Go out and shake your ass for the cameras" is in anyway a realistic excuse. If the women are good at the sport let them wear whatever the **** they want, within reason. A one piece, a thong, shorts, whatever works.

If you're saying "you have to be eye ****** in order to do what you want" then you should be ashamed of yourself. It's a sport, not a ******* titty bar.

My wife and daughter wear spandex shorts and then loose shorts over the top of them. UFC fighters do the same. Kickboxers, etc. What logic purpose other than pleasing perverts do the bottoms serve?
I think it's a nod to the beach attire tradition, rather than some Dr Evil sex sells gimmick.

Olympics set the rules, including uniforms, when they take up a sport. They also have a thing about style, which can be outdated. I mean, if you are playing a beach sport, with sand pumped into the court, it messes with the vibe to have players in armor and boots, to get a bit hyperbolic. They make attire rules primarily based on what the common attire is for the actual sport, which in the case of beach sports is swimsuits.

But yeah, it's not needed. I'd still guess that not a single paying spectator is there to catch a glimpse at some cheeks, tho. This whole sex sells thing is vastly overrated among athletic fans. They are there for the game.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 08:37 AM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Boils down to the people that administer the sport think that sex sells, and only a minority of the athletes have a problem with that. If the athletes cannot band together to change it then no one will.
I think for a lot of athletes it's a bit of a Hobson's choice.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 08:39 AM   #43
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Boils down to the people that administer the sport think that sex sells, and only a minority of the athletes have a problem with that. If the athletes cannot band together to change it then no one will.
There's probably benefit to making the unspoken expectation explicit.

"sex sells" may very well be the reasoning for this rule, but having it stated so plainly might rub the general public the wrong way. Forcing the issue shines a light on an unsavory policy that might otherwise remained subtext.

This seems like a dumb rule anyway. I imagine a lot of these athletes would still choose to wear bikinis even if other uniforms were an option. Untold numbers of women with no such requirement voluntarily wear bikinis all over the world.

Writing a "women athletes must be eye-candy" rule so plainly seems like a real harsh-vibe for the more relaxed world of beach sports to me.
Old 20th July 2021, 08:41 AM   #44
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think for a lot of athletes it's a bit of a Hobson's choice.
If they are in the sport mostly for the money, then yes. I they are there for the sport then no.
Old 20th July 2021, 08:41 AM   #45
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

As much as I enjoy bikinis, the choice of how much skin to show should be up to the owner of the skin. It's a bad rule.
Old 20th July 2021, 08:43 AM   #46
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
"sex sells" may very well be the reasoning for this rule, but having it stated so plainly might rub the general public the wrong way.
I'd have thought that a fair proportion of the public would be rubbing ^C^C^C^C damn didn't mean to write that.
Old 20th July 2021, 08:48 AM   #47
Steve
Philosopher

Which has to start somewhere. Now a team of women sick of being eye ****** for no other reason than to make other people money have taken a stand. Perhaps more will follow.

Also, I'm kind of confused by this. A few here have implied that if these women expect to do what they want to do in life, and make money at it, then they have to sell their ass and looks to do it. How is that not a problem? Do these women have other jobs? Are they doing this full time? I don't have too much more to add as there isn't a whole lot of middle ground to be reached. You're either fine with it because sex sells and these women should accept that or you're not. I'm not.
I agree completely. Athletes in any pro sport have way more power than the administrators, if they choose to band together and exercise it. Maybe this is the first step in getting a ridiculous rule changed.

To be clear, I have no interest at all in beach handball. I had never heard of it before today and I still have no interest in watching it regardless of what the participants wear. This seems to me to be a social issue rather than a sport issue.
Old 20th July 2021, 09:31 AM   #48
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Wait till the female gymnasts get a load of this. They might want shorts and stuff like the guys too.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 09:37 AM   #49
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Wait till the female gymnasts get a load of this. They might want shorts and stuff like the guys too.
Shouldn't be a problem if they do.
Old 20th July 2021, 09:37 AM   #50
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

They'd probably settle for not having the entire gymnastics world circle the wagons to protect a child rapist, at least for a start.
Old 20th July 2021, 09:40 AM   #51
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Shouldn't be a problem if they do.
Of course it will be a problem. What are all these lecherous pervs that hang out at *checks notes* the Olympics going to drool over?

Old 20th July 2021, 09:41 AM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If they are in the sport mostly for the money, then yes. I they are there for the sport then no.
Somehow I doubt that. If you're in it for the sport, there's only a few places you can go to prove yourself at the highest levels. If the price of admission is annoying but tolerable, you may very well prefer to pay it, rather than truncate your career. Besides, I doubt there's enough money in women's beach volleyball to do much more than cover the cost of competing, even with the fan service.

Last edited by theprestige; 20th July 2021 at 09:42 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 09:41 AM   #53
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I think they should wear pajamas, tbh. This way the three remaining fans can enjoy their athleticism, without distraction.
Old 20th July 2021, 09:42 AM   #54
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

They'd probably settle for not having the entire gymnastics world circle the wagons to protect a child rapist, at least for a start.
Don't remind me. Nassar should have been castrated.

Old 20th July 2021, 09:48 AM   #55
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I know several men that would say this exact thing. If what you're saying is true then strip clubs, and entrance fees for dance clubs wouldn't be a thing.

In my mid-20's I probably would have been one of these very same people. Age, wisdom and having a daughter have changed my outlooks.
Interesting perspective. With my age, wisdom, and daughters, I've found that guys are generally not as pervy and sex obsessed as they are made out to be. When they watch a sport, they are usually fans of the sport. Except maybe lingerie football or mud/Jello/horse lube wrestling, if that's still a thing.

Quote:
Perhaps it's because you live in a beach town? I would bet a lot of people watching these aren't local to the area, most are paying to get in anyway. What would they rather watch? Half naked women playing handball or the women throwing the discus in normal athletic apparel?
Fair point. I'm probably a little bikini blind by now. Its not a thing anymore.

Old 20th July 2021, 09:49 AM   #56
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I think they should wear pajamas, tbh. This way the three remaining fans can enjoy their athleticism, without distraction.
Ah yes, if they want to wear something that doesn't have their ass cheeks out for everyone to see, then the only reasonable ******* expectation is they want to wear pajamas. It certainly wouldn't be the clothes they wore in the story, which was obviously what was comfortable to them. That would be stupid to think, it's gotta be pajamas. Top notch detective work.

Also, this argument works against the claims here. They're showing off their ass and you're saying STILL no one is watching them. Their "3 fans" and all.

I like it, you managed to use a fallacy and make an own goal at the same time. There's probably a medal for that.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 20th July 2021 at 09:50 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 09:52 AM   #57
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Ah yes, if they want to wear something that doesn't have their ass cheeks out for everyone to see, then the only reasonable ******* expectation is they want to wear pajamas. It certainly wouldn't be the clothes they wore in the story, which was obviously what was comfortable to them. That would be stupid to think, it's gotta be pajamas. Top notch detective work.

Also, this argument works against the claims here. They're showing off their ass and you're saying STILL no one is watching them. Their "3 fans" and all.

I like it, you managed to use a fallacy and managed an own goal at the same time. There's probably a medal for that.
Because, I meant "pajamas" literally.

But, yeah, everyone watches for that athleticism. LOL.
Old 20th July 2021, 09:54 AM   #58
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Because, I meant "pajamas" literally.

But, yeah, everyone watches for that athleticism. LOL.
If you didn't mean pajamas then why say pajamas?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 09:56 AM   #59
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

The timing is notable. The 2020 summer Olympics are starting, and the summer games are almost certainly the highest profile Beach Volleyball event there is. It's probably the only time that the general audience is aware of the niche sport.
Old 20th July 2021, 10:02 AM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The timing is notable. The 2020 summer Olympics are starting, and the summer games are almost certainly the highest profile Beach Volleyball event there is. It's probably the only time that the general audience is aware of the niche sport.
Probably the best time to start drumming up public awareness and interest in collective bargaining with the sport's governing body.
Old 20th July 2021, 10:03 AM   #61
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
If you didn't mean pajamas then why say pajamas?
Because, "figurative language".
Old 20th July 2021, 10:05 AM   #62
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I have way more interest in track and field than I used to, now that athletes are allowed to wear clothes that restrict them less, and which just so happen to be more revealing.

I really like to be able to admire the accomplishments and dedication of the athletes, without having to stop drooling.

As for gymnasts, my guess is that the tight fitting leotards actually provide a slight performance advantage, but I don't know. I just know that whatever is the case, athletes.shoulf be able to wear what they like, whether or not it appeals to our...aesthetic...interests.
Old 20th July 2021, 10:08 AM   #63
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Probably the best time to start drumming up public awareness and interest in collective bargaining with the sport's governing body.
Yes, the public should be collectively bargaining for more thong-like attire. Good thinking.
Old 20th July 2021, 10:09 AM   #64
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I have way more interest in track and field than I used to, now that athletes are allowed to wear clothes that restrict them less, and which just so happen to be more revealing.

I really like to be able to admire the accomplishments and dedication of the athletes, without having to stop drooling.

As for gymnasts, my guess is that the tight fitting leotards actually provide a slight performance advantage, but I don't know. I just know that whatever is the case, athletes.shoulf be able to wear what they like, whether or not it appeals to our...aesthetic...interests.
Honestly, while I may be in awe of their physique and fitness, I wouldn't give most a second glance at the beach if they were wearing g-strings and pasties. Women with the musculature of men are not my thing.

Eta: maybe it will work the other way and we'll see male gymnasts with French-cut Speedos?

Last edited by Thermal; 20th July 2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 20th July 2021, 10:22 AM   #65
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly, while I may be in awe of their physique and fitness, I wouldn't give most a second glance at the beach if they were wearing g-strings and pasties. Women with the musculature of men are not my thing.

Eta: maybe it will work the other way and we'll see male gymnasts with French-cut Speedos?

The women weightlifters are impressive, but I will admit that from a strictly prurient interest, there is not much interest there, and given the special circumstances of this year's women's weightlifting competition, I don't think you could pay me to watch.

But there are several sports where, in my humble opinion, athleticism and sex appeal go together quite nicely. I guess I'm just not into the waif look.
Old 20th July 2021, 10:24 AM   #66
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Very sassy!
Old 20th July 2021, 11:04 AM   #67
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Lmao, this is one dumb ass thread.
Old 20th July 2021, 11:06 AM   #68
Steve
Philosopher

But.....but....but... it's one of the pressing social issues of today!
Old 20th July 2021, 11:07 AM   #69
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Heh. They said ass and butt.

Old 20th July 2021, 11:09 AM   #70
cullennz
Suspended

Not quite sure why when they don't play beach volleyball
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 11:10 AM   #71
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

But.....but....but... it's one of the pressing social issues of today!
The issue presses against the fabric of our contemporary society, in much the same way that the skimpy fabric of female gymnasts' outfits presses against their parts that Thermal totally isn't looking at.
Old 20th July 2021, 11:12 AM   #72
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not quite sure why when they don't play beach volleyball

How embarrassing. I thought "handball" was just some European term for volleyball. A different sport entirely I see.

ETA: Seems this is already a solved problem for beach volleyball, at least at the Olympic level. The 2016 Rio Games allowed for a variety of beach volleyball attire, ranging from two piece bikini to full long-sleeve shirt and pants. More of an issue when dealing with an international sporting event with a variety of cultural views of modesty.

http://rio2016.fivb.com/en/beachvoll...form-guideline

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th July 2021 at 11:17 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 11:15 AM   #73
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
The issue presses against the fabric of our contemporary society, in much the same way that the skimpy fabric of female gymnasts' outfits presses against their parts that Thermal totally isn't looking at.
Old 20th July 2021, 11:41 AM   #74
cullennz
Suspended

When you think about it, it is kind of an ironic circle of life thing given the origial sporty types at the Olympics were all naked dudes with the odd one wearing a piece of string to stop their thing flyig around all over the place.

