IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Microsoft Notepad

Old 27th December 2020, 03:10 AM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Exclamation Notepad has been updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaking news today. Notepad has been updated.

You can now ..
Open a new window without having to do anything to the old one.
Setup a page for printing.
Zoom in and out.
Search with Bing
Paste the time and date
Change the font
Goto a line number.
Wrap around search.

Goodness gracious me.

This has all probably been out for a long time and I am just so used to the thing that has not changed in 20 years that I never noticed.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 05:57 AM   #2
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Microsoft will make one more update that makes Notepad too complicated and too slow for use as a quick way to view and edit a text file.
jadebox is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 09:45 AM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Breaking news today. Notepad has been updated.

You can now ..
Open a new window without having to do anything to the old one.
Setup a page for printing.
Zoom in and out.
Search with Bing
Paste the time and date
Change the font
Goto a line number.
Wrap around search.

Goodness gracious me.

This has all probably been out for a long time and I am just so used to the thing that has not changed in 20 years that I never noticed.
Notepad++ has been around for awhile, which replaced notepad for me. If you like notepad take a gander at the other. It might suit your needs better as well.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 11:32 PM   #4
a_unique_person

notepad is quicker to start and notepad++ usually isn't available in SOE environments. I do use it for advanced editing.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 29th December 2020 at 12:51 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 02:33 PM   #5
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

notepad is quicker to start and notepad++ usually isn't available in SOE environments. I do use it for advanced editing.
Note that you can run Notepad++ in portable mode, i.e. without installing it on a computer.
Old 29th December 2020, 02:38 PM   #6
eerok
Quixoticist

Notepad++ +1
Old 30th December 2020, 02:56 AM   #7
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Note that you can run Notepad++ in portable mode, i.e. without installing it on a computer.
Not allowed to do that.
Old 30th December 2020, 04:10 AM   #8
erlando
Graduate Poster

"You can do that with non-standard, 3rd party software"

*Looks at locked-down production environment server*
Old 30th December 2020, 12:24 PM   #9
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Microsoft will make one more update that makes Notepad too complicated and too slow for use as a quick way to view and edit a text file.
And leave it as the default association for ".txt" files, of course.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:14 AM   #10
Dude111
Critical Thinker

I have had notepad2 for years

www.flos-freeware.ch
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 02:58 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Our SOE makes Notepad++ available with approval.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I've been using Notepad--.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:28 PM   #13
eerok
Quixoticist

If we're doing confessions now, I've been using Emacs.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:31 PM   #14
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Anyone remember Godot?
Old 21st January 2021, 07:31 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Anyone remember Godot?
I've been waiting for it for ages.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 21st January 2021 at 07:36 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:24 AM   #16
eerok
Quixoticist

Anyone remember Godot?
The game engine?
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:53 AM   #17
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

The game engine?
From a bit-o-Googling I gather this may be the same thing but I knew it as a text editor on Unix 7 in the early 1970s.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:54 AM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've been waiting for it for ages.
That's why we all called it Go Dot. At least most of the time.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:25 AM   #19
eerok
Quixoticist

From a bit-o-Googling I gather this may be the same thing but I knew it as a text editor on Unix 7 in the early 1970s.
I never heard of that, but I didn't use Unix 7 until the late 70s. I remember a line editor that was just invoked by "e", which I used to type my first C code. You must've had something fancy.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:27 PM   #20
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I never heard of that, but I didn't use Unix 7 until the late 70s. I remember a line editor that was just invoked by "e", which I used to type my first C code. You must've had something fancy.
I thought about the date after I posted. It was 1978 or thereabouts. We actually had it on a PDP 11/45 running the prior version of UNIX that was, ISTR, Version III.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:56 PM   #21
eerok
Quixoticist

I thought about the date after I posted. It was 1978 or thereabouts. We actually had it on a PDP 11/45 running the prior version of UNIX that was, ISTR, Version III.
Mine was a PDP 11/34 running UNIX Version 7 in the basement of the Psych building at the University of Waterloo, from 1979 to 1983. Those were the days. Lots of fun and dot matrix printing, which is the only way I could actually study and debug my code.
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:58 PM   #22
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Notepad++ here with some interesting bolt-ons.

(Including a JSON parser/formatter)
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:12 PM   #23
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Notepad++ here with some interesting bolt-ons.

(Including a JSON parser/formatter)
I didn't know there were plugins for it. So is there current development and a decent community for Notepad++? I admit that I pretty much use Windows just for Steam. I do my other stuff on Linux. My main editors are Emacs, GVim, and Typora (which is a Markdown editor that also works great on Windows and macOS).

I think Notepad++ is nice, though, and I use it for administrative stuff on Windows.
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:48 PM   #24
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

It is in active development, and I believe it has been ported to Linux. I've never bothered with it on that platform, though; mind you, since my work is on Windows systems I do most editing work there.
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:43 AM   #25
Wudang
BOFH

I didn't know there were plugins for it. So is there current development and a decent community for Notepad++?

Yes if you have an even vaguely recent version you should see "plugins" on the menu and a link to the plugin manager.
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:03 PM   #26
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by eerok

Thank you for your honesty
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:18 PM   #27
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thank you for your honesty
It was the only way I could think of to keep the dream alive that one day I might actually try to learn Elisp.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet