IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:14 AM   #1
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Frito-Lay strike

Didn't find a thread on this one.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/21/10186...-working-condi

Quote:
Employees say sweltering 90-degree temperatures on the picket line are preferable to the 100-degree-plus heat that awaits them inside the manufacturing warehouse on any given summer day. They're demanding an end to mandatory overtime and 84-hour weeks that they argue leaves little room for a meaningful quality of life. They're also seeking raises that match cost-of-living increases.

The company, which is owned by PepsiCo, disputes their claims, calling them "grossly exaggerated" and says a recent contract offer delivered earlier this month more than met the terms put forward by the workers' union, Local 218 of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union.

Meanwhile, workers say they want more concessions before heading back into the factory. They have also called for a national boycott on Frito-Lay products, as well as those produced by PepsiCo, for the remainder of the strike. If successful, the boycott would mean living in a world without Doritos, Cheetos, Fritos, Tostitos and Sun Chips. Temporarily, at least.
There are a whole slew of horrifying allegations beyond the basics.

https://www.cjonline.com/story/opini...ns/7838411002/

Quote:
• Making us work in dense smoke and fumes during and after a fire because as you stated, "It's just smoke."

• When a co-worker collapsed and died, you had us move the body and put in another co-worker to keep the line going.

• During the COVID-19 lockdown, a co-worker's father passed away in another state. You told her since there wasn't a funeral she didn't qualify for bereavement time. She had to take off two of her own days to grieve.

• We worked during the entire COVID-19 quarantine while office personnel worked from home. We didn't get hazard pay, bonuses, rewards or recognition.

• We worked through the deep freeze struggling keep warm and everything running, getting forced over and into the weekend again, while an upper manager received a recognition award for "his dedication to come in on his weekend to keep our plant running."

• How you fill our warehouse with carts of cardboard and product blocking walkways, exits and work areas. When we point out it's not safe, you shrug your shoulders and say, "It's push week."

• How you bring in inexperienced temporary drivers leading to two injuries, one of them major, and numerous accidents, including a hit to a major structure beam, bending it and damaging the forklift.

• The fact you offer paternity leave to all employees except those at union plants.

• Your negotiator told us that it isn't that Frito-Lay can't afford to give us raises, it's that he is there to protect the stockholder investments.

Last edited by gnome; 22nd July 2021 at 10:18 AM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:29 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

A tale as old as time. Huge companies don't care about their workers because, as they said, it's the stockholders that hold the real weight. Hopefully it works out for them. I've spent a lot of time doing automation work in a pasta factory, and if they're anything alike it's ******* terrible in there. I don't see how anyone could work full time. They aren't lying when they say 100+ degrees inside.

We need to, at some point, find a way to make companies worry more about their employees and less about profits. I get that's why they're there, but eventually they will run out of people to grind into the ground to make money.

Hell, there was just a barrage of articles about how people aren't having as many kids, etc. Do these people really have time or desire to raise a kid? 80+ hour work weeks, get the **** out of here with that ****.

ETA: Oh, before someone beats me to it. Everyone already knows that "if they don't like it, there are plenty of other jobs out there", but that's really not how it works.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 22nd July 2021 at 10:34 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:38 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The footage from inside showing how close the boxes are to the assembly lines especially worries me. That's another Triangle Shirtwaist Factory waiting to happen.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:48 AM   #4
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The footage from inside showing how close the boxes are to the assembly lines especially worries me. That's another Triangle Shirtwaist Factory waiting to happen.
Pfft, what do we need unions for?
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:54 AM   #5
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I see even small and medium businesses run into the ground with foolish staffing practices. Perpetually understaffed, so that everyone works insane hours. The workers start making mistakes and self-medicating (drugs) for the exhaustion and stress. They pay "overtime" under the table to avoid offering time-and-a-half. The quality suffers, management is toxic, people that are willing to show up as promised lose their planned days off to people that ditch without notice. Then they wonder between that and the low wages why they have such bad turnover and have trouble hiring enough people.

There is no way at all that the penny-pinching on labor costs isn't bleeding out even worse from lost sales, returns, and overtime (or the cost of legal risk, for places that find a way around it). I understand being cheap to be greedy. It blows my mind how many places seem to be paying through the nose in order to continue "cheap" labor practices.

A family member right now works for a place that is having huge staffing issues--and every day I hear about how their machines being in disrepair is causing people to work more hours to make up for it. Is that really less expensive than fixing the infrastructure?

Last edited by gnome; 22nd July 2021 at 10:59 AM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:56 AM   #6
Cainkane1
Philosopher

They're on strike? I guess we'll just have to stick with Lays potato chips.
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:39 AM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Frito-Lay's is Lay's potato chips. What was the point you were trying to make here?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:41 AM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I see even small and medium businesses run into the ground with foolish staffing practices. Perpetually understaffed, so that everyone works insane hours. The workers start making mistakes and self-medicating (drugs) for the exhaustion and stress. They pay "overtime" under the table to avoid offering time-and-a-half. The quality suffers, management is toxic, people that are willing to show up as promised lose their planned days off to people that ditch without notice. Then they wonder between that and the low wages why they have such bad turnover and have trouble hiring enough people.
Sans the low wages part, this is a feature not a bug for Amazon. There have been numerous reports that Amazon depends on high turnover to keep wages low. They don't actually want people there for 10 years. That gets expensive.

Old 22nd July 2021, 12:00 PM   #9
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Sans the low wages part, this is a feature not a bug for Amazon. There have been numerous reports that Amazon depends on high turnover to keep wages low. They don't actually want people there for 10 years. That gets expensive.
On the other hand, doesn't overtime, errors, higher insurance premiums, and lawsuit defenses get expensive also?

Old 22nd July 2021, 12:21 PM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

On the other hand, doesn't overtime, errors, higher insurance premiums, and lawsuit defenses get expensive also?
You'd think so

Old 22nd July 2021, 12:28 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My current employer has treated the whole Covid thing as an exercise in morale and retention. So we've been getting a *lot* of encouragement and support - and tools! - from upper management over the past year. To prioritize our mental health, take time off as necessary, see to our families, etc.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:36 PM   #12
dirtywick
Illuminator

Some of the bullet points sound unbelievable (like they dragged a guys body into off to the side and kept working? No way) and many of them fairly mundane manufacturing complaints. That said, 80 hour work weeks need to end though. Few people can keep up that kind of schedule. If they can get a climate controlled warehouse and paternity leave good luck and more power to them.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:38 PM   #13
dirtywick
Illuminator

You'd think so
It absolutely does. Customer contracts typically allow for fines for failure to meet quality or order specifications. And those guys are making food so they also have to answers to the FDA.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:42 PM   #14
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Climate-controlled workspace--there's one that comes up a lot, especially in my current state of Florida. Is there a federal required standard, for example? Because some work environments around here seem egregiously unhealthy.

Old 22nd July 2021, 12:47 PM   #15
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Some of the bullet points sound unbelievable (like they dragged a guys body into off to the side and kept working? No way)
Frito-Lay denies that one specifically, though I wish I had confidence that being unbelievably callous made it something one could count on being inaccurate.

It could also be an exaggeration--that the worker perceived too high a priority on resuming business compared to proper response to a fatal injury. But I'm trying not to make too many assumptions about this detail in particular.

Old 22nd July 2021, 12:47 PM   #16
dirtywick
Illuminator

Climate-controlled workspace--there's one that comes up a lot, especially in my current state of Florida. Is there a federal required standard, for example? Because some work environments around here seem egregiously unhealthy.
Not that I’m aware of. I know there’s OSHA regulations on working temperatures and required breaks that are probably loosely followed or ignored. The only places I’ve ever seen that were climate controlled were due to product requirements, not working conditions. And even then, it can just be the manufacturing process, not the warehouses the finished goods are stored.
Old 22nd July 2021, 01:26 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Frito-Lay denies that one specifically, though I wish I had confidence that being unbelievably callous made it something one could count on being inaccurate.