Some probably went "No! We want to wear these tiny leather pouch/thong things!"

And got fined as it was against the rules.

And all the chicks who watched went good.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 11:47 AM   #75
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Now that rules changes have been made that favor post-pubescent females, women's gymnastics may be more interesting from both an athletic and ornamental perspective. I think men's gymnastics has always been a sex appeal sport, though. I remember a guy named vitaly szerbo in 1996. He took off his shirt in a post competition exhibition event. No pun intended. The crowd went wild with cheers, mostly high pitched. I doubt the ladies in the stadium were admiring his fine sense of balance.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:10 PM   #76
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Now that rules changes have been made that favor post-pubescent females, women's gymnastics may be more interesting from both an athletic and ornamental perspective. I think men's gymnastics has always been a sex appeal sport, though. I remember a guy named vitaly szerbo in 1996. He took off his shirt in a post competition exhibition event. No pun intended. The crowd went wild with cheers, mostly high pitched. I doubt the ladies in the stadium were admiring his fine sense of balance.
I'm not demonizing the enjoyment of eye candy; I'm making fun of this thread.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:12 PM   #77
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
When you think about it, it is kind of an ironic circle of life thing given the origial sporty types at the Olympics were all naked dudes with the odd one wearing a piece of string to stop their thing flyig around all over the place.

Some probably went "No! We want to wear these tiny leather pouch/thong things!"

And got fined as it was against the rules.

And all the chicks who watched went good.
I don't think chicks were allowed to watch back in those days, with the exception of the priestess of Demeter.

I'm sure this was at least partially due to all the nudity.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:39 PM   #78
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, come on, that's unfair. Of course I look. I'm saying that's not the reason I (or anyone) would watch a match. This assumption where guys are solely motivated by looking at young women is a little tired.

When I watch swimming, it's not to catch a glimpse of some cheeks. Its because one of my kids is a swimmer and I've developed an appreciation for the technical aspects. I'd wager that anyone watching beach handball is a fan of the game, not a DL voyer

Last edited by Thermal; 20th July 2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: aggressive autocorrect
Old 20th July 2021, 12:58 PM   #79
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

This assumption where guys are solely motivated by looking at young women is a little tired.
And only half true.

When I was at university of Illinois, some friends of mine were sports fans, but not necessarily big name sports fans. They just liked the competition and cheering on "their team". So instead of staying glued to the TV watching big name ncaa football, they bought season tickets to women's volleyball. The tickets were dirt cheap. Now, they could have picked any number of sports to watch, but it's not coincidence that they picked women's volleyball. It wasn't the beach variety, so no bikinis, but they still chose volleyball over hockey.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:58 PM   #80
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Oh, come on, that's unfair. Of course I look. I'm saying that's not the reason I (or anyone) would watch a match. This assumption where guys are solely motivated by looking at young women is a little tired.

When I watch swimming, it's not to catch a glimpse of some cheeks. Its because one of my kids is a swimmer and I've developed an appreciation for the technical aspects. Of water that anyone watching beach handball is a fan of the game, not a DL voyer
I'm just ******* with you and making puns. I'm not really in this conversation.

As far as the topic goes, my initial reaction is to think it's dumb and sexist to fine female athletes who want to dress with a bit more coverage. However, if they signed contracts or something like that, then I don't know what they expected. Maybe it was a deliberate act of rebellion, purely to get people discussing the issue.

I do think it's probably worth discussing. I don't think this particular thread ever had much of a chance, though. It's a very silly read, with the exception of a few posts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events