IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boris Johnson , donald trump , Putin conspiracies , Russia conspiracies , uk elections , uk politics , UK-Russia relations

Old 22nd July 2019, 09:41 AM   #81
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
At some point, it's clear that nuclear is going to be the way to go. Molten salt sounds like a great idea, if we can develop the technology and make it affordable. I fear that people's hysteria over nuclear is going to cost us dearly, however. Perhaps it already has.

Given that this needed to start at least 20 years ago, yeah, I'm going with it's likely already cost us more than we can fix at this point. We really need to get moving on it as quickly as humanly possible if we're going to have any chance of minimizing the damage to the point where we can continue living on this rock. Not seeing that happening, however.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:45 AM   #82
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Given that this needed to start at least 20 years ago, yeah, I'm going with it's likely already cost us more than we can fix at this point. We really need to get moving on it as quickly as humanly possible if we're going to have any chance of minimizing the damage to the point where we can continue living on this rock. Not seeing that happening, however.
Sounds like it's time to drink that sorrow away!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:17 AM   #83
Allen773
Graduate Poster

When has democracy not been in trouble?
Allen773 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:39 AM   #84
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Read quote again. I said I don't like what they want to do. Your snide response noted. Is that all anybody wants to do here now?

I worry about both left and right. I see no options in the middle and I am less concerned about social issues and more about how people spend our tax dollars. Being from California I have every reason to fear liberal policies.
Being from the US you should be more concerned about Republican spending policies. 2/3 of the US discretionally budget is defense related and Republicans are always insisting on spending more.

The bulk of mandatory spending goes to the elderly to support Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. While they occasionally make noise demanding Democrats cut these things, the fact is when they have control of congress they not only don’t cut them they expand them. Since this is a voting group that swings heavily Republican, don’t expect big spending Republicans to slow down any time soon.
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:06 PM   #85
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
the two (and soon to be three) commercial breeder reactors, but thorium-process reactors as well.
Wikipedia has a list of Gen III designs. The only breeder reactor is a Russian demonstration reactor, but hey Russian demonstration reactors are safe right? The only Thorium enabled design is a Candu design that has been dropped in favor of older Candu models because it too expensive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_III_reactor

Gen IV reactors are still a decade away, and while there likely will be a Molten Salt Reactor design in Gen IV it will be a solid fuel MSR not liquid-fuel. Liquid fuel MSR has been dropped from the Gen IV research, but hopefully makes it back for Gen V. Solid-fuel MSR lacks many of the safety advantages liquid-fuel MSR enjoy over current designs. Burning Thorium may not be practical in solid-fuel MSR designs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

https://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...-reactors.aspx
Quote:
There is now renewed interest in the MSR concept in Japan, Russia, China, France and the USA, and one of the six Generation IV designs selected for further development is the MSR in two distinct variants, the molten salt fast reactor (MSFR) and the advanced high temperature reactor (AHTR) – also known as the fluoride salt-cooled high-temperature reactor (FHR) with solid fuel, or PB-FHR specifically with pebble fuel. The Generation IV international Forum (GIF) mentions 'salt processing' as a technology gap for MSRs, putting the initial focus clearly on burners rather than breeders.

Since the 2002 Generation IV selection process, significant changes in design philosophy have taken place, according to a 2015 report by Energy Process Developments Ltd (EPD). The first is to design simpler, less ambitious, molten salt reactors that do not breed new fuel, do not require online fuel reprocessing and which use the well-established enriched uranium fuel cycle. In this regard, both American researchers and the China Academy of Sciences/SINAP are working on solid fuel, salt-cooled reactor technology as a realistic first step into MSRs.

Last edited by lomiller; 22nd July 2019 at 12:13 PM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 10:38 AM   #86
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Or maybe it's left wing lunacy that is driving everyone else to the breaking point? Can only speak for myself but that is a big part of it for me.
Bit of a necro... but I just wondered how this post has aged?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 11:48 AM   #87
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Like Gorgonzola cheese? Gets smellier as it ages.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:54 AM   #88
No Other
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Evidence right here:

'The parting on the left, is now the parting on the right'. - Who
That was Buzzfeed saying something without proof.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 11:58 AM   #89
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I liked that silly nuclear discussion. Especially that "Theoretically 4.5 billion tons of uranium are available from sea water at about 10 times the current price of uranium." part. Why nuclear power proponents would be bragging about already very costly power source being 10x more costly is beyond me. Oh wait, it is fuel alone? Riight, 2x costly is no biggie, maaan.

In general, nuclear power is uneconomical, period.

You can set up wind/solar literally 10 times faster (1-3 years, not 10-30 years), for significantly less $ with significantly more power generated, with unlimited "fuel", with no risk of making surrounding space unusuable for hundreds/thousands/gazilion years.

And both solar/wind and battery tech is improving rapidly. I don't see future for nuclear (fusion is different story, but has major financial issues - no bucks, no buck roger).

It is nobrainer, except for people emotionally and irrationally invested in nuclear energy, of course.
Old 14th January 2021, 02:37 PM   #90
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If you think that one is bad, you should seek out this poster’s manifesto screed about how liberals made them vote for Trump. It’s a real hoot and perfectly embodies the entitlement of the Conservative Persecution Complex that is the driving force for these fascist clowns.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 05:36 PM   #91
mgidm86
Philosopher

Quote:
Or maybe it's left wing lunacy that is driving everyone else to the breaking point? Can only speak for myself but that is a big part of it for me.

I'll tell you how my post above aged...TERRIBLY!!!

I haven't posted in probably a year or more. I have followed along for much of that time though, more-so recently. My last posts were not very nice and I haven't looked at my notifications following that.

My views have changed tremendously and I have been thinking that at some point I should come back here and say so. Give credit where it is due.

I'll keep it short for now because I'm not prepared for anything more today. I'm only responding because I have not seen myself quoted in a long time, so I figured what the heck, let's do this now.

Short version:
I hate Trump like I've never hated anyone in my life. I now see the Republican fear-mongering for what it is. I guess it took someone as bad as Trump for me to finally see it. And you guys helped as well.

The ISFers, many of whom I argued with, ignored and "hated", were right all along about this guy. I was wrong to ever defend him in any way.

I repeat, I was so wrong. He IS a racist. He IS deeply mentally disturbed. He should under no circumstances be President of this country.

I never supported Trump (that can be argued by people here and I'm fine with that), I just hated the libs that bad, as my above quote alludes to. That's all the Republicans have.

For all the Hillary hating I did here, I would vote for her over Trump any time.

That quote above is what ALL of the Trump supporters I know use as their main, possibly only, reason that they give for still supporting Trump. The libs are worse!

So now I'm in the position where I'm one of very few Trump haters in my family. The rest think I'm crazy now.

My sister said in an email recently, "Biden lies and is incompetent. He said 120 million people died of Covid!"

Seriously, that's all you got? She's worried about Biden stuttering, after Donald just tried to take away our right to vote? Her response, silence. Oh and she's sick of hearing about it all and covers her ears. I'll take that as a sign of knowing she's wrong, at least deep down somewhere.

I say it again - you guys were right about this clown all along. I still can't even believe how right you were and how blind I was.

You deserve credit for helping me see it.

But changing my views was difficult and took a long time. Scary part is that for people who know nothing about skepticism and bias, I have no idea what could change their minds.

And knowing that the people I love think this way has been a real struggle for me. I mean it is one of the biggest sources of stress I have right now. I felt like I had to do something.....

So I chose my Mom as a "student". Rather than telling her how bad Trump is I have been teaching her basic critical thinking. She is really into it, and has just bought Flim Flam. I tried to recommend a book that wasn't too text-bookie and more easy to read for her to get her feet wet.

My Mom also got scammed really bad last year, so hopefully she'll learn some things.

I figured I'd have more luck teaching her how to think than telling her what to think. And she's the only person in my family willing to listen to me. She is now challenging her friends and it's pretty cool to see.

She is seeing the light, but STILL has reservations in saying that Biden is the better choice, even after the capitol riot! "We'll see what happens" Uh....what?

But okay, I feel I've made a lot of progress so I accept that answer for now. Sigh.

Anyways, I've been wanting to post this here for awhile, but I do NOT want to start posting here every day. It's one reason I hesitated in posting this at all. I don't want to get sucked into this time-pit of a forum Seriously, as I've lurked here for the past year, every time I think I have something I need to say, someone else says it so I don't have to.

I have so much more I want to say, but that will be for another thread.

On Trump supporters:

One thing I will mention is that a lot of you guys are overthinking (poor word choice maybe) the reasons why people still support this guy. In my experience, it is very simple:

It doesn't even have to make sense:

- "Look at the riots in Portland! Libs want that! They're violent!"
- "They want our guns"
- "Biden has dementia and says stuff wrong!"
- "They want to take away my rights!"

That's it! Nothing more, and they certainly have nothing positive to say about Trump.

My Dad asked me one day. "Let me ask you, what is so great about Biden?"

My answer, "He isn't Trump, that's how bad Trump is!"

My Dad watches FOX, so he didn't know that Trump threatened to sue CNN for posting a poll showing Trump losing, or any of the gaffes he makes. He doesn't know about ANYthing because he watches FOX.

It's that simple. FOX almost won Trump the election. FOX can make Trump look competent and Presidential. Scary stuff.

I have not asked his opinion since election day. I'm both afraid to know, and hoping that he will see the light over time.

Trump voters are afraid of the evil libs. Every Trump voter I have talked to says the same thing and nothing else. Every article I read, every comment here...there is nothing but fear.

Sorry for the rambling post. I wrote this pretty fast and don't feel I articulated myself as well as I'd like, but it's a start.

Is this the answer you expected?

I have a lot more that I'd like to say someday.

Last edited by mgidm86; 18th January 2021 at 05:41 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 06:15 PM   #92
dirtywick
Illuminator

it really can be exhausting trying to talk to family members about trump, it's such a strange and unsettling devotion. i hope that everything ends well no matter whether you're successful or not
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #93
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

mgidm86,

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah, he's that bad. Conservatives are not that bad. Trump, though, is bad. Very, very, bad.
Fortunately, he's gone in about 40 hours.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:06 PM   #94
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, mgidm86, thanks for that post, for being honest enough not just to write it but to post it. I see it's been nominated already. Good on ya.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:52 PM   #95
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I haven't posted in probably a year or more. I have followed along for much of that time though, more-so recently. My last posts were not very nice and I haven't looked at my notifications following that.

My views have changed tremendously and I have been thinking that at some point I should come back here and say so. Give credit where it is due.

I'll keep it short for now because I'm not prepared for anything more today. I'm only responding because I have not seen myself quoted in a long time, so I figured what the heck, let's do this now.

Short version:
I hate Trump like I've never hated anyone in my life. I now see the Republican fear-mongering for what it is. I guess it took someone as bad as Trump for me to finally see it. And you guys helped as well.

The ISFers, many of whom I argued with, ignored and "hated", were right all along about this guy. I was wrong to ever defend him in any way.

I repeat, I was so wrong. He IS a racist. He IS deeply mentally disturbed. He should under no circumstances be President of this country.

I never supported Trump (that can be argued by people here and I'm fine with that), I just hated the libs that bad, as my above quote alludes to. That's all the Republicans have.

For all the Hillary hating I did here, I would vote for her over Trump any time.

That quote above is what ALL of the Trump supporters I know use as their main, possibly only, reason that they give for still supporting Trump. The libs are worse!

So now I'm in the position where I'm one of very few Trump haters in my family. The rest think I'm crazy now.

My sister said in an email recently, "Biden lies and is incompetent. He said 120 million people died of Covid!"

Seriously, that's all you got? She's worried about Biden stuttering, after Donald just tried to take away our right to vote? Her response, silence. Oh and she's sick of hearing about it all and covers her ears. I'll take that as a sign of knowing she's wrong, at least deep down somewhere.

I say it again - you guys were right about this clown all along. I still can't even believe how right you were and how blind I was.

But changing my views was difficult and took a long time. Scary part is that for people who know nothing about skepticism and bias, I have no idea what could change their minds.

And knowing that the people I love think this way has been a real struggle for me. I mean it is one of the biggest sources of stress I have right now. I felt like I had to do something.....

So I chose my Mom as a "student". Rather than telling her how bad Trump is I have been teaching her basic critical thinking. She is really into it, and has just bought Flim Flam. I tried to recommend a book that wasn't too text-bookie and more easy to read for her to get her feet wet.

My Mom also got scammed really bad last year, so hopefully she'll learn some things.

I figured I'd have more luck teaching her how to think than telling her what to think. And she's the only person in my family willing to listen to me. She is now challenging her friends and it's pretty cool to see.

She is seeing the light, but STILL has reservations in saying that Biden is the better choice, even after the capitol riot! "We'll see what happens" Uh....what?

But okay, I feel I've made a lot of progress so I accept that answer for now. Sigh.

Anyways, I've been wanting to post this here for awhile, but I do NOT want to start posting here every day. It's one reason I hesitated in posting this at all. I don't want to get sucked into this time-pit of a forum Seriously, as I've lurked here for the past year, every time I think I have something I need to say, someone else says it so I don't have to.

On Trump supporters:

One thing I will mention is that a lot of you guys are overthinking (poor word choice maybe) the reasons why people still support this guy. In my experience, it is very simple:

- "They want our guns"

That's it! Nothing more, and they certainly have nothing positive to say about Trump.

My Dad watches FOX, so he didn't know that Trump threatened to sue CNN for posting a poll showing Trump losing, or any of the gaffes he makes. He doesn't know about ANYthing because he watches FOX.

It's that simple. FOX almost won Trump the election. FOX can make Trump look competent and Presidential. Scary stuff.

I have not asked his opinion since election day. I'm both afraid to know, and hoping that he will see the light over time.

Trump voters are afraid of the evil libs. Every Trump voter I have talked to says the same thing and nothing else. Every article I read, every comment here...there is nothing but fear.

Sorry for the rambling post. I wrote this pretty fast and don't feel I articulated myself as well as I'd like, but it's a start.

Well done.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 01:11 AM   #96
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
mgidm86,

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah, he's that bad. Conservatives are not that bad. Trump, though, is bad. Very, very, bad.
Yes, thanks mgidm86, and agreed Meadmaker. There should be a choice of a decent liberal and a decent conservative party. Otherwise there's no choice.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:46 AM   #97
angrysoba
Philosophile

Short version:

On Trump supporters:

- "They want our guns"

Wow! Assuming this is not a hack or someone using his account without permission, fantastic post, man!

This is a truly rare sight and all the more laudable for it.

Nommed!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:06 AM   #98
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
mgidm86,

Cool. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes, mgidm86, thanks for that post, for being honest enough not just to write it but to post it. I see it's been nominated already. Good on ya.
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Well done.
Yes, thanks mgidm86, and agreed Meadmaker. There should be a choice of a decent liberal and a decent conservative party. Otherwise there's no choice.
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Wow! Assuming this is not a hack or someone using his account without permission, fantastic post, man!

This is a truly rare sight and all the more laudable for it.

Nommed!
I'll say it right now, if his post doesn't win TLA next round, the voting will have clearly been rigged.

Last edited by Mike!; 19th January 2021 at 08:07 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #99
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but thanks for posting all that when you really didn't have to and probably would have rather been fishing. (must have been a bad weather day!)

I remember your story about your mom as my dad had been scammed in a different way and it dawned on me that he was just as susceptible to that sort of scam. It was heartbreaking and I hope your family is recovering. If they can learn something from the experience, that's a silver lining, I suppose.

Glad to see you back. I hope you find more time to join in, but if you don't that's good, too.

Take care.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:40 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Short version:

On Trump supporters:

- "They want our guns"

I sumbolically kill the fatted calf for this returned Prodigal.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 03:26 PM   #101
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I'll say it right now, if his post doesn't win TLA next round, the voting will have clearly been rigged.
It's really me! Not sure how I can prove it Hmm I started a fishing thread awhile ago... I was actually nominated for a language award pretty much the day I left a little over a year ago. I didn't really follow that stuff so not sure what became of it. Was surprised though.

I've felt this way (rabidly anti-Trump) for quite awhile now but can't remember what stage I was at when I left here a year ago. I don't wanna look either!

This experience, this election and watching the people around me and around the world...I think it's fascinating. I also think it's very scary, but fascinating in its magnitude. It's remarkable how the mind can believe in something in the face of overwhelming evidence against it.

I mean this isn't normal politics where people can actually make a decent argument for being on either side (haha), this is a whole new level of WTF.

I've never seen anything like it.

It seems to me that the Trump supporters in my life are lost now. They can't possibly argue in favor of Trump - they never really did anyways. They argued against Biden. I think they want to rationalize everything that happened but are out of ideas. These people are angry, confused, and not really sure what to think. They're in shock.

I'm talking about normal conservatives like my parents, not the whacked out section of his base. They don't want to be wrong, but they see that they are (or do they) and are not sure what to do. They have nobody. They have no party.

Maybe. Hell I dunno!

I got in a discussion with my Mom's friend. He asked "How can you prove that Trump incited the riot when he never said x, y or z?"

After going over some of the events that lead to it I suddenly realized that there was an easier way to deal with it.

I asked him, "What if Obama or Hillary did all of this? Would you be asking these questions?"

Silence. End of discussion. That is the measuring stick I used to sort out all of this...what if your perceived enemy did the same thing Trump has done? If you can answer that honestly then it is all very clear.

And my parents know Trump is a bad guy. They are just that afraid of the Democrats.

And that, in my experience is what it's all about. Fear of the liberals. Hey I don't like some things the Dems want to do either! But a lot of their fears are based on lies and exaggerations.

The violent riots in Portland, the unfortunate wording of "De-fund The Police". FOX jumped all over that. The message is "Crazy Liberals Want To Get Rid Of The Police! Look At The Riots!!! That's what they want!"

Yes, every person I have talked to says exactly that. So does everyone in the media - Trump supporters interviewed on the street, pundits, Hannity. It's all about the evil Dems. NOTHING MORE.

It isn't about Trump or any one person either. The racism, the hatred, the trolling of the libs, all the reasons you see out there are all based on fear.

You all know that, but I'm just saying fear is not just part of the equation, it is the prime motivator.

But how afraid must they be to let a guy lie and try to steal an election? How do you shut off the stupid? Are they that afraid to admit they were wrong?

Okay that's enough for now!

Old 19th January 2021, 03:43 PM   #102
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not to jump on the bandwagon, but thanks for posting all that when you really didn't have to and probably would have rather been fishing. (must have been a bad weather day!)

I remember your story about your mom as my dad had been scammed in a different way and it dawned on me that he was just as susceptible to that sort of scam. It was heartbreaking and I hope your family is recovering. If they can learn something from the experience, that's a silver lining, I suppose.

Glad to see you back. I hope you find more time to join in, but if you don't that's good, too.

Take care.
Hey Doc! Ya I'd rather be fishing! Thank you for the kind words! I remember you commenting in that thread.

My Mom did get scammed, maybe that's where I left off here. It's off topic but briefly: they have recovered. They lost at least $350,000. Ya, a frickin big one. Most of their retirement savings. Might be a world record, crap. It was an 11 month long scam. If only she'd told me sooner.

They were able to save, then sell the house. It was close though. The cabinet business barely stayed open and has now been sold to one of the employees. My folks are living in their fifth-wheel trailer until the new house is built in Oregon. Nice trailer though!

So they made it. It was very scary and my StepDad found himself in the parking lot of the Golden Gate Bridge one day when it all began. He had a delivery in SF and said he made a wrong turn.

A man saw him crying outside his car and asked if he needed help. My stepDad said he wanted to call his pastor, and he ended up driving to Gilroy to talk to him with my Mom. I changed the combos to his gun safes, with his permission, and we just somehow got through it. They're marriage almost ended.

I tear up just typing this. Geez I can't believe we made it through that. What a scary time.

My Mom is reading Flim Flam, better late than never. I'm teaching her the importance of evidence based thinking. I had to have some kind of outlet during all this election crap. So I feel like I'm doing some good I guess.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back.
Old 19th January 2021, 03:56 PM   #103
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I sumbolically kill the fatted calf for this returned Prodigal.

Good to see familiar faces...er I mean avatars!

Last edited by mgidm86; 19th January 2021 at 04:01 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:10 PM   #104
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Hey Doc! Ya I'd rather be fishing! Thank you for the kind words! I remember you commenting in that thread.

My Mom did get scammed, maybe that's where I left off here. It's off topic but briefly: they have recovered. They lost at least $350,000. Ya, a frickin big one. Most of their retirement savings. Might be a world record, crap. It was an 11 month long scam. If only she'd told me sooner.

They were able to save, then sell the house. It was close though. The cabinet business barely stayed open and has now been sold to one of the employees. My folks are living in their fifth-wheel trailer until the new house is built in Oregon. Nice trailer though!

So they made it. It was very scary and my StepDad found himself in the parking lot of the Golden Gate Bridge one day when it all began. He had a delivery in SF and said he made a wrong turn.

A man saw him crying outside his car and asked if he needed help. My stepDad said he wanted to call his pastor, and he ended up driving to Gilroy to talk to him with my Mom. I changed the combos to his gun safes, with his permission, and we just somehow got through it. They're marriage almost ended.

I tear up just typing this. Geez I can't believe we made it through that. What a scary time.

My Mom is reading Flim Flam, better late than never. I'm teaching her the importance of evidence based thinking. I had to have some kind of outlet during all this election crap. So I feel like I'm doing some good I guess.

Oh that's heavy. Hope she can retrieve at least some of it.
Old 19th January 2021, 04:13 PM   #105
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Short version:

On Trump supporters:

- "They want our guns"

Took a lot of bottle to post that.

Kudos.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:10 PM   #106
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I am found
Was blind, but now I see.

Old 19th January 2021, 06:25 PM   #107
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Since you just changed, any advice about how to reach them?

It is easy to dismiss them as stupid or loony. I should know, I do that often, though it is more out of laziness than sincere thought they are literally mentally deficient. In all seriousness I am sure it is only very small minority of them that are truly basket cases.

But for the rest... there are questions, why they believe what they believe and how to convince them they are mistaken.

This is only chance to end it all more or less peacefully.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:36 PM   #108
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Eight years Obama was President, and he didn't do any of the 'crazy lib' things they're now convinced Biden (by international standards a boring moderate conservative) will do. How do you reason with such people?
Old 20th January 2021, 08:35 AM   #109
Abooga
Muse

Very interesting read mgidm86. I´m Spanish but I have some relatives in the US and they are all (afaik) Trump supporters. I haven´t spoken to them for a few years but I often wonder why they think as they do. I blame it on the way people live in (dis)information bubbles and are constantly bombarded from the same biased sources.

Trump was indeed horrible but let´s not forget that if he won it was (I think) in part due to a failure from the Democratic party, being too removed from the "common man", and promoting ideologies that didn´t resonate with too many people, and (this is perhaps only my perception*) due to corruption (legally corrupt perhaps, with all that lobbying dirty business) I remember someone here saying that Trump won because people thought the system was sick and Trump was like a chemoterapy, like a venom you take, knowing it is poisonous but hoping that it will purge your cancer.

I think remembering these things is useful at this time.

*it has been my perception that corruption is both the cause of most of society´s problems and more widespread than most people are aware of. But this is perhaps because I live in Spain and have had some first hand experience with it. Perhaps it is not that bad elsewhere, it´s hard to know.

Last edited by Abooga; 20th January 2021 at 08:52 AM.
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:04 AM   #110
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
Very interesting read mgidm86. I´m Spanish but I have some relatives in the US and they are all (afaik) Trump supporters. I haven´t spoken to them for a few years but I often wonder why they think as they do. I blame it on the way people live in (dis)information bubbles and are constantly bombarded from the same biased sources.
Don't assume you are immune. If you live anywhere in Europe, you likely live in an information bubble regarding Trump supporters, or even people who might not like Trump but oppose Democrats more.

Quote:
Trump was indeed horrible but let´s not forget that if he won it was (I think) in part due to a failure from the Democratic party, being too removed from the "common man", and promoting ideologies that didn´t resonate with too many people,
Some of those ideologies don't just not resonate, they are actively hostile to much of the middle and working class.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:11 AM   #111
No Other
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Eight years Obama was President, and he didn't do any of the 'crazy lib' things they're now convinced Biden (by international standards a boring moderate conservative) will do. How do you reason with such people?
Not sure how "crazy lib" is defined but there were plenty of Obama mistakes that ultimately led to Hillary's defeat in 2016.

1. Arab Spring was mishandled. We backed the Syrian Rebels plus we had our *** handed to us in Libya.
2. Taxes soared under Obama.
3. Highest rate of deportations... it is still the highest.
4. Did not fill judicial nominations with any urgency and that allowed Trump to stack the courts.
5. Recessions always occur but the recovery of the 2008 was the slowest since WWII.
6. Fast and Furious was a national disgrace.
7. The national debt went from $10T to $20T.

Worst of All:

Obama made drone strikes a policy, 540 drone strikes in 8 years. Trump continued this policy in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia (none of these countries have threatened the USA)... let's see if Biden will stop the attacks. History says "no" but let's give Biden a chance.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:13 AM   #112
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

none of these things were what Republicans claimed he was doing, i.e. taking away guns, replacing Christianity with Islam, putting critics in camps.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:19 AM   #113
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Not to continue the derail or try to be a one-upper, but my dad lost more over a much longer time period and ruined his marriage. He died thinking he was right and everyone else was wrong. So, I'm glad you were able to help your stepdad and your mom. A nice fifth wheel is a better place than some who have lost so much, but still probably not where they would want to be.

Welcome back or just swing by to catch up every now and again. I think you were a bit frustrated when you left, but these are frustrating times. And I don't have a good enough memory to hold grudges.

Take care.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:22 AM   #114
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
none of these things were what Republicans claimed he was doing, i.e. taking away guns, replacing Christianity with Islam, putting critics in camps.
#7 (massively increase national debt) is exactly what Republicans claimed he would do.

And it's not like Democrats didn't claim Trump would do stuff he never did. I haven't forgotten claims that he would start a war with Iran, for example.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:24 AM   #115
Abooga
Muse

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Don't assume you are immune. If you live anywhere in Europe, you likely live in an information bubble regarding Trump supporters, or even people who might not like Trump but oppose Democrats more.
[...].
Yes, I know... but some people are specially cosy in their bubble. I´m not, and I actively try to look elsewhere. But it´s not easy...
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:29 AM   #116
Abooga
Muse

Also, regarding the OP, democracy is in trouble from the moment that someone can claim that the voting system was rigged, and that claim doesn´t get laughed at in a similar way as "the earth is flat" would. The voting system should be so transparent and foolproof that those claims would never be taken seriously by anyone. Electronic voting is not such as system, so democracy is... not in trouble, I´d say finished, the day electronic voting is widely used.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:36 AM   #117
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

#7 (massively increase national debt) is exactly what Republicans claimed he would do.

And it's not like Democrats didn't claim Trump would do stuff he never did. I haven't forgotten claims that he would start a war with Iran, for example.
you mean what Bush jr. did?
What Republicans supported?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:38 AM   #118
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
Also, regarding the OP, democracy is in trouble from the moment that someone can claim that the voting system was rigged, and that claim doesn´t get laughed at in a similar way as "the earth is flat" would. The voting system should be so transparent and foolproof that those claims would never be taken seriously by anyone. Electronic voting is not such as system, so democracy is... not in trouble, I´d say finished, the day electronic voting is widely used.
I agree. But I'm worried Democrats won't take this problem seriously. Their guy won, there isn't proof of widespread fraud, so that's likely good enough for them.

Except it isn't. The system isn't sufficiently transparent or sufficiently secure. There are systematic problems, and they need fixing. And yes, that includes getting rid of electronic voting. All votes should be paper. Electronic tabulation of votes (ie, machine readers of paper ballots) is fine, since that can be double checked by hand, but purely computer votes should be off the table across the board. But that's only the start. There are a whole bunch of problems with the way even paper ballot voting was and is handled that really need addressing. Unfortunately that probably won't happen. The winners rarely feel incentive to reform an election process they won, even if it's for the good of the nation.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:43 AM   #119
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
you mean what Bush jr. did?
What Republicans supported?
Oh, I'm well aware of Republican politician's hypocrisy regarding budgets, though Obama's debt increase really blew past W's debt increases. Nevertheless, the fact remains that Republicans did say Obama would explode the debt, and that's exactly what he did. You claimed they were wrong about that, but they were not. And this response doesn't constitute a retraction of a false claim or even a defense of that claim, but merely an attempt at deflection.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:54 AM   #120
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I agree. But I'm worried Democrats won't take this problem seriously. Their guy won, there isn't proof of widespread fraud, so that's likely good enough for them.
Proof? How about any indication whatsoever of any fraud, beyond the trace elements that would accompany any election in the hundreds of millions? Where is a scrap of anything resembling actual evidence of foul play, beyond the inescapable background noise?

This disinformation campaign conducted by Trump and the GOP is nothing short of felonious. The entire party should be sharing a cell with Trump and his gang.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events