It could also be an exaggeration--that the worker perceived too high a priority on resuming business compared to proper response to a fatal injury. But I'm trying not to make too many assumptions about this detail in particular.
I keep wanting to make excuses for the employer about how they did the right thing and then asked everyone to get back to work.

But then I keep remembering that every employer I've respected has jumped at the opportunity to give me a "mental health" break over things a lot less disturbing than handling a dead body on the shop floor. I understand wanting to meet manufacturing quotas. I even understand line managers being pressured into meeting quotas if they want to keep their jobs.

But this really needed to be a case of "we're really sorry you had to deal with any of that. Take the rest of the day off with pay. Here's our employee wellness help line, if you would like to talk to someone in confidence about what happened. When you're ready, check in with your shift boss to see about getting some overtime to make up the production shortfall. Again, we're really sorry."

Last edited by theprestige; 22nd July 2021 at 02:04 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 01:45 PM   #18
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Not that I’m aware of. I know there’s OSHA regulations on working temperatures and required breaks that are probably loosely followed or ignored. The only places I’ve ever seen that were climate controlled were due to product requirements, not working conditions. And even then, it can just be the manufacturing process, not the warehouses the finished goods are stored.
I think that makes sense.

What's poking me is that I feel like workers shouldn't have to negotiate for a contract that says the employer won't do what's already illegal to do.

Old 22nd July 2021, 02:02 PM   #19
Bogative
Graduate Poster

The good news for Frito-Lay is that there are millions and millions of illegal immigrants here who are willing to do the jobs Americans won't do. Probably at a much much lower wage and without all those absurd demands of safe working spaces and 40 hour work weeks in tolerable conditions. Thanks Joe Biden, multibillion-dollar PepsiCo appreciates it.
Old 22nd July 2021, 03:19 PM   #20
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

If Frito-Lay replaces striking workers with illegal immigrants, I think that will probably be noticed.

Old 22nd July 2021, 04:11 PM   #21
Bogative
Graduate Poster

If Frito-Lay replaces striking workers with illegal immigrants, I think that will probably be noticed.

Will it be noticed when Frito-Lay replaces the striking workers with workers who were replaced by illegal immigrants?
Old 22nd July 2021, 04:16 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

... or will it? I thought one of the big problems with US immigration policy is that it more or less ignores the employers of illegal immigrants.
Old 22nd July 2021, 04:59 PM   #23
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Pfft, what do we need unions for?

How about laws?
Old 23rd July 2021, 06:00 AM   #24
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
... or will it? I thought one of the big problems with US immigration policy is that it more or less ignores the employers of illegal immigrants.
I think that's a problem that can and should be attended to without telling US workers to be grateful instead of making demands.

Old 23rd July 2021, 06:04 AM   #25
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
How about laws?
Not exactly reliable on its own, since the same people who would otherwise exploit workers often have a stranglehold on legislation as well.

Besides, a solution worked out between workers and management is usually preferable to one imposed by government. It's more adaptable.

Old 23rd July 2021, 06:32 AM   #26
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The good news for Frito-Lay is that there are millions and millions of illegal immigrants here who are willing to do the jobs Americans won't do. Probably at a much much lower wage and without all those absurd demands of safe working spaces and 40 hour work weeks in tolerable conditions. Thanks Joe Biden, multibillion-dollar PepsiCo appreciates it.
A+ job on somehow making an issue about a company treating their employees like **** the fault of the President lol. I mean, this is cartoon level villainy. I bet they'll go and pull the mask off of the CEO of Frito-Lay, like in Scooby-Doo, and it'll be Biden. "I would've gotten all the illegal immigrants jobs at Frito-Lay if it wasn't for you meddling kids."

Rent free.

Last edited by plague311; 23rd July 2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 23rd July 2021, 07:02 AM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dead factory workers totally tweak the Libtards.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 07:27 AM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'd half-expect Frito-Lay to be admonished for being racist. Even though it was probably 50 years ago and I think addressed even then. Anyone remember the Frito Bandito?

Ai-yi-yi-yi
I am the Frito Bandito
I love Fritos corn chips
I love them, I do

That's all I can do from memory...
Off to Google!

Last edited by alfaniner; 23rd July 2021 at 07:30 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 07:51 AM   #29
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Classic.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:17 AM   #30
Donal
Illuminator

Not exactly reliable on its own, since the same people who would otherwise exploit workers often have a stranglehold on legislation as well.

Besides, a solution worked out between workers and management is usually preferable to one imposed by government. It's more adaptable.
Also, legislation that protects employees traditionally was lobbied for by unions.

It really is a free market solution
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:22 AM   #31
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Also, legislation that protects employees traditionally was lobbied for by unions.

Well, the union leadership. When I was a member of the Public Employees Federation, we would attend meetings where we would be told which candidates the union was endorsing and which legislation the union was supporting. We didn't have any input.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:34 AM   #32
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Well, the union leadership. When I was a member of the Public Employees Federation, we would attend meetings where we would be told which candidates the union was endorsing and which legislation the union was supporting. We didn't have any input.
Certainly a question of how to run a union better. Not so much a question of whether to have them.

An example--municipal fire departments seem like they used to be really corrupt, sometimes startlingly so. But having a fire department remained a necessary thing.

Old 23rd July 2021, 11:46 AM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Who appointed your union leadership?
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:49 AM   #34
Belz...
Fiend God

A tale as old as time. Huge companies don't care about their workers because, as they said, it's the stockholders that hold the real weight.
Then they can get the stockholders to run the warehouses while the employees picket.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:56 AM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Then they can get the stockholders to run the warehouses while the employees picket.
I've always wondered why Boeing's labor force doesn't quit and start their own airplane manufacturing business, since they know so much about what it takes to run it and where all the money needs to go.
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:59 AM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

I've always wondered why Boeing's labor force doesn't quit and start their own airplane manufacturing business, since they know so much about what it takes to run it and where all the money needs to go.
I'd guess you don't go to work for a place like Boeing without a non-compete somewhere in the fine print.

Old 23rd July 2021, 12:11 PM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'd guess you don't go to work for a place like Boeing without a non-compete somewhere in the fine print.
Noncompetes usually aren't in the fine print. They're also often unenforceable.

But why go work for Boeing in the first place if (a) you know how to run the business better than they do, and (b) working for them means promising not to go do a better job of it yourself?

And why even bother paying union dues if (a) they can't collectively bargain their way out of a noncompete, and (b) they never think to use those dues to settle a noncompete lawsuit when they open up their own better company?
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:41 PM   #38
plague311
Great minds think...

Noncompetes usually aren't in the fine print. They're also often unenforceable.

But why go work for Boeing in the first place if (a) you know how to run the business better than they do, and (b) working for them means promising not to go do a better job of it yourself?

And why even bother paying union dues if (a) they can't collectively bargain their way out of a noncompete, and (b) they never think to use those dues to settle a noncompete lawsuit when they open up their own better company?
I don't know the answer to those questions, but I've generally found that if it's something I thought about off the top of my head, someone else has thought of it too. Usually there's a reason, I popped that one off as it's the first one I could think of. Your guess is as good as mine, but I doubt they want to make less money working for someone else.

Old 23rd July 2021, 02:38 PM   #39
dirtywick
Illuminator

The guys making the planes on the ground can't run a business any better than the guys running the business that can't actually make planes. One thing they have in common is they're trying to secure as much of the profits from plane sales for themselves as they can.
Old 23rd July 2021, 03:44 PM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The guys making the planes on the ground can't run a business any better than the guys running the business that can't actually make planes. One thing they have in common is they're trying to secure as much of the profits from plane sales for themselves as they can.
A lot of union disputes seem to be about labor telling management how to run the business.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events