IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags temperature , smoke , fire

Old 2nd July 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

The real cause of black smoke?

WTC fires, thick black smoke. Claimed by troofers to indicate low temperature and lack of oxygen.
http://www.infowars.com/images2/worl...0wtc_fires.jpg
(Image linked from infowars.com without permission. @#$% you, Alex Jones. )

Buncefield Oil Terminal Fire, December 11, 2005. Thick black smoke, obviously abunduant oxygen supply.

But the WTC office fires weren't fueled by crude oil you say?

Guess again, whack-jobs.

Not quite a Gravy quality debunking, but it works.

Mod Warning
Do not hotlink copyrighted materials. I have replaced the image with the link.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:jmercer

Last edited by jmercer; 3rd July 2007 at 03:43 AM.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:20 PM   #2
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Burning plastic wire insulation

The black smoke being "oxygen starved" is one of the silliest of the 9/11 claims.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2007, 06:55 PM   #3
steve s
Philosopher

Not to mention all the carpet padding, foam seat cushions, and the carpeting itself, which these days is largely made from recycled plastic. All of it is ultimately derived from oil.

Steve S.
Old 2nd July 2007, 07:02 PM   #4
cloudshipsrule
Graduate Poster

Not to mention it's not even really BLACK. It's more a shade of gray.

I'm afraid these morons have seen steam from stacks in industrial cities and mistaken the white steam for smoke.

Generally, smoke from a normal fire (house on fire, car on fire, bon-fire, office building on fire) is some shade of gray to an almost black. I don't recall ever seeing snow-white smoke from any fire I've started, er, uh, seen.

Ever seen smoke from a car fire at a distance? O2 starved? I think not.
cloudshipsrule is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Ever seen smoke from a car fire at a distance? O2 starved? I think not.
You mean:

like this?

or this?

or this?

or this?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:34 PM   #6
R.Mackey
Philosopher

That New Scientist article linked in the OP is quite interesting.

Has anyone heard more about the "Hawk 10" microwave transmogrifyer? In specific, how much power does it require to convert plastics back into crude? If its requirements are low enough, then this could be a significant technical achievement.

Originally Posted by New Scientist
GRC says its Hawk-10 can extract enough oil and gas from the left-over fluff to run the Hawk-10 itself and a number of other machines used by Gershow.
See, there's hope. Need to see some proof, though...
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Timothy
Muse

The real cause of black smoke? The College of Cardinals couldn't get a majority for the new Pope.
Timothy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:43 PM   #8
hubbub2
Thinker

Uhh...black fire?
hubbub2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:17 PM   #9
njslim
Graduate Poster

Black smoke generally indicates free burning fire. Gray/white smoke indicates
fire has been "knocked down" and is being extinguished .
njslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Apollo20
Banned

From NIST NCSTAR 1-5A, page 81, we read that there was a period when the WTC fires were "effectively damped down by OXYGEN DEPLETION"

However, I note that POLYURETHANE was used around the window casings of the towers and eventually it ignited..... Now that stuff burns with a smoky black flame giving off lots of CO and HCN.

Polyurethane foam was also used as padding for office partitions and furniture in the towers.

Then, of course, there was the PVC in the flooring tiles, electrical insulation, window blinds. PVC also burns with a smoky flame giving off HCl and benzene.
Apollo20 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2007, 01:36 AM   #11
Alareth
Philosopher

Excess unburned hydrocarbons.

Black smoke tends to come from fuel rich fires while white is from fuel starved fires.

At least that's what I vaguely remember them telling me in the firefighting classes in the Navy.

I wonder if any of the truthers even know what the fire triangle is.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories